My NEC 50-XR4 arrived today - experience so far and initial impressions - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #151 of 176 Old 01-19-2005, 04:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Last night I had a bit of a scare with my new unit.

I had just attached the NEC speakers (PX-50SP1U) to the sides. I fired up my Tivo (SD) and noticed a vertical line of dead pixels on the right side of the screen! The line was approximately 20 inches tall, one pixel wide, and started at the very top of the screen about 2.5 inches to the left of the right-side bezel. :mad:

I changed channels (using the Tivo's tuner) to refresh the screen. No joy.

I turned the unit off/on a few times. No joy.

I unplugged the unit and left it unplugged for a few minutes. No joy.

I went to bed last night angry and upset that my brand new $5k plasma had already developed a defect. Before going to bed I checked on the return policy from Plasma Concepts (14 days).

Well, this morning I fired it up again to take precise measurements and snap a digital photo. The line of dead pixels was gone! WTF?!?!?

Has anyone seen this before where a brand new screen will develop dead pixels while viewing, then suddenly "fix" them overnight? I know I'm a newbie with this plasma technology, but that just seems too bizarre for words. I can't really return the screen now since it doesn't have any obvious defect. What should I do? :confused:

cr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 176 Old 01-19-2005, 06:39 AM

I don't remember reading anything like that happening, but then again other forum members would be better able to answer your question as they have been around longer than I. But this is the situation I am afraid off. I have had one bad experience with an HDTV and was lucky to be able to return it, but with only a 14 day window and a restocking fee, I am a little leary.

Hope you get it figured out, and look forward to pics and further reviews.
post #153 of 176 Old 01-19-2005, 07:51 AM

Pixel death is a random event, 625 pixels in the same line are not going to die simultaneously. That leaves the NEC signal processing or more likely the TiVo as the culprit. If it happens again try switching sources, either DVD or OTA antenna if you have one. You can also display a blank white screen screen with DVE or Avia if you have it, that will highlight any pixel issues.
post #154 of 176 Old 01-19-2005, 12:09 PM

After much thought and deliberation, I have decided to purchase the 50XM4 over the Panny 50HD7UY. I am planning on ordering this unit this afternoon. I have narrowed the field of e-tailers to VA, PC and 1800Plasmas. Based on experiences, can I go wrong with anyone of these sellers? Nervous and excited!!!
post #155 of 176 Old 01-19-2005, 12:14 PM

Got my VR5 from PC--they are great to work with.

Congratulations!!! The hard work is done--now sit back and enjoy
post #156 of 176 Old 01-19-2005, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MaverickHT
After much thought and deliberation, I have decided to purchase the 50XM4 over the Panny 50HD7UY. I am planning on ordering this unit this afternoon. I have narrowed the field of e-tailers to VA, PC and 1800Plasmas. Based on experiences, can I go wrong with anyone of these sellers? Nervous and excited!!!
Got mine from 1800Plasmas. Smooth transaction.

NEC has a warehouse in St. Louis. Your plasma will arrive faster than you thought.

:)
post #157 of 176 Old 01-19-2005, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sunra
Pixel death is a random event, 625 pixels in the same line are not going to die simultaneously. That leaves the NEC signal processing or more likely the TiVo as the culprit. If it happens again try switching sources, either DVD or OTA antenna if you have one. You can also display a blank white screen screen with DVE or Avia if you have it, that will highlight any pixel issues.
Right you are. After some more investigation, I see that this vertical line matches up with the right edge of the picture when the "Image Adjustment" is in 14:9 mode (stadium is default).

I think it is safe to assume it is a processing artifact. Hopefully this will cure itself as the screen ages a bit; I'd hate for this to show up in all my SD shows since the line could potentially burn-in to the screen.

Pictures to follow in a while after I get my HD cable box and the correct furniture.

cr
post #158 of 176 Old 01-19-2005, 07:32 PM

After literally 2 years of lurking, I am finally making my first post! Like many others here, I was set on the 7UY (actually, I was set on the Pio 503CMX a couple of years ago, then the 6UY, then the 7UY), but switched to the XM4 at decision time.

I finally ordered from PC and received my panel about 2 weeks ago. I had a very pleasant buying experience. The PC folks were friendly and helpful. . .and the plasma arrived in perfect condition in just 2 days!!! My only regret is that the price dropped $200 within days after my purchase. I can't complain though--I came very close to buying a 503CMX for about $8500 from visualextreme.us a couple of years ago. My purchase was long, long overdue.

As for the XM4, it is absolutely amazing! HD in my own home is a sight to behold! The after-image thing is a bit disconcerting, but I am convinced that true burn in is unlikely if the panel is setup and used prudently. My primary concern now is properly calibrating the display for each input and learning to cope with SD material and the various stretch modes.

I will post some pics once I figure out how.
post #159 of 176 Old 01-20-2005, 01:29 PM

I am curious if you NEC owners are seeing less image retention as you get more hours on the set?

If so, to what extent, does the image retention disappear completely, or simply diminish?

Lastly, how long did it take for the image retention to subside?

TIA

"Many of you are well enough off that ... the tax cuts may have helped you," Sen. Clinton said. "We're saying that for America to get back on track, we're probably going to cut that short and not give it to you. We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good."
post #160 of 176 Old 01-20-2005, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Any more comparison information between the 507UY and 50XR4. I'm still on the fence and need a swinging blow to one side or the other.

Can you comment on PQ noise, dithering, and false contouring between the 2 panels?

Thanks

Samsung PN60F8500, Panasonic TH-42PD25U/P, Pioneer VSX-1018TXH-K, Oppo BDP-93, Aperion Audio 5T&5C, HSU STF-2, PS3, Wii, HTPC, SD Homerun Prime, Ceton Echo
post #161 of 176 Old 01-20-2005, 05:30 PM

I am also contemplating these choices (see post above) but every time I lean to the 7UY... the fact of the XR4's 3 year warranty is a big advantage. Plus it is in-home service and the prospect of me hauling the 7UY about 75 miles to a service center a big consideration.

At forum sponsor current pricing (PC and TVA) the 50XR4 version is within $40 dollars of the 507UY+DVI card. To add the 3 year warranty cost of $500.00 bucks... pretty compelling.

"Many of you are well enough off that ... the tax cuts may have helped you," Sen. Clinton said. "We're saying that for America to get back on track, we're probably going to cut that short and not give it to you. We're going to take things away from you on behalf of the common good."
post #162 of 176 Old 01-20-2005, 06:20 PM

Those were the two models I was also contemplating. Ultimately, I decided on the XR4, not only for the 3 yr warranty, but also by the glowing recommendations on this board. It seems that the PQ from the two sets is near-perfect, but the 15-page thread at the top of this forum titled 'Problems with the Panny 7UY series....' steered me toward NEC. I know the real problem with the Panny is S-video, but that is how I plan on hooking up my SD DTivo.

I should have my XR4 tomorrow...*fingers crossed*
post #163 of 176 Old 01-26-2005, 09:06 AM

I am looking at the XM4, and I noticed at the TVA site, the model number is XM4A. Is this the same as the XM4, or are there differences? Anyone know?
post #164 of 176 Old 01-26-2005, 09:18 AM

If you look at the pdf brochure for the 50XM4, you'll see the model number listed as PX-50XM4A. I believe the A represents its regulatory classification as FCC class A.
post #165 of 176 Old 01-26-2005, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TowJumper
I am also contemplating these choices (see post above) but every time I lean to the 7UY... the fact of the XR4's 3 year warranty is a big advantage. Plus it is in-home service and the prospect of me hauling the 7UY about 75 miles to a service center a big consideration.

At forum sponsor current pricing (PC and TVA) the 50XR4 version is within $40 dollars of the 507UY+DVI card. To add the 3 year warranty cost of $500.00 bucks... pretty compelling.
If you are going to spend $4-5K on a plasma unit and it comes down to two choices -the NEC or Panasonic- the deciding factor IMO should NOT come down to a price variance of $200-600. I cannot emphasize enough that these two units are very different and you should choose the one that will fit your viewing needs. Saving or losing $500 is not enough of a compelling reason to choose one over the other especially if you are going to keep it for a minimum of 4-5 years. If you end up not liking it and want a change, $500 will be chump change.
post #166 of 176 Old 01-26-2005, 11:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you are going to spend $4-5K on a plasma unit and it comes down to two choices -the NEC or Panasonic- the deciding factor IMO should NOT come down to a price variance of $200-600.
I would concur with this assessment (even though prices are closer than that).

What wall mounts have the owners of the XM4 or XR4 used? What are your opinions on your choice? I need something with at least 4-5" of horizontal play for lateral movement of the plasma and having some degree of tilt would also be nice (my studs are spaced at 16"). I'm currently looking at the Premier PCM-200 but I'm not really sure the best way to go about this. Any help would be appreciated.

overtime
post #167 of 176 Old 01-26-2005, 11:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by caeguy
Any more comparison information between the 507UY and 50XR4. I'm still on the fence and need a swinging blow to one side or the other.

Can you comment on PQ noise, dithering, and false contouring between the 2 panels?

The Panasonic certainly betters the NEC in dithering and false contouring as it is a more refined unit in the realm of NON-HD. For High Definition, the differences are virtually nil but the colors and intensity from the Panny is MUCH MORED subdued vs. the NEC. The PQ noise on the Panasonic is virtually non-existent on it's default setting of Noise Reduction; increasing NR on the Panny yieled subtle softness with each step. Noise on the NEC was good but can be bettered by increasing the NR to one to two steps.

Again, the Panasonic is a excellent unit for critical viewing of movies and low light levels. The NEC is so much better for every day viewings -- I can tell you that I would have not enjoyed the NFL playoffs (in HD) on the Panny vs. the NEC in the last couple of weekends.
post #168 of 176 Old 01-26-2005, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by overtime
I would concur with this assessment (even though prices are closer than that).

What wall mounts have the owners of the XM4 or XR4 used? What are your opinions on your choice? I need something with at least 4-5" of horizontal play for lateral movement of the plasma and having some degree of tilt would also be nice (my studs are spaced at 16"). I'm currently looking at the Premier PCM-200 but I'm not really sure the best way to go about this. Any help would be appreciated.

overtime
I use the Peerless universal tilting mount with my XR4:

http://www.peerlessindustries.com/pr...pp=WA&ss=50,59

To be perfectly honest, I think my plasma juts out too far -- approx. 6.5 inches -- from the wall using this mount, but I didn't have a choice as my pre-installed wall outlet would have been covered up by something like the Chief mounts. On the other hand, there's more than enough clearance for an Ideal-Lume bias light back there...
post #169 of 176 Old 01-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

It looks like the best case might be slightly under 6" (3.8" panel depth plus 2" mount) so 6.5" doesn' t seem too far out of line. The Premier mount specs show 2.1" depth for the mount.

I really do need something where I can laterally shift the plasma about 5" and still have it mounted safely.

overtime
post #170 of 176 Old 01-26-2005, 11:37 AM

Overtime, the Peerless universal mount allows 6 inches of lateral shift.
post #171 of 176 Old 01-26-2005, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by overtime

Overtime,

I owned the Premier PCM-100 for the Pioneer 503CMX and subsequently moved it to the Panasonic 507UY as they were compatible. I thought about buying another Premier unit, the PCM-200, for the NEC XR4 but thought I needed a change with something less expensive and more flush to the wall.

I ended up purchasing the NON-TILTING Peerless PSW NEC42 from standsandmounts.com. At that time it was $121 with S/H. It looks as if they have since raised the price to $139.

Both the Premier and Peerless units are very well made. They both have a base plate that is mounted to the wall. Both wall plates will give you ~5-6" of horizontal play for stud alignment.

However, both implement very different plasma plates/mounts. The Premier PCM series uses two vertical mounts that uses hooks to mount to the horizontal bars of it's matching wall plate. The Peerless PSW units uses a center plasma plate fused to two vertial bars to the back of the plasma. As you can probably imagine, the Premier vertical hook mounts will give you addtional horizental movement if you need addtional lateral adjusements without the moving the wall plate. The Peerless is pretty much set in it's position once the wall plate is tightened down. The Peerless certainly is more cost effective and it does provide a neat additonal feature. It provides two torx screws to "lock" in the plasma plate to the wall plate. It's an odd sized torx screw that can only be threaded by a 48" long torx screwdriver -- which is provided. So if someone ever wants to steal your plasma, they pretty much will have to have such a screwdriver or pry the unit off the wall, plates, lagscrews and all...

From the wall to the back of the plasma is ~2.5 inches (which BTW, is NEC's recommneded MIN distance from wall) with the Peerless PSW. With the Premier, it's another 1 inch further out.
post #172 of 176 Old 01-27-2005, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well, I have been lurking here for a while now and was on the fence with the Panny, but purchsed the 50XR4 this morning (from Plasma Concepts) and it will be here tomorrow.

Tough decision though, but I am feeling better about it by the minute. So I will let you all know how it all turns out...

Thanks to a couple of you for putting up with my PM's!
post #173 of 176 Old 01-27-2005, 03:13 PM

After lurking for quite some time I too pulled the trigger on an NEC 50xr4 today, with it, I purchased the Peerless Tilt mount.

no firsthand knowledge, but I purchased Peerlees because it holds the Plasma closer to the wall than the Premier Mount.

I should have mine in a few days... and if Ethan Allen doen't mess with me again, I should be able to mount it before Valentines day.

---Greg
post #174 of 176 Old 01-27-2005, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

You ordered the XR4 from PC this morning? I called them yesterday and they were sold out...(???)

Anyways, I also went ahead and ordered the XR4A yesterday. I ordered it from RU Geekman. The cost was slightly higher but I think I'll probably have a slightly higher level of customer service as well. I spoke with him by phone and he seems easy to work with and very interested in my overall satisfaction level with both the product and service. I went with the Premier PCM-200 mount (I looked at the Peerless stuff but had a hard time finding information on depth) which lists the depth at 2.1".

I should have it at some point next week and I'll post my impressions after I play around with it for a bit. The other GREAT news is that Comcast just added Fox to their HD lineup (starting today!) so I'll be watching the Superbowl in all of its HD glory on my new plasma :D .

overtime
post #175 of 176 Old 01-27-2005, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

Overtime,

Yes, they were sold out but called me this am and told me they had a few cancellations. I was already working with another vendor but PC made it worth my while to make up for the overnight shipping as I was ready to purchase yesterday with them and need this set by friday.
post #176 of 176 Old 01-27-2005, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

I didnt know that Comcast was adding FOX, Cant wait til the Plasma gets here tomorrow... I will post pictures sometime this weekend, hopefully.

We probably need to start a 50XR4 owners/tweaks thread.
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page