panny 6uy progressive scan - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-08-2004, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the 6uy and use a 3 year old panasonic dvd-31 standard dvd player that I run through the rgb component. Although I'm happy with the way it looks, I know this isn't the greatest dvd player and doesn't even have progressive scan. My question is, would progressive scan really improve pq that much considering the plasma tv has progressive scan, or should I buy a new dvd player? I don't intend to spring for anything expensive, so I'm really just wondering if progressive scan in and of itself will make a big difference - I know nicer dvd players will make a difference for unrelated reasons. Thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-08-2004, 01:44 PM

The plasma may have 480p but the source is not. It is upconverting it. You could upconvert it all the way to 1080p and it would still look like 480i.

Bottom line you will notice a slight improvement in my opinion if you got a progressive scan dvd
post #3 of 13 Old 01-08-2004, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I run through the rgb component
RGB & Component are 2 different standards. You cannot run RGB into a Component input and vice-versa. Some Plasma's inputs accept both and will auto detect what source it is.

My DVD palyer looks better on 480P then 480i Component (Y,Y-R,Y-B). It all depends on the DVD players format conversion quality. Make sure its 10 bit.

Notes

11 is one Louder!
post #4 of 13 Old 01-08-2004, 04:00 PM

Notes,

You can run Component and Rg into the PC Input and or through the Bnc connectors in the 6uy models

The Component and Rgb inputs are switchable on the 6uys

must have been typing this when you edited your reply, sry:)
post #5 of 13 Old 01-08-2004, 04:22 PM

Yes, it does look much better with a progressive scan DVD player. Better yet, get the Bravo D1 and the DVI/HDCP card for your monitor (about $400 total for both) and be blown away by the picture quality!
post #6 of 13 Old 01-08-2004, 04:32 PM

capprentice

Yes thats true I have the 50" Consumer version and you can only run RGB into the PC Input I was told you could run Compnent to it when I bought it but it turns out you can'tand thats only way it accepts 720p. I have ordered a 10 bit Component to RGB converter which I should have soon. I will then be abe to feed 720p direct to my set.

Notes

11 is one Louder!
post #7 of 13 Old 01-08-2004, 07:11 PM

there's a good article on hometheaterhifi.com on dvd players...

Check it out- it explains your exact question.
cheers,
wp.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-09-2004, 12:16 AM
AVS Special Member

The reason a progressive scan DVD looks better is that film material is stored on a DVD as two parts of a progressive frame, and the interlaced DVD player is expected duplicate the interlaced frame components, creating the 3:2 pulldown. By using a progressive scan player you bypass the need for the DVD player to create 3:2 pulldown and for the TV to detect and undo it.

In either case there is deinterlacing (combining the interaced fields into one progressive frame), but the process is much more simple and direct for film material from a progressive scan player to a progressive scan TV.

-- Rob
post #9 of 13 Old 01-09-2004, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. As usual, you are all quite helpful. So now my quest begins to find a new prog. scan dvd player for around $200. Any suggestions?
post #10 of 13 Old 01-09-2004, 07:19 AM

My experience is slightly different. I have a Denon 910 pscan DVD player. Hooked it up to 6UY with component. It looks great! Then I found out that I didn't have the progressive scan switch turned on on the back of the 910. When I did switch it on, the picture looked the same. So, unless the 910 is putting out 480P regardless of the switch setting, it appears that the pHD6UY does a good job with a 480i input using component. It looks great either way!
post #11 of 13 Old 01-10-2004, 05:14 PM

DanQ said...

My experience is slightly different. I have a Denon 910 pscan DVD player. Hooked it up to 6UY with component. It looks great! Then I found out that I didn't have the progressive scan switch turned on on the back of the 910. When I did switch it on, the picture looked the same. So, unless the 910 is putting out 480P regardless of the switch setting, it appears that the pHD6UY does a good job with a 480i input using component. It looks great either way!
---------------------------------------

I've got the Denon 910 as well, with a Panny TH50PX20U/P - component into the AV Receiver (Kenwood VR4900), and component to the display. I did remember to set the DVD player to Progressive Scan, then noticed a one pixel wide line down the right side of the display. After narrowing it down to the DVD player, I switched it to Interlaced and the line disappeared. Have I missed something in the forums about this? Thanks for any help.
post #12 of 13 Old 01-10-2004, 05:33 PM
Advanced Member

Could be either a DVD player problem or a problem with the component pass through on your receiver. Have you tried hooking up the player directly to the plasma without the receiver in between to see if the line persists?

Spleen

What do you mean, I can't afford it!?
post #13 of 13 Old 01-10-2004, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The Pioneer DV-563A is a popular all format DVD/SACD/MP3/etc player with reasonably good progressive scan playback, and it is under $200(US). Look over in the DVD section, there's a long thread about it. It's not the best progressive out there, but it does an OK job.

The killer deal was last-year's Panasonic players, which were under $200 and had really good Faroudja de-interlacing processors. They made a great picture. Alas, Panasonic changed it, took out the expensive de-interlacer and this year's models are nothing special.

These days, you gotta step up to a Denon or something in the $300+ range to get the Farudja de-interlacer.

nuke
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page