Pany video-in video-out, works? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-22-2004, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HI,
I'm finally getting around to wiring everything up to my new Pany PHD6, i.e., 2 VCRs, 1 DVD, 1 Cable box. The Pany slot 2 card shows (and in manual) a video IN and a video OUT. I'm now using the video IN. And I wanted to run the video OUT back to a switching box for recording on VCR. The Pany manual, page12, shows this but the OUT going to another monitor. Anyway, when I plug a video cable into the video OUT the color on the Pany goes crazy off. Super high contrast and other cr@p. Now how dumb can this (or I?) be, a video OUT that screws up the picture :mad: Anybody know what I'm doing wrong? (I hope it's me and not Pany :confused: ) All suggestions appreciated.
regards - tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-23-2004, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Tom,
Guess you have posted a stumper, what???
Maybe you will have to call Panasonic?
Wonder what number you will call and how long it will take to find someone who has a clue as to what your question is about?
Good luck old chap.
tom
post #3 of 6 Old 05-24-2004, 08:00 AM

While I believe your first call should be to the vendor you bought it from, you could try Bob at 201-348-7831.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-24-2004, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

The AV BNC inputs on recent PDPs use an auto sensing 75 ohm terminator ( no, not Arnold) so if you plug in one cable, it gets a 75 ohm term. If you plug in a second cable and the other end is open, the video line becomes unterminated because it needs to be connected and terminated at the new end of the line.

If you leave it disconnected, you will see the over mod distortion you are talking about. So hook up the other end already !
As long as the destination has an internal 75 ohm terminator, you'll be ok but will then have to leave it connected at all times.

Side note, some folks install a pair of RCA to BNC adapters on the plasma to aid in ease of plugging/unplugging various other equipment. The mere fact of installing the adapter (without any wires) will cause the same symptom and create the same kind of "panic" so that's basically a no no.

Some dealers have exchanged units thought to be defective due to this overmodulation cockpit error only to find the replacement unit does the same thing.

T. Wiz

Techniwizard posts as an Independent Servicer
post #5 of 6 Old 05-24-2004, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Techniwizard,
Right you are. When I first tried it I ran the cable to a switch box. This was same as leaving it open ended. Works good if terminated like you say. For-hell-of-it I tried just a BNC-RCA adapter (no cable) and it did exactly like you said, same thing. IMHO, Pany needs to add this to their manual. I was sorta fooled into this by the problem of using the video IN with S-video connection. Those two don't work together even with only one live source. But then again that is about two inputs, not an iny and outy. Thanks again, I probably won't need the video distribution amplifier now. Got to re-think the master cable design plan.
regards - tom
post #6 of 6 Old 05-25-2004, 08:53 AM

I believe the video out is intended for connecting to another display to create an array.
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page