Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 243 Old 05-16-2005, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 439
Who was the retailer?

I'd ask TV Authority for an opinion if you want to know.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 243 Old 05-16-2005, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by rogo
Who was the retailer?

I'd ask TV Authority for an opinion if you want to know.
Abe's, but good idea. I'll check TV Authority right now. I'm ready to buy. I just can't find it anywhere to actually buy.
post #93 of 243 Old 05-16-2005, 10:28 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Larry
Ouch. I just spoke w/ an online retailer about the availability of the 500u.

He said avaible end of August. UGGH. I'm going to cry. I had heard May or June. But I can't wait that long.

Is this true? Anyone?

The only reason I'm thinking of waiting for the 500 is to confirm the ability to stretch 4x3 on HD channels. Not even sure that the 500 can do that until I see it. Am I overly concerned? Should I just get this over with and get the 50?
Panasonic has been on track with the announced release dates for the 50Us so I anticipate the 500Us will begin showing up at Tweeters, CC, BB, etc., sometime during June with availability from Internet sellers sometime after that.
post #94 of 243 Old 05-16-2005, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by optivity
Panasonic has been on track with the announced release dates for the 50Us so I anticipate the 500Us will begin showing up at Tweeters, CC, BB, etc., sometime during June.
That's good to hear. Any idea if the 4x3 stretch is actually confirmed on the 500?

You have a 50 don't you? Is this going to be a problem? It's the only reason I'm even considering waiting.
post #95 of 243 Old 05-16-2005, 11:41 AM

Quote:
That's good to hear. Any idea if the 4x3 stretch is actually confirmed on the 500?

You have a 50 don't you? Is this going to be a problem? It's the only reason I'm even considering waiting.
There has been no "official" confirmation regarding stretch/zoom for 720p/1080i (or the supposed 2nd HDMI input) with the 500U. I have a 50U and currently it's not a problem because I can use the stretch/zoom feature (if necessary) for 720p/1080i available on my STBs (SA8300HD-DVR) remote. But I was interested in using the CableCARD feature which for now has been delayed until after the PDPs break-in period.
post #96 of 243 Old 05-16-2005, 12:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

For the life of me, I don't understand the 4 x 3 stretch issue. I've had a flat panel for several years now, and I can always "get around" the problem with a click or two.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #97 of 243 Old 05-16-2005, 01:01 PM

Check out page 21 here.
post #98 of 243 Old 05-16-2005, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, so what?

There is fairly precisely zero material in 720p or 1080i that's not 16:9.

If you are watching 4:3 material, it's not HD. It may be coming through on a broadcast channel in high res due to an in-station upconverter. If you have cable, switch to the regular, non-HD channel. If you have satellite, do the same. If you want to watch the upconvert and don't want to switch stations, change the STBs output to 480i/p and let the TV scale it from there.

OK, now that I've rambled on, what am I missing?

post #99 of 243 Old 05-16-2005, 03:27 PM

What if I want to use CableCARD instead of TWs STB?
post #100 of 243 Old 05-16-2005, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Yeah, so what?

If you are watching 4:3 material, it's not HD. It may be coming through on a broadcast channel in high res due to an in-station upconverter. If you have cable, switch to the regular, non-HD channel. If you have satellite, do the same. If you want to watch the upconvert and don't want to switch stations, change the STBs output to 480i/p and let the TV scale it from there.

You forget that the digital version of upconverted SD content on HD channel is much better quality than the same content on simulcast SD channel.
post #101 of 243 Old 05-16-2005, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Bingo. Analog cable VS Digital.

"I promise I'll never die." - Gary Johnston
post #102 of 243 Old 05-16-2005, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Yeah, so what?

I would disagree on my comcast cable their is quite a bit of HDTV that the internal tunner picks up that is 4:3 god knows why but its their.

Thanks
Robert
post #103 of 243 Old 05-16-2005, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

My HD cable has a bit as well. That 4:3 is just upconverted 4:3 480P. Only the widescreen is "true HD".

"I promise I'll never die." - Gary Johnston
post #104 of 243 Old 05-16-2005, 07:38 PM

Quite often I have observed programs being broadcast on TWCs HD digital tier in 4:3 aspect ratio and the PDP reports a 1080i or 720p signal. These programs cannot be stretched or zoomed to fill the native 16:9 aspect ratio of a PX50U PDP.
post #105 of 243 Old 05-16-2005, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by optivity
Quite often I have observed programs being broadcast on TWCs HD digital tier in 4:3 aspect ratio and the PDP reports a 1080i or 720p signal. These programs cannot be stretched or zoomed to fill the native 16:9 aspect ratio of a PX50U PDP.
Optivity - I assume these pictures look great. But does the lack of zoom worry you about burn in?

Also, do you wish you had a set that allowed you to do zoom here? Or is it just something you observed and doesn't bother you?
post #106 of 243 Old 05-16-2005, 09:07 PM

I posted this before, but at least the Japanese model of the PX500 can stretch and zoom HD modes. It can't detect the 4:3 (or rather, the presence of side bars) automatically, simply because it really is 16:9, but pressing the "screen mode" button stretches or zooms it. I would assume the American model has the same functionality, but no guarantees...

Han
post #107 of 243 Old 05-16-2005, 11:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by will792
You forget that the digital version of upconverted SD content on HD channel is much better quality than the same content on simulcast SD channel.
I don't forget it at all. People who are then going to stretch out that upconvert, however, are going to reduce it's picture quality anyway.

So, again, who cares about stretching this stuff.

And to clarify the poster above -- there is no HD content that is 4:3. Re-read my post and those below yours... It's all upconverts done at the station, not by the content producer. Those upconverts can look all right, but deciding what TV to buy based on whether or not you can stretch those upconverts, well, after reading this thread, I still don't get it..

post #108 of 243 Old 05-17-2005, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Those upconverts can look all right, but deciding what TV to buy based on whether or not you can stretch those upconverts, well, after reading this thread, I still don't get it..
I wouldn't base my decision on it either, but it can be convenient at times, especially if you don't have a cable box, as is common here. Not that there is a choice in Japan. It's only px500's here, no px50 or pd50.

Han
post #109 of 243 Old 05-17-2005, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Optivity - I assume these pictures look great. But does the lack of zoom worry you about burn in?

Also, do you wish you had a set that allowed you to do zoom here? Or is it just something you observed and doesn't bother you?
Exactly, all PDP manufacturers recommend to limit the amount of time viewing the display with sidebars. Indeed I would prefer to have this capability and it does bother me Panasonic did not include it. My assumption is since they recommend using the full 16:9 aspect ratio native to their PDPs, they would include the ability to do so in all modes. I do not consider switching to an SD channel to be a viable alternative and the absence of this feature has put the kibosh on the CableCARD option for the time being. In addition, I'm paying "all this money" for digital cable & HD but more often than not the HD channels are not providing HDTV programming. I do not understand why certain channels broadcast in HD full-time while others do not? I wonder if a software/firmware/board replacement could be used to provide this feature for Panasonic's PD/PX50U PDPs? IMO it was pretty shortsighted on Panasonic's part to "nickel & dime" out this feature on TV they market for $$$$; especially when you consider they recommend limiting the use of TV viewing with black/grey bars. While I'm not saying this is necessarily a deal breaker, it is worth considering when choosing what PDP to buy.
post #110 of 243 Old 05-17-2005, 04:46 AM

It is my understanding that the TH-**PX50s will allow you to Full, Just or Zoom a 480p (16:9) signal. Would cable box owner be able to switch the output of the cable box to a 480p (16:9) signal when the Hi-Def channels are sending out 4:3 letterbox material, then set the PDP to Full, Just or Zoom to avoid the black sidebars?
post #111 of 243 Old 05-17-2005, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MinxMeister
It is my understanding that the TH-**PX50s will allow you to Full, Just or Zoom a 480p (16:9) signal. Would cable box owner be able to switch the output of the cable box to a 480p (16:9) signal when the Hi-Def channels are sending out 4:3 letterbox material, then set the PDP to Full, Just or Zoom to avoid the black sidebars?
Panasonic's Full, Just and Zoom features are supported on the 50Us for 480p signals. Being the good "potato" I am... once I've set the STB to support 1080i/720p/480p... why would I want to get up from the "couch" to force an HD signal to SD? I should be able to do this with the remote.
post #112 of 243 Old 05-17-2005, 07:56 AM

Aaa-rrr-gghhh!! I've been sitting on the PX50UK/PX500U fence and I change my mind with every new post! This past week I begged my doctor to tell me that "I have only six-months to live" so I would finally make a choice between the two. Today I called and asked him for another six months! :) Is there a Panny support group for people with my disorder?

Allan

Allan

Measure twice, cut once. Then measure a third time in disbelief!
post #113 of 243 Old 05-17-2005, 07:59 AM

Quote:
I don't forget it at all. People who are then going to stretch out that upconvert, however, are going to reduce it's picture quality anyway.

So, again, who cares about stretching this stuff.

And to clarify the poster above -- there is no HD content that is 4:3. Re-read my post and those below yours... It's all upconverts done at the station, not by the content producer. Those upconverts can look all right, but deciding what TV to buy based on whether or not you can stretch those upconverts, well, after reading this thread, I still don't get it..
If we want to split hairs, fine it is not HD. But since the TV sees it as 720 or 1080 HD on the tunner it will not let you stretch. So reguardless of what it actually is, its a picture with bars that you cannot stretch using the TV alone which is the point of this subthread of the conversation
post #114 of 243 Old 05-17-2005, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Allanjn
Aaa-rrr-gghhh!! I've been sitting on the PX50UK/PX500U fence and I change my mind with every new post!
I'm doing the same thing between the same 2 sets. I can't take this anymore.

The only thing keeping me from getting the 50 now is this talk about being unable to strectch. Has there been any definitive confirmation that the 500 will do it? Or am I just worrying too much? I'm so sick of this fence!!
post #115 of 243 Old 05-17-2005, 09:30 AM

Quote:

The only thing keeping me from getting the 50 now is this talk about being unable to strectch. Has there been any definitive confirmation that the 500 will do it? Or am I just worrying too much? I'm so sick of this fence!!
The good news for you is... if you wait until the 500Us are out and then decide to buy a 50U instead, the price will inevitably be even lower than it is today!:D
post #116 of 243 Old 05-17-2005, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Allanjn
Aaa-rrr-gghhh!! I've been sitting on the PX50UK/PX500U fence and I change my mind with every new post! This past week I begged my doctor to tell me that "I have only six-months to live" so I would finally make a choice between the two. Today I called and asked him for another six months! :) Is there a Panny support group for people with my disorder?

Allan
YES! And you're already enrolled! :D

Welcome, BTW.
post #117 of 243 Old 05-17-2005, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Ditto! Someone please help ;-)
post #118 of 243 Old 05-17-2005, 11:42 AM

Not to make people's lives more complicated, but what about the 7UYs?

I've already ruled out the 50PX50U (due to lack of PC input as well as the stretch question), but as far as I know the 7UY handles stretch (is that correct?) and is great for PC input. And, as far as I know, no-one has been able to confirm that the new consumer models have any better picture quality (and with the green problem, maybe they have worse?). And, the price for the 7UY is at least a few hundred dollars lower and its available now.

So, if you don't need a built-in tuner or speakers, I'm not sure if the 500U is a clear-cut better choice then the 7UY.

That said, I'll probably still go for the 500U if it's available soon at a reasonable price, but if it's not going to be available til August, I'd probably get the 7UY...
post #119 of 243 Old 05-17-2005, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

If it is truly not available until August, you might consider waiting a couple more months for the release of the 8UYs.

Seems like every new Panasonic release provides something more than the previous (inputs aside). The PQ of the current consumer version is nearly unanimously considered better than the last.

Dare we hope the 8UYs will be a similar degree better than the 7UYs?
post #120 of 243 Old 05-17-2005, 12:01 PM

But if you wait until October/November for the 8UYs, the new consumers are just around the corner in April...DOH!
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page