Sharp LC-37GD6U - HDMI video but no sound - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-21-2005, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have tried connecting my set via HDMI to both my HR10-250 DirecTV DVR, and my upscanning DVD player (an LG DVB418). In both cases, I get a fine picture, but no sound from the TV's speakers.

I have tried every audio setting on both the TV and the source equipment, but still no sound.

I am aware of the HDMI issues with the DirecTV HR10-250, but both of my source components (the HR10-250 and the DVD) seem to work fine via HDMI to my nephew's Mitsubishi DLP, so I think it's an issue with the Sharp.

I called their tech support, and they set me up with a dispatcher to get service. He then told me that Sharp is getting a significant number of calls regarding HDMI video/no sound, and is currently researching the issue. He took down all my information (my equipment, what I had tried, etc.) and promised someone would get back with me.

I'm posting this because I have read a lot online about the Sharp sets, and haven't seen much at all in the way of HDMI video/no sound problems with the Aquos sets.

Is anyone else having this problem, or am I just getting the run-around from Sharp?

Thanks for any info or help anyone can provide.

PLM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-21-2005, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 256
I just tried this with a Sharp LC-45 from the HD Tivo

a message popped up that the audio signal was incompatible: I went into the HD Tivo audio setting menu and changed its mode;

the audio now works fine through the HDMI connector

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #3 of 9 Old 02-21-2005, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by markrubin
I just tried this with a Sharp LC-45 from the HD Tivo

a message popped up that the audio signal was incompatible: I went into the HD Tivo audio setting menu and changed its mode;

the audio now works fine through the HDMI connector
Thanks for your reply.

I think I have already tried what you are describing. I assume you're talking about the Tivo's audio setting that lets you choose whether to send Dolby 5.1 (when available) or whether to always use 2-channel stereo? If so, I have tried these settings both ways, on multiple source material going through the Sharp, and I still get no sound. I've also tried all possible sound choices on my DVD player, and still get no sound via the Sharp's HDMI port.

BTW, I'm not sure why the Sharp would care whether the incoming audio signal over HDMI was 2-channel or multi-channnel sound. The built-in sound hardware in the Sharp obviously is only 2-channel stereo, but I believe it needs to recognize and accept multi-channel formats, or else the optical output port would not be able to pass multi-channnel input on to the output port. However, I could certainly be misinformed or confused about this. Perhaps the optical output is only there to pass multi-channel sound received via the built-in tuner on the set, and not to pass through any multi-channel sound received via the HDMI circuitry. My owners' manual for the set is not at all helpful when trying to learn the answers to such questions.

Thanks again for your comments.

PLM
post #4 of 9 Old 02-21-2005, 01:14 PM

TJCatcher-

Be sure to post the resolution of this issue. I have the same LC37GD6U coming in a few days.

TA
post #5 of 9 Old 03-02-2005, 11:47 AM

I just received a new LC-32GD6U and observe the same "incompatible audio format" error on the Sharp when I have my HR10-250 set to output Dolby Digital. In my case I need the Dolby Digital because I feed my Dolby Digital AV receiver and do not use the Sharp's sound capability. So the error message is a nuisance by not a killer.

Does anyone know what audio formats the Sharp will work with?

Bill
post #6 of 9 Old 03-07-2005, 06:56 PM

Hi.

I just bought the Sharp LC-26GA5U and the Samsung HD DVD-941 and am getting an intermittent popping sound/second long audio dropouts from TV speakers. This is only via the HDMI connection, I tried using the DVI to HDMI cable but could not get an image. I exchanged the DVD player but replacement unit did the same thing. Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

Unfortunately, my roommate threw out the box for the TV & I have to mail in the rebate coupon soon so I have to find a solution soon.

thks,

Ju
post #7 of 9 Old 03-08-2005, 09:11 AM

I own a Sharp 37GD4. I don't have a reason to use the HDMI interface at the moment, but my installer reported recently that some of his clients who need HDMI for their DirectTv TyVo have had this problem. He reported it to Sharp and they must still be working on a solution. If others have had the problem it would be good to report it to Sharp and here. I have a suspicion that HDMI is still a work in progress in terms of compatiability. Further I suspect that manufacturers of monitors and manufacturers of various boxes outputting HDMI wind up doing a certain amount of finger pointing. The problem is yours. No! The problem is yours.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-08-2005, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Malachy
I own a Sharp 37GD4. I don't have a reason to use the HDMI interface at the moment, but my installer reported recently that some of his clients who need HDMI for their DirectTv TyVo have had this problem. He reported it to Sharp and they must still be working on a solution. If others have had the problem it would be good to report it to Sharp and here. I have a suspicion that HDMI is still a work in progress in terms of compatiability. Further I suspect that manufacturers of monitors and manufacturers of various boxes outputting HDMI wind up doing a certain amount of finger pointing. The problem is yours. No! The problem is yours.
Thanks for posting this info. I am still waiting to hear from Sharp (nothing yet).

In the meantime, I am now the proud owner of a Pioneer VSX-54TXi AV Receiver, and am feeding digital audio from the HD Tivo to the receiver, with spectacular results. I can use the HDMI for video to the television, so the HDMI audio problem is really a non-issue for me now, as well. Nonetheless, I think Sharp should address the problem, given the price level of these sets.

PLM
post #9 of 9 Old 03-14-2005, 09:24 PM

I have had a LC-37GD6U now for a little over a week. I do not have a HD Tivo, but do have a upconverting DVD player (Toshiba SD-V592) and through the HDMI cable I can get both video and audio. I also get the incompatible audio message as previously stated, but it goes away in a few seconds.

Maybe your HDMI port is bad since it seems more than one component will not work.

BTW, according to the manual for the Toshiba player when the audio is set to 5.1 and use HDMI, there should be no sound. Only when set to PCM (2 channel) there should be sound. Mine works anyway:)

Hopefully it will get corrected for you as it is great to not have to change the setting on my A/V unit between sources.

SJ
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page