LG 77" 4k OLED - $12,000? - Page 2 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 56Likes

Old 08-30-2014, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by mry110 View Post
I find it interesting that the 65" seems to have a released US price, but the 77" does not. Makes me think LG is not sure what they want to do.

If they want a datapoint $12k is my threshold for converting my 65" to 77".

My guess is $14-16K street on release in the USA. Special order only. Late December delivery in the US at the earliest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post
Make it $10,000 if you want to and sales of that model don't get close to 50,000 units.
So let's work on that at a moment. You didn't state the time, but I assume you mean in a year. Since I believe price will continue to drop over the year, I'll use 6 months and assume that by being aggressive with introductory pricing and price declines over the next 9 months, LG can drive sales of 100,000 77" OLEDs. That corresponds to 50,000 Gen-8 sheets (or 55,000 yielded). That is about 2 months full capacity at the M2 production plant, or 17% of the annual capacity. Pretty meaningful. Even cut in half back to your 50,000 number in a year, it's close to 10% of the capacity from M2 - exactly the kind of thing LG needs to achieve if the 77" has the yields to support it.

It's not about making more money for LG now, it's about not losing money while gaining as many happy customers as possible and driving demand for the tsunami of OLEDs that is about to start flooding off of the M2 line...

Quote:
I love Chris and his aggressiveness. I somehow doubt it's going to sell for $6250 at Best Buy, however. Of course they want to sell more than they'd sell at [higher price]. But it's listing for $10,000. They don't want to sell many.
List price is irrelevant. Street price is all that matters. I'm concerned about LGs dependence on Best Buy given the huge marketing influence Samsung has on that channel. If you haven't visited your local Best Buy yet, you might want to swing by - it's truly David and Goliath...

Quote:
That argument has logic. But it's never, ever applied to the way displays are priced. And given the list on the 65-inch is, in fact, $10,000 (or $9,000), I don't see how you are still clinging to the idea they are trying to encourage sales of the 77-inch, which will apparently list for $20,000. They don't intend to sell that product hardly at all this year.
Again, list price is irrelevant. The 55EC9300 has been introduced in a way that has caught everyone by surprise (and appears to be off to a pretty successful start - just look at traffic on the 55EC9300 threads versus traffic on the 55EC9800 threads from earlier this year :-)

Every indication is that LG is planning to introduce the 65EC9700 in a similar way. Would be interested in your view on the number of 65EC9700 LG could sell in 12 months priced at $5000.

And on the 77", 'official' list price is meaningless - discounted street price from the period from introduction through the Super Bowl is much more important. If LG can drive a runrate of 50,000-100,000 units of the 77" with street prices in the $9000-10,000 range (and has the yields to generate positive margin doing so), I would be stunned if they were not astute enough to do so.

Of course, if the 77" is really a 2015 product, then they will maintain an out-of-reach price on the 2014 77" until it is replaced with a 2015 version that is ready for prime-time (which will be my conclusion if the price of the 77EG9700/77EC9800 is out of line with the pricing of the 55EC9300 and 65EC9700).

Quote:
I'm not sure where Ken's appetite for early adoption ends on this. He will do whatever he sees fit. The sign that LG wants to move the 77-inch model in quantity is when it sells for $5000, which by my reckoning is twice the price of the cheapest Sharp 80 at Costco, $2000 more than the Vizios at Costo and at parity with some high-end-ish 75-inch Samsung model. Even at $5,000 they don't sell a lot, but the gap in sales between $6,000 and $5,000 is likely pretty profound.
If a price of $10,000 moves 50,000 units, I'm curious what quantity you believe LG could move at a price of $5000. My suspicion is that at that price (and corresponding prices of $3,333 for the 65" and $1667 for the 55EC9300, the M2 facility would not have sufficient capacity to meet demand.

You seem very focused on meaningful numbers from a TV industry standpoint, where I am 100% focused on what LG needs to do to absorb the capacity coming off of M2.

Maxed-out, LG only has the capacity to sell 1.6M 55" or 0.8M 65" or 0.5M 77" OLEDs.

At a reasonable mix of 50%, 40%, 10%, that translates to 0.8M 55" and 0.3M 65" and 50K 77"

And those numbers are not accounting for the panel sales through new Chinese and Japanese OEM customers introducing other OLED products based on LG WOLED panels in 2015...

Quote:
Random aside: It's a shame Apple didn't decide to do a TV. It could actually sell the same product as LG for more money and move more of them, for at least a couple of reasons.
Apple has a well-deserved reputation for being uncompromising. Just the reported yellow-push, let alone any IR or subpixel degradation over time would be reasons Apple might decide that the current Gen-2 LG WOLED technology is not yet ready for Apple-quality prime-time...
Old 08-30-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Apple has a well-deserved reputation for being uncompromising. Just the reported yellow-push, let alone any IR or subpixel degradation over time would be reasons Apple might decide that the current Gen-2 LG WOLED technology is not yet ready for Apple-quality prime-time...
I bought an apple cinema display once. It was very good, not perfect. Usual lcd uniformity issues, some yellowing. It was priced at a premium, and it looked like an apple product.

I'd be curious to see what they'd do teaming up with lg to make a TV. Heck could they buy lg display? Supply display for their i devices and get into the living room.

Btw I think 12-15k street is a reasonable premium for the 77. At 10k seems like they'd be undercutting themselves. I can't tell who is right, you or rogo, but my hunch is currently they are not making more panels than they can move. It I were lg, I'd just as well soak the 0.2% instead of the 0.4%. The rest can go to best buy and drool

I say this as someone who desperately wants some body in the forum cough Ken cough to buy this set and let us enjoy it vicariously, or snark on it as is our wont, because internet.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked: 863
Quote:
List price is irrelevant. Street price is all that matters. I'm concerned about LGs dependence on Best Buy given the huge marketing influence Samsung has on that channel. If you haven't visited your local Best Buy yet, you might want to swing by - it's truly David and Goliath...
Well, LG only needs 3 TV's to show off to show they are king.........I guess Samsung needs a bigger area to show they are not king.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Well, LG only needs 3 TV's to show off to show they are king.........I guess Samsung needs a bigger area to show they are not king.
Just got back from Best Buy again and it is pretty pathetic.

The little LG OLED is off to one side running its little demo loop. There is a new Hisense 4K TV display that looks better and was getting more attention than the LG OLED on display.

I have a date to return when the rep from LG is there (apparently he is the only one able to make a firmware update).

The way it is being presented now, the 55EC9300 does not stand out of the crowd at all - it just looks like another curved 4K TV (and a small one at that).
Old 08-31-2014, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:

The little LG OLED is off to one side running its little demo loop. There is a new Hisense 4K TV display that looks better and was getting more attention than the LG OLED on display.

I have a date to return when the rep from LG is there (apparently he is the only one able to make a firmware update).

The way it is being presented now, the 55EC9300 does not stand out of the crowd at all - it just looks like another curved 4K TV (and a small one at that).
I had a similar experience. OLED was out on the main floor as an end cap that I had to look hard to find. IMO, LG needs to get a second set set up in one of the Magnolia rooms with very low lighting. Put a notice on the set on the main floor directing customers to it. Pay BB to put 55" Samsung and Sony 4k set in the same Magnolia room as the OLED and feed them all the same BD feed. I think that would sell a lot of OLEDS.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2752 Post(s)
Liked: 2468
Quote:

Ouch. The Hisense LCD looked better than the OLED??

It's funny, when I was last at BB, I saw that Hisense on an end cap but really didn't give it much attention.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Ouch. The Hisense LCD looked better than the OLED??

It's funny, when I was last at BB, I saw that Hisense on an end cap but really didn't give it much attention.

Every time I go into BB, the LG is just playing the stupid demo loop of Tower of London at night (or whatever). It's looping around in vivid mode and just looks like another very detailed 4K demo (nothing noteworthy).

Whatever the Hisense was showing, it was more engaging and had customers watching it - could have been the $1300 price.

During an earlier visit when I had them hook up a BlueRay player and we were playing Thor in 3D, we had a crowd gathered around the 55EC9300 and everyone said it was the best 3D they had ever seen.

The 3D Kiosks LG had set up in Best Buy 2-3 years ago (with the bin full of passive 3D glasses) were far more impressive than the small endcap display set up for the 55EC9300. Right now, the LG OLED is just another 4K TV and I will be highly surprised to learn Best Buy is selling any of them except to people coming to the store specifically looking for them (like me).

I've already asked about Magnolia and they have no plans to carry or display the 55EC9300.

It's really not important what you or I pay attention to in a BB store, Ken (or any Form member, for that matter), but it is worth taking a gander at what the average Joe customers are having a look at - yesterday, the 55EC9300 was being ignored and there were several customers watching the neighboring end-cap display for the $1300 55" 4K Hisense...
Old 08-31-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Fafrd, great marketing...not!

Interestingly, on L.I., all the 9800s I've seen are in Magnolia. I haven't yet seen the 9300 at BB here.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Fafrd, great marketing...not!

Interestingly, on L.I., all the 9800s I've seen are in Magnolia. I haven't yet seen the 9300 at BB here.

Magnolia would be a much better environment to sell the 55EC9300 in (especially the darkened room). It's interesting that there are such big regional differences in the way BB handles the promotion - perhaps they are experimenting to see what works best prior to the release of the 65EC9700 later this year :-)
Old 08-31-2014, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Magnolia would be a much better environment to sell the 55EC9300 in (especially the darkened room). It's interesting that there are such big regional differences in the way BB handles the promotion - perhaps they are experimenting to see what works best prior to the release of the 65EC9700 later this year :-)
I was told by a Magnolia rep that if you see a magnolia removed from a store that its either being permanently removed or getting a huge renovation. he mentioned that best buy is in the process of building one huge showroom that's ideal for tv sets and other large home appliances. the way he described it was that it would basically be like how the showroom is now, but larger and including more high end or high tech products. he also said that their would only be a few done like this just like theirs Samsung or Sony experience centers at a select few, one magnolia would service a certain area. i think once this is done the oled will have a better shot. I also think the price and its size makes it unattractive. the EC9300 was setup in my store the exact same way you guys mentioned, in no special place just stuck in the middle of the A/V section. They did the same to the Hisense, but with its price it will obviously get more traffic.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rf13 View Post
I was told by a Magnolia rep that if you see a magnolia removed from a store that its either being permanently removed or getting a huge renovation. he mentioned that best buy is in the process of building one huge showroom that's ideal for tv sets and other large home appliances. the way he described it was that it would basically be like how the showroom is now, but larger and including more high end or high tech products. he also said that their would only be a few done like this just like theirs Samsung or Sony experience centers at a select few, one magnolia would service a certain area. i think once this is done the oled will have a better shot. I also think the price and its size makes it unattractive. the EC9300 was setup in my store the exact same way you guys mentioned, in no special place just stuck in the middle of the A/V section. They did the same to the Hisense, but with its price it will obviously get more traffic.

My BB completed its remodel 6 weeks and the new Magnolia section is fantastic. All large screens including the Sony X950B, X900B, Samsung HU9000 and HU8550. I asked about the LG OLED and they said they will not be showing it in the Magnolia section.

In fact yesterday, as I struggled to try to get the firmware update to happen, the Magnolia guy wandered over and tried to help. He appears to be the only person in the store who knows anything about what makes the 55EC900 a 'special' TV but he confirmed that Magnolia (here) will not have it and told me what day the LG rep comes by since he is apparently the only one who can make the FW update...
Old 08-31-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Fafrd, I wonder if you could load the update on a USB drive? I'm not sure if it would accept the update that way, but most TVs do.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
My BB completed its remodel 6 weeks and the new Magnolia section is fantastic. All large screens including the Sony X950B, X900B, Samsung HU9000 and HU8550. I asked about the LG OLED and they said they will not be showing it in the Magnolia section.

In fact yesterday, as I struggled to try to get the firmware update to happen, the Magnolia guy wandered over and tried to help. He appears to be the only person in the store who knows anything about what makes the 55EC900 a 'special' TV but he confirmed that Magnolia (here) will not have it and told me what day the LG rep comes by since he is apparently the only one who can make the FW update...
yea i asked about the 55 by the one near me they dont have immmediate plans to display it as well. im sure the 4k OLED sets will have a spot in the showroom. mine had the sharp Q+ and others in the showroom, so im sure the 65 or 77 will get a pretty decent spot. i dont think the EC9300 is LG's bread and butter or they just seem pretty bad at marketing it.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Fafrd, I wonder if you could load the update on a USB drive? I'm not sure if it would accept the update that way, but most TVs do.

Interesting thought - I'd just be concerned about how BB would react if it bricked the TV. If I can swing by when the LG rep is there, that seems a safer avenue for now (but thanks :-)
Old 08-31-2014, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Interesting thought - I'd just be concerned about how BB would react if it bricked the TV. If I can swing by when the LG rep is there, that seems a safer avenue for now (but thanks :-)
You've got to admit that bricking a new OLED TV in BB would make for a pretty good post though...
Old 08-31-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Every time I go into BB, the LG is just playing the stupid demo loop of Tower of London at night (or whatever). It's looping around in vivid mode and just looks like another very detailed 4K demo (nothing noteworthy).

Whatever the Hisense was showing, it was more engaging and had customers watching it - could have been the $1300 price.

During an earlier visit when I had them hook up a BlueRay player and we were playing Thor in 3D, we had a crowd gathered around the 55EC9300 and everyone said it was the best 3D they had ever seen.

The 3D Kiosks LG had set up in Best Buy 2-3 years ago (with the bin full of passive 3D glasses) were far more impressive than the small endcap display set up for the 55EC9300. Right now, the LG OLED is just another 4K TV and I will be highly surprised to learn Best Buy is selling any of them except to people coming to the store specifically looking for them (like me).

I've already asked about Magnolia and they have no plans to carry or display the 55EC9300.

It's really not important what you or I pay attention to in a BB store, Ken (or any Form member, for that matter), but it is worth taking a gander at what the average Joe customers are having a look at - yesterday, the 55EC9300 was being ignored and there were several customers watching the neighboring end-cap display for the $1300 55" 4K Hisense...
I asked my local BB today (Fair Lakes, VA) if they would be connecting to the network channels when the NFL season starts to see how live TV sports show on it, they said they weren't sure.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Uh, LG display is the primary source of iMac displays which have had issues with yellow push for years.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 882
Quote:
So let's work on that at a moment. You didn't state the time, but I assume you mean in a year. Since I believe price will continue to drop over the year, I'll use 6 months and assume that by being aggressive with introductory pricing and price declines over the next 9 months, LG can drive sales of 100,000 77" OLEDs. That corresponds to 50,000 Gen-8 sheets (or 55,000 yielded). That is about 2 months full capacity at the M2 production plant, or 17% of the annual capacity. Pretty meaningful. Even cut in half back to your 50,000 number in a year, it's close to 10% of the capacity from M2 - exactly the kind of thing LG needs to achieve if the 77" has the yields to support it.
There seems to be a dichotomy between spending that much of capacity on such a niche-y product and also growing overall sales...
Quote:
It's not about making more money for LG now, it's about not losing money while gaining as many happy customers as possible and driving demand for the tsunami of OLEDs that is about to start flooding off of the M2 line...
The tsunami looks smaller if it's only 10 months worth of displays.

Quote:

Every indication is that LG is planning to introduce the 65EC9700 in a similar way. Would be interested in your view on the number of 65EC9700 LG could sell in 12 months priced at $5000.
Not a lot. Feels like 100K globally, but that's +/- a chunk.
Quote:
And on the 77", 'official' list price is meaningless - discounted street price from the period from introduction through the Super Bowl is much more important. If LG can drive a runrate of 50,000-100,000 units of the 77" with street prices in the $9000-10,000 range (and has the yields to generate positive margin doing so), I would be stunned if they were not astute enough to do so.
The entire history of premium TVs says no one ever drives run rates. They keep the pricing premium. Insane? Maybe.
Quote:
If a price of $10,000 moves 50,000 units, I'm curious what quantity you believe LG could move at a price of $5000. My suspicion is that at that price (and corresponding prices of $3,333 for the 65" and $1667 for the 55EC9300, the M2 facility would not have sufficient capacity to meet demand.
I am inclined to agree those prices would be very well received. That said, even $1667 55-inch displays are pricey. They could sell out, though.
Quote:
You seem very focused on meaningful numbers from a TV industry standpoint, where I am 100% focused on what LG needs to do to absorb the capacity coming off of M2.

Maxed-out, LG only has the capacity to sell 1.6M 55" or 0.8M 65" or 0.5M 77" OLEDs.

At a reasonable mix of 50%, 40%, 10%, that translates to 0.8M 55" and 0.3M 65" and 50K 77"
OK, those numbers sound reasonable (trusting your math). The bottom two figures are no layup at the proposed pricing, however.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
Old 09-02-2014, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
If the statement I highlighted in bold is true, I agree with your conclusion. The only counterarguments I have is that I have been surprised to see my local Costco displaying 3 80" TVs (Vizio, Samsung, Sharp) which I found surprising and leads me to suspect that the market for larger screens might be larger this year than many (including you) have assumed.
They would have the big display models not because they sell so many of them but because they drive people to buy a high margin 55" when they may otherwise have bought a 50".
Old 09-02-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerging View Post
They would have the big display models not because they sell so many of them but because they drive people to buy a high margin 55" when they may otherwise have bought a 50".

I think you are confusing Costco with Best Buy - Costco doesn't stock anything that doesn't sell. The generally have about 5 of each brand in stock under the display and I have seen them rotate through every few months or so.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:04 AM

Liked: 44
Quote:

That's like saying it was the best AM radio you ever heard. The percentage of people that buy TVs for 3D is very very small. Thats why the push for 4K.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Sorry, but 3D is a very big deal to me, and the fact that the new 4k OLEDs have PASSIVE 3D is a major selling factor and why I have not bought one of the very good (and much cheaper) LCD sets so far.

Once you have seen 4k passive 3D, (almost) all of the objections to 3D as a format go away.

Why they kept pushing the piss-poor ACTIVE 3D on people when a clear 50% of the population gets a headache from the "flicker" glasses, I will never know.
SiGGy likes this.

"Read Less, More TV." - Dr. Gregory House

"That which can not be questioned, can not be trusted." - Me

The Metropolis Home Theater

Blue Smoke Entertainment Systems - Affiliated
Old 09-03-2014, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
Sorry, but 3D is a very big deal to me, and the fact that the new 4k OLEDs have PASSIVE 3D is a major selling factor and why I have not bought one of the very good (and much cheaper) LCD sets so far.

Once you have seen 4k passive 3D, (almost) all of the objections to 3D as a format go away.

Why they kept pushing the piss-poor ACTIVE 3D on people when a clear 50% of the population gets a headache from the "flicker" glasses, I will never know.
Active 3d is terrible. It's been around since the 1980's. (sega master system)
I had it on my PC's for a long time with my old nvidia cards in early 2000's.

Yes, most people can not tolerate the flicker.

3d effect is far better via passive. IMO only issue remaining is your eyes trying to focus on depths that don't exist

-SiGGy

Last edited by SiGGy; 09-03-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiGGy View Post
Active 3d is terrible. It's been around since the 1980's. (sega master system)
I had it on my PC's for a long time with my old nvidia cards in early 2000's.

Yes, most people can not tolerate the flicker.

3d effect is far better via passive. IMO only issue remaining is your eyes trying to focus on depths that don't exist
Active 3D is terrible for some people, but many people don't have a problem with it. I can tolerate virtually any type of 3D without headache or eye strain (even anaglyph). But I agree, passive 3D is absolutely the best. It's easier on the eyes, no batteries to fuss with, no flicker, no image "instability" when you move your eyes around the screen.

What's so very exciting about the LG 4K OLED is that it should provide passive FullHD 3D without a drop in contrast. I'll be surprised and disappointed if the 4K set doesn't provide the very best 3D I've ever seen. Up to now, that honor belonged to the Samsung OLED set, but it was active. When you add passive 3D + infinite contrast + perfect black level + no ghosting, you should get the finest 3D experience available almost anywhere. I expect it to be better than anything we've seen for the home, and better than anything available in any but the highest end, most meticulously maintained commercial 3D cinemas. And in those venues, the contrast won't come close to OLED, so you can cross them off, too.

Joe Clark

Old 09-03-2014, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barth2k View Post
I bought an apple cinema display once. It was very good, not perfect. Usual lcd uniformity issues, some yellowing. It was priced at a premium, and it looked like an apple product.

I'd be curious to see what they'd do teaming up with lg to make a TV. Heck could they buy lg display? Supply display for their i devices and get into the living room.

Btw I think 12-15k street is a reasonable premium for the 77. At 10k seems like they'd be undercutting themselves. I can't tell who is right, you or rogo, but my hunch is currently they are not making more panels than they can move. It I were lg, I'd just as well soak the 0.2% instead of the 0.4%. The rest can go to best buy and drool

I say this as someone who desperately wants some body in the forum cough Ken cough to buy this set and let us enjoy it vicariously, or snark on it as is our wont, because internet.

Your statement I highlighted in Bold is just so wrong.

The M2 manufacturing line is coming online 'in Q3' (which ends in less than 4 weeks). That plant has installed capacity to pump out 26,000 Gen-8 OLED sheets per month. That translates into a virtual tsunami of OLED TVs versus the half-sheet pilot line OLED production LG has been living off of up until now.

There is no 'soaking' to be had here - LG will soon need to drive demand for their OLED higher by orders of magnitude. While estimates (probably exaggerated) are that LG sold 3000 55" OLEDs in 2013, the M2 line is capable of manufacturing 1.7 MILLION 55" OLEDs per year (or 850,000 65" OLEDs or 566,000 77" OLEDs).

That capacity amounts to less than 1% of the overall TV market, but it's close to 10% of the 'high-end large-size premium TV' market, and we'll know when production output starts to back up because prices will drop dramatically (again).

Will all of this unfold by Christmas 2014? Probably not - the production will probably start at less-than-full capacity and ramp up from there. But by June 2015, it's a near certainty that LG will need to be pricing to drive demand at levels more than 100x where they are today.

This LG OLED story has nothing to do with 'soaking' anybody and has everything to do with capitalizing on their first-mover advantage to capture as many customers as quickly as possible.
dsinger and HomerJau like this.

Last edited by fafrd; 09-03-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 603 Post(s)
Liked: 882
So, yes, they are getting new capacity. But, yes, it will take many months (maybe a year?) to ramp that capacity to full.

As for the biggest sizes, there is no history of "not soaking". I see that as the place where pricing has always started inconsistently high and I'm not sure why it wouldn't do that here. There is, incidentally, no reason to price the biggest sizes such that they drive the demand. You'd want to lower pricing on the bottom sizes first because the yield profile is inherently better there and, more importantly, you expand the population of OLED owners faster.
slacker711 likes this.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
Old 09-03-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Someone please link an article on how to rob a bank!

I'd love to get my hands on a Blu Monster's Ball.-LilStinky

Refering to a possible release of said movie on BD LOL
Old 09-03-2014, 04:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
So, yes, they are getting new capacity. But, yes, it will take many months (maybe a year?) to ramp that capacity to full.

As for the biggest sizes, there is no history of "not soaking". I see that as the place where pricing has always started inconsistently high and I'm not sure why it wouldn't do that here. There is, incidentally, no reason to price the biggest sizes such that they drive the demand. You'd want to lower pricing on the bottom sizes first because the yield profile is inherently better there and, more importantly, you expand the population of OLED owners faster.
Unfortunately, from the standpoint of a prospective 77" owner, I'd agree with this.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urza View Post
Someone please link an article on how to rob a bank!
You mean '...AND get away with it'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement