post #181 of 850 Old 11-21-2005, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodeus
GautLSU

Thanks for the pictures. I was looking for a proper placement for a center channel speaker and like the smaller speaker just sitting on the front of the stand. I have a JBL center that is massive and hasn't made the cut with the new TV and furniture.

How'd the picture look with the weekend football games?

-Jody
Yeah I'm not quite sure what will happen with that speaker. I just kinda stuck it there for the meanwhile. I'll probably end up mounting it above the tv on the wall. And eventually I'll upgrade to something better than cheap sony speakers :p

And the weekend football games were drool-inspiring. The only dissapointment is that ESPN2 got the LSU-Ole Miss game and so it wasn't in HD. But I ended up watching a few other games I didn't really care about because they were so pretty. My friend who was leaving town this morning asked me to fire up the tv one more time on HD just so he could see it again before he left.

I still have yet to do a calibration. And I also haven't fiddled with the PC inputs yet (someone asked earlier).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 850 Old 11-21-2005, 05:20 PM

I've got an installation question on the Tosh 42. How is the base attached and can the TV be moved back to front on the stand?
post #183 of 850 Old 11-21-2005, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Can you change aspect ratios on HD programs on the HP95? Also, anyone have a PC hooked up and how is it?
post #184 of 850 Old 11-22-2005, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by brol
I've got an installation question on the Tosh 42. How is the base attached and can the TV be moved back to front on the stand?
Can the base be removed? The manual (available on the Canadian site) has no instructions for removing the base.
post #185 of 850 Old 11-22-2005, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Brol

The stand the 42HP95 comes with does not move and the TV can't move forward or back on it. I'm sure the stand comes off because how else would people mount it on the wall but I'm actually using the stand so I haven't looked to see how it is attached.

HD feeds can be changed using the 'stretch' modes.

-Jody

We are children of the future, maybe we're just passing through here, all depends on what you do here, under One Big Sky - Kansas
post #186 of 850 Old 11-22-2005, 10:56 AM

Quote:
No problem. Again, let us know how the TV is.

Oh, just wait until you get HD.......freaking awesome! I was watching cliff diving the other day...not that I like cliff diving, but it looked great on one of the HD channels.

-Jody
Just to drop a quick line on my Panny 42PX500 (those of you who have followed, I WAS intending to get the Toshiba this thread is titled after).

The new TV is awesome!!! Even watching SD stuff (digital channels on cable, haven't spent much time watching non-digital SD channels yet) is much nicer! Partly just because of the sheer increase in of the screen size (coming from 32" 4:3) and that the "Just" stretch mode works well enough for 4:3 source. I have been prepared for an actual decrease in viewing pleasure for the "old school" cable stuff, but I am gladly surprised ;) Watched a bit of DVD (in 480p) and colours are so vibrant (even against my old WEGA), picture details are nice and smooth, motion is also silky smooth... can't wait to get the "burn-in" period over with so I can turn back up the brightness!!!

Only thing missing now is the matching Panny stand!

That's all I'll say about the Panny in here... I shall wander to some appropriate threads for discussion and impresssions sharing on my particular set. Though I will stay subscribed to this thread coz I want to know how you all do with the Toshiba that I was gonna buy!

slider33, we shall PM if you wanna exchange more specific info since we are both in the GVRD ;)
post #187 of 850 Old 11-22-2005, 01:47 PM

I started a separate thread for this, but decided to post it here to. Hope no one minds.

Toshiba 42HP95 Pro/Am Review

First, let me say I am not a professional review writer. I’ve read a ton, but never really written one, so be gentle with the criticisms please. I have been doing TV and video repair for 24 years, but this is my first hands on with a plasma TV. I’m not trying to say whether this set is better or worse than any other, just giving my opinions and findings. I hope you find this useful and enjoyable.

Toshiba 42HP95 42†Plasma HDTV

Assembled in the USA
Build Date October 2005

Connected components:
Panasonic DVD-RV27 DVD player (non-progressive) via component input.
DirecTV HR10-250 High Definition Receiver via HDMI.
RF Input: Winegard YA-1713 Hi-band VHF and Winegard PR-9022 UHF antennas.
Test Disc: AVIA Guide to Home Theater
Test Equipment: Sencore VA62 Video Analyzer with VC62 NTSC Pattern Generator (used for evaluating the RF input)

Evaluation Discs:
Star Wars III
The Fifth Element
Spiderman
Monsters Inc
Finding Nemo

I find the design of the Toshiba 42HP95 to be somewhat different than most other plasma sets I looked at. The bezel, which doesn’t reach in all the way to the active portion of the panel, is what I’d call a charcoal-gray color surrounded by a silver cabinet. Between the bezel and the active portion of the panel is about a 1 inch strip of black glass, which is part of the panel itself. I like the look this gives without having an entirely black bezel. The speaker strip is mounted below the panel, and angles downward and out, almost like a type of horn configuration. This is a very unique look from what I saw.

The remote is fairly large and can control 6 separate devices. I would have preferred separate pushbuttons to select each device instead of having to cycle through the choices, but this does work. It is fully backlit and is easy to see in the dark. One annoyance my remote has is a high pitched squeal whenever the backlight is on. To change inputs you either cycle through the choices with the ‘Input’ button, or push the button and then select the input from an on-screen display. I found the menu system to be pretty easy to use.

The 42HP95 is fairly loaded with features. It has built in ATSC and QAM tuners with CableCard, a picture out of picture function, TV Guide On Screen, a memory card viewer, and 6 speaker sound to name a few. The inputs are probably enough for most people, although some may wish for 2 HDMI inputs. It comes with 2) RF inputs, 1) HDMI, 2) component, 2) composite AV/S-video, and a 15-pin analog RGB computer input. The outputs include composite video, 2) audio(fixed, 1 variable), digital optical audio, an IR blaster, and 2) IEEE 1394 ports for recording and playback with the Toshiba Symbio hard drive recorder.

And to go along with all those inputs it remembers the picture settings independently for each input. Just remember to select ‘DONE’ on the screen when you change a setting.

It also has 3:2 pulldown, 4 picture size choices (and it can stretch HD sources if you want to get rid of the black bars that are sent along with 4:3 content on hi-def channels), and 3 color temperature settings. The ‘TheaterWide 1’ stretch does a pretty good job on 4:3 programs, although the effect looks better on some types of programming than others. The other 2 ‘TheaterWide’ settings are more of a zoom mode.

The media card viewer I tested with a Compact Flash card, and it worked very well. The POP feature is OK for what it is, but I would prefer a standard full size picture with a smaller inset picture. I was also very pleased with digital reception, but I do have a good antenna setup, even though it is only on top of a single story house with an 8 foot mast. It brought in all the better powered stations from about 60 miles away.

So far I have been quite pleased with the performance of the 42HP95. The set has 3 preset video modes (Sports, Standard, Movie, and Preference). The ‘sports’ mode cranks the contrast all the way up and to me looks ridiculous. The ‘movie’ mode is a pretty good starting place for making your picture adjustments. When you change an adjustment, the mode switches to ‘preference’ and if you select done when you’re finished, that becomes the ‘preference’ setting for that input.

I used the AVIA disc to adjust the component input my DVD player was hooked to. I ended up using the ‘Medium’ color temperature. I do not have equipment to measure color temperature, but to my eyes the gray bars looked more neutral in that mode than in warm or cool. There are gray scale adjustments in the service menu for those who wish to have there sets gray scale calibrated. I found overscan on my set to be around 3% on the top and bottom, 5% on the left, and 2% right. But this varies by a small amount as the ‘picture shift’ long-life feature moves the picture position by a few pixels every so often. I found this feature almost unnoticeable during regular viewing.

The color decoder check on the AVIA disc showed Red at -5%, Green at 0%, and Blue between -5% to -10%. I should mention that I found the greenish-yellow colors to appear quite strong on some shows, so I wasn’t entirely surprised that the color decoder indicated that also. Although being within 5 to 10 percent is still pretty good.

As for the sharpness adjustment, I initially left it set at 50, but after checking it several times with the AVIA disc, I reduced the setting to 35. There is quite a jump form 19 to 20 and 34 to 35. The 35 setting introduces some edginess on test patterns, but the 20 setting was just too soft for my liking.

Since I have heard the 42HP95 uses a Panasonic plasma panel I was hoping for some good dark black levels, without loosing detail in the shadows. So far I have been quite pleased. With the correct adjustment I found very good, dark black levels, with good shadow detail. Comparing it to a calibrated 27†Sony Wega setting right next to it running the same movie they were very close. The blacks were almost equal, although the Sony seemed to show a little more detail. I found noise in the blacks to be very source dependent. DVD’s showed very clean blacks, with broadcast HD being good most of the time, and DirecTV ranged from good to only fair. I have seen only very minor false contouring or banding in blacks, gray, or any color, and that happened only rarely. When it did occur, it was usually on DirecTV HD.

Color and contrast are very good. Even after being properly adjusted, the picture shows excellent crispness and contrast.

I found broadcast HD of David Letterman and Jay Leno to set the standard for picture quality, being even better than DVD. Especially in clarity and detail. SD digital over the air ranges pretty wide in quality. DirecTV has an even wider range of quality, even among the HD channels. I felt even the best HD on DirecTV wasn’t as good as Letterman or Leno.

This Toshiba 42HP95 currently has a MSRP of $2999.00, but it is being highly discounted sometimes. Given the picture quality I have seen, and the features it has, I am very pleased with my purchase so far. Of course only time will really tell, especially about reliability.

Adjust this set properly, give it a great source, and it will give you a great picture.

My settings: (revised from original post after further use)

For all inputs:
Dynamic Contrast: Off
MPEG: Off
DNR: Off
Color Temp: Medium

Component:
Contrast 35
Brightness 69
Color 34
Tint 0
Sharpness 35

HDMI:
Contrast 35
Brightness 57
Color 34
Tint 0
Sharpness 35

RF 1:
Contrast 35
Brightness 58
Color 32
Tint 0
Sharpness 35

Thanks for reading!
Duke

Panasonic TH-50PZ800U Plasma
Toshiba 42HP95 Plasma
Panasonic DVD-S97S DVD Player
DirecTV HR20-100S Hi-Def DVR Satellite Receiver
post #188 of 850 Old 11-22-2005, 05:01 PM

Very well said MrDuke. I have been waiting for months for local stores to get the hpx95 into their stock. HH Gregg--an A/V store based in the Midwest--finally got them in stock this past weekend and had a 42" version on display hooked up to an HD DirecTV unit.

I spent almost an hour playing around with the settings and comparing it to a Panasonic 50u and Hitachi HDT52 sets at the store. I must say, after doing a couple of months of research on the px500 and the 5060hd, I was very impressed with the PQ of the Toshiba. The PQ was top notch on the Toshiba. I still can't get over it. I kept looking and looking for something so that I could say to myself "Ah, see. Pioneer is the better set. Or Panasonic is the better set." But after the hour there at the store, I honestly could not even come close to being able to say that.

The DirecTV feed at HH Gregg was showing the news on HDNet. I am not familiar with this channel, as I have cable, but I was assured that the channel was indeed being broadcast in HD. Overall, here are some of the main sticking points that I--along with a couple of the salesman--noticed. Static images on a couple of different scenes posed to be a problem for the Hitachi. The Hitachi had a fair amount of judder. On one of the scenes, the Panasonic 50u actually had some very bad false contouring. It looked bad enough to turn me off right away. but I know that Pansonic is a reference tool when comparing sets, so I kept watching.

Black levels and shadow detailing totally blew me away. I figured surely there would be some loss in shadows compared to other sets. Not so. The Toshiba blew them all away. Several scenes that had lots of black detail tended to be totally blacked out on the Panasonic, but showed great contrast and detail on the Toshiba. I thought it might be just a one shot deal, but it happened on many of the scenes in which I was specifically looking for difference in black levels. And the black levels weren't the only differences between the Panny and the Tosh. The colors on the Toshiba were much more vivid and bright. Not oversaturated by any stretch. Pioneers out of the box are good for that. I am talking just some very nice, rich colors. HH Gregg has all of the remotes to their TVs attached to the actual TV, so I was able to go into the settings on any of the sets I wanted. The scary thing is, the Panasonic was set to "dynamic" and was being blown away in both dark scenes and color rich scenes by the Toshiba, which was set on "standard". The only downside (in my eyes) that I could even think of is the that the Pioneer picture has a little more "pop" than the Toshiba does. But gosh, that's so minor who cares??!!

I don't know whether to be surprised or happy or disappointed or what when it comes to this set. I have been looking at the Panny 50px500 and the Pioneer 5060hd for months now, and have posted several posts both here and at www.cnet.com trying to compare the three and figure out which one to get. Up until today, I kind of had my mind set on the Pioneer with the Panny as my back-up choice. But now, man, I am honestly torn between the three. I was initially attracted to the Toshiba because of the dual HDMIs and memory card reader, but would never buy this set without checking out PQ. I do like, though, the separate media deck and "pop" that the Pioneer picture has to offer. Now I am officially in a total quandary. I have zero clue on which set I would purchase if pushed into a corner and forced to make a decision.

All I know is that this new hpx95 Toshiba is an outstanding looking set. The PQ, along with the abundant features of this set, make it an excellent package to consider. Those shopping the Panny and the Pioneer would be very well suited to give the Toshiba the same amount of attention that they are giving to both of those sets............

-Scott
post #189 of 850 Old 11-22-2005, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoscott
Very well said MrDuke. I have been waiting for months for local stores to get the hpx95 into their stock. HH Gregg--an A/V store based in the Midwest--finally got them in stock this past weekend and had a 42" version on display hooked up to an HD DirecTV unit.

I spent almost an hour playing around with the settings and comparing it to a Panasonic 50u and Hitachi HDT52 sets at the store. I must say, after doing a couple of months of research on the px500 and the 5060hd, I was very impressed with the PQ of the Toshiba. The PQ was top notch on the Toshiba. I still can't get over it. I kept looking and looking for something so that I could say to myself "Ah, see. Pioneer is the better set. Or Panasonic is the better set." But after the hour there at the store, I honestly could not even come close to being able to say that.

The DirecTV feed at HH Gregg was showing the news on HDNet. I am not familiar with this channel, as I have cable, but I was assured that the channel was indeed being broadcast in HD. Overall, here are some of the main sticking points that I--along with a couple of the salesman--noticed. Static images on a couple of different scenes posed to be a problem for the Hitachi. The Hitachi had a fair amount of judder. On one of the scenes, the Panasonic 50u actually had some very bad false contouring. It looked bad enough to turn me off right away. but I know that Pansonic is a reference tool when comparing sets, so I kept watching.

Black levels and shadow detailing totally blew me away. I figured surely there would be some loss in shadows compared to other sets. Not so. The Toshiba blew them all away. Several scenes that had lots of black detail tended to be totally blacked out on the Panasonic, but showed great contrast and detail on the Toshiba. I thought it might be just a one shot deal, but it happened on many of the scenes in which I was specifically looking for difference in black levels. And the black levels weren't the only differences between the Panny and the Tosh. The colors on the Toshiba were much more vivid and bright. Not oversaturated by any stretch. Pioneers out of the box are good for that. I am talking just some very nice, rich colors. HH Gregg has all of the remotes to their TVs attached to the actual TV, so I was able to go into the settings on any of the sets I wanted. The scary thing is, the Panasonic was set to "dynamic" and was being blown away in both dark scenes and color rich scenes by the Toshiba, which was set on "standard". The only downside (in my eyes) that I could even think of is the that the Pioneer picture has a little more "pop" than the Toshiba does. But gosh, that's so minor who cares??!!

I don't know whether to be surprised or happy or disappointed or what when it comes to this set. I have been looking at the Panny 50px500 and the Pioneer 5060hd for months now, and have posted several posts both here and at www.cnet.com trying to compare the three and figure out which one to get. Up until today, I kind of had my mind set on the Pioneer with the Panny as my back-up choice. But now, man, I am honestly torn between the three. I was initially attracted to the Toshiba because of the dual HDMIs and memory card reader, but would never buy this set without checking out PQ. I do like, though, the separate media deck and "pop" that the Pioneer picture has to offer. Now I am officially in a total quandary. I have zero clue on which set I would purchase if pushed into a corner and forced to make a decision.

All I know is that this new hpx95 Toshiba is an outstanding looking set. The PQ, along with the abundant features of this set, make it an excellent package to consider. Those shopping the Panny and the Pioneer would be very well suited to give the Toshiba the same amount of attention that they are giving to both of those sets............

-Scott
I had the same quandry and today I finally made up my mind...I went with the Tosh 50HPX95. The set is nice looking, has an abundance of features, the glass is made by Panasonic, the price was right, and I ordered today and it shipped today! I'm satisfied. Can't wait 'til next week when it gets delivered. :) Good luck in your decision.

You're never lost, because no matter where you go...There you are!
post #190 of 850 Old 11-22-2005, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow.... I've been waiting for a 42HPX95 here in Vancouver going on a month and you guys are certainly not making the wait any easier!!! It makes me feel a lot better though knowing this set seems to be as good as I hoped it would be. I still haven't seen one, but hopefully it's not far away.
post #191 of 850 Old 11-22-2005, 09:05 PM

Slider,

I checked out the hpx pretty thoroughly this evening. It always boils down to PQ. Great features, connectivity, etc. are all nice to have, but in the end, you're not watching an HDMI jack or a memory card reader. You're (hopefully) watching a nice picture on your TV.

The two big things that I still come back to from earlier tonight were the black levels and the color saturation. On a couple of the black scenes I was watching for some shadowing--or lack there of. One scene showed this old white barn on a pasture. In the background during a narration scene, there was an old covered wagon with red wheels. On the Toshiba, the red wheels really stood out and you could easily make out the spokes and bolts on the old wagon wheels. On the Panny, though, you could tell that the wheels were red, but there was no detail in the spokes or the bolts on the wheels. It was basically like it was just "filled in" for lack of better words. There just wasn't that sense of detail I was looking for. Again, we're talking some very minor details here, but again, this is why you compare these sets side by side---so you can get a true sense of what looks right and what doesn't. Am I saying that the Panny PQ isn't very good?? Hell no. It's a great set. But side by side on this one, the Toshiba flat out beat it.

Another scene that I was really watching involved the newscast being done on HDNet. During the sports segment, they were displaying the new AP college football top 25. They broke the display down into 5 team segments (1-5; 6-10, etc.). On each segment, there were stars in the background all over the screen. On the Panny, all you could see were the stars--which was fine, mind you. But on the Toshiba, you could make out that there was something else there. It was like "whispy clouds" that were woven throughout the screen with the stars ever so faintly. And no, it wasn't artifacting or anything weird like that. It was simply some nice imagery that the Panny, for whatever reason and however it does it, chose to block out and not show.

I had tentatively decided on the 5060hd, but now, I'm not so sure. I think between the 50px500, 5060hd, and the 50hpx95, those are 3 stellar choices. I will be going back to BB this weekend to re-check the 5060hd and rethink my decision process. This new Toshiba is THAT nice. Good reference info is very hard to find on this set--mainly because (1) it's brand new, (2) it's been on a big backorder, and (3) there is so much more loyalty to the Pannys and Pios. This set needs one of the big review sites to get a hold of it and let everyone else know about it. IMHO, I think it's one the nicest sets out there, if not the nicest.
post #192 of 850 Old 11-22-2005, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoscott
Slider,

I checked out the hpx pretty thoroughly this evening. It always boils down to PQ. Great features, connectivity, etc. are all nice to have, but in the end, you're not watching an HDMI jack or a memory card reader. You're (hopefully) watching a nice picture on your TV.

The two big things that I still come back to from earlier tonight were the black levels and the color saturation. On a couple of the black scenes I was watching for some shadowing--or lack there of. One scene showed this old white barn on a pasture. In the background during a narration scene, there was an old covered wagon with red wheels. On the Toshiba, the red wheels really stood out and you could easily make out the spokes and bolts on the old wagon wheels. On the Panny, though, you could tell that the wheels were red, but there was no detail in the spokes or the bolts on the wheels. It was basically like it was just "filled in" for lack of better words. There just wasn't that sense of detail I was looking for. Again, we're talking some very minor details here, but again, this is why you compare these sets side by side---so you can get a true sense of what looks right and what doesn't. Am I saying that the Panny PQ isn't very good?? Hell no. It's a great set. But side by side on this one, the Toshiba flat out beat it.

Another scene that I was really watching involved the newscast being done on HDNet. During the sports segment, they were displaying the new AP college football top 25. They broke the display down into 5 team segments (1-5; 6-10, etc.). On each segment, there were stars in the background all over the screen. On the Panny, all you could see were the stars--which was fine, mind you. But on the Toshiba, you could make out that there was something else there. It was like "whispy clouds" that were woven throughout the screen with the stars ever so faintly. And no, it wasn't artifacting or anything weird like that. It was simply some nice imagery that the Panny, for whatever reason and however it does it, chose to block out and not show.

I had tentatively decided on the 5060hd, but now, I'm not so sure. I think between the 50px500, 5060hd, and the 50hpx95, those are 3 stellar choices. I will be going back to BB this weekend to re-check the 5060hd and rethink my decision process. This new Toshiba is THAT nice. Good reference info is very hard to find on this set--mainly because (1) it's brand new, (2) it's been on a big backorder, and (3) there is so much more loyalty to the Pannys and Pios. This set needs one of the big review sites to get a hold of it and let everyone else know about it. IMHO, I think it's one the nicest sets out there, if not the nicest.

First of all, i have stated before and recently that i really like the Toshiba. Played with it next to a 500U many times and was impressed. Having said that, i would seriously doubt the Panny wouldn't pick up the "whispy clouds" and spokes etc. without a minor adjustment. I would hope that you would refrain from saying Panny "chose to block out" detail without getting into the settings and calibrating it since apparently it wasn't. I like your enthusiasm about the Toshiba but i am positively 100% certain the Panny is not blocking anything out once the set is properly tuned.
post #193 of 850 Old 11-23-2005, 04:41 AM

I realize that the title of this thread is about the HPX models, but the HP models are basically the same and I couldn't find a thread about those specifically so here goes my question:
I just got my 42HP95 yesterday and absolutely love it. I put Saving Private Ryan in the DVD player and was totally amazed. I picked up local HD on an antenna and still totally amazed. I am stretching the picture to fill the entire screen and I also lowered the brightness and contrast for the initial break-in period described in so many threads. I have read posts about pushing a sequence of buttons with the Panasonic and a screen pops up showing hours the TV has been on. Is there anything like this with the Toshiba or do I have to keep track on a piece of paper? Thanks for your help.
Damon
post #194 of 850 Old 11-23-2005, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Damon

Somehow this thread wound up being the "Official Toshiba 42HP95, 42HPX95, 50HP95, 50HPX95 thread.

I haven't found an item that will have the amount of hours used. There probably is a service menu but no one has posted how to get into it yet. Maybe now that there's several people on this board with these TVs we'll get that.

Let me tell you I put my contrast and brightness at around 35/40 for the first 100 hours and then used Avia to calibrate it. The calibrated settings aren't far off from the 40 mark so you're not missing a lot by putting the settings down during the initial 100 hours.

-Jody

We are children of the future, maybe we're just passing through here, all depends on what you do here, under One Big Sky - Kansas
post #195 of 850 Old 11-23-2005, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Damon

Somehow this thread wound up being the "Official Toshiba 42HP95, 42HPX95, 50HP95, 50HPX95 thread.

I haven't found an item that will have the amount of hours used. There probably is a service menu but no one has posted how to get into it yet. Maybe now that there's several people on this board with these TVs we'll get that.

Let me tell you I put my contrast and brightness at around 35/40 for the first 100 hours and then used Avia to calibrate it. The calibrated settings aren't far off from the 40 mark so you're not missing a lot by putting the settings down during the initial 100 hours.

-Jody
Jody,
I figured since I haven't found anything yet about the hours used it wasn't out there, but I thought I would try.
My initial settings are at 35 for the brightness and contrast. I was going from a 32'' tube and everything seemed really bright and right now 35 doesn't seem too bad. I imagine after the 100 hours or so I will calibrate it properly, but for now I am very happy. Thanks for your help
Damon
post #196 of 850 Old 11-23-2005, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr
First of all, i have stated before and recently that i really like the Toshiba. Played with it next to a 500U many times and was impressed. Having said that, i would seriously doubt the Panny wouldn't pick up the "whispy clouds" and spokes etc. without a minor adjustment. I would hope that you would refrain from saying Panny "chose to block out" detail without getting into the settings and calibrating it since apparently it wasn't. I like your enthusiasm about the Toshiba but i am positively 100% certain the Panny is not blocking anything out once the set is properly tuned.
Thanks for speaking up lipcrkr :)

You can see from my previous post, I was waiting for the HPX95 until I got a unspeakable (on AVS anyway, haha) deal on the PX500. I didn't hesitate at all going with the PX500 because like you say the PQ on the Panny cannot be worse than the Toshiba - given both sets are properly calibrated.

I am glad everyone is enjoying their Toshiba so much. I am enjoying my Panny at the same time, I watched the opening of The Matrix last night while brightness, contrast are set to 0 (mid-way) during break-in; I can still see the details in those very dark scenes ;)

So let's just say that this new line of Toshiba is really giving the Panny a run for their money!
post #197 of 850 Old 11-23-2005, 10:22 AM

In reading through this thread, it seems that all those who already own these units are making use of the included stand. Any other prospective buyers considering wall-mounting? I'd love to keep this panel on my short list, but I'm seeing some design difficulties here:

Preface: I have not had the chance to see the Toshibas first-hand. All my observations are based on pictures at crutchfield.

1) The analog inputs seem to be configured such that cabling would have to come straight out the back of the unit (the part that would be closest to the wall)?

2) The digital inputs, while recessed and vertical, would cause cabling to be either routed out the bottom of the panel or very tightly looped?

3) The area of the panel that accepts a mount is recessed. Can't tell how much, but it doesn't appear that a slim fixed mount would work?

4) The combination of a recessed mounting area and a rather "bulbous" bottom could limit the effectiveness of a tilt mount's travel?

I'm certainly not intending to take away from the overall aesthetics or quality. As I said, I'd like to consider the Toshiba as a viable option to the Panny and Pio I'm also looking at. And the Toshiba is actually in stock and available! But, wall mounting is a necessity for my situation (replacing a nearly 3-year old ED that's blended right into the room). At nearly 6" deep without a suitable mount, I'm just not sure the Toshiba will work for me. The WAF would be pretty low if I proposed to replace our 4-1/2" deep unit with something that could end up at 8+" deep.

Current owners - please prove my observations wrong! Prospective wall-mounters - at the very least, maybe I will end up saving someone the headache of trying to overcome the above after the purchase is made. But I really hope I'm wrong here!

Any/all comments welcome,

Dave
post #198 of 850 Old 11-23-2005, 12:37 PM

Jody.....Can you post what you have your calibrated settings on now that you are past the break in period. I tried out the calibrated settings posted by MrDuke on my 42 HP95 and would love to compare them to your settings. Thanks!
post #199 of 850 Old 11-23-2005, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
It would be great if someone would post pics of the SD stretch modes for this model like I did here for the Pio: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6546231.

Toshiba has named the modes differently than Panasonic, but I am curious if they are the same or if there are some differences. Particularly with Panny's "just" mode. Panny's industrial line does a better job with just than the consumers with a bit of stretch and a bit of zoom rather than all stretch. Much less distortion with only slight loss of material from top and bottom. Pioneer's "cinema" mode is like this and Hitachi has one as well.

Thanks to the industrious soul that will bestow such wonderful information on us. :D

. . . . . . . . . . . Peter

post #200 of 850 Old 11-23-2005, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

IT CAME TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

I just got it going 15 minutes ago, threw in Batman Begins (same DVD I had huge problems with my Sammy before) and actually at first was very disappointed. It was doing the same thing in the dark areas as my old Sammy was. I started messing around with the settings a bit, and as soon as I turned the "dynamic contrast" off... WHAM! It looks AMAZING. I turned the contrast and brightness down right away and it still looks phenomenal. The detail in the blacks is so much better I really can't even begin to explain. There is a bit of a red push with component on my Panny DVD player but I'm sure I will be able to adjust that out no problem. I'll give this thing some more time before I start to critique it some more, but right now I am very happy. I must admit about the only thing I don't like is the lame TV Guide logo in the corner, but what can you do? lol.

I guess it's a good sign when a TV you have been waiting for for a month comes the same day you receive your X360 :p .
post #201 of 850 Old 11-23-2005, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viventis
Can the base be removed? The manual (available on the Canadian site) has no instructions for removing the base.

Yes a few screws accessible from the back and it comes off quite easily
post #202 of 850 Old 11-23-2005, 08:02 PM

Just an FYI folks, I was having cablecard issues with my 42HP95 (as some have reported with the the Toshibas elsewhere here on AVS Forums). There is an October software release that fixed my issues. Contact customer service and they will ship it right out.

So don't get frustrated just get the update if you are having issues ...

That is all
post #203 of 850 Old 11-23-2005, 08:53 PM

mine came today, too.

been playing lots and so far: GREAT!

i think it came with pic on "sports". yeck! "standard" is OK but "movies" is best to my eyes. my experience with dynamic contrast was just the opposite. blacks are not dark enough with it off.

watched star wars III first. really nice picture quality. not perfect, but 4 1/2 stars.
the incredibles is 5 stars.
batman looks like a great movie and 4 1/2 star pic quality.

what setting for width are you looking @?

theatre 1 is the best picture but i worry about the black bars on top and bottom. too much of that can't be good while i break this toshiba in, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slider33
IT CAME TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

I just got it going 15 minutes ago, threw in Batman Begins (same DVD I had huge problems with my Sammy before) and actually at first was very disappointed. It was doing the same thing in the dark areas as my old Sammy was. I started messing around with the settings a bit, and as soon as I turned the "dynamic contrast" off... WHAM! It looks AMAZING. I turned the contrast and brightness down right away and it still looks phenomenal. The detail in the blacks is so much better I really can't even begin to explain. There is a bit of a red push with component on my Panny DVD player but I'm sure I will be able to adjust that out no problem. I'll give this thing some more time before I start to critique it some more, but right now I am very happy. I must admit about the only thing I don't like is the lame TV Guide logo in the corner, but what can you do? lol.

I guess it's a good sign when a TV you have been waiting for for a month comes the same day you receive your X360 :p .
post #204 of 850 Old 11-23-2005, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruxton
mine came today, too.

i think it came with pic on "sports". yeck! "standard" is OK but "movies" is best to my eyes. my experience with dynamic contrast was just the opposite. blacks are not dark enough with it off.

watched star wars III first. really nice picture quality. not perfect, but 4 1/2 stars.

theatre 1 is the best picture but i worry about the black bars on top and bottom. too much of that can't be good while i break this toshiba in, right?
Can you stretch HD sources unlike on the Panny?
post #205 of 850 Old 11-23-2005, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruxton
mine came today, too.

I was watching on Theatre 2, I didn't like the lines there for break in either. I found with the Dynamic set to on that there was a lot of noise in the blacks,maybe it is my DVD player or something but I know I have it set properly.

The 360 looks incredible on this thing. The sound seems pretty darn good too. I don't like the remote though, you have to be pointing it right at the bottom of the TV and it's a bit bottom heavy which tends to want to point it up. Minor point though.
post #206 of 850 Old 11-23-2005, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lipcrkr
Can you stretch HD sources unlike on the Panny?
Yes, and it also remembers settings for each input.
post #207 of 850 Old 11-24-2005, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes, and it also remembers settings for each input.
Thanx. Do you have a PC hooked up?
post #208 of 850 Old 11-24-2005, 05:32 AM

As Slider33 (congrats on getting your set) said, yes you can stretch HD but only in 3/4 modes: TheaterWide 1,2,3 not Full. Last Saturday ABC ran Harry Potter #2 but they kept switching between 16:9 and 4:3 for some reason. The 16:9 looked great in Natural but the 4:3 not so good. I tried each of the TheaterWide settings on the 4:3 but the stretching didn't look right and didn't improve the PQ. TW1 is suppose to be for 4:3 and TW2 and 3 for letter box programs. We use Full for 16:9 sources, Natural for HD and TW1 for 4:3.

I hope to have a PC hooked up next week. I can not find a monitor cable longer than 10' locally so I need to order one.

We watched WOTW switching between MrDuke's calibrated settings and the Movie setting which is very close. We ending up staying with the factory Movie setting but then WOTW is kinda grainy and bright.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Bryant
post #209 of 850 Old 11-24-2005, 05:57 AM

Quote:
I was watching on Theatre 2, I didn't like the lines there for break in either. I found with the Dynamic set to on that there was a lot of noise in the blacks,maybe it is my DVD player or something but I know I have it set properly.

The 360 looks incredible on this thing. The sound seems pretty darn good too. I don't like the remote though, you have to be pointing it right at the bottom of the TV and it's a bit bottom heavy which tends to want to point it up. Minor point though.
that's a good point about which DVD player one is using. i am running OPPO (with DVI-HDMI cable they provided). so far perfect, except some green tinting to the faces on one scene in batman.

i haven't calibrated the colors yet but geez they really are delicious! i spent a lot on this thing but sure is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!

as for the 360, i just knew it was going to look great on plasma.

i haven't tried the speaker yet as i have audio via my YSP1000.
post #210 of 850 Old 11-24-2005, 06:14 AM

Quote:
I was watching on Theatre 2, I didn't like the lines there for break in either.
i get cable tomorrow, so we'll see how HD source looks. for now just DVD and i am kind of surprised that most movies don't filt the screen.

so far i've tried (1) lord of the rings (which i had heard was shot wide) but also, (2) star wars III, (3) batman begins, and (4) the incredibles. each with black bars on the top and bottom when set to full.

to my eyes, slightly off with theater 2 settings. i guess i don't mind the bars much as long as i don't have burn problems. :confused: i'm using jodeus' 35/40 break in settings and she's right, it is only a slight compromise in PQ.
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page