Now that the LC-45GX6U is delivering we need to take the pressure off of Mike's popular thread that has become unfortunately tangential for the owners to dicusss tweaking issues and any problems that arise...... such as Phoenix's dead pixel.
It seems as though, at this point, about 5 people on the forum: Mike, Jason, Phoenix, sorry and sawyer, have taken delivery of the glorious Sharp 1080p 45" LCD, which although about 3 months late, appears to be well worth the wait.
Significant highlights of the 300+ posts about the LC-45GX6U so far:
1) AVC box will not accept 1920 x 1080p.
DVI-I input into the panel WILL accept up to 1920 x 1080p at 60 hz. (59.9 Hz, actually, according to Jason)
2) Maximum PC resoultion into the AVC box is 1280 x 1024.
remote controlled DVI switcher will pass through 1920 x 1080 at 60 hz resolution from your PC with no overscan and allows its second DVI input to be used by the AVC box for all other inputs.....including the HDMI.
4) Scaler is located in the AVC box, but the DVDO iScan works 'very well' with the monitor between the AVC box and DVI input on the panel. It was reccomended to wait until January '05 to purchase the new iScan which will have a HDMI input.
5) The jury is still out as to whether the Sony STR-DA9000ES
, which is a relatively high end 7.1 receiver with DVI switching (2 inputs 1 output), will pass though 1920 x 1080p at 60 hz without clipping the signal, and do as good of a job as the Gefen mentioned above (which is 1/10 the price).
6) The jury is still out whether the LC-45GD4U will accept native 1920 x 1080p at 60hz, because its scaling and interconnects are internal.
7) BUY ONLY FROM A SHARP AUTHORIZED DEALER ! Check www.sharpusa.com
for a list to make sure you did and have warranty coverage.
8) Windows High Definition Video
, acording to Phoenix, looks fantastic in 1080p...but there has been a surround sound issue with the Microsoft format being "WMA Pro", which differs from Dolby and will be matrixed in by S/PDIF standard receivers....according to amirm with microsoft.
He mentions that a 'new Pioneer Receiver' is needed to properly decode the WMA Pro format of wmv audio.
9) PQ has been, for the most part, 'as good as' or 'better' than the expectations of early adopters (whose VISA bill right NOW is ugly)
10) Rogo has decided that the new SHARP flat panel LCD's outperform Plasmas. :D
I plan to hook up the High Def Tivo by HDMI later this week and will report on the findings.
Good luck Chavel and Jeremy on your arrival this week. I hope you plan to have a cigar.