Panasonic TH-42PWD3 versus PT-42PD2-P - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-04-2001, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter
pth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've seen the Panasonic TH-42PWD3 (looks great!) and read the review that says, in effect, "just buy this one." However, one misgiving I have about it is (if I'm understanding the reviews and the spec data correctly), it has only two aspect ratio settings: 4:3 and 16:9; as I understand it lacks the capability to zoom in or out to stretch a 4:3 signal to fill the whole wide screen (some direct view CRT HDTVs, I see, have 5 or 6 settings).

However, have noted that this unit is primarily aimed for the commercial market and that Panasonic recently has come out with a comparable unit which is said to be meant for consumer sales, the PT-42PD2-P.

So, questions, to anyone who can help...

1. Do the TH-42PWD3 and the PT -42PD2-P have the same, identical screen? It appears the hardware is somewhat scaled down on the PT-42PD2-P, but it's also several hundred dollars cheaper. What's the dif?

2. Is the the PT-42PD2-P, then, true HDTV, or does it classify as only SDTV or EDTV?

3. Does the PT-42PD2-P allow for variable sizing of the 4:3 signal to allow it to fill the screen?

4. Has anyone seen the PT-42PD2-P on display and if so, is it as good to look at as the "indsutrial strength" TH-42PWD3 version??

Thanks in advance -- really want to be cautious before taking the leap on so expensive a piece of equipment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-05-2001, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I called Panasonic on Saturday to specifically ask them what the difference was between the two models. The tech support person said that the only difference was that the TH-42PWD3 comes packaged with a stand. I was going to order either one based on that information but if they gave me bum information I would like to know!!
Can anyone else confirm this??

Phil
post #3 of 4 Old 02-05-2001, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
1. i don't think there is a difference between the two in terms of display and capabilities. but i caution that i have only seen the th-pw42, not the pt version (the th is the version for sale here in the states).

2. it is not true HDTV. it scales everything down to 480p -- this is SDTV i believe.

3. good question. i don't know the answer to that one. (panasonic's website states that the picture can be stretched to fill the screen, but i would verify this).

ps. i also think it is the PT version that comes with the stand, not the TH version.

[This message has been edited by mopgcw (edited 02-06-2001).]
post #4 of 4 Old 02-05-2001, 11:29 PM

Liked: 10
I was told the PT comes with the stand too. I am also getting conflicting info about the stretch modes. I might be able to see a TH again. If I do, I will make a note of the aspect ratio capabilities.
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page