Pan TH-42PHD7UY Black level changing - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 449 Old 06-02-2005, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
slightly off topic, but FWIW, my Panasonic CRT RPTV (PT-53TW53) has this issue as well. Maybe it's an issue in some common component? All sources, all inputs, regardless of user and service menu settings.

Westinghouse 42w2 1.00 | TiVo HD 1TB | Sony DVP-NS70H | Panasonic SA-XR55 | Paradigm Monitor 9 & CC-350 v1 | Harmony 676 | Vista MCE HTPC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 449 Old 06-03-2005, 09:40 AM
Advanced Member

zeionez:
" Just so you Panasonic people dont feel alone. I have the new samsung 4232 and it is showing the strobing effect with the black no matter what input i use. it makes watching this tv very distracting "

I've seen this also posted from a Samsung LCD owner, but he said it went away on his set if you turn off the "auto brightness" or "auto contrast" or some such thing.

I was VERY impressed with the Samsung 4232, but a little concerned about their "samsung" picture quality causing burn in on a plasma display. Most people tell you to tone down the contrast and brightness a little on the plasmas. You sure can't beat the feature set on the Samsung. Even two tuners and two RF inputs.
post #273 of 449 Old 06-03-2005, 12:37 PM

Quote:
I was VERY impressed with the Samsung 4232, but a little concerned about their "samsung" picture quality causing burn in on a plasma display. Most people tell you to tone down the contrast and brightness a little on the plasmas. You sure can't beat the feature set on the Samsung. Even two tuners and two RF inputs.
I have the power saving mode turned off, but I have looked all through the manual and I have not seen any auto contrasting to take off, anyway I am returning the Samsung and getting a replacement. If it continues to be a problem I am going to get the Panasonic.
post #274 of 449 Old 06-03-2005, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless33
I've seen this also posted from a Samsung LCD owner, but he said it went away on his set if you turn off the "auto brightness" or "auto contrast" or some such thing.
That might have been me. At least, I've also noticed this strobing on Samsung LCDs, especially when I'm watching at night in a dark room. At one point I thought it might be linked to the dynamic brightness and dynamic contrast settings, but I think it may have more to do with DNIe since I still notice the effect with those other settings off. Since DNIe is also incorporated into Samsung's plasma display, that might also explain why it shows up in this space. I'm not familiar enough with Panasonic plasmas to know if they have a similar feature.

- David
post #275 of 449 Old 06-06-2005, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Bump for any updates from anyone who may have resolved their black level changing problem.
post #276 of 449 Old 06-09-2005, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esac
Or maybe more aptly, does anybody own the PHD7uy who _doesn't_ have this issue? Mine is coming in today and I want to know if I have any chance of having a great viewing experience.
Did you find any answers on this here or elsewhere? :o
How is your unit performing?

~~~ Happy Viewing ~~~

post #277 of 449 Old 06-12-2005, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasTLane
Did you find any answers on this here or elsewhere? :o
How is your unit performing?
Got it, definite black levels changing, flickering, no luck in getting it fixed :( I contacted panasonic and they had me set it to -10 contrast/brightness, and cinema mode which minimizes the effect, but i still see it , and now i must turn every light off in the house to watch it.
post #278 of 449 Old 06-13-2005, 09:32 AM

Did you find a solution to this problem. My panasonic plasma has the same problem.

thanks
toddl3@aol.com
post #279 of 449 Old 06-22-2005, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Here's my conclusion on this issue. It's all about the signal as the signals start to improve you'll see less of this. The better the plasma it will show all the flaws of signals. If you don't want to see this buy a edtv and you won't see it and as the signals improve your hd plasma will only improve where as the edtv will never look as good as an hd set. It's not Panasonic's bug its the lousy unstable signal your pumping into it! Hopefully Direct Tv will be out with better signals or someone else.

These are just my opinions.
post #280 of 449 Old 06-22-2005, 01:42 PM
spa

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband
Here's my conclusion on this issue. It's all about the signal as the signals start to improve you'll see less of this. The better the plasma it will show all the flaws of signals. If you don't want to see this buy a edtv and you won't see it and as the signals improve your hd plasma will only improve where as the edtv will never look as good as an hd set. It's not Panasonic's bug its the lousy unstable signal your pumping into it! Hopefully Direct Tv will be out with better signals or someone else.
I don't think so. I ran (1) a signal from a an iScan video processor through it, (2) a direct connection from a Panasonic RP-91, and (3) a JVC SVCR. All had the problem and none of those sources would be considered subpar by any means.

Steve
post #281 of 449 Old 06-22-2005, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 214
SPA,

Can you site a DVD/Chapter time index that is reproducible. I would like to test my display.

Thanks,

Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #282 of 449 Old 06-22-2005, 01:50 PM
spa

I saw it quite a bit on the Empire Strikes Back. Go about 5 or 5 1/2 minutes in when they're on the ice planet of Hoth. Han walks in and tells the general he's leaving and gets into an argument with Leia; there were several shifts in brightness that I could see in the black bars on that scene.

It's something I saw several times on other movies too--Babe comes to mind.

Steve
post #283 of 449 Old 06-22-2005, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Steve,

I will give that a try tonight on my 657uy.
What model are you running?

-- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #284 of 449 Old 06-22-2005, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Well maybe I was just wishing that my expensive plasma problemwas just the signal? I hope someone can find a solution to this problem and give us Panny owners a fix. I have the brightness changing problem on certain stuff. I will watch this thread very carefully.

post #285 of 449 Old 06-23-2005, 06:42 AM
spa

Rich, I've now got a 50PHD7UY, though I encountered the problems on the 42PHD7UY. I've had no problems since I got the 50. I'd be surprised if you find anything; you've had that 65 for a while now and haven't seen anything.

oldcband, unfortunately my fix was to upsize. I've not seen any solution suggested except to muck with the brightness in ways that affect picture quality.

Steve
post #286 of 449 Old 06-23-2005, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Spa,

You are correct. I could not see any black level issues on my 65. But, boy is Empire Strikes Back a dark film. There were many scenes that where significant parts of the screen were black. I found myself raising with the brightness, but from what I can tell there was no detail there. Otherwise, the picture was stunning.

I wonder what this looks like on a CRT?

-- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #287 of 449 Old 06-23-2005, 04:50 PM

Quote:

I appreciate the helpful "conclusion" offered here but I can assure you that the signal is not the issue. The simplest way to test the level change is to simply turn on Panasonics own menu while the set is at normal setting. Do this in a dark room and you will see the entire panel "electrify" because of the bright menu appearing. THIS is the black level changing problem. It happens on every movie I watch. I am learning to ignore it but again: DO NOT buy a Panasonic until they fix this. Cheers.
post #288 of 449 Old 06-23-2005, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 128
I have had the 50PHD7UY since November and have not noticed this issue at all! I have now had the set ISF'd and the picture is stunning, including the Empire Strikes Back which looks great and not overly dark at all. The Correcting the grey scale really increased the detail of the set, making HD and most DVD's look incredible.
post #289 of 449 Old 06-23-2005, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I think JeffreyMouses' post above was intended for the Panny 42 HD model only. I tend to agree with him that buying any Panny 42 HD plasma before this issue is clearly addressed/corrected would be a potential regretful move. This is really a big deal.
post #290 of 449 Old 06-23-2005, 07:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysa4
I think JeffreyMouses' post above was intended for the Panny 42 HD model only. I tend to agree with him that buying any Panny 42 HD plasma before this issue is clearly addressed/corrected would be a potential regretful move. This is really a big deal.
All models and sizes have this problem.

post #291 of 449 Old 06-23-2005, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I've read enough posts to see that the 50 and 42 do this.

post #292 of 449 Old 06-24-2005, 11:17 AM

I'll echo and second the post by JeffreyMouse above - just bringing up the setup or picture menu screen (without adjusting anything) will trigger the shift in blacks to a slighly lighter tone in whatever you are watching. Plenty of movies and HDTV shows will do it as well, but this is an easy, repeatable, non-source or input dependant method of reproducing the issue.

The power supply hypothesis has been discussed before in this thread - although I am no engineer, the symptom of blacks getting lighter as the screen gets lighter seems to be just the opposite of what you would expect a power supply issue to exhibit (if the power supply couldn't handle it - wouldn't the entire screen get darker, not lighter?).

In any event, it is strange (to me anyway, but who knows what the real issues are, and I don't pretend to understand the complexity) that the S-Video issue was identified, updates on a fix were provided, and a fix was ultimately effectuated, but that the treatment of this issue by Panasonic seems to be much more opaque. Something like a "we too see the problem but six months later have still not been able to identify a solution" or even a "we have identified the problem on the main board of the unit but there is no easy fix so we have decided its not really a problem worth fixing" would at least console me that everyone is not just seeing things.

If only I didn't adore the rest of the unit and its otherwise magical picture so much.....(I think I am probably answering my own question by saying this).

Rob
post #293 of 449 Old 06-24-2005, 11:21 AM
Advanced Member

Is it possible that any of you who see this problem can attempt to reproduce it on the now released 8th gen consumer models? It would be a nice data point to have if it could be determined that the issue is now resolved with the new panels.
post #294 of 449 Old 06-24-2005, 01:27 PM

I've been shopping for a 42-inch plasma and discovered this thread in researching the TH-42PHD7UY.

I now understand why it has such a great price.
post #295 of 449 Old 06-24-2005, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

I just finished wading thru this whole thread. No mention of this phenomenon by owners of the new 50 series panels, or have I missed their mention in some other thread?

If these problems are absent in the commercial models, would it be presumptuous to assume they will be absent from the 8UKs?
post #296 of 449 Old 06-24-2005, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

One approach is to wait until about 2 months after shipping. They seem to get the breakables out.

My 4UY S-Video input is broken it does not size correctly.

The earlier model (I forget which) had power off problems. The 7UY's S-Video blade needed replacing. The good news it is usually something new each time :)
Maybe this time, there will be no problems.

-- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #297 of 449 Old 06-25-2005, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Any of you guys who are able to distinguish this anomaly care to head over to a B&M to replicate on the 50U series? I know this is a second request, but I don't think I would know what to look for to do it myself.
post #298 of 449 Old 06-25-2005, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB
One approach is to wait until about 2 months after shipping. They seem to get the breakables out.

My 4UY S-Video input is broken it does not size correctly.

-- Rich
There was a fix for that. Problem stems from any DC present on the Chroma leg of the S connection. I will not be in the office until July 18, but could get you that info then, easy fix as I recall.

T Wiz

Techniwizard posts as an Independent Servicer
post #299 of 449 Old 06-25-2005, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techniwizard
There was a fix for that. Problem stems from any DC present on the Chroma leg of the S connection. I will not be in the office until July 18, but could get you that info then, easy fix as I recall.

T Wiz
I know but Panasonic Tech support refused to ship me the board. I would have to carry the monitor in. That was way too much effort. It would be great If there is a way to get the replacement board.

Thanks,

Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #300 of 449 Old 06-25-2005, 12:10 PM

Does the black level problem affect 37pwd7uy? I;m gonna buy the 37" edtv soon...
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page