LG UHD/4K OLED TVs to Hit the Market This Year - Page 6 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 165Likes

post #151 of 322 Old 08-26-2014, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by losservatore View Post
I know that pictures are not the proper way to judge but I'm pretty sure that the TV have off angle issues.

The oled and Sony are not too curved.
But you have no idea if they perform better. Your just taking a guess because the curve should be less. But the reflective material counts. Backlight technology.

They may still suffer issues. All LCD do. The oled I have higher hope for. But the Sony is not something you can agree with and be 100 percent sure of.

And why would you buy a uhd set that's missing 4k standards.

You were the worse one saying I was jumping in way too early. Because the set would be outdated.

I wonder do you sit back and ever just ask yourself if maybe you should rethink some of your post. They are mostly pointless to this thread. I'm not sure anyone cares for the post against or for the curve at this point.

Let's agree to disagree. I'll enjoy my tv while you can believe your more an expert about my tv than me like you do in every thread we come across each other.

It's always nice to hear from the experts who know the sets better than the owners and won't ever come meet me in the owners forums to ask for the truth. I love the person who has no care for real world results. Nice picture from my house in a real world situation watching movies from the side with my kids.

But hey I'm wrong. Your right. You know every tv better than the owners and have all the answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 322 Old 08-26-2014, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
It helps but it doesn't improve?
Nope. LCDs have side viewing angle issues. The curve when your set in pace can help keep the picture uniform for you like with the pictures of the cartoons I posted. If you want to watch the dark knight then head on will be the best obviously.

The set with animation and many cartoons is often lit pretty evenly and so the angles can be better and the curve in those situations keeps color pretty uniform and blacks actually still decent as well.

I have an f8000 that easily has worse angles.

It did not improve the angles. It can help at times but to improve the angle to me means more than just well lit content.

But what I say about it depends on the material means nothing to anyone. I could preach all day and many blow it off because they misquote me, or are just here to gather the crowd and pitch forks.

He does it because I have no issue defending my set. He said you can't even see uhd unless your 5 ft from the set unless you get an 80" tv.

So how would a 77" oled uhd be any different?

It's funny how the sets that one member is in here getting support for I was the one fighting for in the other thread. I was the one being attacked for saying oled 4k was worth it.

Now they are in this thread getting the great support of those I have already gotten thrown under the bus for.

So nice this place.

But I don't care. I just tell you guys don't let the curve be an issue for you.

Why all this? Let's ask that.

Why do you guys care? If you think the curve hurts don't get one. What more do you want? I won't force my opinion down your throat like what's his loss name.
post #153 of 322 Old 08-26-2014, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
I don't want to be famous and I don't want to post something your not saying.

The curve introduces worse geometric distortion from off-angle viewing outside of the viewing cone. You either agree with this statement or you do not.

You can say you agree but it is not that big of a deal and does not bother you, and we are good.

You can say you do not agree and then we still have an issue.

That picture says it all (on geometric distortion - color shift is another discussion).
Again your issue. I respect you man. But I see my set every day in live with it.

Your going to have to accept that it depends. Are we talking gravity or tangled?

Perhaps someone tested that? Oh wait I have as a owner with kids. At night the set is mine. I sit in front of it. Kids get the angles.

You guys keep acting like its black and white. Well you don't even have the tv. So why would you tell me I'm wrong with what I see everyday?
post #154 of 322 Old 08-27-2014, 12:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrorange303 View Post
But you have no idea if they perform better. Your just taking a guess because the curve should be less. But the reflective material counts. Backlight technology.

They may still suffer issues. All LCD do. The oled I have higher hope for. But the Sony is not something you can agree with and be 100 percent sure of.

And why would you buy a uhd set that's missing 4k standards.

You were the worse one saying I was jumping in way too early. Because the set would be outdated.

I wonder do you sit back and ever just ask yourself if maybe you should rethink some of your post. They are mostly pointless to this thread. I'm not sure anyone cares for the post against or for the curve at this point.

Let's agree to disagree. I'll enjoy my tv while you can believe your more an expert about my tv than me like you do in every thread we come across each other.

It's always nice to hear from the experts who know the sets better than the owners and won't ever come meet me in the owners forums to ask for the truth. I love the person who has no care for real world results. Nice picture from my house in a real world situation watching movies from the side with my kids.

But hey I'm wrong. Your right. You know every tv better than the owners and have all the answers.

you take your personal created picture with your set and take it against the hole mastering studios and the creators intend.

you set your brightness as you like you sharp as you like you change the color as you like you may even change the white point. yeah fine nothing wrong with this for you.

but your picture is not that what the creator of the BD was aiming to show on the screen. so your picture is technical bad. it may show something you like and you may bring other people to think like you about your settings but this doesn't change the facts that your picture is not right it is not showing the right colors it is not showing the creators.

usually on this forum when people talk about good picture quality they talk about the creators intend by comparing displays that try to show the creators intend as good as possible.

Quote:
why should these "experts" meet you are you so special they have to come to you? these "experts" are taking the same opinion as the creator of the BD but disabling all picture changing algorithm in the TV and by calibration after this to get the same picture shown in the mastering studio on there professional mastering displays.

it's nice you like your set and it's totally fine that you set your TV as you like.
but don't think you have the right picture. it is simple not the truth.
a owner that is not calibration his screen is not even trying to get the best picture quality. the best picture quality is the unchanged picture it is simple like that. and yes you don't have to like it it's ok.
post #155 of 322 Old 08-27-2014, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
you take your personal created picture with your set and take it against the hole mastering studios and the creators intend.

you set your brightness as you like you sharp as you like you change the color as you like you may even change the white point. yeah fine nothing wrong with this for you.

but your picture is not that what the creator of the BD was aiming to show on the screen. so your picture is technical bad. it may show something you like and you may bring other people to think like you about your settings but this doesn't change the facts that your picture is not right it is not showing the right colors it is not showing the creators.

usually on this forum when people talk about good picture quality they talk about the creators intend by comparing displays that try to show the creators intend as good as possible.

why should these "experts" meet you are you so special they have to come to you? these "experts" are taking the same opinion as the creator of the BD but disabling all picture changing algorithm in the TV and by calibration after this to get the same picture shown in the mastering studio on there professional mastering displays.

it's nice you like your set and it's totally fine that you set your TV as you like.
but don't think you have the right picture. it is simple not the truth.
a owner that is not calibration his screen is not even trying to get the best picture quality. the best picture quality is the unchanged picture it is simple like that. and yes you don't have to like it it's ok.
So you are saying i didnt calibrate my screen?

Your saying anyone can tell me how my tv performs in my house and theyre opinion on that is more valid than mine. Ok.

You missed the entire point huhn. You always do man.

But im sure your going to tell me i am wrong too and i dont know what i am seeing on my own tc in my house and you from your house can tell me what im seeing better than i can.

Stoo trying to add bs huhn. Dint stick your beak in this. Your late to the party and dont know what the discussion is about
post #156 of 322 Old 08-27-2014, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Seriously I still don't get why take TV issues in a personal way ,Do I'm allowed to talk about TV issues? all TVs have issues.

like I said before I prefer flat TV ,if I have only this 3 options Sony,samsung,oled...I can easily live with the curve of the Sony and oled ,I don't like the curve of the Samsung.

Have a great night.
No man. You said you wouldnt even get a uhd set until 4k standards are set. You said that.

How are these 3 even choices right now?

Why does my samsung curve matter in the lg oled thread?

Except me saying it hasnt been an issue to me.

Thats my taste and what i watch more support that more than less because my situation calls for a certain type of movie more than others. In this case kids films.

See the issue is your so quick to say im wrong and dint even know what im saying.

You wasted this thread on me and my curced screen. This was a rediculious thing to post about.

And when you have a curved set then care about it. You might still end up with a flat screen.
post #157 of 322 Old 08-27-2014, 12:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Stoo trying to add bs huhn. Dint stick your beak in this. Your late to the party and dont know what the discussion is about
the discussion is about the fact that you don't know the difference between color changes from angles and image distortion from curved screen from of angle.

this is a simple problem of the curve has nothing to do with LCD. it's like 1+1=2. but you simple switch back to color changes and post a picture with out a reference... so we don't know how it should look and it was about distortion not colors and the source doesn't matter for this problem.

Quote:
So you are saying i didnt calibrate my screen?

Your saying anyone can tell me how my tv performs in my house and theyre opinion on that is more valid than mine. Ok.

You missed the entire point huhn. You always do man.

But im sure your going to tell me i am wrong too and i dont know what i am seeing on my own tc in my house and you from your house can tell me what im seeing better than i can.
you said your Tv is not calibrated so they i know you are not seeing a calibrated picture.
and every one else can say this too.

you can only talk about what you can see with your settings can you tell how my picture is looking in my house? if you what to know it is bt 709 with bt 1886 2.4 gamma.

and people who take the side of the creator by sharing the opinion of the creator are right. yes I really think that.
post #158 of 322 Old 08-27-2014, 01:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Sir everyone on this thread have been talking about curve since page one.I posted my opinion .

Last edited by losservatore; 08-28-2014 at 06:28 PM.
post #159 of 322 Old 08-27-2014, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The following lists the pros and the cons of the recently released LG C9300 OLED:

http://televisions.reviewed.com/cont...oled-tv-review

Following observations:

The EC9300 performed well producing blue and green primary colors, but its red production is not as colorful and rich as it should be.

Despite this TV's incredible black level, it ramps up in brightness in a way that's better suited for a room with normal or higher amounts of ambient lighting.
post #160 of 322 Old 08-27-2014, 06:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I'd like to get a 65-80" OLED in another year or 2 when the prices come down a bit but I'd have preferred if we could have seen some 1080p models >55" come out before these new 4K models. That would have been the sweet spot for me. Let the bleeding edge crowd swarm pay a premium for 4k that while the first gen 1080p get overlooked and fall to discount prices.

Now I'm wondering if we're ever going to see 60"+ 1080p OLEDs or if all the larger models are going to be 4K? Anyone have any insight on that?
post #161 of 322 Old 08-27-2014, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXPL View Post
so this is more of a general question and not directed at this LG in particular...

how is 1080i broadcast content on these new 4K displays? does it look okay like it would on a 1080p display or is it worse?
i never really understood how upscaling works, but is that what is happening with these tvs and broadcast content?

i doubt i'll ever purchase another 1080p set for future proofing, but if broadcast content display quality is worse than on a 1080p oled set, i may have to stay with a 1080p oled set as i don't imagine broadcast moving to 4k anytime soon.
I've had the Sony XBR79X79B for about 2 weeks, now; and this is the key question for 4K just now. My answer is that the upscaling is about halfway between 1080P and native 4K. I wanted a larger display than my 60", but every 1080P 75" plus display had such a visible pixel structure that the picture was fuzzy. I auditioned all of the larger 4K displays on 1080i material (with some difficulty because the stores weren't set up for this) because I expected at least a couple of years before 4K native material became readily available and 1080i performance would be critical. To my eye, the Sony had the best upscaling (though the worst black performance). The upscaled performance on 1080P Blu-ray is teriffic--close to the 4K demos. The performance on 480P DVD's is almost to the level of 1080P. The performance on 1080i material from my Comcast 1080p X-1 box is better than Blu-ray, and close to as good as native 4K. My viewing distance is 10'. I consider the XBR79 to be an interim set, waiting for a 4K OLED of 85" for less than $10K. I consider it an excellent step on the way to OLED nirvanna
post #162 of 322 Old 08-27-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
I've had the Sony XBR79X79B for about 2 weeks, now; and this is the key question for 4K just now. My answer is that the upscaling is about halfway between 1080P and native 4K. I wanted a larger display than my 60", but every 1080P 75" plus display had such a visible pixel structure that the picture was fuzzy. I auditioned all of the larger 4K displays on 1080i material (with some difficulty because the stores weren't set up for this) because I expected at least a couple of years before 4K native material became readily available and 1080i performance would be critical. To my eye, the Sony had the best upscaling (though the worst black performance). The upscaled performance on 1080P Blu-ray is teriffic--close to the 4K demos. The performance on 480P DVD's is almost to the level of 1080P. The performance on 1080i material from my Comcast 1080p X-1 box is better than Blu-ray, and close to as good as native 4K. My viewing distance is 10'. I consider the XBR79 to be an interim set, waiting for a 4K OLED of 85" for less than $10K. I consider it an excellent step on the way to OLED nirvanna
I have the hu9000. I agree with this post fully. But for the hu9000. This sums up my feelings as well.
post #163 of 322 Old 08-27-2014, 08:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked: 1904
Quote:
fafrd this is from rtings the Samsung curve viewing angle is only 18° https://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/lcd-led/samsung/h8000

The viewing angle is quite poor. As soon as you are off axis, the colors lose saturation. The curved screen also diminishes the experience off-axis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc84qH_CWSY
Well that's true, but this is LCD. I was at BB just yesterday with my wife and I showed her the LG. The viewing angles were actually very good and far better than LCD. They were, in fact, closer to plasma than LCD on the unit I saw. She loved the picture, but the curve, not so much.

I told her you'll learn to live with it. In fact, I had her sit in front of the Samsung 9000 at the entrance to Magnolia. As most of us know, the curve on this set is greater than that of the LG. After about 10 minutes I asked her if she was aware of the curve and she said "No". So it is something I do believe you become acclimated to, but your seating position also plays a role in this.
post #164 of 322 Old 08-27-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Within the viewing cone, the curve does improve off-axis viewing (single-viewer sweetspot is improved from close in). From outside the viewing cone, one side is improved but the other side is degraded.

Depends if you are purchasing your curved screen to watch alone or with others...
Fafrd, just kick the fam out of the viewing room and tell them you need "Me time".
post #165 of 322 Old 08-27-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyhuhn View Post
the discussion is about the fact that you don't know the difference between color changes from angles and image distortion from curved screen from of angle.

this is a simple problem of the curve has nothing to do with LCD. it's like 1+1=2. but you simple switch back to color changes and post a picture with out a reference... so we don't know how it should look and it was about distortion not colors and the source doesn't matter for this problem.

you said your Tv is not calibrated so they i know you are not seeing a calibrated picture.
and every one else can say this too.

you can only talk about what you can see with your settings can you tell how my picture is looking in my house? if you what to know it is bt 709 with bt 1886 2.4 gamma.

and people who take the side of the creator by sharing the opinion of the creator are right. yes I really think that.
Well if you was part of the owners forum you would be up to date.

Next mynpoint never got into technical aspects of what i can and cant see for the purpose of sparing this thread and keeping on topic.

Dont assume you know me. You dont. You dont know my set up. You dont know my settings. There is alot you assume just because i choose not to get into details.

If you feel like posting again then talk about the lg oled. If you want to talk my tv ckme to the hu9000 owners forum.
post #166 of 322 Old 08-27-2014, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Fafrd, just kick the fam out of the viewing room and tell them you need "Me time".

Well now that's where LG's 'bendable' 2015 OLEDs come in - configure flat for the entire family or in wrap-around curve mode when you have the sweet spot all to yourself. If it doesn't cost an more, why not (though it sounds like just on more thing to break :-(
Ken Ross likes this.
post #167 of 322 Old 08-27-2014, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well if you was part of the owners forum you would be up to date.

Next mynpoint never got into technical aspects of what i can and cant see for the purpose of sparing this thread and keeping on topic.

Dont assume you know me. You dont. You dont know my set up. You dont know my settings. There is alot you assume just because i choose not to get into details.

If you feel like posting again then talk about the lg oled. If you want to talk my tv ckme to the hu9000 owners forum.
I talk about a curve the OLED has one. with the problem all curve have. i'm not interested in your set up and it doesn't matter in this thread at all and it doesn't matter for the curve issue to.
post #168 of 322 Old 08-27-2014, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Well now that's where LG's 'bendable' 2015 OLEDs come in - configure flat for the entire family or in wrap-around curve mode when you have the sweet spot all to yourself. If it doesn't cost an more, why not (though it sounds like just on more thing to break :-(
The warranty will be similar to plasma's warranty declining to warrant burn-in but professing they will not suffer from burn-in. Bendable OLED will profess that they will not break or crack from too much bending but the warranty does not cover cracking or breakage related to bending.
post #169 of 322 Old 08-27-2014, 11:04 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 2058 Post(s)
Liked: 3392
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post
The warranty will be similar to plasma's warranty declining to warrant burn-in but professing they will not suffer from burn-in. Bendable OLED will profess that they will not break or crack from too much bending but the warranty does not cover cracking or breakage related to bending.
A bendable TV is quite the invention. Take something that already offers no real value for the extra cost—the curve—and force people to pay even more to make it go away!
fafrd, dsinger, StinDaWg and 5 others like this.

Mark Henninger
post #170 of 322 Old 08-27-2014, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
A bendable TV is quite the invention. Take something that already offers no real value for the extra cost—the curve—and force people to pay even more to make it go away!
Perfect analogy. Reminds me of the marketing proclaiming the awesomeness of edge lit LED. Thin, light weight, low energy use, cooler temps, sleek and modern looking. They didn't bother to mention the screen uniformity issues (clouding, flash lighting, edge bleed, banding etc) weaker off axis viewing, lousy speakers, poorer black levels, and most important of all, cheaper to manufacture.
StinDaWg likes this.
post #171 of 322 Old 08-27-2014, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

I've developed a theory based on my ownership experience that tries to explain some of the opinions we all see on AVS regarding 2K vs 4K and plasma vs. LCD. Up to 60" to 65" (depending on viewing distance) 4K does not show as much of an improvement in the viewing experience over 2K as much better black performance does. Hence, we have plasma being the acknowledged leader in this size. Beginning at 70" and up, 4K shows a much better viewing experience than 2K and people like me who want a bigger picture (79" for me) are willing to accept lesser black performance. We are all hoping that OLED will turn out to have both blacks and size. In the meanwhile, if your optimum size is no larger than 60" to 65", you can safely go for a 1080P set that has the best black performance.
losservatore likes this.
post #172 of 322 Old 08-27-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post
I've developed a theory based on my ownership experience that tries to explain some of the opinions we all see on AVS regarding 2K vs 4K and plasma vs. LCD. Up to 60" to 65" (depending on viewing distance) 4K does not show as much of an improvement in the viewing experience over 2K as much better black performance does. Hence, we have plasma being the acknowledged leader in this size. Beginning at 70" and up, 4K shows a much better viewing experience than 2K and people like me who want a bigger picture (79" for me) are willing to accept lesser black performance. We are all hoping that OLED will turn out to have both blacks and size. In the meanwhile, if your optimum size is no larger than 60" to 65", you can safely go for a 1080P set that has the best black performance.
4k on a 55" makes a difference.
post #173 of 322 Old 08-27-2014, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
At what viewing distance?
post #174 of 322 Old 08-27-2014, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post
At what viewing distance?
9' at 20/20. But your eye sight determines the seating distance and benefit.
post #175 of 322 Old 08-27-2014, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Base on this 4k calculators if you have 20\20 the benefit at 9' is 0% on 55".

http://referencehometheater.com/2013...4k-calculator/

http://carltonbale.com/does-4k-resolution-matter/
Thats just for refrence. That never once says this is based off of real world test.

They do have a test people can google. See the results.

So go see it for your self.

Real world test prove most can see the difference.

What that difference is, is not given. Just that most people could tell the difference.

Also the thx website confirms this. Also may reviewers will support the fact the the sets show a benefit from that distance.

It isnt motion based. It isnt black levels.

Most likely color. But clarity cannot be disregarded either.

Should i post links?
post #176 of 322 Old 08-27-2014, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You was waiting for me to make a comment on this? don't you? Lol
We are initiated arent we bruce.

Wink.lol. yes sir.
post #177 of 322 Old 08-27-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Base on this 4k calculators if you have 20\20 the benefit at 9' is 0% on 55".

http://referencehometheater.com/2013...4k-calculator/

http://carltonbale.com/does-4k-resolution-matter/
Tom Norton, my favorite reviewer of TV displays (and the most objective one IMO) saw the benefits of a 55" UHD TV at about 7'. He didn't describe them as earth-shattering, but he did see the difference. And that's only a 55" screen.
post #178 of 322 Old 08-27-2014, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post
Tom Norton, my favorite reviewer of TV displays (and the most objective one IMO) saw the benefits of a 55" UHD TV at about 7'. He didn't describe them as earth-shattering, but he did see the difference. And that's only a 55" screen.

Now that's closer 7' feet is showing on the calculator 11% of improvement, I don't think that he experienced the full benefit at 7'.
post #179 of 322 Old 08-27-2014, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Now that's closer 7' feet is showing on the calculator 11% of improvement, I don't think that he experienced the full benefit at 7'.
Well i show my set up is 65" at 9' with 20/15 has an 97% improvemnt over 1080p.

So you agree then with that? I see a 97% advantage on my set?

Just curious if you agree thats correct.
post #180 of 322 Old 08-27-2014, 08:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I didn't say it didn't make a difference. I said better blacks will make a better viewing experience at 65" and under than 4K over 2K, with the same black performance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
frontpage

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page