Official Vizio P50HD 50" Plasma Disscusion & Experiences!!! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #181 of 4847 Old 07-05-2005, 10:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey DCAC, you are correct that on the vizio web site the price is $3299. When I called sales directly they stated it was $2999.99 and ordering via the web site charges a premium. I'm not sure why. They also have 3 day air and 2 day air delivery for $250 and $320 dollars.

If you decide to get it early, please let us know how it is. I asked vizio sales if they had any 3rd party reviews for the set, but they stated it was to new to have reviews out.

Later,
MAV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4847 Old 07-06-2005, 06:42 AM

They will give you the $400 back NO PROBLEM. I have done this MANY times and never had a problem.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKM466
Yes, they will be in stock possibly first week of August, but may not go on sale till the 22nd when the coupon's in effect (they don't like doing "virtual" return to give customer the difference of $400+)...

Thanks!
John
post #183 of 4847 Old 07-06-2005, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Nelson
hugenut: Where are you located? I love my 42 and would be happy to have another. If you want the 50 and still have the 42 in the sealed box, I would be more than happy to take it off your hands for what you paid for it. Then you dont have to deal with the return and all.
If Northern VA is too far I live in central New Jersey and although mine has been used I still have the box and would be willing to sell at a discounted rate.
post #184 of 4847 Old 07-06-2005, 08:55 AM

I currently have, since Jan2005, a Vizio P42HDe. For the most part, I had been happy with the unit until it started to developed a intermittent problem a few days ago: a purplish vertical band at the left side of the screen.

Now, I'm shopping for a replacement. At the COSTCO nearby, next to each other are (all 42"): Vizio P42HDe, Pioneer 4312, Panasonic ED (I forget the exact model). They were all fed the same HD signal feed via component.

a) Panny ED: the picture looks the best but I can't get pass the SDE when I come closer and at home, I do sometimes watch close. Same cost as the Vizio.

b) Pioneer: The PQ looks very good but I just can't justify $1000 more for this unit for the slight improvement in PQ. This pio had better skin color vs. Vizio

c) Vizio: In this particular side-by-side, the vizio was adjusted very well; the PQ looked very good next to the pio; better in black levels.

So help me decide:
Option 1. Should I trade for the pio and swallow the $1K which is well beyond my budget. How else can I justfy the cost? Slight more PQ, not enough.

-or-

Option 2) Trade it for the same model, brand new Vizio and hope that it won't have the same problem, next time.

Thanks for any input.
post #185 of 4847 Old 07-06-2005, 06:16 PM

JohnMR,

I just hate to go through another bad experience: Last year I asked for a refund of $30 for the carpet cleaner I boughter at full price before the coupon took effect. The lady in the customer service claimed because it's a "manufacturer's discount coupon" Costco could not just refund my money, that I had to return and repurchase the item.

I protested to the manager: She thought I got a point, so she did and stated it's too complicated to do a "virtual" return just to get my 30 bucks.

I sure hope you're right there will be "NO PROBLEM" this time getting the refund without the darn hassle. I guess it all depends who's at the customer service...

I'll get it the first it's out, whenever it's out! ;-)

BTW, the back of the coupon says if it's out of stock, we can show CostCo the coupon to get a raincheck.

Thanks...
post #186 of 4847 Old 07-06-2005, 07:00 PM

Hey LKM. I guess each Costco is different when it comes customer service. I have never had a problem over the last 5 years. We have done this maybe 10 times and each time it was easy as pie! I guess if they give you a real hard time say ok fine see you in one hour when I return it and go buy a new set. On a side note and I think I may have posted this before, the manager at my Costco told me he thought they would have them in stock the first or second week of Aug. but would not put them out to the sale day. Not sure if this is true or not. My plan is to get one as soon as I see it. Just hope it turns out be a good unit.

John

Thanks!
John
post #187 of 4847 Old 07-06-2005, 08:11 PM

This is sort of OT, but I was at Costco today picking up some of that laminate flooring on sale. The total rang up to about $600 and I told the cashier about the coupon. He said they no longer keep them at the register and we have to provide our own (good thing I had my book with me). Apparently, the manufactures were getting upset that 1 coupon was being used for hundreds of purchases (I bet people buying dozens of bags of jerky is what started this :) so they now require you to provide the coupon.

So remember your coupons when picking up the Vizio!

Jim
post #188 of 4847 Old 07-07-2005, 12:38 AM

Is this coupon available yet, if so how do I go about getting one? I went to Costco today and the only coupons I saw were for mid-July.
post #189 of 4847 Old 07-07-2005, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jserio
This is sort of OT, but I was at Costco today picking up some of that laminate flooring on sale. The total rang up to about $600 and I told the cashier about the coupon. He said they no longer keep them at the register and we have to provide our own (good thing I had my book with me). Apparently, the manufactures were getting upset that 1 coupon was being used for hundreds of purchases (I bet people buying dozens of bags of jerky is what started this :) so they now require you to provide the coupon.

So remember your coupons when picking up the Vizio!

Jim
I've been a Costco member for about a year (have the Sunray by Rainbow swingset :) )...never saw any coupons in the mail.
how do you get one.?--at the store, online, gotta be through the mail.????

"Welcome To The Thunder Deck" our $6k theater/media room, 100% DIY

There are 2 types of people in this world - home theater enthusiasts and idiots
post #190 of 4847 Old 07-07-2005, 07:36 AM

There's a tip in the thread that you can e-mail Costco with your membership number and request that they mail you the Passport Savings book. That's what I did, but haven't heard anything yet.
post #191 of 4847 Old 07-07-2005, 08:14 AM

You might be able to go to the customer service desk and ask for a Passport book.
post #192 of 4847 Old 07-07-2005, 08:45 AM

I was told that only executive members get the passport savings books mailed to them.
post #193 of 4847 Old 07-07-2005, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edchu
I was told that only executive members get the passport savings books mailed to them.
I believe that's correct. Because of the rebate it's more than worth the extra cost if you regularly buy.
post #194 of 4847 Old 07-07-2005, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

So us regular schmucks should just be able to walk into a store and get the coupon book?
post #195 of 4847 Old 07-07-2005, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by edchu
Not true; I'm a vanilla Costco member and I get the passport savings mailed to me... :p I never had to do anything to start receiving them either; they just started coming once I joined (and I'm pretty sure I even got one in the time I'd let my Costco membership expire for a couple months last year :D).
post #196 of 4847 Old 07-07-2005, 11:52 AM

I just got off the phone with my local Costco and the Costco Wholesale Call Center (800-774-2678)

The employee at the store told me they don't have any control over Passport books, corporate sends them out. I was given the above 800 number to call the Costco Wholesale Call Center.

The call center employee told me the store should have extra coupon books to hand out to any customer, no matter what kind of account they have. She then put a note in my "record" that I had called and told her I was not getting the Passport book mailed to me like I should. (Although what are the chances the store is going to have access to my "record" and the notes contained therein?) Also, she didn't tell me this, but since she said the stores should have extra books for all members, I would think that those books should be mailed to all Costco members, not just Executive members. As a side note...I'm have an Executive membership and have yet to see a Passport book in my mailbox.

Being in purchasing for a small company without much clout, it has been my experience you just have to work these big companies. Sometimes I know more about how certain programs I use with these big companies work than the employees I deal with do. These companies just get so big, have high employee turnover, and too many new programs coming out that employees can't keep track. It's just a matter of dealing with or finding the right person. It sounds like every Costco member s/b entitled to the Vizio P50HDM coupon. It's just that some of us may just have to work a little harder to get it.

Good luck all...Let the games begin!!!
post #197 of 4847 Old 07-07-2005, 12:59 PM

I can't wait for the games to begin! Seems like so far away...
post #198 of 4847 Old 07-07-2005, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googer
Not true; I'm a vanilla Costco member and I get the passport savings mailed to me... :p I never had to do anything to start receiving them either; they just started coming once I joined (and I'm pretty sure I even got one in the time I'd let my Costco membership expire for a couple months last year :D).

Stopped by again and received a different explanation. I was told that each main account holder will get the book (not each member). I am a member through work, so the office gets the coupon book. None of the additional employee members get a book (as it was explained to me). They did gave me a book upon request. No problem. I am sure I could have gotten one the first time - I didn't know they had them so never asked.
post #199 of 4847 Old 07-07-2005, 06:24 PM

Edchu: That's not true!

My card's through a restaurant business; my sister's card is through the "vanilla" account; my neighbor's through an executive account; we all got the coupon booklets...

Yeah, Use all their coupons for the jerky: 12 bucks saved! ;-)

DCAC: I hear you! It's so far, far away! It's another friggin' 46 days to go... last I counted the days was 59... maybe it's not to far, far, far, far away after all? ;-)

Patience is golden!!!
post #200 of 4847 Old 07-08-2005, 09:56 AM

I spoke with my local Costco and they said that extra books are available at Customer Service. They also stated that they mail them out to all members.
post #201 of 4847 Old 07-08-2005, 12:08 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I swung by my local Costco on the way home yesterday and was given one at CS when I asked for it, no hassle.
post #202 of 4847 Old 07-08-2005, 12:21 PM

The stores usually do have extra books, so it is not a hassle until they run out.

And it is true that many Costco's do not keep the discount coupons to scan at the registers anymore.

Since the books came out a few weeks ago, if you plan on getting the Vizio and haven't received your Summer Passport book yet, go to your local Costco ASAP, as they do tend to run out.
post #203 of 4847 Old 07-10-2005, 05:34 PM

I went buy Costco and picked up my coupon book. They gave it to me when I joined the club. I went ahead and got the executive membership. It was $55 more than the gold membership which I will get back if I buy the Vizio in August. It sure is tempting to say the least. I desperately need a 50" plasma for my den. I hope this turns out to be the deal of the century. I wonder why Costco is carrying the older Pioneer PDP-5040 and not the 5050. I guess I could always opt for it if I did not like the Vizio. If you guys hear anything keep me posted.

Michael
post #204 of 4847 Old 07-10-2005, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
post #205 of 4847 Old 07-10-2005, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
http://cgi.*********/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...787695511&rd=1

This guy is selling the $xxx coupon for the vizio through Costco
post #206 of 4847 Old 07-11-2005, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Wow people find really creative ways to make a buck...
post #207 of 4847 Old 07-11-2005, 06:31 PM

If you see the screen first, you can order it at Costco online too. At least that is what is says in my Passport book. Of course, you'll have to pay a bit in shipping. For me, it means I save 2 1/4% tax between NY and NJ anyway! :)

Oh, and just to help you all keep count: I am a regular nobody member and get the Passport. Always have.
post #208 of 4847 Old 07-12-2005, 09:02 PM

Anyone's got this unit and ready to rate it? It's already available at Vizio's site for sale at MSRP of $3299.

Additional site where the first rating may be available is here:

http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/VIZIO-P50HDM.htm
post #209 of 4847 Old 07-13-2005, 07:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I thought someone said they were going to sell it directly for $2999.

When will D* stop pushing HD-Lite while charging us for full HD? Digital input on a CRT is a reality, not a possibility.
post #210 of 4847 Old 07-13-2005, 08:05 AM

It's $2999 if ordered by phone, and $3299 if ordered via internet. Silly? yes.
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page