Let's start discussion: Sceptre 37inch 1080P LCD TV(X37SV-Naga) in Costco (from Aug) - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 951 Old 07-20-2005, 09:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
with costco's liberal return policy, it's a no brainer...can't wait til august 22nd...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 951 Old 07-20-2005, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvx24p
with costco's liberal return policy, it's a no brainer...can't wait til august 22nd...
plus 20 business days for delivery.
post #93 of 951 Old 07-20-2005, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate
Does anyone know about how much to expect to pay for shipping?

If one does decides not to keep the display, who eats the shipping cost?

The catch 22 situation is that anyone who wants to buy this at the discount price will have to pay unit cost + shipping + tax up front without anyone anywhere ever seeing the picture. Only one month later will we have the real facts.
This is not way to do business!

The solution is that Costco needs to have a display unit in each store durning the week of the sale. Costco members are an upscale group and need to make an informed, prudent decision before making the commitment, rather than a month after the sale.
Samething that I was thinking so I found another 37" LCD on their site and they want a wonderful $199 for shipping which after Tax and joining the costco club your over the 2k mark which kind of kills the deal for me. I want to spend less than 2k on one of these. And sight onseen is another turnoff to me as I almost bought a Syntax 32" many months ago but am very happy I didnt as the SD picture was not very good.
post #94 of 951 Old 07-20-2005, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylotto
I sure hope they don't take 20 days for derlivery Oo;;; What will I do without a TV!?!??! aROAGHOH!!
post #95 of 951 Old 07-20-2005, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommylotto
Which means they are gong to build to order.

Loren
post #96 of 951 Old 07-20-2005, 11:08 AM

So do what are people thinking in terms of it including an ATSC tuner? The (supposed) specs mention NTSC tuner specifically, but then only say digital tuner in the specs at the top of the page, however i do see that it is "compatible with" 180i, 720p etc.... Am I supposed to take this to mean it will have both tuners? Also what can I expect in terms of types of picture in picture based off of previous sceptre models. And scaling??? how does sceptre do?
post #97 of 951 Old 07-20-2005, 11:32 AM

It took them over a month to even call to schedule a delivery for a plasma I ordered from Costco. What a joke, I canceled my Costco membership and the plasma order. Even after canceling all of that I was still getting calls a month later wanting to deliver my TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoglog
I sure hope they don't take 20 days for derlivery Oo;;; What will I do without a TV!?!??! aROAGHOH!!
post #98 of 951 Old 07-20-2005, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

It does look like any "White Glove" shipping for LCD TVs is $199... So I guess we're going to have to deal with that :(.
post #99 of 951 Old 07-20-2005, 12:45 PM

I'm really considering scratching my Crutchfield order for the BenQ DV3750 and going for the Costco Sceptre 37" set.

I am not yet a Costco member. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to maximize the benefits that I may earn by joining?

I definitely want to get my hands on that coupon, of course.

Also, is it true that the shipping cost is refundable if you return something that was purchased from costco on line?

JER
post #100 of 951 Old 07-20-2005, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjut
It does look like any "White Glove" shipping for LCD TVs is $199... So I guess we're going to have to deal with that :(.

That price for shipping is way over what it should be, I have seen in certain places that dont take you for shipping, Ship the Westinghouse 37" for under $60. I dont need any white glove treatment for an LCD I can carry myself. I was seriously thinking about this one but I do believe Im out now! Unless I could pick it up at costco but it doesnt sound like it to me, Looks like online only. Price just doesnt look as great with the $199 shipping plus tax plus costco joing club fee.
post #101 of 951 Old 07-20-2005, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I live 3 blocks from a Costco and will not be paying them $199 to ship me a <60lb item. I'll just pass on this unless it happens to be in stock at the store.

UncD2000
post #102 of 951 Old 07-20-2005, 01:19 PM

As regards the outrageous shipping cost, just look at it as a way to hide the true price. They are offering a $250 discount, plus another $50 mail-in rebate. This is the same as if they sold the set with free shipping and membership for the first years was waived, but had the pricetag still read what it does. This is just retailing nonsense.

I still worry about whether or not the shipping would be refunded if I return the set.

JER
post #103 of 951 Old 07-20-2005, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DESCARTES
So do what are people thinking in terms of it including an ATSC tuner? The (supposed) specs mention NTSC tuner specifically, but then only say digital tuner in the specs at the top of the page, however i do see that it is "compatible with" 180i, 720p etc.... Am I supposed to take this to mean it will have both tuners? Also what can I expect in terms of types of picture in picture based off of previous sceptre models. And scaling??? how does sceptre do?
Good point. As was stated earlier:
"Costco members are an upscale group and need to make an informed, prudent decision before making the commitment, rather than a month after the sale."

Quote:
"You can return it to costco local store and the shipping cost will be refunded, too. It is simple as that."
No it is NOT that simple. I am serious costumer and do not wish to go through a big hassle, when just spending 5 minutes analyzing the display in person would allow me to make an informed decision. I thought the 32" looked pretty good. This method would save both Costco's profit and my time. Besides its the most ethical and logical solution.
post #104 of 951 Old 07-20-2005, 01:35 PM

Liked: 12
Hi guys, newbie here so please be gentle. Any news on whether this set will accept 1080p? If it ends up not accepting 1080p, does that mean it won't work with 1920x1080 via DVI from a PC?

Thanks in advance.
post #105 of 951 Old 07-20-2005, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwan_td
Hi guys, newbie here so please be gentle. Any news on whether this set will accept 1080p? If it ends up not accepting 1080p, does that mean it won't work with 1920x1080 via DVI from a PC?

Thanks in advance.
Regardless of whatever elusive 1080p format becomes a standard, the PC resolution is proven and working (if you have a good enough graphics card).
post #106 of 951 Old 07-20-2005, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Well Jim, I can tell you from first-hand experience, the "normal" s/h is refundable. I bought a 30" Spectre at Costco Online over a year ago, and returned it because it was defective. They refunded the full amount without questions.

Now, the "white glove" s/h is another matter... I don't know if they will refund a "service" like that. :/ I'm a little annoyed that this is not optional, especially when the Sharp Aquos 37" they offer online costs only ~$60 in s/h (standard shipping).

Even with that, I think Costco still has the best return policy you could ever ask for. They will take any item back for full refund (no restocking fee) and at the least "normal" s/h for up to one year. Try finding that anywhere online. Most retailers will force you to pay a restocking fee (up to 15% in some cases) and/or limit the returns to 15-30 days.

-eric
post #107 of 951 Old 07-20-2005, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Reeve
As regards the outrageous shipping cost, just look at it as a way to hide the true price. They are offering a $250 discount, plus another $50 mail-in rebate. This is the same as if they sold the set with free shipping and membership for the first years was waived, but had the pricetag still read what it does. This is just retailing nonsense.

I still worry about whether or not the shipping would be refunded if I return the set.
This is true but it sure takes the bang out of a great so called deal as it now just looks like an ordinary everyday price now and not an outstanding deal. I think I will now wait longer for prices to drop. The Westinghouse 37" that you metioned in another thread at half the price is really looking good now. Might just go for that if I see it again at those prices.
post #108 of 951 Old 07-20-2005, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Just called Costco.com:

- There's no way to get out of the "white glove" s/h on a unit that has it listed as the s/h service.
- They will fully refund the "white glove" s/h fees if you return it at a Costco store.
- The stores will accept the unit without the packaging for refunds (since the "white glove" s/h takes away the packaging).

Hope that helps a little. :)

-eric
post #109 of 951 Old 07-20-2005, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
i have rechecked the website a couple of times, and i dont think it supports 1080p input. i know some people dont think it is a necessity but this is going to be a 70% computer monitor with some tv and dvd. so i will wait and see but i dont think i can go with this one. i guess i will wait for benq vs westinghouse.

-rob
post #110 of 951 Old 07-20-2005, 03:18 PM

Thanks, Eric, for the info re the shipping and handling refund.

I'm gonna go for the Sceptre. There is nothing to lose, given that there is a Costco within a few miles.

I guess that I will dump my pending order for the BenQ Dv3750 with Crutchfield. After all, I can always get that one if the Sceptre turns out to be a bum deal.

The only remaining question is whether the Sceptre thing will actually materialize on time.

JER
post #111 of 951 Old 07-20-2005, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Im getting it for sure

if its not good , costco is 10 mins from my house

Tyler Pruitt - Pro Calibrator - BionicAV
Technical Support - SpectraCal

THX Certified - Video Calibration

post #112 of 951 Old 07-20-2005, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy
Im getting it for sure

if its not good , costco is 10 mins from my house
Sup Everett buddy?

I'm going to peak into your windows to see if I like the TV. :cool:
post #113 of 951 Old 07-20-2005, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericjut
The stores will accept the unit without the packaging for refunds (since the "white glove" s/h takes away the packaging).
Hmm... the white glove service definitely doesn't not remove the packaging... I have had a few white glove deliveries from costco, and they deliver the full box to any room you wish (at least that has been my experience). Typically white glove is just a trucking/delivery company (i.e. Bekins) that will call you to schedule a delivery.
+
post #114 of 951 Old 07-20-2005, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leobag
Hmm... the white glove service definitely doesn't not remove the packaging... I have had a few white glove deliveries from costco, and they deliver the full box to any room you wish (at least that has been my experience). Typically white glove is just a trucking/delivery company (i.e. Bekins) that will call you to schedule a delivery.
+
Well, I have never had anything delivered from Costco but, the delivery information at the bottom of the product description certainly states otherwise.

"Standard shipping via White Glove* furniture carrier. "White Glove" delivery includes inside delivery, uncrating or unpacking, and removal of packing materials. Carrier will call to set up a delivery time. Extraordinary delivery requirements may necessitate an additional fee to the carrier."
post #115 of 951 Old 07-20-2005, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I had my washer/dryer delivered this way and they took all the packaging with them.

At $200 for a ~$2k TV... I'm going to make sure they do it. :)

-eric
post #116 of 951 Old 07-20-2005, 10:29 PM

wow... i guess i have been missing out!

Honestly, just a couple of guys bring the box in, set it down, you sign something, they leave.

*however*
Maybe if I told them to do all that stuff, they would have - but they have never offered or even hinted that they were expected to do more.

Maybe they mean they will remove the the 'box' from the shipping crate (usually a wood crate), and any 'cling-wrap' or bubble wrap protection from the outside of the box?

Anyway, i am usually happy with their performance and how they don't go opening the box... personally, i would rather do it.
post #117 of 951 Old 07-20-2005, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

With the final price well over $2K, it's almost $400 over the "closeout" delivered price of the Westy 37w1 that many have reported at BB. If the Sceptre turns out to have a QAM tuner, CableCARD, 1080P support, and decent blacks, it could be worth it. I may give it a try, but let's see what the final published specs look like.

UncD2000
post #118 of 951 Old 07-20-2005, 11:29 PM

hwan_td,

I'm not so sure you'll get 1920x1080 on this Sceptre from a PC. The top-of-the-line Sharp was reviewed by C/NET and said.... "you'll find one DVI and one HDMI input--the former compatible with PCs and Macs that have DVI outputs, up to 1,280x1,024 resolution
post #119 of 951 Old 07-21-2005, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, but Sceptre is mainly a PC monitor company, while Sharp is more of a consumer electronics company.

I don't know about 1080p over component, I would be very surprised that the Sceptre unit doesn't support 1080p over HDMI/DVI for the PC.

And I have a clue: if you go on the Sceptre page for the NagaII (http://www.sceptre.com/Products/LCD/...7SV-NagaII.htm), one of the big lines at the top says: "WXGA 1920x1080 Resolution". I don't know about you, but when I read "WXGA", I read progressive resolution for PC (aka VGA/DVI connector).

I guess we'll know for sure in less than a month. :)

-eric
post #120 of 951 Old 07-21-2005, 08:31 AM

WXGA

Short for Wide XGA, WXGA is a video resolution that supports a max resolution of 1366 horizontal pixels by 768 vertical pixels.

Not a good sign for 1080p? Or is there something I am missing. That was jsut from google.
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page