post #301 of 1285 Old 12-30-2006, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsander View Post

I see on the download page evangelo is running this disk until he hits 1,000 hours. The download page says 100-200 hours. I also see this post was started back in 05. Is this still recommended on today's plasmas? I have not yet picked mine up yet is why I ask. Are you still watching the TV during the break in period running this disk through the evening hours? Any articles/links you can pass along to me about this subject please.

Yes, it is still recommended to break-in the set for 100-200hrs with a lower contrast and brightness setting. You can still watch tv during the break-in period, this disk helps to speed up the process by running it when you are not watching. This whole thread is filled with information concerning this subject.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 1285 Old 12-30-2006, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
vsapra, you should be able to use on any dvd player that can play DVD-R disc. Some players may be sensitive to slideshows so you should try it first. The critical point comes at the 45 minute mark. If it goes to the next slideshow then youa re ok.

rsander, I muust have a type on the download page. I used it for the first 200 hours and have not fired it up since. I will when I get my Pio FHD-1 some day

-Evangelo2
post #303 of 1285 Old 12-31-2006, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post

Marwan, after 100 hours I used AVIA calibrated values and just varied my viewing. I also had the side pillar bars (for 4:3) material) set to gray. I pretty much watched whatever I wanted after 100 hours. I didnt game on it until after 200 hours.
-Evangelo2

why 4:3 with sides set to gray? cant i just watch everything in widescreen as long as it fills the screen, using the zoom function?

wouldnt 4:3 cause some kind of burn-in since the grey bars are always there?

thanks!
post #304 of 1285 Old 12-31-2006, 07:15 AM

I have a new Panasonic TH-50PX600U. The brightness and picture (contrast) are at -20. I started to use the Breakin DVD on a SONY DVP-NS315 progressive scan player with the TV aspect at ZOOM. I have not watched anything else on the plasma yet. Ran the DVD overnight for 9 hours. On the second night of breakin, I noticed the faint horizontal line in the middle of the picture plane on some of the lighter screens. I did not notice this on the first night of breakin. I then tried the DVD in a SONY DVP-NC85H upconverting player with the TV aspect at FULL. I got the same results; The faint, darker-than-background, horizontal line in the middle of the picture plane on the lighter screens. I toggled the picture setting to VIVID (higher brightness and contrast) and the horizontal line was not noticable. None-the-less, I have stopped using the breakin DVD.

For those who have seen the screen line that I am talking about, were the TV's brightness and contrast set as low as mine? Has anyone been able to get to the bottom of this? Is this a plasma glass issue? Anyone call Panasonic about this yet?

Thanks.

--
ewokultra
post #305 of 1285 Old 12-31-2006, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marwan View Post

why 4:3 with sides set to gray? cant i just watch everything in widescreen as long as it fills the screen, using the zoom function?

wouldnt 4:3 cause some kind of burn-in since the grey bars are always there?

thanks!

Many of us prefer to watch SD content in 4:3 instead of distorting the image by stretching it out losing some of the picture by zooming it in. If that doesn't bother you, you can stretch or zoom your picture. The grey bars can be used instead of black which may help reduce the risk of BI or IR since grey is less of a contrast to the picture than black. As long as you switch up programming from 4:3 to 16:9 BI and IR shouldn't be an issue.
post #306 of 1285 Old 12-31-2006, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewokultra View Post

I have a new Panasonic TH-50PX600U. The brightness and picture (contrast) are at -20. I started to use the Breakin DVD on a SONY DVP-NS315 progressive scan player with the TV aspect at ZOOM. I have not watched anything else on the plasma yet. Ran the DVD overnight for 9 hours. On the second night of breakin, I noticed the faint horizontal line in the middle of the picture plane on some of the lighter screens. I did not notice this on the first night of breakin. I then tried the DVD in a SONY DVP-NC85H upconverting player with the TV aspect at FULL. I got the same results; The faint, darker-than-background, horizontal line in the middle of the picture plane on the lighter screens. I toggled the picture setting to VIVID (higher brightness and contrast) and the horizontal line was not noticable. None-the-less, I have stopped using the breakin DVD.

For those who have seen the screen line that I am talking about, were the TV's brightness and contrast set as low as mine? Has anyone been able to get to the bottom of this? Is this a plasma glass issue? Anyone call Panasonic about this yet?

Thanks,

John

I just turned my picture and brightness down to -20 and notice the faint line as well, more obvious to me on the gray screens. Totally unnoticeable at regular viewing levels though. I've had my Panisonic 50ph9uk for a couple weeks now and have around 150 hrs of TV viewing. I've been using a VP30 to just zoom/pan network logos off of the screen, but I did run a few 8hr sessions with the break in DVD on an Oppo 970. I'm going to try panning the screen down and skipping through the DVD tracks to see if I see anything. I would image I'll see a similar line off center on one of the color frames if there's a problem w/ the break in disk.

UPDATE: I put a piece of tape on the edge of the display where I see the faint line, then put up the Oppo logo to see where the line would fall on the logo. I moved the logo half way up and moved the tape to where the line would move in relation to the logo. I went through all the tracks and didn't see any line, of course it could be just a slight difference on a saturated color screen which would make it very difficult to see. I think more feedback from users is needed on different panels w/ the brightness and picture settings dialed down 2/3 to 3/4 to see if it's something specific w/ the panny panels or not. I never noticed it before until I dialed my settings to these unusually low values.
post #307 of 1285 Old 12-31-2006, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hey antand,
I don't think it would be an issue ith the break in disc since all the images consist of 1 solid color with all colors being chosen in Photoshop (so I could get pure RED/Green/Blue and White). A good test would be to see if you can see this line at regular brightness/contrast settings on your Panny. This may be something inherent in the panny screens at very low contrast/brightness levels. On my Pio I do notr see any lines at all when playing the disc. I also do not notice them when playing through PowerDVD on my Desktop PC.

Happy New Year Everyone!
-Evangelo2
post #308 of 1285 Old 12-31-2006, 03:29 PM

Quote:

BasementBob,
Sounds like you did it right Make sure there are no black bars on the screen when you are playing the disc. Every pixel should be lit.

I should also have a disc to "reverse" burn in 4:3 static bars for those who have suffered from that type of image problem. I can't do much testing since I do not have this problem but I can make the pattern correctly

-Evangelo2

My fellow greek, I have this problem. I need a reverse burn in, because the outsides of the borders are pure white, and the insides have a slight pinkish tint. I had no idea the black bars could do that much damage in a two-month period.
post #309 of 1285 Old 12-31-2006, 04:36 PM

Quote:

Hey antand,
I don't think it would be an issue ith the break in disc since all the images consist of 1 solid color with all colors being chosen in Photoshop (so I could get pure RED/Green/Blue and White). A good test would be to see if you can see this line at regular brightness/contrast settings on your Panny. This may be something inherent in the panny screens at very low contrast/brightness levels. On my Pio I do notr see any lines at all when playing the disc. I also do not notice them when playing through PowerDVD on my Desktop PC.

Happy New Year Everyone!
-Evangelo2

I agree, I think it's something w/ the Panny glass. As I stated previously, I would have never seen it had I not dialed everything down to almost absolute minimum settings like "ewokultra" stated. I will be continuing to use the break in disk.
post #310 of 1285 Old 12-31-2006, 05:32 PM

Quote:

A good test would be to see if you can see this line at regular brightness/contrast settings on your Panny. This may be something inherent in the panny screens at very low contrast/brightness levels. On my Pio I do notr see any lines at all when playing the disc. I also do not notice them when playing through PowerDVD on my Desktop PC.
-Evangelo2

ok - I have adjusted the brightness/contast to -10/-10. This, at least, seems to make the faint horizontal line disappear. Since I am doing nothing with this TV but break-in (I have another TV that I am watching now), would it matter if the brightness/contrast are low (-10/-10)? Is there an advantage to setting them higher (0/0) during break-in, since this is all I am doing right now?
post #311 of 1285 Old 01-01-2007, 06:36 PM

hi Evangelo2,

thank you again for the great work in the Burn-in DVD, I just got my TH-50PX60u setup last night and have been following the burn-in insturctions as discussed here as well as running the Burn-In Dvd for a few hours last night. I just want to ask a newbie question if you don't mind.

While running the Burn-In DVD, my wife commented that if a continously "changing" gradient color would be even better than the "static 30sec" of images that is on the burn-in DVD. I didn't know what to say since I really don't know what the optimal interval of images shoudl be for burn in and also I thought a gradient of continous colours might actually be harmful? I just wonder what your thoghts are.

On another note, like ewokultra, I have also started the Burn-In Disc on my 60U at a lower picture/brightness setting.. (-30/-30), I have already posted the question on the master thread (sorry for bringing it up again) but is that actually not as good then burning it at 0/0 like ewokultra had asked?

Thanks again, keep up the good work!
post #312 of 1285 Old 01-03-2007, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I bought a new TV and have already used it to watch about 30 hrs on it until I saw this thread. Question:

1. While I shall be playing the burn-in DVD overnight for the next little while to complete almost close to 500 hrs. I would like to know if it is okay to watch normal TV channels during evenings or should I just run the DVD all throughout the break-in period and avoid watching regular TV altogether?
post #313 of 1285 Old 01-03-2007, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parry View Post

I bought a new TV and have already used it to watch about 30 hrs on it until I saw this thread. Question:

1. While I shall be playing the burn-in DVD overnight for the next little while to complete almost close to 500 hrs. I would like to know if it is okay to watch normal TV channels during evenings or should I just run the DVD all throughout the break-in period and avoid watching regular TV altogether?

Parry,
Please read before posting. You can find your answer even as close as the first post on this page. This question has been answered throughout this whole thread.
post #314 of 1285 Old 01-04-2007, 07:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr8z1 View Post

Parry,
Please read before posting. You can find your answer even as close as the first post on this page. This question has been answered throughout this whole thread.

Would have been easier to get a plain simple answer. I read most of the thread but it does not say if the best practice it is to let the TV break-in or you are okay to watch regular TV in between the break-in period. I'm not lazy in reading but couldn't find that info yet
post #315 of 1285 Old 01-04-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:

Would have been easier to get a plain simple answer. I read most of the thread but it does not say if the best practice it is to let the TV break-in or you are okay to watch regular TV in between the break-in period. I'm not lazy in reading but couldn't find that info yet

Parry,

What I gathered from this thread is that the break-in disk is a tool to speed up the break in period.

Watch tv when you want to, just avoid static images such as logos and scrolling update bars and make sure the picture covers the entire screen (stretch 4:3 images). When you are not watching TV you can play this disk as a safe way to get through the 100-200 hour break in period without sitting in front of the TV to be sure no static images, dvd menus, etc... are on the screen.

Make sense?
post #316 of 1285 Old 01-04-2007, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Parry,
Granger summed it up perfectly. Follow what he saysa nd you will be fine. The only thing I will add is calibrate your settings for brightness and contrast as this is important durring break in. Also, I would use lower than calibrated elvels while running the disc.
-Evangelo2
post #317 of 1285 Old 01-04-2007, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, would be easier for you not to read like the rest of us, huh? We have to read your post, but you don't have to read ours?? You did get a plain simple answer......scroll up on this very page....it has been answered over and over. If you had "read most of the thread" you would know this.
post #318 of 1285 Old 01-04-2007, 10:20 AM

go ahead and piss in his cornflakes, kr8z1

you guys are great! i just ordered my th42px60u yesterday, and will be downloading the breakin tool this weekend. thanks much, evangelo!!!!

rap
post #319 of 1285 Old 01-04-2007, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raprider View Post

go ahead and piss in his cornflakes, kr8z1

You can see from my initial reply to Parry that I tried to help the guy help himself. Instead he wanted to strike back at me for not copying the SAME answer I gave just 11 posts before his and posting the reply to him too. We can't just all run around asking the same questions over and over - we've got to read at some point. No big deal, just don't like someone who asks for help then spits on ya for showing them where the answer is.

BTW, congrats on your purchase. That's a great set!
post #320 of 1285 Old 01-04-2007, 12:17 PM

"we've got to read at some point"

read? where we're going, we don't need to read
and to ask the same question in another thread...sheesh!

thanks! lots of researching and reading this forum, not to mention the great price after CC gave me the 125% price match to the CompUSA sale. now I just have to wait for 15 more sets to come in to the store till I get mine!!!

Raprider
post #321 of 1285 Old 01-04-2007, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Guys:

I have purchased my first plasma and am therefore not sure of the settings for TV while running the burn-in dvd. Could someone please guide me what settings to use for the Panasonic 50px6u TV. Thanks
post #322 of 1285 Old 01-04-2007, 10:28 PM

Hoo boy. I got my 50PH9UK on the 29th of December. I have 16 power ons and not quite 20 hours on it. LOL

Like some people in this thread, I'm using the break-in DVD and I'm seeing the darker ~1cm thick (hard to tell... staring at pixels isn't good for your eyes) horizontal line across the center of the screen. Brightness/Picture at -20 and all other settings on that menu at 0. I've adjusted v-pos to max either way and it stayed right in the middle of the screen, which means it's definitely not the DVD. If it is something in the Panasonic glass, any ideas what it could be? Some kind of wrinkle or something similar to the tension wires in the old Sony Trinitron tubes? I'm going to try to call/email Panasonic tomorrow and ask if they know something about it.

Alexsha

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it."
-Voltaire
post #323 of 1285 Old 01-05-2007, 04:34 AM

i finally completed 200 hours with the break-in DVD. can i now use full contrast to watch TV? or should i lower it? during break in, my contrast was 15 out of 100 on a panasonic plasma viera.
post #324 of 1285 Old 01-05-2007, 11:24 AM

I downloaded and burned from the file on the first post.

When I play it I had black bars until I streched it.

I assume that is ok and normal?
post #325 of 1285 Old 01-05-2007, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It's ok to zoom it in but it should fill up the whole screen if your DVD player is 480p Widescreen compliant. If not, zooming is fine as long as all pixels are covered with the zoomed image.
-Evangelo2
post #326 of 1285 Old 01-05-2007, 12:24 PM

thanks again Evan. so when can i play/watch DVDs in their native aspect ration? like DVD movies with 2.40:1 ratio? zoom would totally mess the picture up. would the top and bottom black bars cause any kind of a burn in problem after my 200 hour break in?
post #327 of 1285 Old 01-05-2007, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

After 100 hours I think its safe to watch a 2.4:1 movie on it as long as you dont do nothing but watch 2.4:1 movies. Vary your viewing and try to zoom when possible.
After 200 hours I watched whatever I wanted and just enjoyed the set.
-Evangelo2
post #328 of 1285 Old 01-05-2007, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 67
As soon as it arrived, I tried a normal signal on each input (cable tv, hddvd, dvd).
Then I tried the 5 colour screens (all white, all black, all red, all blue, all green).
Total time thus far: 15 minutes.

Then I set d-nice's break-in settings, started Evangelo2's break in dvd, and took a nap.
It ran for 8 hours.

I had set asside some 16:9 HD-DVDs, so I watched two of them -- dot-by-dot, with d-nice's break-in settings except I used a lower contrast setting than suggested.

I started Evangelo2's break in dvd again, still with the lower than d-nice's settings, and it ran for another 16 hours.
Over the next four days, I watched cable (streched to fill the screen) and 16:9 HD-DVDs for about 3 hours a day, with Evangelo2's break in dvd running the remaining 21 hours each day. The set was not turned off for the first five days after it was installed.

Now reasonably past 100 hours, I switched to d-nice's 'night' settings, and started using the television normally. All cable shows were stretched to fill the screen, but I started watching 2.35:1 dvd and hd-dvd movies.
I never paused anything -- well, actually I paused dvd and cable a lot, but each time I turned the plasma off.
If I'm not sitting in front of the plasma, it's off. Partially for energy conservation, but mostly because who knows what signal is going to show up on it and better safe than sorry.

Now reasonably past 200 hours, I switched to d-nice's 'day' settings. All cable shows are still stretched to fill the screen, but I started watching 2.35:1 dvd and hd-dvd movies and doing some fiddling with the contrast and other settings to find a more pleasing image.

An amateur built the Ark. Titanic was built by professionals. Of course Noah took a little advice.
post #329 of 1285 Old 01-06-2007, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
I received my 9UK yesterday and am now doing the break-in procedure using Evangelo2's Break-in DVD. My primary DVD player recently broke so I'm using my PS2. I set up the PS2 to component (yes I am using component cables) and 16:9 in the settings, however the 9UK will not fill the screen with aspect ratio set to Full. There are ~2.5 inch black horizontal bars on the top and bottom. Only when I use Zoom is the screen filled. I then tried the Prison Break DVD, which is in 16:9 widescreen format, and the same thing happens - the screen is not filled using Full only Zoom. Is this an issue with the PS2? Am I overlooking something?

Another thing I noticed is when my screen is filled completely with a white image the far left vertical row of pixels is neon lavender and the far right vertical row of pixels is neon green. Is this normal or common? Thanks.
post #330 of 1285 Old 01-06-2007, 02:04 PM

Still hoping you get time to put together a 4:3 reverse burn in image some time :-)
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Elite

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page