Sharp aquos model confusion - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #421 of 431 Old 12-11-2005, 08:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the info. I thought that it must have an ATSC but was confused by the Sharp rep who didn't know what she was talking about. I also appreciate the info regarding the impossibility of combining a cable and ota signal into the same input. I'm still a little confused about that one because the lc26d6u has three spots on the back to screw on the antenna or cable "'f" connector (I'm sure there are other inputs, but I'm only concerned about hooking up standard cable or an antenna). The three inpts are "air only", "cable only", and "air/cable". I presently have the cable plugged intb the "air/cable" input and I get my regular cable channels. But the picture is only ok and I very much suspect that its a weak or crimped signal from my cable line. I have this problem with all my other tvs in the house and the only outstanding picture that I get is on the 10-12 HD channels that my cable company offers. I don't have my cable card just yet, but I presume that the designated HD channels will be very good on my new LCD also. I just thought that maybe I would also hook up an antenna to the set in addition to the cable and that I might get whatever channels that are in my market that are broadcasting HD over the air. That way, if the cable went out or I just found a better picture over the air than through cable, I would have that choice. I assume there must be some way to do this, but I haven't yet figured it out. Any advice?

Also, my lc26d6u has already froze up several times and has turned itself off a few times. It is well ventilated. I think thats odd since I've only used it for two days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 431 Old 12-25-2005, 06:16 PM

If I buy a LC32DA5U, will I be able to hook it up and use it as a pc display??
post #423 of 431 Old 01-20-2006, 11:01 AM

This thread was educational to say the least. Thanks guys!

I'm curious if there are any updates on what is coming in '06?

From Sharp's website it appears the 4/6du and 5/7du are all still available, with the 6 being the newest, and the 7 still the top of th line?

It's interesting that they put a notice on the 7 sayin you should really buy it from an authorized reseeler and not online. :) but don't say anything like that for the 4/5/6?

Personally I'm trying to decide between the 6 and 7, and between 32" and 37". (I'm also looking at the 32pf7320 and 37pf7320 from Philips.) From what I read here other than the exterior and the DVI input, there doesn't seem to be much difference between the 6 and 7.

If you were buying today, between the 6 and 7 which would you prefer and why?

What Picture in Picture modes do these offer? Any difference here?

I don't want to hijack a Sharp Thread, but I'd be intersted in opinions of the Philips [or any other comparable (features/pricewise) set ] models. PM me if you'd rather not post here.

-Kyle
post #424 of 431 Old 01-22-2006, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The 37D6U and 37D4U are the newer models released Sept 2005. They replaced the 37D7U and 37D5U released in April 2005. The 2006 models are 37D90U (with 1080P) is due in May and the 37D40U is due in March.

Click For My Website - www.E55AMG.com

post #425 of 431 Old 01-24-2006, 04:04 PM

Throughout this post many have discussed the difference between the different models. Most have focused on the technical differences. We have the 26D6U. Apart from the lockout problem that we DID experience, my girlfriend is really satisfied with a feature difference between the 6U and 7U: TV Guide. We use a cable card. The 6U doesn't have the built in TV Guide and the cable TV Guide won't work with cable card (the cable company really tried to steer us against the card but I love not having the box). Although the channel will normally appear at the top of the screen, I have to guess at what I'm watching. If you are a channel flipper like me and you always want to know what you are watching (like we do) then the TV guide feature on the 7U or other LCDs is a feature you should make sure you get.
post #426 of 431 Old 01-24-2006, 04:05 PM

Throughout this post many have discussed the difference between the different models. Most have focused on the technical differences. We have the 26D6U. Apart from the lockout problem that we DID experience, my girlfriend is really dissatisfied with a feature difference between the 6U and 7U: TV Guide. We use a cable card. The 6U doesn't have the built in TV Guide and the cable TV Guide won't work with cable card (the cable company really tried to steer us against the card but I love not having the box). Although the channel will normally appear at the top of the screen, I have to guess at what I'm watching. If you are a channel flipper like me and you always want to know what you are watching (like we do) then the TV guide feature on the 7U or other LCDs is a feature you should make sure you get.
post #427 of 431 Old 01-31-2006, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike53
The US Govt requires a digital OTA (Off The Air) tuner on all sets 36" and above as of July 1, 2005. The other deadline moves up to March 2006. ATSC is off air only. That is all that is required to pass govt regulations as regards to HD sets. If you make a monitor only with no tuners of any kind, it is exempt. The cable tuners (POD, QAM, CableCard) are extras that the US Govt didn't even think about. Considering that somewhere north of 75% gets their TV signals off cable, I'd say they missed the boat. By the way the requirement is for the TV manufacturers. The TV stations to date have no set hard date to give the analog spectrum back which Bill Clinton put in the budget when he was Prez. There is a loose rule that says when the area in which a TV station operates reaches 85% DTV penetration they can turn the analog off.

Maybe on the D5 we are being too smart. The spec says it has Digital cable ready with cablecard slot. We are assuming that you would know it has the other lesser tuners in addition to the fancy ones. Here's the quote from the website:

Digital Cable Ready with CableCARDâ„¢ Slot

enables an easy connection to HDTV channels on compatible cable TV systems without the need for a separate set-top box.

On the page of detailed specs it refers to the Analog/Digital tuners.
Mike:

On a recent trip to a Best Buy, I was able to see a Sharpe 45" in action. It was mounted on a wall, next to about five 50" Plasmas, from Panasonic, Phillips, Pioneer, Samsung. Without exception, the pictures on the Plasmas were significantly better, with richer, brighter colors. The Sharpe almost looked wasked out, as if the brightness was way too high. I hadn't noticed this huge difference on the 37", or on LCD's from other manufacturers.

Could this set have been set up improperly, or were my expectations too high.

The model number was LC45GD5U, which, along with the LC45GD7U, are the models being marketed here in Canada.

Thanks.
post #428 of 431 Old 02-19-2006, 05:04 PM

Are there any commercially available models for which I can still get DVI input? The two models available at our local retailer (Best Buy) are the LC-37D4U and the LC-37DB5U ... do either of these models have the DVI input? I assume neither have the external AVC box - how far back do I need to go to get that - the D5U? We have a 32D5U and love it - want another AQOUS ... but the DVI and AVC box were two features that really set it apart when we bought it. Thanks!
post #429 of 431 Old 02-20-2006, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RusselV
Are there any commercially available models for which I can still get DVI input? The two models available at our local retailer (Best Buy) are the LC-37D4U and the LC-37DB5U ... do either of these models have the DVI input? I assume neither have the external AVC box - how far back do I need to go to get that - the D5U? We have a 32D5U and love it - want another AQOUS ... but the DVI and AVC box were two features that really set it apart when we bought it. Thanks!
HUH! What AVC box? You have an AVC box with a Sharp LC-32D5U? Check that model number again. That model does not have an AVC box.

There may still be some around at small merchants. For a DVI connection look for the Spring 2005 release of:

LC-37D7U
LC-37D5U
LC-37GB5U

For a AVC, DVI but no ATSC tuner you have to go back to 2004 models:

LC-37G4U

post #430 of 431 Old 02-25-2006, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Busch
1. Not exactly. While the panel upconverts to 1080p for display, none of the inputs will accept a native 1080p signal. Instead they only support 1080i.
2. Correct.
3. Correct.
This leads me to my question.
Do ANY of the displays in the Aquos line support 1080p signals?
post #431 of 431 Old 02-26-2006, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawb3t3a
This leads me to my question.
Do ANY of the displays in the Aquos line support 1080p signals?
All their 45 inches are advertised for 1080P as well as their first 37 inch model - LC-37D90U, due in a couple months.

JVC has 1080p 40" model.

Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page