AKAI plasma at COSTCO - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 853 Old 02-08-2003, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think I tired to get it turn on about a 100 times. I let it sit for over a day and it was stone cold and it still displayed no picture. No picture on any input. The only thing it would do was to change the power LED from red to green.

I don't know that overheating was a problem. In fact, I doubt it. The TV should work in higher ambient temps than we had, and it should work for a longer continuous time than we used it for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 853 Old 02-08-2003, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the reply Randy. Hope the new set is AOK - says a lot for Akai that while you had the opportunity to change, you decided to stick with your original Akai choice. I love my Akai and would do exactly the same thing. Let us know how your always-on test goes. Good luck!
post #183 of 853 Old 02-08-2003, 04:00 PM

My display has settled in like a champ. Ann and DeeAnn -- I'm still staying out of the service menu. I had a reasonably good idea of what I was doing the first time and proceeded with care, and the thing still took off on its own. I'm not going back again -- the tweaking isn't worth the risk.

My view is that it's a (relatively) inexpensive ED monitor and not a top-of-the-line display. It's there to enjoy and not go hyper-anal retentive on. NBA HD was showing a color bar pattern last night that allowed me to adjust most of my settings and it looks just great as is.
post #184 of 853 Old 02-09-2003, 10:41 AM
AKR

Is there a way through the Akai service menu to unlock the aspect ratios for progressive scan 480 p in component 1 and/or 480p, 720p and 1080i in component 2. I for one, prefer to see the entire screen and do not like black bars.
post #185 of 853 Old 02-09-2003, 04:11 PM

Not that I know of. I know this isn't why you were asking, but on a related note the burn-in prevention functionality on the Akai is pretty much nonexistent. I hope this means they don't think it's all that big of a concern.

It *is* interesting that 4:3 shows with grey bars in S-Video mode, but black bars on the component inputs. Is this because they are trying to balance out the pixel usage?
post #186 of 853 Old 02-13-2003, 01:47 PM

Hey Folks:

I was wondering if anyone knew whether the Akai Plasma can play PAL signals. I tried searching for this in the specs, but came out empty handed.

Any info is much appreciated!

Cheers!
post #187 of 853 Old 02-13-2003, 05:30 PM

I believe from someone who checked this out way uptopic that the answer is no. My region-free player can output native PAL signals in NTSC, so I haven't tried to see if it could handle them directly.
post #188 of 853 Old 02-18-2003, 11:26 AM

Hi,

I have a AKAI plasma, regular RCA direct TV reciever (S video out to Denon reciever w/AR cable) and Panasonic RP62 Progessive Scan DVD player (Component out to AKAI Directly w/AR cable). Here is my question to all of you guys....
I assumed DVD PQ will much better than Regular Direct TV PQ but I don't really see any PQ difference between Direct TV and DVD. My friend (who owan a Panasonic 4WD plasma) told me that it should be day and night if you compare DVD to Direct TV PQ. But what about you guys??? Is your DVD player PQ much better than Direct TV PQ? Is it normal or something wrong with my setup???

And also, There are 2 component inputs from the AKAI Plamsa. It will not display if i plug into Component 2 only, and i can only plug into Component 1 if i want to watch dvd. Is it normal?

Thanks.
post #189 of 853 Old 02-18-2003, 11:51 AM
cwg

Have you checked that your outputting your DVD as progressive. Even 480i should be better than satellite, but if you are unable to get a picture on component 2 then it's not set for progressive. Comp. 2 accepts 480p, 720p and 1080i, comp. 1 is 480i/480p. So if it's only working on comp. 1, then I would check your DVD player. I have a Kenwood DVD player, and it is a clearly better picture from the DVD player either interlaced or progressive, but I don't have satellite, just analog cable.

It's always better to be on top of Technology, rather than under it.
post #190 of 853 Old 02-18-2003, 12:00 PM

I can only watch DVD if i plug into Component 1 but not Component 2. But what's the difference anway? Component 1 is 480I/480P and I guess highest resolution of DVD is 480. Are you guys plug into Component 2 or Component 1 to watch DVD? I may need to call AKAI then if you guys can watch from Component since i don't ....
post #191 of 853 Old 02-18-2003, 09:28 PM
Ann

Kinda thinking what CWG said...It sounds like your DVD player is not set to 480p or "progressive scan". Some players turn on progressive scan within menus, some with switches on rear, some both. If your DVD is outputting 480i it won't work on comp2. Further, the picture quality of progressive compared to interlaced is dramatic (I think)! I do find certain digital sat stations to be much better than others. PPViews, HBO's, SHO's....they look pretty darn good....while local network stuff, etc. is not as nice. If I compare the best PQ sat stuff to a DVD watched in 480i, there is a difference, but far less than 480p.:rolleyes:
post #192 of 853 Old 02-19-2003, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by US_MATRIX
I can only watch DVD if i plug into Component 1 but not Component 2. But what's the difference anway? ....
I have a Panasonic RP62 too. It's insane, but you have to go into the video portion of the setup menu and enable progressive scan before the progressive scan button on the front panel will work! Truly idiotic. When it is working correctly, a green LED will light up when you hit the progressive button.
post #193 of 853 Old 03-04-2003, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

******* MODERATOR NOTE *******

OK, this thread has been restored after a LOT of editing to bring it in line with Alan's no-pricing-talk policy. If you see that your message has been edited, that's why.

A lot of messages were about nothing but $$$, so they were deleted outright (removing the pricing info would have left those messages either empty or indecipherable). If you notice that one of your messages is missing altogether, that's why.

As long as the discussion stays away from pricing chit-chat, this thread will stay open and available, but please respect Alan's wishes regarding pricing talk or I'll have to remove the thread for good.

Thanks.
post #194 of 853 Old 03-04-2003, 02:37 PM

While you are at it I think you should also edit the title of this thread. Posts naming sellers should be just as prohibited as mentioning price! And as long as your at it maybe you should also edit out the manufacturer's name. We wouldn't want to steer someone to any particular brand, just as we shouldn't steer anyone to any particular seller.
post #195 of 853 Old 03-04-2003, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Normally that would be frowned upon, but I'm letting it slide by this time since it was a long-established thread known to a lot of folks here in plasma-land. Besides, "AKAI plasma at _____" would look kinda dumb. :)
post #196 of 853 Old 03-04-2003, 03:00 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Thank you for restoring this thread, Scott. I think it will be helpful to a lot of people (10 pages even after edits...yowza!).

rjonas, pcrx, please don't...
We just got this thread back, I'd hate to see it go away permanantly, and if it does, someone else can do the restore request (heck.....I don't even *own* an Akai, I just hated to see all of this collective information go to waste).

On a related note- I think it'd be really neat if someone (or a few people working together) were to put together an Akai brand-specific FAQ using the information in this thread, other threads, and their own observations/knowledge. If interested, you'll want to respond in the Brand Specific FAQ thread Sixsevans is maintaining. Another good reason to do that is if we lose this thread again, we haven't lost the info.

Thanks!

DeeAnn
post #197 of 853 Old 03-04-2003, 03:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Please.... I really hate to beg, but please read the prior pages and think about what you are doing. This is *not* a throwaway thread!
post #198 of 853 Old 03-04-2003, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Grr. Deleted four off-topic posts (which is what deeann is referring to).

Folks, I'm not kidding--stay on topic.
post #199 of 853 Old 03-04-2003, 04:15 PM
Advanced Member

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I really appreciate your bringing this thread back.

As it happens, I have a totally relevant question that will stay on topic. Has anyone had success in attaching a PC to the Akai? I just tried and the picture is pushed all the way over to the left. Also some text on messages that come up is not visible. Video card came with PC (32MB ATA Rage 128 Ultra). I don't seem to have a lot of options available to me on Display Setup. Any ideas? I'm almost there, but need to get the picture centered.

I would be happy to try a FAQ on Akai. It will take me some time, because I am far from an expert, but perhaps I could pattern it after one of the existing FAQ's.
post #200 of 853 Old 03-04-2003, 05:04 PM

marchristensen,

I have been able to connect a laptop with a 16MB NVidia mobile video chipset video subsystem with no problems. I use 1024x768. The Serene Screen fish screensaver looks nice!
post #201 of 853 Old 03-04-2003, 07:03 PM
AKR

My first month with the Akai: (I can't help thinking of it as a Samsung 4225 which is the real brand).

My installation: In our bedroom over a fireplace. Two sets of component cables and an s-video cable behind the wall through a PVC pipe (due to the gas fireplace) through the attic to an armoire that has a progressive scan Samsung DVD (Component 1 480p/480i), DD Receiver (optical cable) and Motorola 5100 HDTV cable box (Component 2: 480p/ 1080i setting)(S-Video: 480i setting).

Picture: 1. HDTV: Superb, transparent with depth range and luminosity that has to be seen to be believed.There is some red push but its the Motorola box, not the panel.
2. DVD: Excellent, warm film like picture with both progressive and interlaced scan. Quirk: I prefer interlaced for reasons below under Desired improvements.
3. Non-HD NTSC: Good to awful. I notice progressive inputs are either good or awful. S-video as it uses the panels comb filter makes awful material watchable, but fair to "good" material is better with progressive (480p on Component 2).

Settings: I set-up the panel using video essentials DVD and the warm 1 setting that I find is closest to the NTSC 6500K. Result DVD's look great. HD and NTSC could do with different settings for an optimum picture, which leads me to:

Improvements that Samsung could have made:
My two biggest issues are the fact that only one picture setting can be saved on this panel. It would have greatly improved things if each input had the ability to save a unique picture setting. Try as I may, the DVD ideal (to my eyes) settings does not quite work for HD sources as the black levels (contrast) needs to be different. Its a pain to have to do this while watching different sources and Samsung could easily have fixed this (if it was a cost thing they could have saved a few bucks by getting rid of the useless built-in 7 watt amplifier).
Next, the panel has excellent aspect controls that really work very well. Why did Samsung decide to lock the aspect controls for all progressive or HD settings?? The result is for DVD's not set-up in 185:1 widescreen (many are in 2.35:1) the progressive output results in black bars up and down which I for one do not like on any display other than a front projector. In some HD channels, that are actually playing non-HD material there are black bars all around.
Third, there should be some burn-in protection; this panel has non.

ED or SD versus HD displays: I am really happy I bought an ED display. 852*480 is plenty. My viewing distance is 11 feet and I cannot see any pixelazation whatsoever. I have carefully compared my neighbors Sony 42 " 1048*1048 HD display and even he now says mine is better. This has nothing to do with Samsung over Sony but rather ED versus HD in 42 inch plasmas. For DVD and NTSC sources the ED display is outright better (obviously in my humble opinion). HDTV looks better on the HD display as expected BUT only when viewed from close. At 11 feet they look identical to my eyes. Note this is not the case in a 50 inch Fujitsu display I watched for a while where HD sources were undoubtedly better than mine ( for 15 grand plus they better be!).

All-in-all I am very happy with my purchase. No doubt, as has been repeatedly stated on this thread, price and the Costco return policy are very important as well.

Finally, have any of you got your rebate check back from Costco. I sent mine in on Jan 21st and they have processed it weeks ago but no check yet.
post #202 of 853 Old 03-05-2003, 11:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally posted by marchristensen

I would be happy to try a FAQ on Akai. It will take me some time, because I am far from an expert, but perhaps I could pattern it after one of the existing FAQ's.
That's great! Thanks for volunteering, Mark! I think you'll make a great Akia FAQ. For a good place to start, Sixsevans has come up with a very nice format for brand specific FAQ's that you could be helpful as a guide if you want (and it keeps it consistant with the others) and then expand/modify it for your specific needs. And if you wish, I think you'll find a lot of help with putting it together here on the forum.
post #203 of 853 Old 03-19-2003, 11:30 AM

Was in Costco yesterday and noticed they made a change to their Akai. Don't know exactly how recent this is, but I think it's from this week.

You can see here.
post #204 of 853 Old 03-20-2003, 04:22 PM
Advanced Member

Received rebate check today :)
post #205 of 853 Old 03-20-2003, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fooshnik
Was in Costco yesterday and noticed they made a change to their Akai. Don't know exactly how recent this is, but I think it's from this week.

You can see here.

They have this deal last week, I bought it and I love it. Hang it on the wall. Thanks to this forum.
post #206 of 853 Old 03-20-2003, 07:02 PM
Advanced Member

Good luck Hunter. I 'm with you. This forum has given me more information and solutions than I ever thought possible.
post #207 of 853 Old 03-21-2003, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

Went to Cost-no today to see what the Akai was all about and was suitably impressed by the unit for the price. Watched a couple of DVDs through a progressive DVD player and the unit performed well (in spite of the warehouse lighting.)
Wish I could have played with the menu, but they are on the bottom of the panel, and inaccessible. As displayed it could have used a little more contrast and a hair deeper blacks, but would hate to judge it as it stood in the store (bad lighting, no picture tweaks via VE or Avia).

For the $1000 savings over the panny, could afford a RIO ReplayTV 5060 (Built in RJ-45, built in Progressive Output, built in RS-232, home networking, broadband support, picture sharing, content sharing, Internet management, and a few other features. Third, subscription cost was cheaper.), and still have lots of money left over for HDTV cable subscription, and ReplayTV subscription... Lots of WAF with the ReplayTV and the Cost-No return policy "peace of mind".

Doc Rings

PS: Thanks for keeping this thread and the "Costco" name in the title as I would have never known about this plasma anywhere else but this FANTASTIC forum!!!!
post #208 of 853 Old 03-21-2003, 11:12 PM

Well, I was kind of ticked off when they lowered the price so fast. I checked my receipt and I was under 30 days since I got it. Basically, I went in and talked to them, and they adjusted the price to what it is now. I really like the customer service there. Now, it is like I got in on the rebate after all, and did even a little better than the rebate price. :)
post #209 of 853 Old 03-22-2003, 11:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 387
FWIW: Sonicblue is now in Chapter 11 and is attempting to sell off the ReplayTV division. Tivo is -- imho -- better and the company is not in any current danger of a liquidation.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #210 of 853 Old 03-22-2003, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Docrings - You might find this post useful
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...light=akai+faq
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page