post #181 of 922 Old 08-11-2005, 02:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001
Heheeh, yah its confusing.

The V series was the name of the series of televisions. they changed the name to XBR,

Xbr is there top of the line tvs, except the qualia line.

so to answer your question

the v series is the exact same as teh xbr but now it only known as teh XBR
Much obliged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 922 Old 08-11-2005, 06:56 AM

i believe that no reviews exist of the 32 inch version of the s series, and no reviews of the v series either.

is this true... anyone seen a review or can buy one of these suckers and review it for us :) ???

krlock2

That's some bad hat, Harry.
post #183 of 922 Old 08-11-2005, 07:33 AM

saw a display model v series 32" yesterday - amazing. cant wait to see the 40"

pricing will be interesting, especially up against the sharp. I think until these sony's are released, the sharp is still the model to beat in terms of pq. looking forward to the reviews.

they are talking Oct release in Australia with a 46" model coming out in Jan.

cheers,

julie
post #184 of 922 Old 08-12-2005, 08:56 PM

This wait is killing me. I bought the 26" Samsung LCD a couple weeks ago at BB and have not been exactly impressed. I'm more than willing to trade up to the V26 from Sony, but not being able to know when and who will be selling them sucks.

I spoke to a sales manager in the video section of my local BB, but he was clueless as to the new V series, or even what new product the store would be getting. I only have 2 weeks left to be able to return the Sammy...any advice?

Panasonic 50ST60 | Oppo BDP-103 | Marantz SR5008 | KEF KHT-3005 | BlueJeansCable
post #185 of 922 Old 08-12-2005, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi46
This wait is killing me. I bought the 26" Samsung LCD a couple weeks ago at BB and have not been exactly impressed. [ snip ] I only have 2 weeks left to be able to return the Sammy...any advice?
Yes. I advise you to return it. If you aren't impressed then you're not likely to be satisfied in the long run. You'll probably always regret keeping it if you're not delighted with it now. These things cost too much $$ to not be happy. You're better off seeing what comes next. Consider your experience research.
post #186 of 922 Old 08-13-2005, 04:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
yah I would definitly return the Samsung.

I am sure teh sony s6 inch will be stunning
post #187 of 922 Old 08-13-2005, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Take the Samsung back. I'd be shocked if the Sony wasn't a lot better than it.

David Mackenzie
DVD/BD Compressionist/Author
Reviewer & Tech Consultant, HDTVtest
post #188 of 922 Old 08-13-2005, 06:18 AM

Quote:
This wait is killing me. I bought the 26" Samsung LCD a couple weeks ago at BB and have not been exactly impressed. I'm more than willing to trade up to the V26 from Sony, but not being able to know when and who will be selling them sucks.

I spoke to a sales manager in the video section of my local BB, but he was clueless as to the new V series, or even what new product the store would be getting. I only have 2 weeks left to be able to return the Sammy...any advice?

FWIW, you might want to stop by Costco or BA and check out the Philips 32" and 37" LCD HD Televisions. After much deliberation, research and viewing time in stores, I found the Philips 37" (the one I bought) to really be a standout in PQ! Every time I've been looking at them in the Costco stores, a crowd quickly formed and it was mutually agreed that the Philips had the nicest picture of them all (Sharp notwithstanding, but still in the same league).

I also have a Westinghouse 37", but use it primarily as a monitor for my Powerbook. The Philips was a much nicer picture for watching HD, DVD's or even SDTV, has a HD tuner, Cablecard slot, tons of inputs... and can be had for well under 3k. I think the 32" is an even better deal if that's the size you're looking for.

Just keep in mind that only Westinghouse (among those mentioned) is a true 1080p capable set (ie. the reason for using it as a computer monitor).

Good luck to you and let us know how it all works out for you.

Cheers... :)

P.S. I would agree with the others. If you're not that impressed with the Samsung, return it while you are able. Buyers remorse sucks, especially considering the rapidly changing landscape of this industry. "Not happy with what's available in the marketplace right now, wait a week or two, it's bound to change". :D
post #189 of 922 Old 08-13-2005, 09:18 AM

Saw 32 sony last night and it is pretty good. But I would still got for plasa...
post #190 of 922 Old 08-13-2005, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

ld100 which sony did you see the s series or the xbr series
post #191 of 922 Old 08-14-2005, 03:10 PM

I just brought home and Installed a Sony S32A10. I bought it from Sears, yes Sears!, for $1799. The box was flown in via Northwest Air Cargo to JFK just two days before pickup (freight label still on box at pick-up) so this puppy was soooo new and fresh...

I also own a Sharp 26GA5U, so i think I am pretty qualified on giving this opinion:

The new standard-bearer for LCD TV's is Sony, especially with a 32" set at $1799. First, Sharp is the only other make that stands anywhere near Sony now. The picture in the 26GA5U could be better than the new s sony in some scenes (Stills and cartoons perhaps) as i feel the color accuracy/depth there is superior. BUT, and a big but, the Sony eats Sharps lunch in overall definition and fast-action resolution. Even from a non-HD composite video cable-box hookup, the Sony showed virtually no "blocking", pixellation or "artifacting" from sports or action movies. This was pretty incredible to witness. When I hooked the HDMI into the HD-DVR, FUHGEDDABOUTIT.... Serious arousal as I, for the first time, truly realized how far the human specie has evolved.

Also, this S Sony is perfectly designed and crafted. The design morons at Sharp better get those non-detachable side speakers of their non-atsc sets as this is the reason I even considered switching brands. 39" width on a 32" set just ain't gonna cut on most folks walls, AV centers, etc... WEGA gate is da' bomb. Easily the most intuitive and friendly set-up/adjuster i have ever used.

Current LCD rankings: 1. Sony 2. Sharp 3. Panasonic 4. Samsung (a distant 4th I might add. The most oversaturated color i have ever seen. you will get a headache within hours of watching 'em.)

DoubleL
post #192 of 922 Old 08-14-2005, 03:20 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the review double 9!
post #193 of 922 Old 08-14-2005, 06:48 PM

Any new information on the XBR models? I now see it (40") listed with a few more online vendors, but their pricing is much higher than what was posted as the expected MSRPs.
Anyone heard of Walts.com?

They better not have changed it. This is the one for me.....just in time for football season.
post #194 of 922 Old 08-14-2005, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001
ld100 which sony did you see the s series or the xbr series

S. At a local Sony style store in Boston.
post #195 of 922 Old 08-14-2005, 10:03 PM

Well I just saw the Sony 32" S-series at my local BB. It was set up next to the 37" panny plasma which I think is one of the sharpest pictures around. First let me just say that this is the best picture I have ever seen from any LCD!! Now some people like the picture from an LCD and some people prefer the picture from a plasma. I am an LCD fan! At first the black levels on this TV were disappointing. However the TV was set to Vivid Mode and after ajusting the backlight and setting it to normal mode it displayed black very good. Now it was not as good as the Panny plasma with black, but for me it was more then acceptable. The colors seemed very natural and I could not discern any color push, so I think calibrating this set should be easy. The WegaGate is the easiest most intuitive interface I have ever used. Most LCD's look a little soft next to a Panny plasma, but not this Sony. I could not see any loss of detail in comparison to the Panisonic! This is the sharpest picture I have seen from any lcd. I know that comparison in a store is not ideal, but that is what I have to go on right now, and if the 40" V-series Sony looks this good then my long search for a TV will finally be over! I can hardly wait to see the 40" now, I just hope they don't raise the price or delay the arrival. I also know this is the same panel as the LNR Samsung 32" but the Sony image looks much better to me. The Sony image software is far superior to Sammys DNIe in my opinion. Not that the sammy is bad, just I prefer the Sony image. :p

PS. The JVC 40" was also nearby and the PQ was very good, but the interface sucked! I also read that the connections are a bit confusing(don't know)?
post #196 of 922 Old 08-15-2005, 12:21 AM

it makes me annoyed that wega gate is not available in europe. they have replaced it with "another menu" which basically just means the previous generation one. oh well, its to be expected over here.

i am a massive sony fan but i think i will be having a closer look at the new phillips sets expected here next month. 1920 x 1080, thats probably a first for europe.

krlock2

post #197 of 922 Old 08-15-2005, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krlock2
i am a massive sony fan but i think i will be having a closer look at the new phillips sets expected here next month. 1920 x 1080, thats probably a first for europe.

krlock2
Could you be more specific with regards to the Phillips set? And is that 1920 x 1080p or i? If it's progressive, then surely it's going to cost a small fortune.
post #198 of 922 Old 08-15-2005, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookySpur
and if the 40" V-series Sony looks this good then my long search for a TV will finally be over! I can hardly wait to see the 40" now...
No kidding. I've been researching almost two years now. I think it's about time. What about you, Spooky? How long you been holding out?
post #199 of 922 Old 08-15-2005, 06:03 AM

here is a link to a data sheet about the new philips. CHF 6000 is about the price i think here in switzerland.

http://www.azone.ch/pdf/Philips-37PF9830.pdf

post #200 of 922 Old 08-15-2005, 06:30 AM

im concerned that by the end of the year, there will be a lot more 1920 x 1080 sets around and these will be more future proof.

sony has been really late to market with their hdmi stuff. now that philips is coming with their 1080 sets, i wish sony had released theirs in this resolution too.

post #201 of 922 Old 08-15-2005, 08:48 AM

Wow iBleedGarnet you sound just like me! It has been about 2 years, but the first year was just dreaming because of the price and my lack of the money, oh and trying to convince the wife to spend that kind of money on a TV. I started seriously looking about this time last year, and I think I visit about 10 stores a week (very sad :( , big looser). I have become the expert for all my co-workers, they ask me what to buy. Yet I keep waiting :mad: . Let's hope the Sony 40" ends our long wait :) .
post #202 of 922 Old 08-15-2005, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I am in the same boat and an now seriously considering the Philips 26'' at CC. awesome price...maybe shall get it home and check it out. Right now I cannot see the sony 26'' at a B&M store..so that I can compare...if u do get to see it someplace..please keep us (me) posted.

Quote:

post #203 of 922 Old 08-15-2005, 10:02 AM

Spooky, there must be an echo in here because our situations are all too familiar. I actually bought a Panny 37px50u when they first came out, but took it back because I wasn't sure this was the right one for me. Plus, I paid MSRP for it and that irked me a lot. I pay full price for nothing. :p

I'm not all hung up on 1080p so no sense in waiting. Just been waiting on the right TV with the perfect aesthetics (I'd probably own the pd50u if the bezel were black). I've not bought a TV since the early '90s and when I finally decide, the wife and I MUST love it, and I'd like for others to enjoy it, too. I guess that's why I took back the 37 incher. It was nice, but for my peace of mind, I've at least gotta start in the 40-inch category.

Oh, since the announcement of the XBR series, I've quit going into stores. But before that, I was a regular at CC and BB during my lunch hours. I'm sure they're glad they don't have to entertain me anymore..........for now, at least. :D
post #204 of 922 Old 08-15-2005, 10:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

for me I am very happy with the resolution of these sonys.

the big wuestion will be will we be able to see a diffrence between 1366 x 768, and 1920 x 1080 on these screen sizes
post #205 of 922 Old 08-15-2005, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krlock2
here is a link to a data sheet about the new philips. CHF 6000 is about the price i think here in switzerland.

http://www.azone.ch/pdf/Philips-37PF9830.pdf
What kind of differences can we expect compared to the existing 37PF9986?

EDIT: Roughly I mean.
post #206 of 922 Old 08-15-2005, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

FWIW, I was in my local BB yesterday to look at the KLV-S32A10 and it had a better overall resolution, especially on closer images, than the 37" Pioneer next to it.

No deal on the price - $1999. I asked the sp about matching prices and he said that they would not match internet prices; only brick & mortar prices from no more than approximately 30 miles away!

I just wish the Sony would have made this series in a 37" size as well.
post #207 of 922 Old 08-15-2005, 02:56 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.B. Forrest
FWIW, I was in my local BB yesterday to look at the KLV-S32A10 and it had a better overall resolution, especially on closer images, than the 37" Pioneer next to it.

No deal on the price - $1999. I asked the sp about matching prices and he said that they would not match internet prices; only brick & mortar prices from no more than approximately 30 miles away!

I just wish the Sony would have made this series in a 37" size as well.
Just seen this today at BB aswell.. Was pretty impressed with the Sony's PQ..Nice, natural color tones.. No red push like the Sammy's.. Also the picture was sharper then the 37inch Sharp next to it... Was better looking upclose then the Panny ED due to the Panny's SDE..But the Panny still had the more vibrant colors & better blacks..Still, I'm impressed with Sony's 32inch offering.. If only had had two component input though..

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #208 of 922 Old 08-15-2005, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 62
KBI, the V-Series has 3 Component inputs.

David Mackenzie
DVD/BD Compressionist/Author
Reviewer & Tech Consultant, HDTVtest
post #209 of 922 Old 08-15-2005, 06:04 PM
KBI
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyris
KBI, the V-Series has 3 Component inputs.
The new Sony line of LCDS?? The two different 32inch models (MSRP 2,000 & 2,400) have only 1 component input.. I read the specs at crutchfield & Sony.. Unless it's another model we are discussing?

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...me=specs&var2=

The #1 spot for gaming headphones/headsets/Mic mods/DH 5.1/links & more.
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/...494101?sk=info
post #210 of 922 Old 08-15-2005, 06:05 PM

Saw the Sony 32 at a Tweeter's in Southlake today near DFW airport. I agree with the assessment about it's picture quality. I am very impressed as well. By the way, that Phillips 1080p model may have appeared in last night's episode of Six Feet Under last night on HBO. Also at Tweeter's saw Samsung 1080 DLP for the first time along with Sony's new A10 RP LCDs. Qualia 006 coming there soon at $2K off.
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page