Problems with Panasonic 7UY Series - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 469 Old 12-29-2004, 12:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi

I followed this thread alot and one question comes to mind, what about the scart-connection? Any1 know if this also has the problem?
Nobody is talking about the scart is this because it gives a bad picture or is it simply because it is not used in the USA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 469 Old 12-29-2004, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Andre -- And ? Was the quality better with s-video in the Lumagen ?
post #183 of 469 Old 12-29-2004, 08:12 AM

Well guys I just ordered it (yesterday in fact). I ordered it from Plasma Concepts and am thrilled by the price I paid (under $2500 including shipping and 5 year warranty - hope that's ok to post).

So when I get it (they say next week) I'll post back with my full thoughts...

Thanks again all!!!

Ross
post #184 of 469 Old 12-29-2004, 02:49 PM

Ok, so now that the Panny is on the way I've got another question. So we've covered the Composite/S-Video inputs to death, I know I may or may not see the problem, etc, etc, etc, but the question is which should I use?

I'm going to be watching DirecTV TiVo 95% of the time on this unit. Right now it's in the HT downstairs and is distrubuted to the rest of my house using a hard wired leapfrog system (over Cat5). The audio/video/IR quailty is actually really good, it looks great on my 32" Sony XBR in my family room. It would be a HUGE pain in ths a** to move it, but if it's worth it of course I will.

So, I do understand the technical difference, and I do know that s-vid is always better than composite but the question is, on this set, is it enough better to go through a ton of work for it?

If anyone out there has DirecTV w/Tivo (or without I guess) and could do an A/B for me and give me their thoughts I'd GREATLY apprecaite it!

Thanks all!!!

Ross
post #185 of 469 Old 12-29-2004, 04:24 PM

After trying for 2 1/2 years to get a decent battery out of Panasonic for a $300 portable phone, I sure would not hold my breath for a solution to the 7UY problems. As for me it will be an NEC in the New Year.
post #186 of 469 Old 12-29-2004, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Location: a peaceful time in the near future when all TVs have TiVolved...
Been taking a break from this thread for a while and just caught up...

EDTV is a progressive-scan technology by definition. It will take ALL interlaced signals (whether composite, s-video, or component) and de-interlace them. This is also known as line-doubling. Here's a primer on different signals if you're interested:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/hdtv_edtv.htm

As for the capacitor fix, there never has been any "official" word from Panasonic, only hearsay that there is a beta test blade in the works. Why Panasonic chooses not to "officially" make a statement or contact their consumers directly (or return phone calls) is a good question. I personally am trusting the "unofficial" sources to be honest and deliver accurate information, however there's always a chance that it's all a big smoke screen. I would think that Panasonic would be able to give more direct information if it exists. I can think of better ways of doing business to keep the consumer happy, but if a fix is offered, then kudos to Panasonic for responding to a problem so quickly even if their communication leaves much to be desired.

I believe that the capacitor fix at best will only fix the glowing bar issues. This problem does look like a mis-matched (or bad) capacitor. I doubt it will have much affect on the screen brightness (although maybe fixing the glowing bars will brighten up the middle of the screen). The uneven brightness occurs with ALL inputs (refer to my website "component" section if you haven't already). It is much less severe with component and doesn't impact normal viewing like it does with s-video.

So... I'm guessing the fix will make s-video watching tolerable, but it will not make the pluge screen any more perfect that the component picture currently is. Acceptable, but not perfect. A little disappointing for a 7th generation panel as one reviewer pointed out months ago.

As for the erratic brightness as you adjust the Picture setting, that is something with the electronics inside the panel and I seriously doubt Panasonic will attempt to correct it since it doesn't affect PQ (and would be unrealistically expensive to fix in everyone's panel). It's more of an irritation.

All s-video issues aside. The EDTV Panny PQ is incredible with bright scenes. It approaches HD in my opinion (although I can't tell the difference between ED and HD at 8-10' viewing distance). The dark scenes do require a lot of tweaking, but with a component source look pretty good. I've been watching upconverted s-video from my DirecTiVo for a couple weeks now and haven't been distracted by any brightness issues (although I do tweak the settings a lot). Progressive component from my cheap Toshiba DVD player is excellent.

For my fellow DirecTiVoholics ... here are my latest settings (remember this is s-video upconverted to component, although I think the settings should be the same):

Picture 11
Brightness -13
Color -4
Tint -1
Sharpness 0

Advanced Settings ->
W/B Low R 4
... to compensate for green tinted dark scenes (which someone told me is common with all plasmas)

I'll let everyone know when I find out more about the capacitor fix and what it actually fixes or doesn't fix. In the meantime, try to enjoy your shows/movies while we're all waiting for answers and fixes!

Happy holidays...

John
post #187 of 469 Old 12-29-2004, 08:48 PM

John,

Thanks for all this great information. I do have a question for you regarding my previous post. Could you do an A/B compare on S-Vid/Composite with your DirecTiVo for me? Basically I want to know if it's worth the huge pain in my a** to move my DirecTiVo from my HT up to my bedroom where my Panny is going to go. If you tell me its a big difference I'll do it, but I really want to better understand, real world, with this set, is it worth it? Is it 10% better? 20%?

Many thanks!!!

Ross
post #188 of 469 Old 12-30-2004, 07:44 AM

Hi, I'm new to the board, and have been reading all the posts about the 7UY series. Before stumbing across this board, I had my mind all made up about buying the 42PWD7UY and was just about to place my order at VA. Now, however, I'm very concerned about going through with this purchase considering the S-video and brightness issues. The S-video I could probably live with since I was planning on using it only for the satellite input.

So anyway, now with these issues, I'm scared, so I've been reading up on messages about the NEC PX-42VM5A. I've not actually seen the PWD7UY, all I've seen is the 42-PD25UP at local stores. I'm going purely by what I've read in reviews of the 7UY about the PQ and black levels/contrast being the best. What I'm wondering is, does anyone reading these messages have any knowledge about the NEC ? I can't find any reviews of the unit, and I want to know if the issues around the 7UY outweigh the PQ compared to the PQ/black/contrast of the NEC. Heck, I even thought about going ahead with the PHD7UY, but it seems from what I've read the brightness issues are just as bad in the PHD version as the PWD version.

If anyone has any info, personal comparison, etc about the 7UY compared to the NEC, or if anyone can tell me if the problems are more/less/same on the PHD vs the PWD, I'd much appreciate it. Like I said, I want to buy something ASAP - I've been researching for a month, and thought I had the bases covered, until now...

Thanks,
Michael
post #189 of 469 Old 12-30-2004, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Micheal i just bought the PWD in time for Christmas and the PQ is amazing.
i have it hooked up to Voom and man the hd is sharp. The PWD i have does not suffer from the brightness issue. i have watch sd,hd, & dvd, and there has not been one issue. Last nite i was watching Underworld and all the dark scenes where great. nice and black. This is the reason i bought.
you can not go wrong with the PWD. i have no issues.

Xbox live- SER 182
Mix Cloud
http://www.mixcloud.com/Ser182/
post #190 of 469 Old 12-30-2004, 08:11 AM
Advanced Member

RANT MODE ON

jhanson- Since this is your thread and baby...Maybe it would be time to close it , again...And start a closed or moderated thread with ONLY the facts and news from Panasonics or fixes that are found. This would stop the " I'm going with NEC now " thread that are getting tiresome.....

RANT MODE OFF
post #191 of 469 Old 12-30-2004, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cholerabob
RANT MODE ON

jhanson- Since this is your thread and baby...Maybe it would be time to close it , again...And start a closed or moderated thread with ONLY the facts and news from Panasonics or fixes that are found. This would stop the " I'm going with NEC now " thread that are getting tiresome.....

RANT MODE OFF
I can understand your frustration as a Panasonic owner of reading such posts, however I see this as a good thing. The reason is that if Panasonic is reading this thread then I believe it will provide an incentive for them to get some news out about this issue. They need to see that their lack of communication is costing them sales. If Panasonic is close to a fix then I think that is a good response time. But, as has already been stated, their communication sucks. I think it's ridiculous that they are leaving their customers in the dark without any communication directly from them or through their vendors. What are people supposed to think?
post #192 of 469 Old 12-30-2004, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Rickwil61 - Do you really believe that Panasonic cares about this thread? personally i really don't think so , cause if they did they would have sent a representative here and he would comment or talk to us users. Ok now i'm offtopic...
post #193 of 469 Old 12-30-2004, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Location: a peaceful time in the near future when all TVs have TiVolved...
ross - I'm not sure what an "A/B compare" is. If you can explain better what you are wanting to test, I'll be happy to test it out for you.

As for closing this thread, I have to guess that Panasonic is not even reading it. I doubt Visual Apex is keeping too close an eye on it. There appears to only be one unofficial Panasonic representative that chimes in every now and then with unofficial updates. So I wouldn't think we're changing much with this thread. This is more just deseminating information to owners and possible future owners of the panel. The website seemed to get some attention but that's because it's a quick easy thing for people to pass around and read versus 100's of post on a thread.

Also the moderators of the forum were nice enough to make this thread sticky and we almost lost the thread in the process. Better just to leave things alone. If you really want to try and send Panasonic a message, then let's try calling and emailing. Maybe someone can track down an email to their customer service / marketing groups? I'm sure getting emails about how people are considering NEC will make a difference if the message gets to the right person. If someone can find a good phone # or email to use, then please post it here.

As for NEC vs. Panasonic discussions, there have been several threads on the topic. I encourage people to search for those or start their own thread. This thread is for the Problems with the Panasonic 7UY series and not a discussion of alternative plasmas.
post #194 of 469 Old 12-30-2004, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
RANT MODE ON

RANT MODE OFF
I don't see what there is to "rant" about. I'd have to agree with Rick, that this can only help our cause and not hurt it. There's a chance that they have read the thread. I know in my e-mails to them I put links to the threads concerning the problems, and if they cared about keeping customers, I'm sure that seeing that other possible customers might be considering another brand could at least get them to communicate better with us, and maybe even contact us directly since we have taken the time to contact them. Also, Ross asked a question asking for opinion from owners and alternatives, and you shared your opinion about the subject, that you're happy with the unit even though it has some problems and feel he should buy it. I don't see what's wrong with me sharing my opinion, answering his question, saying that I don't think Panasonic deserves his business right now and that he should either get a NEC which has recieved good reviews like the Panasonic, or wait the problem out. I would agree that tmac145's post was not necessary but other than him and me no one has really talked about alternatives.
John, I think what Ross is saying is that he just wants you to compare S-video with composite and post your opinions on which of the two is better.

Robert
post #195 of 469 Old 12-30-2004, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by siegeld
I've being viewing recent digital photographs on my PHD7UY and have noticed a potentially strange picture artifact. It appears in these pictures that my hair is thinning substantially. Could this be related to the problems other people have reported?
Reading this made me laugh out loud literally! :D Great post.
post #196 of 469 Old 12-30-2004, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

I am sorry my "rant" was not directed at anybody in particular and was not meant to harm or insult anybody. Yes i am happy with my 7uy even with it's problems. Again sorry .
post #197 of 469 Old 12-30-2004, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Cholerabob,

It was only a brief test, but S-Video doesn't suffer from the composite decoding problems that require really heroic efforts (eg. Panasonic's 3D comb-filter), so going S-Video avoids all that stuff. This would be true whether you're using a video processor or something else.

--Andre
post #198 of 469 Old 01-01-2005, 10:58 AM

Okay, since my other post was not so well received by some people (even though I never said anything about going with an NEC; I merely asked about anyone who had a 7UY with problems had a comparison to the NEC), I will venture to ask another question around the 7UY only:

Does anyone know if the 50PHD7UY has the same symtomatic problems as the 42 7UY's? I looked at threads covering the 50 7UY, but hadn't run across anything, except for what was posted on this thread, which sorta hinted to it having the same problems. I'm thinking that the 50 7UY might not be such a bad buy considering the cost is only about 1100 more than the 42PHD. Of course, that's a pretty big jump from the 1950 for the 42PWD.
post #199 of 469 Old 01-01-2005, 01:08 PM
spa

See my comments here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...28#post4879128.

I was worried that the 50" would be too big (and it does look big--you should have heard my mother-in-law when she saw it :)) but it is great when watching movies.

Steve
post #200 of 469 Old 01-01-2005, 05:58 PM

doc

if you can find a new 50PHD7UY for $3050US, buy it and figure out if it has problems later.
post #201 of 469 Old 01-02-2005, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by docgreene72

Does anyone know if the 50PHD7UY has the same symtomatic problems as the 42 7UY's? I looked at threads covering the 50 7UY, but hadn't run across anything, except for what was posted on this thread, which sorta hinted to it having the same problems.
I can't speak for all 50 7UY's. But the one I have has the same problems as the 42.
post #202 of 469 Old 01-03-2005, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

docgreene: If you want to pm me, I will give you my opinion. I know many on this thread do not want to hear from me. They have told me so. And I do not like to make waves.
post #203 of 469 Old 01-03-2005, 07:53 AM
spa

Quote:
Originally posted by EZrider827
I can't speak for all 50 7UY's. But the one I have has the same problems as the 42.
Which problems, specifically?

Steve
post #204 of 469 Old 01-03-2005, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
I have a 507UY and was calibrating again today after 4 months of bliss with my DVE DVD. And just noticed that when adjusting picture settings, I get a brightness then darkness alternation when I adjust the picture. I have now set at -9 as anything higher it is appparent that there is something wrong. I haven't notice it effecting watching HDTV or dvd's though. Just more bothering now that it isn't perfect.
post #205 of 469 Old 01-03-2005, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Quote:
Originally posted by gadgetfreaky
I have a 507UY and was calibrating again today after 4 months of bliss with my DVE DVD. And just noticed that when adjusting picture settings, I get a brightness then darkness alternation when I adjust the picture. I have now set at -9 as anything higher it is appparent that there is something wrong. I haven't notice it effecting watching HDTV or dvd's though. Just more bothering now that it isn't perfect.
I noticed this as well. There black levels go up and down as increase the picture settings. I choose +9 on my 65.
-- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #206 of 469 Old 01-03-2005, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

Ok i was just contacted by the Product Manager for Plasma displays at Panasonic Canada. I will send him all the links and info that we have collected so far. I hope it will lead to something. I'll keep you guys posted.
post #207 of 469 Old 01-04-2005, 06:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Ok i was just contacted by the Product Manager for Plasma displays at Panasonic Canada. I will send him all the links and info that we have collected so far. I hope it will lead to something. I'll keep you guys posted.
Could you ask him if they plan on getting the Canadian pricing for their plasma displays in line with US pricing based on current exchange rates. ;)
post #208 of 469 Old 01-06-2005, 07:01 AM

Just thought I'd add myself to the list of people with the pwd7uy and the s-video problem. I don't have the dve calibration dvd yet but on certain dvd's it's very noticeable - particulary in the credits and any white text on a black background. My unit was made in November 2004 in Japan.

Incidentally, I hooked up my cable stb (scientific atlanta 3200) to the composite input and I don't notice the banding problem but the picture is way over contrasted (looks like some kind of overexposure). Even with contrast and brightness turned all the way to -30, the white areas (particularly the guide) are overexposed. I did not notice this at all with my xbox hooked up to the composite or s-video. I wonder if anyone else has seen this?
post #209 of 469 Old 01-06-2005, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by spa
Which problems, specifically?
The problems I have are the same ones detailed by JHANSON in the first post in this thread.
post #210 of 469 Old 01-06-2005, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mjlee
Incidentally, I hooked up my cable stb (scientific atlanta 3200) to the composite input and I don't notice the banding problem but the picture is way over contrasted (looks like some kind of overexposure). Even with contrast and brightness turned all the way to -30, the white areas (particularly the guide) are overexposed. I did not notice this at all with my xbox hooked up to the composite or s-video. I wonder if anyone else has seen this?
Be sure you're not using TWO BNC-RCA adapters on the BNC video loop through. These two jacks are self 75 ohm terminating. If you should have BOTH jacks in use with either cables or adapters, the terminator will be open circuit and give an overmodulated signal.

If you are feeding the X-Box to one BNC and the STB to the other, it will produce this effect even if one or the other source is powered off.

T. Wiz

Techniwizard posts as an Independent Servicer
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page