Official Vizio P50HD 50" Plasma Disscusion & Experiences!!! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #91 of 4847 Old 06-21-2005, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by donotremove
do you guys think the box would fit in the back of a Honda CRV?
LOL. This was exactly my concern as well. :D
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 4847 Old 06-21-2005, 10:02 AM

maybe it's possible to remove the tv from the box it make it fit. makes it a bit more 'dangerous' i suppose, but if it breaks, at least you know costco will take it back ;)
post #93 of 4847 Old 06-21-2005, 11:28 AM

Liked: 11
I was all set to get a Panny ED (because of the PQ to price ratio). I had past on the Vizio the first time at Costco because I thought the Panny looked better.

I just got back from Costco and they have the Vizio in again. This time I thought it looked better!

Now I'm confused and wondering if I should wait to see the 50" come August.

Think it would be wrong to buy both, take them home, do a side-by-side, and take one back?
post #94 of 4847 Old 06-21-2005, 11:50 AM

I would. The spec's on paper look great. The big questions are how the PQ is on the ne LG glass and the build quality. since it's Costco and can be returned easy I think its worth getting and setting it up at home and give a good test. That is my plan.

John

Thanks!
John
post #95 of 4847 Old 06-21-2005, 12:12 PM

Quote:
maybe it's possible to remove the tv from the box it make it fit. makes it a bit more 'dangerous' i suppose, but if it breaks, at least you know costco will take it back ;)
Will they take it back without a box??
post #96 of 4847 Old 06-21-2005, 12:30 PM

They will. I have seen TV's in the return line many times with just the set. The best one I have seen was a lady that was returning a prime rib that was more the half eaten because she did not like it and yup they gave her the cash back!

Thanks!
John
post #97 of 4847 Old 06-21-2005, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMR
They will. I have seen TV's in the return line many times with just the set. The best one I have seen was a lady that was returning a prime rib that was more the half eaten because she did not like it and yup they gave her the cash back!
that's just crazy. I thought they didn't accept food returns. hey, i think I'm in the mood for a pizza pie. I'll eat half and return the other half because "I didn't like it." :rolleyes:
post #98 of 4847 Old 06-21-2005, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I was all set to get a Panny ED (because of the PQ to price ratio). I had past on the Vizio the first time at Costco because I thought the Panny looked better.

I just got back from Costco and they have the Vizio in again. This time I thought it looked better!

Think it would be wrong to buy both, take them home, do a side-by-side, and take one back?
wait for the 50". I bought the 42" with the intent to keep it. I was sorely disapointed with the PQ, not to mention the vertical banding issues i got with PS2 480p, so I returned it. I mean, I really wanted to like it because of the price point, but no matter how much I tweaked the settings I could never get close to the picture quality i saw with the panny or pioneers.
Hopepfully the new Vizios will be a lot better.
post #99 of 4847 Old 06-21-2005, 06:58 PM

About 15 years back I brought my Emerson 32" TV back from PriceClub (in case some of our members were too young, now it's CostCo) on my 1985 Toyota MR2! ;-)

Anyone want to bet I can load this 50" Vizio onto my current 2001 Celica? It's much bigger than the MR2, for sure.... LOL...

As I remember, the Emerson 32" back then was only 1/2 the price of a Sony, and it had just died on my sister about 1 year ago... This Vizio is about 1/2 the price of the Panny, Pio and Sony...and I'm sure it's another winner, as far as I can see from the specs, at least I know the HDMI, Faroudja and the 50" size could not be too far off from the specs... even with the CR at 1/3 the rated 10K:1, it's still worth the money!!!

The question is: Will there be one for me out of the 6-7 CostCo in my county???

Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock, Tick-Tock!
post #100 of 4847 Old 06-21-2005, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know the exact date yet they arrive at costco....I'm gonna have to camp outside the night before...

Oooh, and I had red 85 MR2 as well...ahh, those were the days... Now 20 years later, I'm stuck with a friggin minivan but at least it will hold a 50 inch plasma!

He who dies with the most toys wins.
http://www.sitejabber.com/users/staroch
post #101 of 4847 Old 06-22-2005, 03:30 AM

Quote:
that's just crazy. I thought they didn't accept food returns. hey, i think I'm in the mood for a pizza pie. I'll eat half and return the other half because "I didn't like it." :rolleyes:
I used to work at one in Virginia, and they had a guy that would return socks! Every year around Christmas he would return them, all used, in the original bag...nasty.
post #102 of 4847 Old 06-22-2005, 08:06 AM

Does Costco give rain checks for coupon items, I don't see in the coupon book that they are limiting supplies to stock on hand?
post #103 of 4847 Old 06-22-2005, 10:44 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefarious

Never mind. It must have been the signal. Stopped by again today and the Panny looked better again.

Still curious about the Vizio 50" though.
post #104 of 4847 Old 06-22-2005, 11:33 AM

I saw the 42" ED Vizio at Costco today and it looked horrible. Anything darker in the scene became a blotchy mess.
post #105 of 4847 Old 06-22-2005, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I saw the 42" ED Vizio at Costco today and it looked horrible. Anything darker in the scene became a blotchy mess.
What kind of source was it on, and into what inputs?

(I just realized you are talking about the EDTV. Apple and oranges, besides as mentioned the new one will use a different chipset)
post #106 of 4847 Old 06-22-2005, 12:13 PM

You cant use the V 42 as a comparison. The 50" uses total different materials. We will have to wait and see.

Thanks!
John
post #107 of 4847 Old 06-22-2005, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_j_a
The "ED" really? Not the P42HDe? I certainly wouldn't be comparing ED tv's with HD.
post #108 of 4847 Old 06-22-2005, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdo
What kind of source was it on, and into what inputs?

(I just realized you are talking about the EDTV. Apple and oranges, besides as mentioned the new one will use a different chipset)

Costco has an Akai ED and a Vizio HD 42, and actually even the Akai ED has a better picture than the Vizio HD 42". I agree that the HD panel was way too dark.

The source is relative as we can only compare it against the other panels on either side. The ED Panasonic and base model Pioneer blow it away.

However, again with the new specs this 50" should be a totally different story, and worth a shot especially with the return policy.
post #109 of 4847 Old 06-22-2005, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
do you guys think the box would fit in the back of a Honda CRV?
I've a similar sized vehicle and was wondering about the same thing. Some other 50" LCD box was quoted at 5'x4'x18". I guess this may be of similar size ... or does anyone know about the package size of V 50" ?

I guess on CRV, if you put the back seats down the package may fit in flat in the trunk.
post #110 of 4847 Old 06-22-2005, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataraj
I guess on CRV, if you put the back seats down the package may fit in flat in the trunk.

Couldn't tell if you were kidding or not...
Transporting a plasma in this manner (flat... lying down... horizontal, whatever) is not recommended. And that's an understatement. :)

cheers.

shane

"Yes Eve... I like to watch." - Chauncey Gardener.

My HT Setup:
http://www.fototime.com/A0E2793180FB3D0/orig.jpg
post #111 of 4847 Old 06-23-2005, 12:14 AM

^

why is that? just wondering.
post #112 of 4847 Old 06-23-2005, 03:16 AM
AVS Special Member

So, could you fellow costco members tell me how exactly you get these "coupons" telling you of a visio 50 inch in august? Do I need this mysterious coupon book to get the visio for that price? I am a costco member, but I'm under my parents membership (and have been since the 80s when it was priceclub). So, I don't get mailings from them.

He who dies with the most toys wins.
http://www.sitejabber.com/users/staroch
post #113 of 4847 Old 06-23-2005, 04:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Doc, it is sent out to Costco members. I couple (or three) months ago I got a mambership for new tires. A friend got his Costco Passport coupon book and I had to hear from him for a month before I got mine in the mail. These are tw-sided coupons, bar-coded, and I expect they are only useful at checkout for costco members.

When will D* stop pushing HD-Lite while charging us for full HD? Digital input on a CRT is a reality, not a possibility.
post #114 of 4847 Old 06-23-2005, 05:19 AM

Doc Tonic,

There are a few different type of membership cards. The more expensive ( executive) acrues rebate points which are awarded at the end of the year. If you are not a member yet, it would be best to get the executive card because you would receive about the difference of the two memberships fee back ( check at the service desk to verify total %) at the end of the year for purchasing this amount. Of course, if you purchase more items throughout the year, it can whittle your membership down to zero and could actually put a few $$$ bucks in your pocket toward next years membership.
As far as the passport coupon book, I believe it was only sent to executive members, but I could be wrong. Again, check at the customer service desk and ask for one after signing up. I believe you will only get the additional off if you have the coupon at checkout.
post #115 of 4847 Old 06-23-2005, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane55
Couldn't tell if you were kidding or not...
Transporting a plasma in this manner (flat... lying down... horizontal, whatever) is not recommended. And that's an understatement. :)

cheers.

shane
While it is not recommended ... there is no consensus on this. I'd personally get it shipped. BTW, does anyone know whether costco home would have this and whether they take passport coupons.

See This Thread.
post #116 of 4847 Old 06-23-2005, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger3p
Will this plasma need anything else other than the standard cables? Can I just open the box, connect the appropriate cables to my audio box and my dish box and be on my merry way or do I need to purchase something else?

Thanks for any reply!
Anything on this??
post #117 of 4847 Old 06-23-2005, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCleary
The "ED" really? Not the P42HDe? I certainly wouldn't be comparing ED tv's with HD.
I'm not sure what the model number is... it was 42" and had a black bezel.

I would compare ED and HD... the Panasonic ED Costco has looks as good as the HD Pioneer IMO. You can easily compare the colors and black levels between HD and ED TV's, realizing that there are not as many pixels. The Vizio has very poor black levels. Granted the HD model will be completely different and could be good, but I haven't seen any Vizio panel HD or not that looked as good as a ED Panasonic plasma. They seem to be a company more focused on price rather than PQ so I'm not getting my hopes up.
post #118 of 4847 Old 06-23-2005, 08:57 AM

The P42HDe has a charcoal grey bezel. I do not find that my Vizio has poor black levels but I don't know what you are used. Also keep in mind that the units on display at Costco have probably not been calibrated. Forget the crappy feeds and the awful lighting in those places.
post #119 of 4847 Old 06-23-2005, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Tonic
So, could you fellow costco members tell me how exactly you get these "coupons" telling you of a visio 50 inch in august? Do I need this mysterious coupon book to get the visio for that price? I am a costco member, but I'm under my parents membership (and have been since the 80s when it was priceclub). So, I don't get mailings from them.

You will definitely need a coupon. The coupon books are usually available at the Customer Service Counter where you sign up to become a member and return merchandise. They eventually run out of coupon books, so I wouldn't wait until August to get one.

Joe

OTA all the way, OTA only!

Why put up with the over-compressed picture that cable and satellite companies are selling as "HD"?
post #120 of 4847 Old 06-23-2005, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Tonic
Just send them an email with your membership number, they will send it to you
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page