post #1891 of 1906 Old 05-26-2005, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvoorn
('Cos I have clayface, I can't really judge the tradeoff of going to Component for my DVD player... Is there a cheap 'two-way switch' for DVI ports? )
If you want to go with a switch, it is probably simpler if you get an HDMI switch and a DVI->HDMI converter. Then you can leave your DVI port free to be configured as RGB.

You need to connect audio directo receiver when you convert DVI->HDMI, but that shouldn't be a big issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1892 of 1906 Old 05-26-2005, 09:27 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvoorn
Arghhh... Had one of those 'I'm an idiot moments' last night...

In the stores I had quickly glanced at the ports and thought... plenty for my needs...

HDMI, DVI and an RGB port for hd cable, dvd player and my PC respectively...

Wrong!!!... I mistook the RS-232c for an PC-monitor connection.

What's my cheapest high-quality way out of this shortage?

('Cos I have clayface, I can't really judge the tradeoff of going to Component for my DVD player... Is there a cheap 'two-way switch' for DVI ports? )

paul
Try a Gefen DVI Switch. It has over 1.5 GHz worth of Bandwidth.

Bob
post #1893 of 1906 Old 05-26-2005, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Definitely if you are going to get a switch I would go with an HDMI switch and a DVI/HDMI cable for your video and DVD; and then VGA to DVI cable for the PC.

(Note to owners of other brands: the VGA to DVI works only because the input on the Sharp is DVI-I and thus accepts signal on the analog pins. This does not work with the usual DVI-D.)
post #1894 of 1906 Old 05-26-2005, 08:43 PM

pcmall has a inexpensive dvi switch. Not sure what resolutions it supports. It is on my list if I can figure out how to get my sir-ts160 direct tv /hdtv to output two outputs. I can't get the rgb to work with the aquos. Says incompatable signal. I think it may be a wrong type of rgb. I am going to call samsung and then sharp, maybe I can get a converter of some sort.
post #1895 of 1906 Old 05-26-2005, 08:51 PM

I was looking at a $30 chaintech dvi card but it does not show 1080i support, or any 1920 x .... support. Does anyone know any really cheap dvi cards that will do 1080i? all I am trying to do is picture stuff.
post #1896 of 1906 Old 05-26-2005, 09:12 PM

Would a “Gefen 2x1 HDTV Switcher,†suffice? Also would this be the preferred method of connection for an “XBOX,†or a “PlayStation?â€
Thanks.
George
post #1897 of 1906 Old 05-26-2005, 10:11 PM

Another minor "ahhhh cr@p!" moment....

(the story so far... amongst other fiascos and clayface, I realized that there WASN'T and RGB (PC monitor) port on the back of the LC45GD4U...)

So I trotted out to RadioShack to get an RGB-DVI converter... plugged it into the laptop... plugged my super-long, built-into the wall-a-year-ago, DVI cable and hooked it up to my tv... nothing! :( The ahhhh crap moment? When I realized that the cable is DVI-D and therefore won't carry the RGB signal .... sigh.... Back to radio shack tomorrow to get an RGB-DVI converter that I can stick at the TV-end of my super-long-built-in-to-the-wall-RGB-cable!

(Are you guys chuckling out there?).

On to my next questions...
... when I rebuilt the fireplace a year ago, I put in HDMI, DVI, 2 component, RGB, and a spare 3/4" smurf-conduit for grins.... MAN, DO I EVER WISH I PUT IN A 3"DIA DRAINPIPE!!!!!
... Now I've seen all you guys raving about the GX (and it is 1/2" thinner which is a deal for my wife)... I'm considering going for that... I had seen it in a store but decided against it because a) the cable issue (below) b) I didn't see value in the extra box c) where the box would have to go is behind a chair wrt. the usual spot for using the remote control...

Anyway... the GX seems to have a custom cable. I'm assuming the first two cables are HDMI and DVI-I, so I can re-use my HDMI and DVI-D that are in-wall already, but the 3rd cable = Sharp specific...

1) What's the diameter of the plug (Is it much bigger than s-video? Does it go through 3/4" smurf?)
2) how long is that cable?
3) can you easily separate it from the bundle?
4) is the IR sensor on the GX on the AVC or on the TV?

thanks
paul
post #1898 of 1906 Old 05-27-2005, 12:31 AM
AVS Special Member

The GX uses 3 cables that are molded together as a flat relatively thick cable.

The three cables are dual-link DVI-D, 20-pin DFP, and proprietary audio cable.

The DVI carries video and although it is dual-link DVI-D many folks have had success with single-link DVI-D.

The 20-pin DFP carries IR commands and control commands between display and AVC.

The third "svideo-like" cable is for audio. If you use your receiver for audio then don't worry about it. It is roughly the same size as svideo cable. I believe you can buy it separate after-market. I think the stock cable is around 10-12 feet. I don't believe it is the easiest to separate because there may be a rectangular molded bar to ensure the cables don't separate. I'm sure if you were determined enough with an xacto knife you could separate them. I'm only saying it isn't as easy as peeling away the cables.

I know the IR sensor is definitely on the display. There might be another one on the AVC, but I'll guess probably not. My AVC is behind a wall with no line of sight and it works fine.

I think if it is going to be major pain to run the GX cable through to your fireplace, you are better off with the GD4U and using your existing cables.

Thanks for the tip, I'll make sure I put in 3" drain pipe if I ever remodel.
post #1899 of 1906 Old 05-27-2005, 10:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Im thinking of getting this set.
This is very overwhelming thread for someone just jumping in. Can someone summarize for me all the problems with this set.
Can it do 1:1 pixel mapping when feeding it 1080.
I do see the term "clay face" in a post as a problem. Anything else.

Thanks!!
post #1900 of 1906 Old 05-27-2005, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

The Audio Visual Controller (AVC) is only capable of 1920x1080i. The display itself is capable of 1920x1080p if you connect a device directly to the DVI port on the display instead of the DVI port on the AVC. To make this practical most folks are using Gefen DVI switcher. To date, folks have gotten iScan, lumagen, mac, nvidia, and some ati models to work this way at 1080p. It is not an officially supported resolution, but many have gotten it to work. The GX is the only model with external AVC, thus is the only model where you can bypass the AVC and go direct to monitor. AVC still needs to be connected even when using as computer monitor.

Clayface is a defect in some of the displays which Sharp has said they have fixed in a new firmware release that is being tested now. It doesn't affect all displays and is by no means indiginous to the display.

The display is one of the best for LCD, but in the end it is still LCD. There are good points and bad points, too many to discuss here. I think the black levels are acceptable, but I also think the black levels on Pioneer are acceptable, where some do not. If you are in the "must have Panny plasma black-level camp" then LCD is not for you. I have seen LCDs where I thought the black levels were not acceptable, and the Sharp is way better than those. Overall I've been pretty pleased with the display and the SD picture quality was much better than I expected. The Sharps are loaded with features and surprisingly I'm using most of them.

There are some minor issues I've noticed like the HDMI port forgets which stretch mode I had it configured on and the audio sometimes clicks or pops if the Dolby Digital stream is very corrupted (using internal QAM or ATSC tuner) I consider the latter an exception as normally my digital HD signals are clean, but I'm currently having problems with Comcast. All receivers will click to some extent when the DD stream is lost but most will try to mute the sound instead of popping.

If you need a media cable longer than the one provided, they are a little pricey, but not more so than AVC media cables from Pioneer.

There are fans on the unit so you can't mount flat on the wall as you need some clearance for airflow. The fans are one of the quietest I've heard so that's not a big issue.

The HDMI port worked well with Panasonic S77 upconverting HDMI player.

The stretch modes are available for 720p/1080i using internal QAM tuner, but for DVI/HDMI the stretch modes are only available for 1080i, not 720p (which is limited to 16:9 standard)

There are tons of inputs on this thing, 2xcomponent, dvi (dvi-d, dvi-a, dvi-i), hdmi, svideo, firewire, pcmcia, 2 ntsc tuners, atsc/qam/cablecard tuner, and twin (side-by-side) picture.

There is a builtin 1-bit "digital amp" ala Panasonic digital amps in the TV which works well with DD streams.

That's about all I can think of for now.
post #1901 of 1906 Old 05-27-2005, 01:18 PM

When I first found this thread, it had taken me close to whole day to catch up. And that was in January 05... I can imagine how difficult it must be for a first-timer now.

There are a couple of things I would like to add to sfhub's excellent summary:

1. Even though it is "still and LCD" screen, it is of amaizing quality. I just finished setting up a 61" Mitsubishi Plasma TV for my parents. PQ was very very good. I came back to my GX and all I could say was: wow. 1080p really rocks.

2. If your HT set-up includes a mac or a pc, I can only say that as of today, this is still the very best display available. From iTunes visualizer, to photo slideshows, to readability (at 1080p or switch to 720p for larger fonts), to playing movies, the GX is in a league of its own. There are a few items that need to be acquired (like the DVI switch, and the DVI doctor (40$), DisplayConfig or other), but it's well worth the little tinkering.

I don't know what is coming out next generation, but for the time being, I think the GX is still king of the hill.
post #1902 of 1906 Old 05-27-2005, 02:08 PM

I was just thinking, could I buy the chaintech dvi card that has higher resolutions than, but not 1920x1080, and use powerstrip to config it to 1080i?
post #1903 of 1906 Old 05-28-2005, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Add the minimac with the ati 9200 graphic cards to the most likely will work column. One person had trouble but another posted that he booted right in to a mac os 1080P desktop without any problems. This is in the mac chat section of the HTPC forum.
post #1904 of 1906 Old 05-29-2005, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 269
New LC-45 thread?

this thread is up to 64 pages and difficult for someone to wade through

we could start a new LC-45 thread with a link to this one, which would be locked

what do you think ?

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #1905 of 1906 Old 05-29-2005, 07:48 AM

I think a new thread is a very good idea. We find ourselves repeating much of the same tips and problems over as the thread has become too long for anybody to take the time to read entirely before posting.

What would be ideal is a long summary with all issues -- resolved or not, before we move on. Anybody feels up to it? Or better yet, a FAQ section. Is it possible?
post #1906 of 1906 Old 05-29-2005, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Please go Here for PART 2 of the LC-45 Owners Thread ;)

this thread will be closed soon: please post to new thread

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page