OLED Elevator Pitch - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-01-2014, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 101
OLED Elevator Pitch

How do you convey the wonders of OLED to a non-technophile in a short amount of time?

I've had many guests around the house who are curious about the LG OLED because of its peculiar looks, but when they ask "what is special about it?", I find that words like "black levels" do not ring a bell at all to non-technophiles.

So I can either confuse them with talk of black levels and organic leds, or I can mention the obvious like the curve and the thinnes... which unfortunately implies it's a vanity purchase.

So what to tell them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014, 02:06 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Play the Carbonaro effect, Tel them because of the organic structure of the panel, it reads my mind and changes to a channel that I want to watch without using the remote, If they can't notice the black levels I'm pretty sure they would believe something like this.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 87
1. Never looks washed out
2. Rich colors
3. Few motion artifacts
4. Much thinner designs
5. Potential for flexible/rollable designs

Limit yourself to 3 or 5 of those and only expand if asked.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Hahaha! So if someone is asking me about OLED, I let loose and explain to them why having true blacks has so much impact and importance, which can be almost brief enough, but I let them have it enthusiastically and make it as though they need to know.

So I'll just go right into it explaining to them quickly that if your black level is perfect, and you solve the issue of contrast we have with LCD screens and we get that great contrast between our deepest blacks and our brightest whites, then then whole image pops (I'll do a cheesy snapping of my fingers when I say "pops") because of the effect of that great contrast. I'll always go onto telling them that if black is perfect, it makes more accurate and rich colors possible sometimes using the imagery of describing true black as the perfect canvas for color on a screen like some on here have. Then I'll just drive it home by harping on how much impact solving that problem has, and go into the fact that many have found this element of the picture to make the image seem more sharp, colorful, and clear than the addition of 4K when comparing it to an OLED that is only HD. (I'll usually admit to being excited about 4K anyway at that point).

It's more than they bargained for, but that's what they get for probably not investing too much care into their picture quality.

Last edited by Hinsoog; 08-04-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked: 329
Just tell them that it looks better than LCD and plasma.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Just turn it on and show them

Matt
Old 08-01-2014, 11:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 883
Leave out a completely useless TV feature like "potential for rollable/flexible designs". That has absolutely zero potential to sell a current TV to anyone that some future TV might be WiiMote proof....

As to the inability to elevator pitch OLED, I think you've figured out the marketing problem for the technology. Thinness beyond a certain point isn't a meaningful marketing advantage. Consumers generally don't care about dark-room contrast (sales figures prove this) and LCDs are fine at bright-room contrast. Decades of lousy color reproduction has left most people immune to caring about accurate/rich/whatever color. Etc. etc.

OLED is the best flat-panel technology we've seen. And most people will never buy one unless/until it replaces LCD and costs the same.
fafrd likes this.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
Old 08-02-2014, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post
How do you convey the wonders of OLED to a non-technophile in a short amount of time?

I've had many guests around the house who are curious about the LG OLED because of its peculiar looks, but when they ask "what is special about it?", I find that words like "black levels" do not ring a bell at all to non-technophiles.

So I can either confuse them with talk of black levels and organic leds, or I can mention the obvious like the curve and the thinnes... which unfortunately implies it's a vanity purchase.

So what to tell them?
Once you and the guys have it nailed down tight, I'll try it on my wife just in time for the 65 LG release in September. My current elevator speech just isn't up to the task. I guess I'll just have to go solo on the reasons the family needs OLED. Just like plasma....
Old 08-03-2014, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15feetAway View Post
Once you and the guys have it nailed down tight, I'll try it on my wife just in time for the 65 LG release in September. My current elevator speech just isn't up to the task. I guess I'll just have to go solo on the reasons the family needs OLED. Just like plasma....
Haha, the jury is still out if we ever will

Did you ever successfully pitch plasma to her?

If you have the time to show a video, I find something like this very impressive: https://vimeo.com/74901989

It has the magic of objects appearing to float in mid-air, and some strong colors to boot.

If you are constrained to only using words, maybe instead of listing technical improvements - that may not be understood - it's better to dvelve into the background story, like:
"You know how for many years we had the bulgy CRT TVs? And then one day, plasma and LCD technology came along, which gave us the flatscreens we use today? ... Well, now the next step is here. This is an OLED."
Old 08-03-2014, 01:45 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1050 Post(s)
Liked: 745
Just play the Kuro Demo YouTube video, if a picture is worth a thousand words a video is worth a million. If I had never see an OLED and some one played that video I would know that this was picture quality I have never seen before.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2
If you are constrained to only using words, maybe instead of listing technical improvements - that may not be understood - it's better to dvelve into the background story, like:
"You know how for many years we had the bulgy CRT TVs? And then one day, plasma and LCD technology came along, which gave us the flatscreens we use today? ... Well, now the next step is here. This is an OLED."

Sorry - I'll give you an 'A' for effort, but that's pretty weak.

If you are coming from plasma, the key selling features need to be bright-room viewing, 4K resolution, a much lighter, thinner TV that consumes less power, and a larger screen size (you can try richer colors and deeper blacks but in my experience that's rarely a winning argument).

If you are coming from LED/LCD, the key selling features need to be much better viewing angles (everyone in the room gets to enjoy the same fantastic image quality), and a more 'movie-theater-like' cinema experience (no jumping around of the image brightness, no distracting grey-black letterbox bars), as well as the larger screen and 4K image resolution assuming you are moving up from a smaller 1080p screen. (and same comment as far as colors and blacks).

In addition, if your household is a fan of 3D, there is always the 'full' 3D experience of LG 4K WOLED passive 3D...
Old 08-03-2014, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
If you are coming from plasma, the key selling features need to be bright-room viewing, 4K resolution, a much lighter, thinner TV that consumes less power, and a larger screen size (you can try richer colors and deeper blacks but in my experience that's rarely a winning argument).

If you are coming from LED/LCD, the key selling features need to be much better viewing angles (everyone in the room gets to enjoy the same fantastic image quality), and a more 'movie-theater-like' cinema experience (no jumping around of the image brightness, no distracting grey-black letterbox bars), as well as the larger screen and 4K image resolution assuming you are moving up from a smaller 1080p screen. (and same comment as far as colors and blacks).
... but that's pretty technical, and many of the things you mention aren't unique to OLEDs.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
... but that's pretty technical, and many of the things you mention aren't unique to OLEDs.

Well, I've already put some of them in 'SO-speak', but if you need me translate the full list (coming from plasma):

Bright-room viewing = "We'll be able to watch TV during the day and it won't look washed-out"

4K resolution = "The image will be even sharper and more detailed - it's so life-like it will make your jaw drop."

Larger Screen Size = "We'll be able to have a larger, more movie-theater-like experience, especially when watching wide screen movies"

Consuming less power hopefully speaks for itself (and is usually an easy selling point to SOs :-)

This list was not intended to be unique to OLED but the elevator pitch for buying a new TV in general (which just happens to be an OLED :-)

If you've already made the sale for a new TV and the question with your SO is OLED versus LED/LCD, you're in an entirely different category than me :-)
Old 08-04-2014, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Haha, the jury is still out if we ever will

Did you ever successfully pitch plasma to her?

If you have the time to show a video, I find something like this very impressive: https://vimeo.com/74901989

It has the magic of objects appearing to float in mid-air, and some strong colors to boot.

Yeah, convinced her on the Panny Plasma....
Old 08-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 307
It makes 2d look almost 3d

At least, that's what I have had multiple people tell me in so many words
"Wow, looks 3d"
"So, is that is thing, 3d."(while watching 2d)
Morning5 likes this.
Old 08-05-2014, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post

"Wow, looks 3d"
Oh, that's a good one - 'glasses-free 3D' !!!
Old 08-05-2014, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post

"Wow, looks 3d"
The perfect black level makes everything seem like its floating in the air? I mean bright things in the middle of a black screen
Old 08-05-2014, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Right,This list was not intended to be unique to OLED but the elevator pitch for buying a new TV in general.[IMG]http://*******/prvoPz[/IMG]
Old 08-06-2014, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Oh, that's a good one - 'glasses-free 3D' !!!
Even better, 3d-free 3d! None of the dimness, low resolution, or glasses.
Old 08-06-2014, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Even better, 3d-free 3d! None of the dimness, low resolution, or glasses.

How about 4D! :-)

(or maybe 3D+, despite the fact that it's really 3D-)