Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 431 Old 07-12-2005, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike53
No difference whatsoever, other than model number. Boxed especially for Costco.
Mike,
Is this something that Costco will carry for a while? What I mean is, I just think they got this, but will they always carry the Aquos line, esp the 32"? I am looking to get the one Costco has, but I am a few months away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 431 Old 07-12-2005, 05:47 PM

Liked: 10
After looking at the specs on all the different models, I notices that only the newest boast HDCP DVI and HDMI. Does this mean that the older units are not HDCP compatible and should be stayed away from??
post #93 of 431 Old 07-12-2005, 05:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Sharp has been overpricing LCD TVs from day one. I'm not saying anything about the quality, they might be great, but don't expect a reasonable cost from Sharp. For instance, their 32" is quite a bit more expensive than the Westinghouse 37". Is it better, probably. But in my opinion with HD resolution (and even DVDs) size is important. Get the biggest you can afford. And if you need a small LCD, for something like your bedroom, by all means save your money and get a cheapo.

My price point is 42" LCD flat panel for under 2K. I would really like this for under 1.5K. I think it is a darn good time to wait.

The plasma stores are artificially holding the price of these flat panel TVs too high. People should balk and stop paying the higher prices.
post #94 of 431 Old 07-12-2005, 06:06 PM

I just got the costco version, there were only 2 left, and I bet they won't last very much longer. I will be returning my d5u to the local B&M. The image quality seems the same. I wasn't using the extra features on the D5u so I'll be saving a lot of money with this switch. Costco rules!
post #95 of 431 Old 07-12-2005, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike777
Is it better, probably. But in my opinion with HD resolution (and even DVDs) size is important. Get the biggest you can afford. And if you need a small LCD, for something like your bedroom, by all means save your money and get a cheapo.

My price point is 42" LCD flat panel for under 2K. I would really like this for under 1.5K. I think it is a darn good time to wait.
It's all about the individual. For some 2k isn't that much money, for others it's a lot. For some, 32" is small, for others 32" is large. For my house 32" is big enough to anchor a home theatre, so it's quality better be good. Believe me, we tried a 42 incher and it was way too big. In the bedroom we have a cheapo 26" that does the job well.
post #96 of 431 Old 07-13-2005, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironfinger
I just got the costco version, there were only 2 left, and I bet they won't last very much longer. I will be returning my d5u to the local B&M. The image quality seems the same. I wasn't using the extra features on the D5u so I'll be saving a lot of money with this switch. Costco rules!
After much research and following this thread, I went to my local Costco store on Monday 11 July 2005 looking for the LCG5C32U, which has been prominently displayed on their web site. They didn't have any and never heard of it. Luckily I found someone who was willing to help ... and they determined that they were going to receive eight that night. Rang them up on Tuesday morning to check and indeed the units came in. They had one up for display and two available in boxes. Their inventory was quickly depleted by one!

In comparison to a number of other units I'm quite impressed with this 32-inch Sharp AQUOS monitor. Sure, you can get quite a few other monitors similarly sized at much less cost - but from my experience the current lower priced units don't compare.

I'm using the LCG5C32U in the bedroom with an LG LST-3100A ATSC tuner for off-air HD programming and a cable company provided set top box.

Thanks to everyone in this thread, especially Mike, for helping understand the complexities of Sharps model and part numbers.
post #97 of 431 Old 07-14-2005, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike53
You can buy a D6 in Sep, a D7 now or a GD6 now. All those have Titanium finish and bottom detachable speakers. Happy 4th.......... you missed a spot on the hedge! You were trying to shape a duck right?? :D
Mike -
In trying to get information about the possible inclusion of the LG 5th Generation Chip in the new D6 model, I e-mailed Sharp and received a reply which told me to call the 800 number - which I have just done.

You have more information available than the Internet site and the 800 rep (who couldn't have been nicer) combined.

In our conversation, I talked about the new D6 having some new additions to the D7 and also losing some - such as TV Guide and a DVI input.

I talked about the bottom speakers being removable as is the D7's, and to my amazement, the rep unequivocally told me that the information on the Sharp Web site and on dealers' sites is wrong! The D7 does not have bottom removable speakers!

I have downloaded the instruction manual for the D7, and sure enough, it states that the speakers cannot be removed.

I'm thoroughly confused.

Who's right and who's wrong?

Gary
post #98 of 431 Old 07-14-2005, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

How long has the LC-G5C32U been available at Costco?

More to the point, will it still be offered next month when I'm in Oregon (no sales tax)?

Or will it be like many Costco items: buy it now, or forget it?
post #99 of 431 Old 07-14-2005, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Shakespeare
How long has the LC-G5C32U been available at Costco?

More to the point, will it still be offered next month when I'm in Oregon (no sales tax)?

Or will it be like many Costco items: buy it now, or forget it?
I was wondering the same thig. This is exactly what I was hoping to get and the price is right, just I am a couple of months away from being able to buy it. Hopefully they will carry the Aquos line till the end of the year
post #100 of 431 Old 07-14-2005, 06:28 PM

The Costco price looked good to me also. I went to my local store and the only thing they had was the 26" Aquos. The picture looked really bad. There was also a Circuit City & and Best Buy in the same area so I went to CC next and they had the 32" Aquos. I was still unimpressed. The Panny & Pioneer Plasmas looked so much better, but right now I wanted something I can use as a computer monitor and TV and the LCDs work better for this.

I had decided the Aquos just didn't look good enough but stopped by Best Buy just to see what they had. Here the Aquos looked much better. Not quite as good as the Plasma, but very good. I went ahead and ordered one on Costco website and had it shipped to my lakehouse in Arkansas with no shipping cost or sales tax. Here in Tennessee I would have had to pay 9.25 percent tax. If it ends up looking like the one at Circuit City or the 26" at Costco I will return it for a refund.

Even the one at Best Buy had poor reds but overall looked good. I thing with Avia or DVE any of these sets could be improved quite a bit.

At this price I would not be surprised to see Costco sell out and with the new models coming out, possibly a slim window of opportunity to get one of these. The set at CC was on sale for $2299. I think BB had it for about $100 cheaper.
post #101 of 431 Old 07-15-2005, 10:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 268
I saw the Sharp 32 at Costco today: they had several in stock but I would expect they won't last long at the price

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #102 of 431 Old 07-15-2005, 02:08 PM

Is the HDMI-HDCP compliant on these?
post #103 of 431 Old 07-15-2005, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdchrgrboy
Is the HDMI-HDCP compliant on these?
Yes ;)

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #104 of 431 Old 07-15-2005, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin
Yes ;)
Great, thank you
post #105 of 431 Old 07-16-2005, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I think I've answered my own question concerning if the D7U has a removable speaker assembly.

I found a post dated 5-20-05 from Mike53, the Sharpmaven commenting about the D7U's manual claiming that the speaker assembly in not removable:

"That is probably a carryover from the LC32D5U manual.
It is fully removable."

So, the manual is wrong as is the very nice CSR at Sharp with whom I spoke.

Gary
post #106 of 431 Old 07-16-2005, 02:09 PM

Thanks for all the info on the LCG5C32U (esp Mike), I got one yesterday and the picture looks really good for the HD channels and DVD. The non-hd channels are kinda of poor, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the settings for digital cable. I know that non-hd signals can’t look as good as hd signals but some calibration can definitely help. The reds are too prominent and the picture is not crisp (highly pixelated). Any help would be highly appreciated.
post #107 of 431 Old 07-16-2005, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alive
Thanks for all the info on the LCG5C32U (esp Mike), I got one yesterday and the picture looks really good for the HD channels and DVD. The non-hd channels are kinda of poor, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the settings for digital cable. I know that non-hd signals can’t look as good as hd signals but some calibration can definitely help. The reds are too prominent and the picture is not crisp (highly pixelated). Any help would be highly appreciated.
You could try changing the color temp settings - that may help somewhat with the reds. I'd have to re-read the manual, but I think I read that the setting is sticky for each input - which would probably make sense ... as the colour space for HDTV may be different than your cable box.

On my set I too noticed quite a difference in the quality level of some of the SD content from my cable box. Many of the analog channels look pretty poor ... including one that's a regional news channel that is delivered to the local cable company via fibre (and of course, digital). My guess in this case - a quality problem with the local analog delivery. Some of the digital tier (SD) channels actually look pretty good. I'd also be cautious of sitting too close ... that may just help you "see" the problems ...
post #108 of 431 Old 07-16-2005, 03:12 PM
Advanced Member

I picked up the LCG5C32U today. If there are any available in Oregon in five weeks when I'm in Medford, I suppose I could pick up another and return it to the California Costco under today's receipt, thus saving myself sales tax.

It's 105 outside and probably 150 in the attic crawlspace. I think I'll leave the Directv and OTA connections until tomorrow morning.
post #109 of 431 Old 07-16-2005, 08:05 PM

Is there anyway I can make the text look better when using this tv as a pc monitor??
post #110 of 431 Old 07-16-2005, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Use DVI input and set "View Mode" to "Dot by Dot"
post #111 of 431 Old 07-17-2005, 11:31 AM

Do any of the sharp AQUOS models come with optical out or are any of the new models that are coming out in sept/oct have an optical out?
I have my Dolby Headphones(Pioneer SE-DIR800C) hooked up to my xbox with a optical cable through Monster cables and I understand that when the new X360 comes out the cables for the xbox won't be compatible.
post #112 of 431 Old 07-17-2005, 11:42 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
My 26GD4U has an optical audio output. As far as I Know, all of the Sharp models
that have an integrated ATSC tuner also have an optical audio output. OTOH, I think
that the only signal available on the optical audio output is the audio from the
internal tuner(s). So I don't know if this gains you anything with your XBox.

EDIT: It appears (based on other posts further down) that audio from the analog inputs IS converted
to digital and passed through the optical audio output. :o

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #113 of 431 Old 07-17-2005, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

I've never had the opportunity to test this (anyone wanna give me an HDMI source device :p ), but wouldn't the audio from an HDMI input be passed to the optical output?

Phoenix
post #114 of 431 Old 07-17-2005, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711
OTOH, I think
that the only signal available on the optical audio output is the audio from the
internal tuner(s). So I don't know if this gains you anything with your XBox.
On my 45" Sharp, the analog audio input for the svideo port are converted to PCM and sent out on the Sharp digital audio out. I assume it would do this for all the ports. When I tested with HDMI using Panasonic S77 DVD player, with HDMI from DVD player to Sharp 45", the digital out of Sharp was sending PCM to receiver. I had the DVD player configured to send DD/DTS bitstream via the DVD player digital out direct to my receiver (which it does fine), but there was no config for what was sent over the HDMI audio channel to the TV, so I don't know if 5.1 was being sent to Sharp and being downconverted or PCM was being sent to Sharp.
post #115 of 431 Old 07-18-2005, 11:59 AM

So i thank everyone for the bevy of information on the Sharp 32" LCDs...

But i have a few more questions i'd like to ask...

What will the replacement for the LC-G5C32U be?
Will it be available in august? (i'm looking to buy in august/sept)
Does anyone know if Costco will have the replacement available?
Also does anyone know the price range on the new 37" ?

Any input would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks !!

PS: as a side question... what else would be necessary to make both HD and non HD broadcasts look good on the TV set...
post #116 of 431 Old 07-18-2005, 12:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieToHDTV
PS: as a side question... what else would be necessary to make both HD and non HD broadcasts look good on the TV set...

An HD receiver. A cailbration disc (DVE or Avia). An ISF calibration? A better SD signal than either D* or E* provides. :eek:
post #117 of 431 Old 07-18-2005, 03:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieToHDTV
So i thank everyone for the bevy of information on the Sharp 32" LCDs...

But i have a few more questions i'd like to ask...

What will the replacement for the LC-G5C32U be?
Will it be available in august? (i'm looking to buy in august/sept)
Does anyone know if Costco will have the replacement available?
Also does anyone know the price range on the new 37" ?

Any input would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks !!

The similar model is the LC32GA5U and the successor model will be the LC32DA5U in August. The new 37" Sharp is around $2999 MSRP. A few hundred up or down depending on feature content.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
post #118 of 431 Old 07-18-2005, 11:32 PM

I got my 32" Aquos at Costco and hooked it up to a new DirecTV HR10-250 HD Tivo through HDMI at 1080i.

Picture was fine at first, but turning it on the second time, it was all pink -- bad news...HDMI failure on the Tivo. Not especially uncommon for this machine (unfortunately).

BUT, I noticed that when I switch the Tivo resolution the 720p, the problem goes away.

Don't know if this is an Aquos issue or a Tivo issue (I would guess the latter).

Any info or suggestions MUCH appreciated.
post #119 of 431 Old 07-18-2005, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

I had exactly the same experience last night with my new Costco set and the HD Tivo. So have many others at Tivo Community forums.

Seems to be a compatibility issue. The new "f" software may or may not fix the problem. My Tivo is still running the "e" software, waiting to be updated. I've had the Tivo output set at 720p and get the pink screen. Sometimes it's there when I turn the Sharp on, sometimes it's not. Usually disconnecting the HDMI cable behind the Tivo fixes the color, but not always. If it continues, I'll switch to component cables. I don't think this is the dreaded "dead door-nail HDMI port" for which the HR 10-250 is famous.
post #120 of 431 Old 07-19-2005, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkap
Picture was fine at first, but turning it on the second time, it was all pink -- bad news...HDMI failure on the Tivo. Not especially uncommon for this machine (unfortunately).

BUT, I noticed that when I switch the Tivo resolution the 720p, the problem goes away.
Apparently this problem has been going on a long time. The workaround, as you've found, is to change the TiVo resolution to 720p and back. There are probably other workarounds too, I'm just repeating what others have told me.
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page