On the fence. 55" or 65" OLED - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-05-2014, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 39
On the fence. 55" or 65" OLED

I'm really wavering on which one to get. Help me out with your opinions.

65" -
Plus - Bigger screen, 4K, future-proofed your TV if more UHD material becomes available in the near future. 4k works great with passive 3D. Massive WOW factor.
Minus - May have to argue with the Mrs about a big ol' screen in the living room. Present mounts may not work.

55" -
Plus - $3k cheaper (which really is big factor), just moderate bump in size (current is a 50" Panny Plasma).
Minus - No 4k, so if it catches on, I'm going to beat myself on why I didn't get in the first place.

Any more pluses and minuses you think I should consider ?

Appreciate your input. Fire away !!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman425 View Post

65" -
Plus - Bigger screen, 4K, future-proofed your TV if more UHD material becomes available in the near future. 4k works great with passive 3D. Massive WOW factor.
Minus - May have to argue with the Mrs about a big ol' screen in the living room. Present mounts may not work.

55" -
Plus - $3k cheaper (which really is big factor), just moderate bump in size (current is a 50" Panny Plasma).
Minus - No 4k, so if it catches on, I'm going to beat myself on why I didn't get in the first place.

If dying subpixels is an inevitable impact of owning an early-gen WOLED, a dead 4K subpixel is going to be only 25% as noticeable as a dead 1080p subpixel (or 27% as noticeable if watching the larger screen size from the same distance :-)
jman425 and Masterbrew2 like this.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked: 304
65 if you can afford it
Old 08-05-2014, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Well what size display do you own.If its a 55 then you need to get a 65.If you dont go bigger for each display you buy you will be disappointed and loose the wow factor.If you go backwards on size you will truly regret it.

Matt
Old 08-05-2014, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg3 View Post
Well what size display do you own.If its a 55 then you need to get a 65.If you dont go bigger for each display you buy you will be disappointed and loose the wow factor.If you go backwards on size you will truly regret it.
^ that's my conclusion every time I try to talk myself into moving to a 55" Oled from a 60" Sharp Elite. I would never be happy going smaller. I will go big or go home. It's the 65EC9700 or ride it out with my Elite. Which is still an amazing tv.
mattg3 likes this.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs47 View Post
^ that's my conclusion every time I try to talk myself into moving to a 55" Oled from a 60" Sharp Elite. I would never be happy going smaller. I will go big or go home. It's the 65EC9700 or ride it out with my Elite. Which is still an amazing tv.

I'll be interested in how you contrast your 60" Sharp Elite to the LG 65EA9700 once you own it :-)
Old 08-05-2014, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs47 View Post
Go 65 4K OLED you will never look back.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

65" -

55" -

All depends on your budget and how far you sit from the TV. $3000 is a lot of money to save.
jman425 likes this.

Last edited by Vegas oled; 08-05-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
I'll be interested in how you contrast your 60" Sharp Elite to the LG 65EA9700 once you own it :-)
I love the Elite. Best tv I have owned. Every time I have upgraded over the years it has always been for the better. I upgrade every 2-3 years. I've had my Elite 2 years, so I'm itching to upgrade. The Oleds I have seen look amazing. I know it will be a nice upgrade, except............"the curve!"
I don't mind it. The wife hates it. I get the final vote though. So for Oled owners I have another question. I watch lots of sports. How does the curved oled do with football,baseball,etc.? Any weird things going on in the picture? Distortions on the fields? I know the bottom screen crawls have to be affected but I can live with that, I usually try to ignore those. I did see a YouTube oled video review with a football game on the screen. It actually looked really nice.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

only con to the curve i have noticed is that its smaller than the flat
i had my 55 curved next to my 55 flat and the flat looked bigger, almost like i downgraded a little bit in size
15feetAway likes this.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Baseball, golf and football all look amazing, Especially baseball. Coming from a 50" it will be an all around upgrade for you. I tried the 65 Sony and loved the size but baseball never looked as food on the Sony.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Do you play video games? If so, the 1080p model will probably have lower input lag.

No matter what, you should not go down in size compared to your current set. You will probably end up disappointed if you do.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:14 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:

65" -

55" -

I have the 55" OLED, and if someone offered me to upgrade it to 65" for $3k I'd take it

But it would honestly be a bit foolish, but I guess I am a fool when it comes to these things. I feel like there is very little content that takes the resolving power of my current 1080p over 55" to its fullest.

Getting the 4k 65", I'd probably be super excited for the first week, tracking down any high resolution content that I could find and being thrilled about it on the big 4k screen, and then once I've tired of that I'll go back to watching content based on how interesting the story and characters are, or how fun a game is...

When I'm watching a documentary in 480p on World War 1, because it's super duper interesting, then I might feel a bit foolish seeing it play on a massive 65" 4k display.
jman425 likes this.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterbrew2 View Post
I have the 55" OLED, and if someone offered me to upgrade it to 65" for $3k I'd take it

But it would honestly be a bit foolish, but I guess I am a fool when it comes to these things. I feel like there is very little content that takes the resolving power of my current 1080p over 55" to its fullest.

Getting the 4k 65", I'd probably be super excited for the first week, tracking down any high resolution content that I could find and being thrilled about it on the big 4k screen, and then once I've tired of that I'll go back to watching content based on how interesting the story and characters are, or how fun a game is...

When I'm watching a documentary in 480p on World War 1, because it's super duper interesting, then I might feel a bit foolish seeing it play on a massive 65" 4k display.
Well how does 480P look on your 55 OLED?

Matt
Old 08-06-2014, 04:49 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Like I said, not much content takes my 55 oled to its fullest. 480p documentary being a more extreme example.

The content that does, and which I want to watch, is stuff like True Detective on bluray.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

For those that didn't read the first post thoroughly, I currently have a 50" Panny G series plasma.
Primary uses are sports, news/documentaries, kids shows and movies. Room is well lit but easily controlled to dim with a few flicks of a switch and window blinds.

The wifey is receptive to spending $3k to upgrade (she was blown away by the OLED display at Frys) but 6k will be a tough swallow, almost too extravagant for our current budget.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
For those that didn't read the first post thoroughly, I currently have a 50" Panny G series plasma.
Primary uses are sports, news/documentaries, kids shows and movies. Room is well lit but easily controlled to dim with a few flicks of a switch and window blinds.

The wifey is receptive to spending $3k to upgrade (she was blown away by the OLED display at Frys) but 6k will be a tough swallow, almost too extravagant for our current budget.

Well then, it sounds like your choices are going to be between the 64" 1080p F8500 (while they last), the 55" 1080p OLED, or possibly a 65" 4K LED/LCD if you can stomach the poorer off-axis viewing.

For OLED, $3000 is not going to get you a 65" anytime soon... If we are lucky, they may be just under $5000 by year-end.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:

If LG has truly fixed the yield and quality problems, you should be able to get the 65" 4K on clearance for around $4000 by the end of next year.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytech View Post
If LG has truly fixed the yield and quality problems, you should be able to get the 65" 4K on clearance for around $4000 by the end of next year.

And if not, for a lot lower then that :-)
Old 08-06-2014, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
oled really shows the the flaws with poor sources
Quote:

sounds like the 65' isnt an option, see if MC still has the sale, if not, Cleveland Plasma seems to have the best price out there at $3k
Old 08-06-2014, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5x10 View Post
oled really shows the the flaws with poor sources

sounds like the 65' isnt an option, see if MC still has the sale, if not, Cleveland Plasma seems to have the best price out there at $3k
Unless the 1st gen goes on a massive liquidation fire sale (around $1500), think I will stick with the EC9300. The price difference is small but with better upside, as well as applying the lessons learned from the 1st gen panels, seems like the better choice. Already on the list for Cleveland
5x10 likes this.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas oled View Post
Baseball, golf and football all look amazing, Especially baseball. Coming from a 50" it will be an all around upgrade for you. I tried the 65 Sony and loved the size but baseball never looked as food on the Sony.
Can you post some screenshots Vegas? Baseball,sportscenter,etc. I know they won't do the PQ justice,but it can give an idea of the out of town ticker,etc. I guess I'm still concerned with the curve. I'm sure I would get used to it and it won't be a bother. And the curve really looks kind of "slight" on the LG's. But some more screenshots would be cool. Any other owners feel welcome to post some as well.
Thanks guys! I'm sure I'll be a fellow owner soon enough.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I will post for you later his evening. The curve is really a non-issue that you will get issued to in 10 minutes. I have seen a little of a ticker issue on the Samsung 65HU9000. might just not be noticeable on a 55" The curve helps in my room with windows but this will vary depending on what is across form the TV.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your Wife is on board with the OLED 55" don't look back. Talk Her into the new model and take advantage of the Best Buy sale this week if you can. 10 bit color panel on the new set has me excited that the uniformity thing might be history.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Your Wife is on board with the OLED 55" don't look back. Talk Her into the new model and take advantage of the Best Buy sale this week if you can. 10 bit color panel on the new set has me excited that the uniformity thing might be history.

Are the 55EC9300s supposed to be in stock at BB this week?
Old 08-06-2014, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Are the 55EC9300s supposed to be in stock at BB this week?

My guess is some display models might be. I will more than likely schedule mine to be delivered on the 23rd. $3500 is an excellent price that may not be available for very long.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
My guess is some display models might be. I will more than likely schedule mine to be delivered on the 23rd. $3500 is an excellent price that may not be available for very long.

Well I don't want to curb your enthusiasm or anything, but that last statement is almost certain to prove incorrect.

I'm pretty sure that as we get into the holiday shopping season, we will discover that the Microcenter price was more than just a 'dumb mistake' The 55EC9300 may not get all the way down to that level, but it is almost certainly going to be available for under $3000 before year-end.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Would love to see a lot more people purchase oleds so if they get it for less that will be great.
Old 08-06-2014, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Would love to see a lot more people purchase oleds so if they get it for less that will be great.

They have to (or rather, LG needs to do everything possible to entice them to :-)
I see the Best Buy kiosk installation video as a good sign that LG is planning to make a splash with their new OLED products this Holiday Season...
Old 08-06-2014, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Has cable announced any dates they will be doing 4k?

I was asking myself the same question 2 months ago & I'm really glad I didn't go with the 4k. Converted a movie to 4k to see what the file size was. At 35 GB for 2 hours, cable & many other industries are too far behind. Let's call it 20GB for 2 hours since my converter is higher than most. Newest 3D DVR by Comcast holds 100 hours, it's going to be a minimum of 1.5 -2 years in my opinion looking at those aspects. To me it wasn't worth the extra price if I couldn't use cable on it soon.
The new Panasonic, Sony, etc have come a long way yet Samsung still offers the best 1080 LED for the price on the market. Also, regardless of brand the majority of prices you see on the net are of 2013 models I found out, so don't let the 'good deal' deceive you. The 2014 model is a must if you're spending that. My recommendation is the Samsung 8000 series or the 7000. Pay the extra 50-100 for the 3D, even if you don't use it the picture quality provided on standard is just better. Love the Samsung 7155 we got, excellent purchase