New Vizio P42HD Model "e" Discussion - NO PRICING/COUPON TALK ALLOWED - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1829 Old 01-07-2005, 07:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This just begs the question (assuming everybody is so happy with the units they have) - why does anyone buy a plasma unit that is more expensive? I even have myself doubting whether or not the picture or features I might get on mine are worth the $1300 more in the end...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1829 Old 01-07-2005, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by teutonictrio
This just begs the question (assuming everybody is so happy with the units they have) - why does anyone buy a plasma unit that is more expensive? I even have myself doubting whether or not the picture or features I might get on mine are worth the $1300 more in the end...
I just think the market is getting more and more competitive... Panny plasmas have ruled from Japan, then LG (Korea) has come on strong and now the Chinese are becoming low-cost power players.

I work in the Semiconductor industry and the game is very similar... at first USA ruled, then Japan and now China is just coming on very very strong being very competitive in quality and because of the extremely low labor costs... China products are much cheaper at similar quality to competitors. Spent 2 weeks in China/Taiwan this year visting several manufacturing sites and they have come up the learning curve very fast.

Essentially, major electronic manufacturers are taking advantage of the low labor market in China. They use China as foundry facilities and essentially China reaps great benefits for they are fed the technology by hand and come up the learning curve quickly.

It will simply take awile for consumers to become convinced that these products are not only economical but of decent quality. I can remember when everyone believed Samsung products had to be horrible build quality because they were so much cheaper than other familiar brands. Now look at where Samsung is!
post #93 of 1829 Old 01-08-2005, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tangerineink
I agree with your impressions "bradesp". But my Costco did not have the 30" Vizio LCD. Did you get a model number? The 30"er I found on the web only has a 350:1 contrast.
It was model #: L30 WGU

Here's the link:

[edit: no direct internet linking please]

Be aware that Vizio took the cheap way out and made this a 15 x 9 ratio, NOT 16 x 9. I kept looking at the display as compared to the others and it did look ever so slightly less wide. I will say though the HD feed looked spectacular and try as I might, I could discern no apparent image distortion as a result of the slightly less width. I no there had to be some, I just didn't perceive it with my eyes.
post #94 of 1829 Old 01-08-2005, 07:22 AM

StuartV and Ron Jones,

Thanks for the comments regarding my zoom/stretch problem. You both confirmed a few of my suspicions.

Further exerimentation with my Pace STB seems to show that a potential alternative/compromise is having the STB set to output passthru & 4:3, which is counterintuitive to me. At that setting the Vizio stretches the SD content. I was afraid I'd have problems on the native widescreen content (HDNet, HBOHD, ESPNHD) with the box set to 4:3 , but, at least via initial observation, they look OK.

I'm still not completely satified with the solution. The SD channels seem to blow up (scrambled image and/or lose picture) on me very frequently in passthru mode. Those same channels look ok on the s-video output to the TV from the STB, and they looked ok at 720p output (just with the side bars). So I'm not sure if it's a problem with the Vizio's scaling or maybe the STB is just sending garbage on passthru for SD.

I may just give up and teach my wife to switch over to the s-video feed for the SD channels. I was cringing when she or the kids turned on an SD channel and we had sidebars for long periods of time.

Thanks to all for the valuable info on this TV.

Luke
post #95 of 1829 Old 01-08-2005, 07:51 AM

Luke beyond your questions regarding the zoom modes (it will be great, someday, when all content is 16:1 and NO black bars to contend with), what are your feelings about your Vizio's overall quality/picture quality?
post #96 of 1829 Old 01-08-2005, 11:26 AM

Went to Costco this am to play with the Vizio. Able to get the remote and adjusted the settings per recommended settings on the board. I even made a point of rotating the unit away from the door opening due to reflective light (and was yelled at for it). As much as I would like to buy this unit, I was personally not impressed with the sharpness of the PQ. It just looked fuzzier and washed out when compared side by side with a Pioneer 43 HD at all angles and distances. The Pioneer (PMP 4340?) just blew it away, (but was more expensive). Appeared close in PQ to Panny 42 ED when about 6' away, and a little sharper than the Panny at 15'. Appeared better than the Akai ED and a JVC HD 42 in all aspects, but not significantly so. Was highly impressed by the Sharp LCD 37, other than it seems "small" compared to all the big screens around it.

Like any TV purchase, spend as much time as you can looking at this and decide if it meets your eye's quality control before plunking down your hard cash.
post #97 of 1829 Old 01-08-2005, 11:47 AM

I joined Costco for the sole purpose of buying this TV, but I'm with you: It just didn't look all that great once I stood there and studied the PQ. I'm going to pass, I think.
post #98 of 1829 Old 01-08-2005, 12:16 PM

I went today to give this a look. I came away disappointed because the Waltham, MA didn't have it on display. I asked and they said they'd put it up on the 17th, they have them in the back room.

Anyway, I looked at the rest of them and the Pioneer blew away the Panny. The Panny probably blue away the Akai by as much. It was all HD content and at the store's settings (I know it means nothing). That said, the Panny and the Pioneer were more expensive -- the Panny by 25% and the Pioneer by 33%. I thought about it a fair amount and while I still have to see the Vizio, it would have to be significantly terrible for me not to make the move.

I understand that most people in this forum have very discerning eyes and the difference really is noticable. For me, it will be a jump from a 27" TV that's 10+ years old. For others it's going to go into their bedroom. I'm not expecting it to be the very best on the market at this price, but when it's fairly close in quality (and a big jump up from what you have), the wallet is going to be my deciding factor.
post #99 of 1829 Old 01-08-2005, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bobaphx
Luke beyond your questions regarding the zoom modes (it will be great, someday, when all content is 19:1 and NO black bars to contend with), what are your feelings about your Vizio's overall quality/picture quality?
bobaphx,

In answer to your question, I'm very impressed with the picture quality of the Vizio and would not trade this thing for an ED set at the same price. The HD channels I get from TW Cable (ESPN, HBO, HDNet, etc.) look absolutely great. I'm coming from a 7 year old analog set, and I'll admit I don't have a videophile's eyes to see some of the Vizio's flaws. I'd like to have a few more picture manipulation settings in the set (see my zoom/stretch questions), but I expected this set to have some limitations for the price.

I bought mine from Costco and was just back there this week to get a peek at an 'e' model. I can see why people are not impressed with the picture in the store. My uninformed opinion is that the Costco feed they are sending to the sets is crap. It may just be 480p since all the sets in the store show the same thing. The store PQ I saw was roughly as good as my set looks with a 480i DVD input via component, which is decent, but not impressive and not HD by any means.

If anyone came to my house and watched HDNet on my set (with only minor color adjustments similar to Ron Jones' post of a while ago) they would be blown away by this thing. It would be nice if Costco carried an upconverting DVD which they could hook up to the Vizio (or maybe gave it a cable or sat HD feed), as I think that would give it a chance to shine.

For the $$ I spent I'm very happy with the Vizio. HTH.

Luke
post #100 of 1829 Old 01-08-2005, 12:43 PM

I went to the Costco in Nashua, NH this morning to check out the Vizio ("e" version). I couldn't get the remote so I have no idea how it was set. The Panasonic and the Vizio were right next to each other so it was was easy to compare them. To be honest I couldn't see whole lot of difference in PQ between the Panny and the Vizio. The Vizio seemed to have the brightness cranked way too high but I couldn't confirm that suspicion. Both the Vizio and the Panny looked much better than the Akai. They also had a Pioneer PDP-4312 a little further down the aisle so it was harder to make a direct comparison. Supposedly on the ED and HD sets were being fed 1080i but I can't say for sure. I guess I am still on the fence on this but it is hard to pass based on the price.

Keith
post #101 of 1829 Old 01-08-2005, 01:18 PM

I cant believe that people are coming on here and saying they are going to pass on this set because the picture quality compared to a Pioneer (at twice the price) looks better. Why would you even compare the 2? Everyone is missing the point here. Plain and simple, when this TV is in your home you will not have a Panny or Pio next to it to compare it to. This TV is HANDS DOWN the best picture quality 42" HD plasma for the money!! Key words "for the money"!!

I would not expect it to look as good as a Plasma that costs twice as much. Most people that could afford a plasma twice the price would not be looking at the Vizio anyways! BUT, with price in mind it sure does give the big boys a run for their money!!

If you are looking to buy a great looking plasma for not a lot of cash, this is the one for you. I went from a 40" Sony XBR CRT to this TV and am extremely happy with my purchase!!

I am sorry, but anybody that is that picky about picture quality should not be looking to spend so little on a plasma then. I am no expert, but the PQ on my Vizio has been more than satisfying for me and everyone that has been over to see it.
post #102 of 1829 Old 01-08-2005, 01:31 PM

That's a great point, Dave - particularly how nobody will have this set sitting right next to another (better) set to compare. I do disagree with the comment that those who can afford a plasma at twice the price aren't going to look at the Vizio because I have one almost twice the price and am definitely considering it, weighing the price option, as to whether or not the extra $$ is worth it. I'm sure there are others too.
post #103 of 1829 Old 01-08-2005, 01:38 PM

I'm just currious, has anyone had the oportunity to compare the Visio side by side with the Dell W4200HD? I was really sold on the Dell's features for the money (dual ATSC tuners built in) but with all the problems that are being reported in the W4200HD thread I'm starting to look at my other options. Like many of you, I'm just looking for the most bang for the buck. I'm also currious to know if anyone has got the TiVo "peanut" remote to work with the Visio (for power and volume)?

Kevin (aka Stagemaster)
post #104 of 1829 Old 01-08-2005, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by teutonictrio
That's a great point, Dave - particularly how nobody will have this set sitting right next to another (better) set to compare. I do disagree with the comment that those who can afford a plasma at twice the price aren't going to look at the Vizio because I have one almost twice the price and am definitely considering it, weighing the price option, as to whether or not the extra $$ is worth it. I'm sure there are others too.
My only piont is that if the Pioneer and the Vizio were the same price, what would be the most logical choice? Obviously the Pioneer would. So if you go into a store looking to buy a new Plasma and you have 5k to spend why would you even consider the Visio? Its obviously not going to look as nice and probably has less features, but what do you ecpect with a plasma that is half the price? Thats what I was trying to say. Why even consider the 2 togather when looking to purchase?
post #105 of 1829 Old 01-08-2005, 02:20 PM

My point is still: Make your own own comparison, draw your own conclusions.

When I compared them today at Costco all of the sets were connected via component hookups, running an HD source signal. To my eye, the Pioneer was clearly superior, and not "2x's" the cost, but "1.25" times.

I am a rank amateur, not a pro, and I'm not trying to dissuade anyone, nor make anyone feel bad about purchasing or good about not purchasing the Vizio.
post #106 of 1829 Old 01-08-2005, 02:39 PM

I've had the P42HD non "e" model for the last month and just exchanged for the "e" version today at the store in everett, MA. Noticed another person buying at the same time...

For one thing, when my wife and I bought the non "e" version, the costco we were at(nashua, nh) had the non "e" display right next to the panny ED. Long story short, we almost didn't buy the vizio because the Panasonic looked much more vibrant. You could definitely see the larger pixels, but the panny had a much better contrast ratio. I even got the remote for the vizio at the time and was not able to make it as good as the panny.

Today at the everett store, the "e" version was set up next to the Panny. Granted I didn't adjust either set this time, but the vizio actually looked more vibrant than the panny by a little bit. My wife agreed also.

Now with the "e" version setup at home, I'm convinced this TV looks better than the previous P42HD we had. The blacks look blacker and the colors look much more true and vibrant.

One thing I should mention is that we had taken the original P42HD home in our SUV with the box on its side. I'm aware this is not recommended but I never heard why. This time, we rented a home depot van to carry it in the correct upright orientation. Is it possible that carrying a plasma on it's side will result in reduced contrast or otherwise compromised picture?

I'm glad I upgraded to the "e" because the picture looks better and we'll be saving some $$$ also.
post #107 of 1829 Old 01-08-2005, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Nelson
I cant believe that people are coming on here and saying they are going to pass on this set because the picture quality compared to a Pioneer (at twice the price) looks better. Why would you even compare the 2? Everyone is missing the point here.
Dave,

Maybe I am missing the point, but the Vizio "e" and the ED Panny we're nearly exactly the same in price... so the comparison is both fair and the conclusion that for some (me included) that the Panny looked better is very relevant. Where are you getting the impression that the Panny is twice the cost of the Vizio? No specific numbers, please, but I can tell you they're almost idential in price.
post #108 of 1829 Old 01-08-2005, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bradesp
Dave,

Maybe I am missing the point, but the Vizio "e" and the ED Panny we're nearly exactly the same in price... so the comparison is both fair and the conclusion that for some (me included) that the Panny looked better is very relevant. Where are you getting the impression that the Panny is twice the cost of the Vizio? No specific numbers, please, but I can tell you they're almost idential in price.
Right, but with the Panny and Vizio, you're comparing an ED with an HD set. Really apples and oranges if you ask me...
post #109 of 1829 Old 01-08-2005, 03:08 PM

I have heard on both this thread and the previous thread that the ED displays 480i/480p better then the HD. Will the purchase of an upconverting DVD player work with this Visio to improve the pq of DVD movies? Is the purchase worth it? I have a progressive scan panasonic DVD player (480i/480p).

thanks in advance

i strive to figure out what the heck i am doing
post #110 of 1829 Old 01-08-2005, 03:15 PM

Quote:

I am sorry, but anybody that is that picky about picture quality should not be looking to spend so little on a plasma then. I am no expert, but the PQ on my Vizio has been more than satisfying for me and everyone that has been over to see it.
I'm glad you are happy with your purchase. But the point for me is that yes, I am dying to get a plasma, but I'm also aware that prices are going to keep dropping. It's a sign of things to come, in my opinion. And with football season all but over, my having a plasma set isn't all that urgent. I have DirecTivo and can't get local channels OTA, so I'm sort of hosed for HDTV right now. And my cable provider, which does offer HDTV local channels, doesn't offer a dual-tuner DVR yet (it's coming soon, they say), so that's not an appealing option for the time being.

Like most other people interested in the Vizio, I suspect, I have a spending cap when it comes to buying an HDTV. That's very important to me. But I have a feeling that within a few months, we will see several sets at that price point and have a few quality models to choose from. Plus, I'm pretty picky on how my set will handle the stretching of SD material. From what I can tell, the Vizio doesn't have all that many options for that. Combined with the fact that the picture didn't impress me in the store, and .... meh ... To be honest, I may purchase an LCD -- either projection or flat -- if those prices drop. I love the pictures on those.

Just my two cents.
post #111 of 1829 Old 01-08-2005, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mwofsd
I have heard on both this thread and the previous thread that the ED displays 480i/480p better then the HD. Will the purchase of an upconverting DVD player work with this Visio to improve the pq of DVD movies? Is the purchase worth it? I have a progressive scan panasonic DVD player (480i/480p).

thanks in advance
I use a Samsung DVD-HD841 and have found that upsampling to 768p via DVI into my Vizio works very well. The difference between 480p and 768p, in this context, is significant.

Edit to add..........I think those who have seen poor images on Vizio P42HD and HDe sets have seen sets with set-up issues or the don't want the image to look as good as say a panny edtv.

Thanks,
Twilligers
post #112 of 1829 Old 01-08-2005, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Twilligers

Edit to add..........I think those who have seen poor images on Vizio P42HD and HDe sets have seen sets with set-up issues or the don't want the image to look as good as say a panny edtv.
The former is very possible. Like I said, the Vizio looked almost overtly worse than the set next to it. It was weird. But I really don't think that people are going to pretend it looks worse than "say a panny edtv." Seriously. I just want to find the best TV for the buck. Period.
post #113 of 1829 Old 01-08-2005, 05:36 PM

I just went to the San Leandro Costco, where they had the Panasonic ED and the Vizio HDe set up next to each other, both with a HD feed. The color wasn't quite perfect on the Vizio, a little too much red tone on the people, but I'm sure that could be adjusted. The definition was clearly sharper on the Vizio, especially if you were standing close. When they had text mixed in with action shots I found it particularly noticeable. They had a Pioneer HD as well that was possibly a touch nicer picture, but not enough to justify the extra $1000. They had quite a bit of stock and I'm planning on going back next week and buying one.
post #114 of 1829 Old 01-08-2005, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hperry
Right, but with the Panny and Vizio, you're comparing an ED with an HD set. Really apples and oranges if you ask me...
Let's agree to disagree. To me, HD vs ED is irrelevent. What matters is the viewing experience, period. If my subjective viewing experience is superior with a piece of equipment that is technically inferior with respect to it's theoretical display capabilities when compared to another similar piece of equipment, then the theoretical becomes secondary and the practical becomes primary.

Yes, in THEORY a qualidy HD display SHOULD yield better results, but if it doesn't, then it doesn't. I'm in no way impuning the opinions of those who seen the "e" and like it, for them it's the right decision.

One last point. Most LCD displays have a vastly supperior THEORETICAL display resoluion when compared to Plasmas and yet, I have yet to see an LCD display that I prefered over a plasma. To me the quality and experience of watching a plasma display is supperior to an lCD. Now that is likely to change this year, but my point is that one could argue comparing LCD's and Plasma's is also apples and oranages. I would only agree if we're comparing disparate screen sizes (32" vs 42"). But if we are comparing similar screen sizes than as far as I'm concered its apples vs apples provided that the context is the same. The context is simple. Take everything I'm likely to view on this display (SD, HD, PC, DVD, Blu-Ray,etc.) and compare two different displays. Which do I like better? For me it's as simple as that.

YMMV
post #115 of 1829 Old 01-08-2005, 06:05 PM

I also had the P42HD model and to day I went and got the "e". I took it out of the box and used my setup DVD's to tune it right. The settings for the "e" were very different than I had on the P42HD. IMO the blacks are definitely better on the "e". True this could all be in my head, who knows.

But, I will still say this is a "Best Buy". If you are going to compare HD to HD plasmas this is a no brainer for the price.

My friend and I did a side by side in my home with the Panny ED they were both set up with Avia DVDs and the Panny lost. The Panny was his, he was so impressed that the Panny back to BB and he bought a Vizio.
post #116 of 1829 Old 01-08-2005, 06:28 PM

Note to Bradesp:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I cant believe that people are coming on here and saying they are going to pass on this set because the picture quality compared to a Pioneer (at twice the price) looks better. Why would you even compare the 2? Everyone is missing the point here.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dave,

( Note: The discussion and comparison was between the Vizio and a Pioneer... not a Panny )
post #117 of 1829 Old 01-08-2005, 06:43 PM

I just got a P42HDe at Costco in Bklyn today.

I think mine is defective. Theres a faint purplish zone in the top 1" of the screen, especially when something grey is onscreen. This only occurs through one of the component inputs. Actually, it appears to be fading in the 3 hours the TV has been on.

Dumb question: What is the difference between the two component inputs?? One is labelled YPbPr and the other YCbCr.

Strangely enough, my cable box (1080i-output HD DVR from TWC) only works when connected to one of the Component inputs. When it's connected to the other, I just see gibberish on screen.

Do I have a bad unit?

Compared to my KV-40XBR800 this unit has an inferior picture, IMO. I'm sad I sold it. But I needed the floorspace.

Finally, to get what I thought was a natural-looking picture, I had to turn the brightness, color, sharpness and contrast WAY down (to the mid-30's). Then I had to create a custom color balance and turn down the red channel even more.

Also, my unit is black with a dark grey bezel, even though the display unit in Brklyn was silver and the salesperson insisted that the one I bought would be silver too.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

JT
post #118 of 1829 Old 01-08-2005, 06:54 PM

YCbCr is for 480i/480p. YPbPr takes those plus 720p and 1080i.
post #119 of 1829 Old 01-08-2005, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by tingj
Dumb question: What is the difference between the two component inputs?? One is labelled YPbPr and the other YCbCr.

Strangely enough, my cable box (1080i-output HD DVR from TWC) only works when connected to one of the Component inputs. When it's connected to the other, I just see gibberish on screen.
My guess is, and you could confirm this with the manual, that the input is limited to 480i or 480p (for a DVD player) and won't take a 1080i signal.

Labelling of component inputs is a little misguided sometimes. There is a slight difference however.

http://www.e-paranoids.com/y/yc/ycbcr.html
post #120 of 1829 Old 01-08-2005, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bradesp
Dave,

Quote:
Originally posted by bobaphx
Note to Bradesp:

( Note: The discussion and comparison was between the Vizio and a Pioneer... not a Panny )
Thanks for clearing that up for me! :)
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page