Pio at Costco - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 406 Old 12-31-2004, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is another thread for information on the pio offered by Costco. If we can keep the information to the actual set instead of any extrenous info, maybe this one won't get deleted. So tv info only plz...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 406 Old 01-01-2005, 06:21 AM

Thanks x-spyder-x

As I am a virgin poster maybe I made an error in judgement. So here goes. I live in Tucson AZ and will be driving north about 110 miles to some place to view something on Sunday at 10 AM. This something is all black and is thin enough to make my wife happy cuz it matches the decor of our family room. I will evaluate and maybe even sneak a picture of its lovely lines and other desireables.

If I am successful I will try to decode the rules of this forum, which I have enjoyed thoroughly, including the many quality posts by the Plasma Display moderator (we should not shoot the messenger), and post information that is not likely to be censored. I must disclose that I may not be successful with the last part due to vagueness of the rules.

The reason I can view this something is it is available at the Home version of the secret warehouse and 20 were available 12/31 when the store closed.

I plan to wait to purchase this something until we have determined which features are missing or added from the standard panel and until between 6 and 12 days after my birthday which is on Jan 11th. I likely will purchase online so I can receive white glove delivery and use the oops.

On the way I plan to keep track of my mileage (this is a business trip you know) and use my food stamp coupons to purchase grocery deli meat and cheese. Before we can go to the someplace we will be required to visit Nordstroms and Dillards but this is a necessary evil so I can perform the valuable research to give back to this forum just a small bit of what I have received.

Appeasement only ...

Now, please excuse me, nature is calling, I drink rocket fuel first thing every morning
post #3 of 406 Old 01-01-2005, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

I really can't understand what all the comotion on this set is. It seems the price is rather average and Costco usally has them custom built or rather stripped of inputs.

OK, so why *again* do we need a bigger one?
post #4 of 406 Old 01-01-2005, 06:58 AM

Thanks Lex,

Won't know the answer until the set is checked out. I am going to Phx anyway and want to go to the Costco Home store.

If we determine that it is stripped down then we may save some members the grief of returning a 50 inch beast to their local warehouse.

Happy NY
post #5 of 406 Old 01-01-2005, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lexa695
I really can't understand what all the comotion on this set is. It seems the price is rather average and Costco usally has them custom built or rather stripped of inputs.
Other than Costco's Returning Policy , I don't any reason to buy this set either.
post #6 of 406 Old 01-01-2005, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lexa695

We won't know whether the set is stripped down until someone actually sees it in the flesh and/or gets more information from Pioneer. We know it comes with stand, speakers, and media box. It may or may not be a good value depending on your perspective. Later this month, I think it may be a decent deal for Costco members....
post #7 of 406 Old 01-01-2005, 08:32 AM

Csig,

I believe you have hit the nail on the head. Loading up the wagon and heading to P town to do just that.
post #8 of 406 Old 01-01-2005, 09:09 AM

Thanks, music-dude. Please provide us with all the gory details.
post #9 of 406 Old 01-01-2005, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by csig
We won't know whether the set is stripped down until someone actually sees it in the flesh and/or gets more information from Pioneer. We know it comes with stand, speakers, and media box. It may or may not be a good value depending on your perspective. Later this month, I think it may be a decent deal for Costco members....
I just want to point out, I have been shopping for a plasmas for about a month now and I have narrowed it down to three brands. Panny, NEC and Pio. I have seen the Pio 5040 and 5045 on the net at a very competive price's when compared to this set at Costco. These sets have 2 component, 4 composite, 3 S video,2 I-Link, 2HDMI w/HDCP and a D-sub 15. This is the main reason I would consider the Pio over the other 2 brands. PQ on all are excellent, (Even though I have not seen an NEC, everyone who has one seems to like it.) If this set has all that, it's a very good deal considering you are buying it from Costco. But these are my reasons to consider buying the set, inputs may not be as critical for others.

post #10 of 406 Old 01-01-2005, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

What is the Costco Model number of the TV in this discussion?

JCPZero

Tips for Searching AVS:
Change showing threads from default of last 2 days to last 100 days (lower right section of page)
Use Search This Forum (Current) box (upper right section of page)
Type in model number, manufacturer name or other search term.
post #11 of 406 Old 01-01-2005, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

The model number is unclear, as Costco uses its own model numbers. But as the poster stated above he is going to get a look at it on Sunday, so we will know more by then.
post #12 of 406 Old 01-01-2005, 10:59 AM

lexa695,

I hear you. I am in similar position -- I have narrowed my selections down to Panasonic, Pioneer, and NEC as well. Bear in mind that the pricing on the set will change later this month for Costco members (under the rules of the forum, we're not allowed to discuss specifics. ) Moderator: I trust this post complies with the rules -- if not, I apologize and please edit accordingly.
post #13 of 406 Old 01-02-2005, 04:36 PM

I will give you the basics and then follow up when Costco Home gets back to me with a couple questions. I also took some photos that I will post later.

The box weighs 199 lbs. and contains:

PDP-5004 Panel (appears that the C stands for Costco since there is no C in the Pioneer material - box or back of panel)

PDK-528-LR speakers
PDP-TS07 Stand

So what is missing? Not just an input or two but the entire Media Receiver! I say missing because the web site says "Vertical or horizontal mount media receiver" in the description.

The GM at Costco Home (who is a super guy) and I were hunting for the media receiver for about 15 minutes until finally he opened the box of an unopened unit and there is none. My wife says, look, there is an empty box filling a space in the main box about the size of the media receiver. Then way off to the side of the Electronics area we find a second PDP-5004 on display where we have access to the back of the panel and alas no media receiver.

I took several photos of the front, back (mostly) etc and it looks just like the photo on the Costco web site. It is attractive and the low gloss black does not reflect much which I like. They also had a nice picture on a 55 inch Viewsonic #VPW5500 and it was high gloss black bezel, but I digress.

Back of panel video inputs are one hdmi, one component, and one s-video. They are driving the panel using the component input, fyi. There may be more inputs and will report more details after I have the photos developed (yes, I know I should have a digital camera by now). They were not using the speakers in either of the set ups.

I liked the picture which had a DVD and HD via Dish Network respectively. Realize this does not mean much.

The Costco GM immediately emailed the buyer in Seattle asking him where the media receiver is and to give him feedback on the event which is occurring later this month.

Questions anyone?

BTW, it was a great road trip with very little traffic. I was expecting some issues so was not too surprised or dissappointed. The people who will be disappointed will be the ones who order this online and open the box to find no media receiver.

Rick

PS: Misc thoughts are that "Buyers Assurance" on Amex or possibly a similiar program on VISA extends warranty one year. Monitor Outlet is an authorized Pioneer etailer (along with 4 others for 2004) and they also offer the Phillips Priority Service Plan for the PDP-5045
post #14 of 406 Old 01-02-2005, 04:46 PM

there is no media reciever with this unit...
post #15 of 406 Old 01-02-2005, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

This sounds like a PDP-504CMX commerical display with an HDMI / component / S-video card installed.

I found the following on Google (I have added emphasis where appropriate):

Quote:
LONG BEACH, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dec. 20, 2004--Pioneer Electronics (USA) Inc. announced today the expansion of its family of commercial-use plasma displays, with the PDP-424MV enhanced definition plasma display. This new plasma joins the high definition PureVision PDP-614MX (61"), PDP-504CMX (50") and PDP-434CMX (43") plasmas, offering commercial users another option for their digital signage, boardroom and other business applications

Pioneer currently offers two of its own expansion cards for its plasmas. The PDA-5003 and PDA-5004 optional video cards provide composite, s-video and component terminals for vivid, vibrant images. The PDA-5003 is equipped with stable BNC terminals, and supports an analog RGB signal through its component terminals. The PDA-5004 is equipped with RCA terminals, for connectivity with many external devices.
No mention of an HDMI port with the PDA-5004 video card, however. Perhaps there is something new now available...

Anyway, if indeed this is a 504CMX with an expansion board put in, does that imply there is no TV tuner (NTSC / ATSC) ? If you're going to use this display as a monitor for a STB and DVD player, that should be okay, but you may want to ask if having a built-in SD and HD tuner is important to you.

Ross
post #16 of 406 Old 01-02-2005, 05:14 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally posted by jaybrubin
there is no media reciever with this unit...
Is that a statement or a question?

BTW, music_dude, where is the Costco Home store located (address)? I'm in Phx but I haven't been to that location yet.

Thanks,

Drivie

Panasonic 50PHD8UK
Ascend CMT-340s & HTM-200s
PS3
HK AVR-635
APC H15 Power Conditioner
SA 8300HD (Cox)
Salamander Triple 20
post #17 of 406 Old 01-02-2005, 05:40 PM

Drivie,

Costco Home is located at Elliot Rd and Priest and their phone number is 480-753-2400. I was generally impressed with the electronics staff and they were quite helpful. The asst general manager's name is Rick, fyi. I believe the address is 1345 W. Elliot Rd. I say believe since my navigation system did bring me close but not exactly to the correct address.

Ross,

Thanks for your input on some of the missing features on the PDP-5004 with no media receiver. Your business wire quote mentions that the PDP-424MV is enhanced definition, not high definition so it would not have an hdmi, is that correct?

I am thinking that PDP-5045 with media receiver is a good option for using with High Definition Tivo (Hughes 10-250), OTA antennae, hdmi upconverting dvd like Panasonic S97 and a good receiver. I am buying most everything new and have the dough but am the type who likes to buy at the knee of the curve (engineer lingo). I am assuming that the cable card slot on the 5045 will be useful some time in the next couple years if I want to use cable
post #18 of 406 Old 01-02-2005, 05:54 PM

Liked: 13
Music_dude,

Thanks for the info. I may go have a look. Kinda disappointing that there are not more inputs. Please let us know if there really is a media receiver with this unit...although it seems like most units with a media receiver don't have any inputs on the back of the panel aside from DVI and a proprietary input for audio (for the most part). So that doesn't bode well.

One other note regarding the "event". Just a thought but in the past, I have purchased something at Costco and then and "event" or drop occurred and I simply returned with my receipt and was given a refund for the difference. May be worth a try if you don't wish to wait.

Drivie

Panasonic 50PHD8UK
Ascend CMT-340s & HTM-200s
PS3
HK AVR-635
APC H15 Power Conditioner
SA 8300HD (Cox)
Salamander Triple 20
post #19 of 406 Old 01-02-2005, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Music Dude,

Please feel free to use engineer lingo; as the saying goes, I are one.

...I don't know if its a rule that ED displays can't have HDMI, but by the same token I can't figure out why an ED display would *need* HDMI (some could say the same thing with HD displays, too since HDMI can handle colour depths and interlaced resolutions well in excess of even HD material -- even 1080p!).

I have the 1110HD, which is the Elite version of last year's 5040, which is half a generation before the 5045. I don't have a cable card slot, but I'm not missing it.

You mentioned OTA antennae. I have no experience with the NTSC tuner in my 1110HD as all my SD (as well as HD) comes in via an external cable box (Scientific Atlanta 3250HD). I have found the calbe NTSC tuner in the 1110HD to be not so hot, however. This is not an issue for me since I don't use it (everything is handled by the 3250HD).

Also, If the Huges 10-250 has a DVI out, you have the option of using it to feed one of the HDMI inputs on the 5045 (with my 3250HD I'm using the DVI out fed into HDMI). You can buy a DVI -> HDMI converter for $30 in the 'States (I got one for $40 Canadian at the local Best Buy).

Ross
post #20 of 406 Old 01-02-2005, 06:11 PM

music_dude,

Thanks for the additional information on this unit. As I suspected, it sounds like a 504CMX with some additions.... Looking forward to hearing whatever information you get about the "missing" media box from the Costco manager. Thanks again and please keep us posted!
post #21 of 406 Old 01-02-2005, 06:30 PM

Thanks Ross,

I have read many of your posts and figured you were a tech dude. The Hughes 10-250 is the first sat box with hdmi output but I read somewhere that the component is better and it also has optical out for dolby digital 5.1.

I think both Drivie and csig are correct. There likely will be no media receiver and the panel is a modified 504CMX with hdmi input and a stand and speakers. Just my best guess.

I have no idea whether I would use the cable card slot. I have never considered purchasing equipment that has so many "gotchas" as this high def HT gear. It seems like the devil is in the details and there are way too many of them. It also seems like there should be a place on this forum where members who have successfully put together systems that have very few problems post the exact configuration with gear that has been released in the last year or so. I guess there are just too many options.
post #22 of 406 Old 01-02-2005, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thx for the update, keep us posted on the media reciever. Looking forward to those pics when you get em developed.
post #23 of 406 Old 01-03-2005, 06:15 AM
AVS Special Member

First off, thanks Music Dude. It was great of you to do so much work on this product. Secondly, I'm not surprised one bit by this. I'm sure Costco ordered the panel just as it is being described, no media box and all. I have yet to see a TV at Costco that matches the ones available at a CC or BB.

post #24 of 406 Old 01-03-2005, 07:33 AM

csig,
Thanks for the info.

Where are the paths our heroes paved?
post #25 of 406 Old 01-03-2005, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Music dude,

I managed to get my sytstem rockin' out of the box by coughing up a big wad o' cash for the fine folks at Pioneer. In other words, with the exception of the HD STB and speakers, I bought pretty much Pio's late 2003 flagship components (1110HD, 59Avi DVD and 55Txi receiver -- although the 59Txi was the true 'flagship' of the Pio receivers, but that would have been overkill).

Here's how they suckered -- I mean, convinced me to buy the three items as a unit. The 1110HD has an HDMI input, so I need an HDMI player -- hence the 59Avi. The 59Avi has an iLink audio output, so I need an iLink receiver -- hence the 55Txi. The one missing link is HDMI switching on the receiver, but I can live without that, and I kinda like pressing several remote buttons to get Frodo up on the screen.

The calbe HD STB was the odd-man-out; I basically had to get whatever my local cable company (Rogers) was providing. Thus the Scientific Atlanta 3250HD was less of a choice as much as a necessity. Not a bad box, however.

Ross
post #26 of 406 Old 01-03-2005, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ross in Toronto
Music dude,

Here's how they suckered -- I mean, convinced me to buy the three items as a unit. The 1110HD has an HDMI input, so I need an HDMI player -- hence the 59Avi. The 59Avi has an iLink audio output, so I need an iLink receiver -- hence the 55Txi. The one missing link is HDMI switching on the receiver, but I can live without that, and I kinda like pressing several remote buttons to get Frodo up on the screen.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't HDMI on a DVD player sort of a waste? As far as I know, no DVD's are recorded in HD and I though Samsung was the only brand that did the upconversion.

post #27 of 406 Old 01-03-2005, 06:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Digital Interface is the key here. So in theory it is Digital to Digital. The DVDs that you watch are Digital.

Dave

"Appeasment only makes the Aggressor more Aggressive"
post #28 of 406 Old 01-03-2005, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 46
the pio does the upconversion also and the samsung is not the only one to do this.
v inc
pioneer
samsung
lg
and more.
post #29 of 406 Old 01-03-2005, 07:50 PM

Thanks Ross,

Yes, just like the Soprano's the hdmi and the iLink they "suck you right in" to the Pioneer Elite line. I have thought several times "just give them the money and have it all over". And there is no question the 1110HD is an awesome picture and I would say in the long run you did a great job with your selection. I guess the panel is kind of like the computer cpu, buy the best you can afford so it will last for 4 to 5 years before tech forces an upgrade.
But to add to Dave's answer to lexa695's question; hdmi upconverts from new Panasonic S97 dvd which has the lf2310 faroudja chip set, same as the Denon 3910. Seems like a good player but there are some "macroblocking" issues. Also, there is a Zenith 318 I believe that upconverts but I do not know via which connection type, i.e. component, etc. I have toyed with the idea of using the Panasonic SA-XR70S digital receiver which has an 1.1 hdmi input (video and audio) to receive the Panny S97 dvd input and outputs a 1.0 hdmi (video only) to the panel or media receiver via hdmi or hdmi/dvi cable. I am reluctant at this point to throw a lot of dough at a dvd player since HD dvd may be soon? I am also working on a project to do audio restoration on my 250 33 rpm vinyl's and would like to consider dvd audio as much for space considerations as music quality (this would be about 50 audio dvd's instead of 25o cd's and 400 disc dvd's at a reasonable price should be coming within the next couple years).

Will let you know what I hear back from Costco Home concerning the media receiver. I expect the media receiver is mia permanently. I guess at a reasonable price this could be a 504 with an HDMI input which I do not believe is available any where else until Aurora comes out with the card they are waiting for hdmi certification on.

The wife dug Nordstrom and I needed to get out of Dodge. Don't tell her but I did not mind the shopping too much either.

Later guys,

Music_Dude
post #30 of 406 Old 01-04-2005, 10:29 AM

has anyone seen this unit with analog RGB computer input?
Is there much overscan?

[No Coupon Talk- Please re-read AVSForum Policy/Rules]
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page