Panasonic 8th generation PWD commercial displays now available:) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 630 Old 06-14-2005, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkyrie
Maybe they're charging us more to remove that hideous silver bezel on the consumer version. :)
Hey, worth every penny!! :D

"I'm more of an idea rat..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 630 Old 06-14-2005, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryU
Hey, worth every penny!! :D
Uh-greed! :D

"Yes Eve... I like to watch." - Chauncey Gardener.

My HT Setup:
http://www.fototime.com/A0E2793180FB3D0/orig.jpg
post #93 of 630 Old 06-15-2005, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfpipetrick
After talking to a couple of Panasonic reps., the best eta I could get for the 50" is perhaps as early as August but perhaps as late as October. I received confirmation from Panasonic that the new 50" "8th Series" will have the 1/8" bezel along with a brighter image and more PIP features.
Uh-oh! uh-oh! :eek:

Hide the credit card, mama!
post #94 of 630 Old 06-15-2005, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

a 50" panny with 1/8 inch bezel might simply be irresistable...With this sleek look, the dimensions may not be much wider than my 6th generation consumer 37" ED model. Wow.
post #95 of 630 Old 06-15-2005, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

oh, and I wonder if the thin bezel means it will also weigh a little less than the previous model (or perhaps they will just redistribute the weight elsewhere), which would be an added bonus...
post #96 of 630 Old 06-15-2005, 12:58 PM

Sorry to burst the speculative bubble here but, I just got word from Panasonic from another rep. (a technical one) that the bezel on the 50" is not going to be 1/8" yet still thinner than the current one.

I decided not to wait and just get the 7uy... Perhaps when the new Sony's come out at the end of the year, I'll be wishing I waited to buy...
post #97 of 630 Old 06-15-2005, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

sounds like we are getting conflicting reports from Panasonic reps on the bezel--"the truth is out there," we just have to be patient for it to eventually reveal itself....
post #98 of 630 Old 06-15-2005, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
For those of us on the cusp of buying, the wait is tough. :) I'm sold, either on a 7uy or the 8uk. I would just like to see a picture of the new one to get an idea of what it really looks like. The specs say I should get the 8uk, but I don't know...I'm not sure I'll like it without the bezel. The 7uy bezel kind of adds that "movie theater" frame.
post #99 of 630 Old 06-15-2005, 03:40 PM

I will wait for the 8 as I have a 42" 7 that is watchable. I have been to Sears recently and looked at the 50" compared to the 42s and I want a 50 very badly. But this is the kind of thing that most of us will buy and then watch for many years to come so I know I would always be remorseful if I did not wait.

What's the point of building a giant robot if you can't blow stuff up with it?
post #100 of 630 Old 06-15-2005, 04:15 PM

I was told they were on back order from a couple of online vendors and sold out at another one (they are not re-ordering) Perhaps I will wait for the 50" 8UK
post #101 of 630 Old 06-15-2005, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halfpipetrick

I decided not to wait and just get the 7uy... Perhaps when the new Sony's come out at the end of the year, I'll be wishing I waited to buy...
I have not heard any info about 2005 Sony's - whats the scoop?

JCPZero

Tips for Searching AVS:
Change showing threads from default of last 2 days to last 100 days (lower right section of page)
Use Search This Forum (Current) box (upper right section of page)
Type in model number, manufacturer name or other search term.
post #102 of 630 Old 06-15-2005, 06:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

With all this talk of thin bezel on the 8UY, the one thing that comes to my mind is the
"ONYX". They have a thin bezel. Go take a look at one and this might be close to the 8UY.

Dave

"Appeasment only makes the Aggressor more Aggressive"
post #103 of 630 Old 06-15-2005, 07:03 PM
Advanced Member

Judging by the pics the Onyx seems to have a thin bezel, looks like maybe 1/4". Inside that is a broad flat glass plate, but the outside inch or two border seems to be black, framing the image.

The vision I have of the 8UK is an image that comes right out to the bezel (like the 50Us), but the bezel's only 1/8"... so from any distance it'll look almost like a frameless image. It could be more like the Onyx, though, with a framing border included in the glass, and just a 1/8" bezel outside of that. So maybe no smaller overall than the 7UYs, but all flat glass except the outer 1/8".

Either way, it'll be a departure from previous models. I'm not sure which I'd prefer... the almost-frameless version has the cool factor, but the Onyxish version might be easier to watch in the long run.

Gotta stop... salivating on my keyboard!

"I'm more of an idea rat..."
post #104 of 630 Old 06-16-2005, 03:52 AM

I'm in the same boat. Not many places have the TH-50PHD7UY anymore. Also, I wonder if the 8UK will use the same stand as the 7UY as I already picked up a stand at a good price. Where did you order your 7UY from?
post #105 of 630 Old 06-16-2005, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

The Onyx looks nice, but note that the bezel is not particularly thin--it is actually thicker than the 7UY. Larger overall dimensions (width and height). Would rather simply get the 7UY--and at a lower price. Better yet, wait for the 8UY, even if the bezel is not 1/8", if it is thinner than the 7UY then it should look quite nice...
post #106 of 630 Old 06-16-2005, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

I just ordered a 7UY from Visual Apex. Waiting..Waiting... for the baby to show up at my door
post #107 of 630 Old 06-16-2005, 07:44 AM
Advanced Member

Let us hope that the black level issues, etc have been solved in the 8th generation sets. Otherwise, I cannot see getting one.
post #108 of 630 Old 06-16-2005, 05:41 PM

Does anyone know when the phd8uy are coming out and what color they are? :confused:
post #109 of 630 Old 06-16-2005, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Probably between September and December. And I'm betting we'll see black again. Just like last year. And the year before that. And the year before that. And the year before...

The most efficient path is seldom a straight line.
post #110 of 630 Old 06-18-2005, 02:07 AM

Liked: 14
I'm surprised that the idea of having a 1/8" bezel is so appealing to so many users without space constraints. The large black bezel gives the illusion of a larger arguably "pricier" set while increasing perceived contrast. I fine it aesthtically pleasing to have larger, solid bezel. Especially on such a large display. To take away the bezel would seem to leave a 50" unit too disproportionate IMHO. Especially if you're like me and you have an enormous living room wall and want the set to take up as much wall space as possible and keep the audience focused on the TV, not it's surroundings. I was excited about the prospect of of a new 8 series commercial panny, now I guess I'm stuck having to get the 7UY. What a disappointment.

"Now a clever man would put the poison into his own goblet, because he would know that only a great fool would reach for what he was given. I am not a great fool so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But you must have known I was not a great fool, you would have counted on it.."
post #111 of 630 Old 06-18-2005, 04:04 AM

Like someone mentioned earlier in the thread, it may be that the 1/8" bezel turns out to be an element of styling similar to the Onyx (i.e. there still may be a black glass border around the picture.)

Hopefully, we'll see soon.

Even my wife loves HD.
post #112 of 630 Old 06-18-2005, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd like to see a cablecard input on the 8UY/8UK. Since many of these sets are used in stores/salons etc, I'm sure many owners would appreciate the increased connection simplicity, improved SD PQ, and lower monthly charges.

Cory
post #113 of 630 Old 06-18-2005, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Is there a 50" model of these new Panasonics announced??? If so, when are they a coming?

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #114 of 630 Old 06-18-2005, 09:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBPM
I'm surprised that the idea of having a 1/8" bezel is so appealing to so many users without space constraints. The large black bezel gives the illusion of a larger arguably "pricier" set while increasing perceived contrast. I fine it aesthtically pleasing to have larger, solid bezel. Especially on such a large display. To take away the bezel would seem to leave a 50" unit too disproportionate IMHO. Especially if you're like me and you have an enormous living room wall and want the set to take up as much wall space as possible and keep the audience focused on the TV, not it's surroundings. I was excited about the prospect of of a new 8 series commercial panny, now I guess I'm stuck having to get the 7UY. What a disappointment.
I think its a taste thing but a borderless active panel has a lot of appeal to me. I am waiting to see if it will be possible to rear mount this into a custom cabinet wall.

ss
post #115 of 630 Old 06-18-2005, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBPM

A plasma is simply a small TV..It is not a front projector where a majority of your field of vision is filled by the screen. It is simply a flattened TV. THe screen, even on a 50" is so small, having a small bezel would do little in terms of cheapen the display but be an inherent advantage in terms of esthetics. More polished in my opinion. It won't look less substantial with a small bezel but more sleek and sophisticated than the clunkier 7UY.

Plasma's are inherently ugly, adding esthetic trim is certainly an advantage over a more plastic around the periphery. I am sure this model will go over well with interior designers as well as those with nicely finished rooms. The 8 series is a step in the right direction.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #116 of 630 Old 06-18-2005, 10:33 AM

Everyone needs to remember that this panel is designed for commercial use, where a borderless panel would be ideal for digital signage such as a 4x4 array. If you want a wide border, Panasonic makes several consumer models that may suit you better.
post #117 of 630 Old 06-18-2005, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It's a design opportunity just waiting to happen, frame it however you like. I will be surprised if the manufacturer didn't offer a simple slip-on frame, for single panel applications.
post #118 of 630 Old 06-18-2005, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccapozzoli
I just ordered a 7UY from Visual Apex. Waiting..Waiting... for the baby to show up at my door
I just got a new 7UY from Visual Apex. Extremely pleased, both with the monitor and the excellent service, as usual. See My 50" Plasma--Destroyed! on why I had to buy a new one ;-)
post #119 of 630 Old 06-18-2005, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucer
I will be surprised if the manufacturer didn't offer a simple slip-on frame, for single panel applications.
Since there are quite a few accessories for the commercial models, it will be interesting to see if they offer a frame for one panel. I bet they will offer 4 panel and possible larger wall brackets to mount multiple panels in a grid.

JCPZero

Tips for Searching AVS:
Change showing threads from default of last 2 days to last 100 days (lower right section of page)
Use Search This Forum (Current) box (upper right section of page)
Type in model number, manufacturer name or other search term.
post #120 of 630 Old 06-20-2005, 03:23 PM

Has Anyone found pictures of the 8UK anywhere??? I have been looking and making some phone calls, but no luck yet......Hmmm, that 1/8 inch bezel sure sounds nice.
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page