Thin Vertical Lines on Samsung UN55D7000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-12-2014, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy Thin Vertical Lines on Samsung UN55D7000

I've had my Samsung LED TV for about 2.5 years (out of warranty). Recently out of nowhere it's started to display thin vertical lines down the screen. There are 30+ lines in the middle of the screen and a few around the left/right edges.

Depending on what color is shown the lines become more noticeable. For brighter colors - mostly green and some shades of red/blue/yellow - the area of the line becomes a dark color. Other colors - it either disappears or blends in as an off-color of whats shown.

Attached a picture and found a video of the same issue:

Seems to slowly be getting worse / more noticeable. I've been researching but cant quite seem to figure out what happened or how to fix it. Tried calling Samsung but they weren't any help since its out of warranty.

Any options or ideas on how to fix it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-10 20.00.32.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	209913  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-13-2014, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 925
I saw damage once online that was caused by someone spraying the screen with water that then dripped downward to the connections & LED's that then (once current was applied) caused a reaction that corroded the contacts. I could see how this might look like what you're seeing depending upon what is corroded.

In any case, my first guess is that it's not fixable other than to replace the panel....and if the TV is more than a couple years old I would be inclined to have this be a replacement of the TV.

rodtsasdt 111111report*
P-1 CUR ALLOC 20195.....5805M
HELLO GREGORY
post #3 of 9 Old 08-13-2014, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazed View Post
I've had my Samsung LED TV for about 2.5 years (out of warranty). Recently out of nowhere it's started to display thin vertical lines down the screen. There are 30+ lines in the middle of the screen and a few around the left/right edges.

Depending on what color is shown the lines become more noticeable. For brighter colors - mostly green and some shades of red/blue/yellow - the area of the line becomes a dark color. Other colors - it either disappears or blends in as an off-color of whats shown.

Attached a picture and found a video of the same issue:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzpFNRXsKjw

Seems to slowly be getting worse / more noticeable. I've been researching but cant quite seem to figure out what happened or how to fix it. Tried calling Samsung but they weren't any help since its out of warranty.

Any options or ideas on how to fix it?
You could try popping the back off and seeing if any ribbon cables are loose (unplug it first!) but otherwise yes, bad panel. I had a a 55D7000 that went thru 3 panels in 18 months due to vertical lines appearing; Samsung finally swapped it out for an ES7100.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-13-2014, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb6752 View Post
You could try popping the back off and seeing if any ribbon cables are loose (unplug it first!) but otherwise yes, bad panel. I had a a 55D7000 that went thru 3 panels in 18 months due to vertical lines appearing; Samsung finally swapped it out for an ES7100.
Ah bad news. Were you under warranty every time it was replaced?
post #5 of 9 Old 08-13-2014, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
I saw damage once online that was caused by someone spraying the screen with water that then dripped downward to the connections & LED's that then (once current was applied) caused a reaction that corroded the contacts. I could see how this might look like what you're seeing depending upon what is corroded.

In any case, my first guess is that it's not fixable other than to replace the panel....and if the TV is more than a couple years old I would be inclined to have this be a replacement of the TV.
There wasn't any water damage or physical damage (that I know about at least). It has been mounted on the wall in a safe spot for some time now. It'll be my last Samsung TV thats for sure. Question for you - when I go into the tv settings and set color to 0 (which turns it to black/white display) - there are no noticeable issues. Would I still see something if it was a corroded contact issue?
post #6 of 9 Old 08-13-2014, 09:49 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Ah bad news. Were you under warranty every time it was replaced?
No, technically it was out of the initial warranty + any repair warranties, but Samsung's customer service reps were able to extend the warranty and authorize the replacement... but that was just a 3 month extension, not 2-3 years.
post #7 of 9 Old 08-13-2014, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
It'll be my last Samsung TV thats for sure.
Do you say this simply because you're having an issue with it? There's a chance with every single product you buy, in this day and age, for something to go wrong. If consumers blacklisted manufacturers every time they had a problem with one of their products, there would be no one left for them to buy from.

TVs (and every other big product) are more mass produced than ever. Of course, with the overall quality of components being lower, some will not last as long as others. This should be expected.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-13-2014, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 925
Quote:
There wasn't any water damage or physical damage (that I know about at least). It has been mounted on the wall in a safe spot for some time now. It'll be my last Samsung TV thats for sure. Question for you - when I go into the tv settings and set color to 0 (which turns it to black/white display) - there are no noticeable issues. Would I still see something if it was a corroded contact issue?
Actually this is interesting information. This might well be a motherboard issue. If your TV is using an RGB stripe subpixel layout, it will be achieving the gray levels by using all three colors. If the grays are always intact, I believe it no longer means that there are subpixel vertical lines not properly "connected". Frankly, I'm not sure what to say here. Perhaps some kind of capacitor malfunction when the RGB subs aren't all driven?

I did a google image search a few different ways for TVs with vertical lines and didn't see precisely what your issue was, but I did see (potentially) semi-similar problems. I would schedule a repair to make sure, but post in some repair forum first. Perhaps here: badcaps forum --- Troubleshooting TVs and Video Sources

rodtsasdt 111111report*
P-1 CUR ALLOC 20195.....5805M
HELLO GREGORY
post #9 of 9 Old 08-15-2014, 04:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 124
This is an extremely common issue with D-series Samsung TVs. I think about half of all the faults with this TV are bad LCD panels. The other half, usually bad LED backlight... that is fixable but is very expensive and labour intensive so in most cases is not worth it.
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General
Gear in this thread