Rca tv's - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tom669

post #1 of 11 Old 08-22-2014, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Rca tv's

I see best buy has a RCA 40'' TV on sale for $249.45.. Is RCA a good buy or should I pass.

Thank you for your time..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-22-2014, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by notetime2 View Post
I see best buy has a RCA 40'' TV on sale for $249.45.. Is RCA a good buy or should I pass.

Thank you for your time..
RCA is a re-badge manufacturer selling the same products as Insignia/Dynex/etc with an RCA logo on the front. So you would get basically the same quality going with a cheaper manufacturer.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-22-2014, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

The salesman at best buy told me Insignia was manufactured by LG... This not true?
post #4 of 11 Old 08-22-2014, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The salesman at best buy told me Insignia was manufactured by LG... This not true?
This is what would be called a lie, although it's more out of ignorance, I'm sure.

LG used to manufacture the plasma panels for older Insignia plasma TVs (until they moved over to Samsung modules then stopped making plasma models altogether.)

They may occasionally manufacture the LCD panels but they have never manufactured the electronics for Insignia TVs. Most Insignias use Samsung or Chimei panels.

In general Insignia is hit-and-miss with some models being surprisingly well made (such as the Amtran ones, which are essentially Vizio TVs) and others being steaming piles of manure. It would be an ok choice for an occasionally used bedroom TV that you would not mind if it broke down, but you would not want one as a main TV, IMHO.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-23-2014, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

This is the RCA TV I'm asking an opinion on.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-23-2014, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I had to laugh at this: "LED displays perform well in all lighting conditions. They also deliver plasma-like deep blacks and rich colors." Greatest trick in the TV market was for them to market LED-backlighting as an entirely new display technology and as having somehow improved image contrast.

As for the opinion, it's a cheap TV, so it may not last long, will offer mediocre image quality, but might be right for you. Buying a warranty probably isn't worth it, plan to replace it about 3 years down the line.
videobruce likes this.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-26-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Greatest trick in the TV market was for them to market LED-backlighting as an entirely new display technology and as having somehow improved image contrast.
Trick no, scam, yes. Thank Samsung for that. At least over in England something was about it.

Don't buy anything with a RCA name attached to it.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-26-2014, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2130 Post(s)
Liked: 1013
I think you need to define "good buy". The RCA is "cheap" and thus, probably lacks some of the things most people that visit these forums look for. If you are not looking for something that will blow your mind but instead "just a TV" and you don't care too much about quality of said TV, then you should be OK...as it has just been said, most would probably save for a better TV, but if you need a TV now, cant afford anything more, or don't care that much about the quality of the image, then this should be fine. Just go in knowing that the results may equal the price
post #9 of 11 Old 08-29-2014, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 373 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Quote:
This simply is NOT the RCA of the past - it's owned by Thompson Electronics rebadging some POS disposable TV. My first LCD was an RCA almost 12 years ago, a 23" Kitchen counter and the only time it looked good was OFF! I resold it a week later on EBay but it had, SDE, horrific color, and this was when this size cost $700 on sale for a budget panel the Sony I replaced it with was $1500 on sale back then.

You have to be careful with following old nameplate models like RCA, Zenith and now JVC which is owned by Taiwan Company that bought the rights to the name. They buy the name knowing Joe Consumer is rarely following the source behind the name and aware of the power of brand loyalty or the loss of PQ, longevity and replacement parts for such. Often your not getting what you think.

Budget panels at these sizes often have built in obsolescence within the back light systems = shorter life spans. HDGuru used to dub them all as disposables. After all, how much profit can there be in a $249 40" TV - Nominal even if using slave labor somewhere on the planet - I wouldn't expect much PQ, features, or longevity on any $249 new TV.

Samsung 75HU8550w/SEK-3500-UHDVideoPk, 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Philips Folio Soundbar
XBoxOne/360, FPS's Borderlands 1/2, EDF 2017/2025, Halo's

Last edited by westa6969; 08-29-2014 at 08:55 AM.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-30-2014, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

The following formerly good names are now to be avoided for any new TV purchase:
- Sub-$1000 Toshiba - junk made by whoever bids the lowest
- Sub-$1000 Sharp - made by BestBuy/Insignia
- Sanyo (in the EU)
- Hitachi (rebadged)
- JVC (excluding projectors)
- RCA as discussed
- Philips/Magnavox (Philips left the TV industry about a year ago)
- <22" LG (rebadged)

Zenith is owned by LG. Back a few years ago you could buy a Zenith 50" 720p plasma, and it was identical to the LG model for $100 more aside from the menu interface being coloured blue instead of LG's pink.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-30-2014, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 25
1) “Actual Owners” of the RCA LED40C45RQ like the TV.

Wal-Mart
79% or 30 out of 38 buyers would recommend this product to a friend. Out of the 8 owners that don’t recommend – most got a broken TV due to shipping.

23 *****
8 ****
7 *

BestBuy
89% or 398 of 448 buyers would recommend this product to a friend.

196 *****
182 ****
43 ***
12 **
15 *

------------
2) You can get a decent 40+ inch TV for under $300. A perfect example is the Samsung PN43F4500 Plasma.

Many of the expensive TVs are expensive because of gimmicks. All kinds of useless noise reduction gimmicks, smoother motion gimmicks local dimming gimmicks etc. Stupid things that actually make the picture worse and should be turned off.

Add to the cost smart features that become outdated very fast. You’d be better offer getting external smart features built into BD players and media players.

Sure a better brand may have a little better picture but really you’re mostly paying more for stupid gimmicky processing that should be turned off anyway. And smart features that get outdated real fast and it would be smarter to buy smart features built into external boxes.

------------

3) Someone please show me truthful, actual verifiable info that states that RCA TVs have a much lower longevity rating than the more expensive brands. In 2008 I bought my senior citizen mom one of the last big CRTs, a 32 inch RCA that is on 18 hours a day and still works perfectly. A friend had a 2006 32 inch Sony CRT that was on 6 hrs a day max and failed within’ 3 yrs. I later found out that this was a common problem with those Sony CRTs. Search on the net “Dead Sony 32 inch CRT 6 blinks dead” or something like that.

------------

Finally to tom669 or anyone who might know.
Does another company make the other current 40 inch RCA model RLDED4016A?
I have the PROSCAN version PLDED4016A of the RCA and love the set. See this thread.
Note the RCA that the thread starter asked about is model # LED40C45RQ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page