Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 1285 Old 07-18-2007, 07:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi RobOnLI and osiris3mc,
Each title on the DVD is in fact 45 minutes long. It will play again because there are multiple titles each 45 minutes long. That is why it is a key thing to test this disc with your DVD player before you start using it. Start playing it at the 44 minute mark and make sure that after the 45 minute mark it starts all over again. If it does this you should be ok. The DVD version should be food for 24 hours (although I never let it play for more than 16 straight myself since by then I usually ended up watching some TV or giving the set a rest).
-Evangelo2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 1285 Old 07-18-2007, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 View Post

Hi RobOnLI and osiris3mc,
Each title on the DVD is in fact 45 minutes long. It will play again because there are multiple titles each 45 minutes long. That is why it is a key thing to test this disc with your DVD player before you start using it. Start playing it at the 44 minute mark and make sure that after the 45 minute mark it starts all over again. If it does this you should be ok. The DVD version should be food for 24 hours (although I never let it play for more than 16 straight myself since by then I usually ended up watching some TV or giving the set a rest).
-Evangelo2

Thanks for the (slightly late) reply I'm already through with my TV burn-in.

Just FYI that the DVD ran flawlessly for 4.5 straight days with no problem. It just kept cycling through.

Thx,
RM
post #543 of 1285 Old 07-18-2007, 03:48 PM

Liked: 11
I am sorry, but I have never read that a Plasma or any tv needs an extensive burn in of the primary colors and greys. In fact I have heard by reading the Frequently asked question section on OEM web sites where they have said no burn in is necessary. I have in principle run a tv or computer when I first get if for a day or two of what ever is on the tv. On the computer having a screen saver since otherwise no change occurs on the screen. Maybe for a couple of days, but never for 1000 hours as suggested in a couple of posts. Where does this stuff come from? I am not saying that the person is not correct, but I would like to review the source that suggests such extensive use.

Manny
post #544 of 1285 Old 07-20-2007, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmanny3 View Post

I am sorry, but I have never read that a Plasma or any tv needs an extensive burn in of the primary colors and greys. In fact I have heard by reading the Frequently asked question section on OEM web sites where they have said no burn in is necessary. I have in principle run a tv or computer when I first get if for a day or two of what ever is on the tv. On the computer having a screen saver since otherwise no change occurs on the screen. Maybe for a couple of days, but never for 1000 hours as suggested in a couple of posts. Where does this stuff come from? I am not saying that the person is not correct, but I would like to review the source that suggests such extensive use.

Manny

1000 hours seems a bit excessive to me as well. I've seen that twice, but the manufacture of my set (a Sammy 5054) suggests a 100 hour break in period. Ithink the manufacturer would know a little more about their sets then us hobbyists - or so you would think.

However, I did download this DVD - have ran it for about two hours total. Staying up a bit right now to make sure it cycles through a bit - but if this disk shuts off in the middle of the night I'm screwed - as I'll have my Sony DVD logo burned into the screen (and I don't want that!!!).

So after about another hour or so when I go to bed - I'll turn the disk off. Can't see how 1000 hours of 'breakin' is necessary - I would like to read why specifically this is.

"it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it"
post #545 of 1285 Old 07-21-2007, 05:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think 1000 hours is not necessary. I think the manufacturers all sayy 100 hours (*maybe* Panny said 150 but I cant remember right now).
-Evangelo2
post #546 of 1285 Old 07-23-2007, 09:34 AM

i just downloaded the image, thanks for putting in a dvd-r form. but my question is, a friend of mine told me that instead of the break in dvd, to leave Discovery HD on for a few days and that'll break it in just as well. what is your opinion on this?
post #547 of 1285 Old 07-23-2007, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Discovery HD is good as well. They used to remove there logo pretty quickly. I haven't noticed in a while if they still do that. I avoided this myself because if something goes wrong with the DiscoveryHD feed then I may get some error message (hello "Searching For Satellite" DirecTV message ). I found my DVD player was more dependable after I verified that it made it past the title jumps (45 minute mark).
Some people say using a snowy static screen works pretty well also. The main plus of the disc is that since it is a solid color, all phosphors get hit the same amount the entire time.
-Evangelo2
post #548 of 1285 Old 07-24-2007, 06:50 AM

Quote:

Discovery HD is good as well. They used to remove there logo pretty quickly. I haven't noticed in a while if they still do that. I avoided this myself because if something goes wrong with the DiscoveryHD feed then I may get some error message (hello "Searching For Satellite" DirecTV message ). I found my DVD player was more dependable after I verified that it made it past the title jumps (45 minute mark).
Some people say using a snowy static screen works pretty well also. The main plus of the disc is that since it is a solid color, all phosphors get hit the same amount the entire time.
-Evangelo2

For Mac users: To make the DVD-R break in disc on my Mac I downloaded a trial version of DVD Copy for Macintosh, which works just fine. Download the ISO files and use DVD Copy to burn the disc. Works perfectly.
post #549 of 1285 Old 07-24-2007, 07:34 PM

Have had the DVD running for 4 days straight now,about 100 hours...couple of more days and I'm good to go.....great color show!
post #550 of 1285 Old 07-24-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementBob View Post

Thank's Evangelo2.

Here's what I did

I downloaded your
Breakin_DVD_R_NRG.zip (12549kb) on 2006/8/4
from
http://www.eaprogramming.com/downloads/downloads.htm
I unzipped it to
C:\ emp\\Home Theatre\\Nero_BreakInDVD\\NRG\\Breakin DVD-R.nrg
(441921 kb, 2006/5/2)

I'm using Windows XP Professional 2002 SP2.

I went to http://www.nero.com/enu/Downloads.html
and downloaded "Nero 7 Ultra Edition Enhanced Trial Version"
and got a
Nero-7.5.9.0A_eng.exe (154,581kb) 2006/12/7

Installed Nero-7.5.9.0A_eng.exe.
Without the ASK TOOLBAR browser add in. I used the custom settings to install -- but left them all unchanged. I didn't allow it to use Nero for anything (images, video, audio, icons) -- no file types, no desktop icons, etc -- I selected 'remove all' on each/all the tabs. Said it was installing over a gigabyte of files.
It installed Microsoft DirectX9c, forcing a reboot of my WindowsXP.

After the reboot It had put something on my task bar -- which I removed after unselecting a bunch of indexing options.
It also added an entry to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVer sion\\Run
which I also removed.

I
Start > Programs > Nero 7 Demo > Data > Nero Burning ROM
On the Nero toolbar, near the right, I clicked on "Choose a recorder", and selected my SONY DVD RW DRU-720A IDE drive.
I inserted a blank SONY DVD-R 4.7GB 1x-8x disk. [When WindowsXP asked me what to do with it, I pushed CANCEL, because I wanted Nero to deal with it instead]
On the Nero toolbar, near the left, I clicked on "New". From the top left drop down it was set to "CD", so I selected "DVD".
I then clicked on the "OPEN" button near the bottom, and opened
C:\ emp\\Home Theatre\\Nero_BreakInDVD\\NRG\\Breakin DVD-R.nrg
This opened up the BURN tab, and I left "Write" checked, and under Write Speed I reduced it from 8x to 6x(8310 kb/s) because sometimes disks won't write at top speed.
I pushed the BURN button.
After it started burning, I clicked on the "Verify" checkbox on the bottom left. After about 10 minutes it was done, including verification. No errors, and it auto-ejected the DVD.

I then put it into my Toshiba HD-XA1, and hit play.
A white screen appeared on my tv.
I tried fast forward on the remote, but that was refused.
After about 30 seconds I noticed that the chapter number went up. So I tried next chapter button on the remote, and clicked through about 65 chapters.
There are various flavours of white, that slowly become RED.
Then there are more whites, that slowly become BLUE.
Then there are more whites, that slowly become GREEN.

Seems to work fine.

Thank you very much Basement Bob, you helped me out, would not have it today with out these directions. Great!!!
post #551 of 1285 Old 07-24-2007, 08:30 PM

Quote:

-Evangelo2

Hey Evangelo2, great disk, thanks for doing that. Some here are saying to turn up the contrast and brightness when running the disk, what do you say about that?
post #552 of 1285 Old 07-27-2007, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt_Krunch View Post

1000 hours seems a bit excessive to me as well. I've seen that twice, but the manufacture of my set (a Sammy 5054) suggests a 100 hour break in period. Ithink the manufacturer would know a little more about their sets then us hobbyists - or so you would think.

However, I did download this DVD - have ran it for about two hours total. Staying up a bit right now to make sure it cycles through a bit - but if this disk shuts off in the middle of the night I'm screwed - as I'll have my Sony DVD logo burned into the screen (and I don't want that!!!).

So after about another hour or so when I go to bed - I'll turn the disk off. Can't see how 1000 hours of 'breakin' is necessary - I would like to read why specifically this is.

I've gotta chime in on this... I would agree that there is some over-kill on this whole issue. Pioneer does not publish any information about a break-in period and I didn't come across a sales associate at any of the 4 electronics stores that I shopped who knew about a hard and fast break-in period. Panasonic does state that you should be careful for the first 100 hours. Translation: Don't turn on Bloomberg TV and leave on in 4:3 format for 12 hours.

I just bought 2 new plasma tvs. One is a pioneer and one is a panasonic. The Pioneer has roughly 15 hours of viewing on it and the other night I watched a show on MHD for almost 1 1/2 hours (they have a very bright/static logo)... no IR what=so-ever. I did notice that the Panasonic has momentarily retained some bright images (such as the Comcast On Demand intro for movies)... but they go away. I'm assuming this will stop happening after a month or so (the phosphers are probably just getting used to being energized).

Frankly, I don't want to be afraid to use the TV and have fun with it. I've read so many things on the net... such as: Only watch your plasma is cinema mode to avoid premature loss of brightness and burn-in. My response to that is: For what? I didn't buy these things to baby them. After all, they will slowly die and are replaceable.

Now that I'm done that rant, on to this burn-in DVD. I did run on it on a Panasonic that I returned... and I returned it because of this DVD. I just happened to notice that one or 2 pixels didn't lite-up during a light blue screen. The flickered and turned black. They did fire for all other colors.

So thank you for making this DVD... without it I probably wouldn't have noticed this flaw within the first 30 days of ownership. The store I bought it from is replacing the tv. You had better believe the new tv will be displaying this DVD, too!

So, anyway... rock-on folks. And don't forget to relax and have fun with these beautiful plasma tv's.
post #553 of 1285 Old 07-27-2007, 03:02 PM

Thank you so much for all the infos...

I received today my first plasma, a Panasonic Viera TH-37PV45EH...
and i must admit that i am so anxious, with all the burn in talks, especially if you take into consideration, that i bought it for my gaming needs(Wii)...I hope that no one says...oh poor fellow!!

Ok, i burned the svcd file and i am ready to go...I also noticed the 45 minutes length, but, upon reaching the 45th minute, it starts again from zero and continues...Ι hope that is the right case!

I just wanna ask two questions...For how long will i keep the svcd playing?Wont there be a need for the TV to make a break, for fear of overheating(especially here in the really hot these days Greece)..
The colors should cover the whole of the tv, right?No black bars whatsoever, right?

And in general, anything else that i should pay attention to?

Whoops...I just noticed in the first pages of the thread, that you should calibrate the tv?I dont have any calibration dvd!I just thought that you should put the brightness, contrast settings to appx 20% of the maximum value and proceed with the svcd...

That is all for now!Again, major thumbs up to Evangelo and everyone else who is contributing to this thread, especially since you are so helpful with all the newbies too!

edit...I started the procedure...From what i have seen my Plasma doesn;t have nuemrical data for C/B, so i cant really tell their exact value, but i ve put them quite low....saturation normal, screen asepct set to wide..also what about the noise reduction features?should they be high or low?

I ve just read about the center line that appears in Some Panny models and needless to say i got even more stressful and anxious than before!
If anyone has the exact same model and would like to offer me any advice about the settings i d greatly appreciate it...
post #554 of 1285 Old 07-28-2007, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Knight View Post

Thank you so much for all the infos...

I received today my first plasma, a Panasonic Viera TH-37PV45EH...
and i must admit that i am so anxious, with all the burn in talks, especially if you take into consideration, that i bought it for my gaming needs(Wii)...I hope that no one says...oh poor fellow!!

Ok, i burned the svcd file and i am ready to go...I also noticed the 45 minutes length, but, upon reaching the 45th minute, it starts again from zero and continues...Ι hope that is the right case!

Yes, I have ran it for 8-9 hours with no problems.

Quote:

I just wanna ask two questions...For how long will i keep the svcd playing?Wont there be a need for the TV to make a break, for fear of overheating(especially here in the really hot these days Greece)..
The colors should cover the whole of the tv, right?No black bars whatsoever, right?

I do not know about overheating which is why I shut mine off. I usually run it all night and turn it of before heading to work.

No black bars, correct.

Quote:

And in general, anything else that i should pay attention to?

Whoops...I just noticed in the first pages of the thread, that you should calibrate the tv?I dont have any calibration dvd!I just thought that you should put the brightness, contrast settings to appx 20% of the maximum value and proceed with the svcd...

I did not see what you are talking about there, I did no calabration just reduced the settings. I do not know much about calibration. I think you are ok to just lay it in there and go.

Quote:

That is all for now!Again, major thumbs up to Evangelo and everyone else who is contributing to this thread, especially since you are so helpful with all the newbies too!

edit...I started the procedure...From what i have seen my Plasma doesn;t have nuemrical data for C/B, so i cant really tell their exact value, but i ve put them quite low....saturation normal, screen asepct set to wide..also what about the noise reduction features?should they be high or low?

I ve just read about the center line that appears in Some Panny models and needless to say i got even more stressful and anxious than before!
If anyone has the exact same model and would like to offer me any advice about the settings i d greatly appreciate it...

I have the sammy 5054 can't help you here
post #555 of 1285 Old 07-28-2007, 04:09 PM

Thanx caliskier!

I have started the procedure..i am in 10 hours so far...
I go with periods of 5 hours, some cooling of and then again up to 5 hours...

Regarding the calibration, i was referring to the after the break in period..
Anyway, so far i have to say that the tv gets really hot, especially in the "upper" parts and indeed it seems to be emitting quite a heat!
Also, i think that it smells a little bit weird, but i am not sure if that is my idea...I hope that there isn;t any phosphorus leakage!!
post #556 of 1285 Old 07-28-2007, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hi Gabriel,
Sounds like you got the right idea If you are new to home theather I can recommend the AVIA calivration DVD to you. It contains a tutorial on how to use the test patterns and comes with the colored filters needed to properly calibrate your set It is educational and fun Enjoy this great hobby!
-Evangelo2
post #557 of 1285 Old 07-30-2007, 07:35 PM

Quote:

Hi Gabriel,
Sounds like you got the right idea If you are new to home theather I can recommend the AVIA calivration DVD to you. It contains a tutorial on how to use the test patterns and comes with the colored filters needed to properly calibrate your set It is educational and fun Enjoy this great hobby!
-Evangelo2

Just out of curiosity, I've notice that the colors produced by my Oppo DVD player pale in comparison to the HD broadcasts coming over cable. They are much dimmer and not as vibrant.

(A) Is this normal for an upscaling player?

(B) Wouldn't this fact ruin my ability to calibrate via a DVD (hence, the cable picture would probably end up looking bad)
post #558 of 1285 Old 08-04-2007, 01:22 AM

Hi, I tried this out on my new Philips 50 inch refurb I got from the recent philips deal. It had 156 hours on it, but its very susceptible to image retention. Even leaving the TV's menu on for about 10 seconds leaves a temporary imprint on the screen. I ran your DVD, but there seems to be a LOT of noise on the screen, I dont know if this is normal or if I got a defective set. I googled it and I THINK its dithering, not quite sure. My screen doesnt show a pure color, it shows the color, but also a lot of random dots (in the thousands and thousands) of other colors all over the screen. After running the DVD for about an hour, I noticed that certain parts of the screen had patches of dots that were temporarily burned into the screen. Do I have a defective set or just a cheap qualit plasma?
post #559 of 1285 Old 08-04-2007, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Try turning down your settings for brightness and contrast and sharpness.
There should be no dots as the images are solid color images.
What kind of DVD player are you using and what kind of conection to your tv are you using?
-Evangelo2
post #560 of 1285 Old 08-04-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:

Try turning down your settings for brightness and contrast and sharpness.
There should be no dots as the images are solid color images.
What kind of DVD player are you using and what kind of conection to your tv are you using?
-Evangelo2

I had brightness and contrast at 43, sharpness at 2. I'm using an OLD dvd player, sony DVP-NC600 using the regular yellow/red/white connections. Would using a better dvd player and component imputs solve the problems, with the individual RGB connections and all?
post #561 of 1285 Old 08-08-2007, 07:57 PM

My 42PX75U is scheduled for delivery tomorrow morning. I'm PUMPED!! I'm going to start breaking it in immediately and am wondering what settings I should use. I will be using the break-in CD.

Thanks,
Dave
post #562 of 1285 Old 08-10-2007, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I am having a hell of a time trying to burn myself this DVD......I'm using Nero 6. I've tried every single one and still nothing. I can view the files on the Video_TS version but some of them are like strobe lights they go so fast......is it supposed to be like that?

UPDATE: I ended up getting the Video_TS version to work by making a data DVD using Sonic.......for some reason Nero was just not working.

Panasonic 42PX75U Plasma
PS3 60 GB
Xbox 360 Elite
Toshiba HD-A2
Pioneer VSX-1018
Polk Audio RM6750
post #563 of 1285 Old 08-11-2007, 01:31 PM

Because I don't have a dvd player which can play copied disks, I had to find an other way to get same results as this dvd/svcd.

I made same pictures, going from whit to colo/grey, put them on harddisk of my 360 and I have my 360 run a slideshow of these pictures continuesly. Easier then burning a dvd/svcd, atleast that's what I think.
post #564 of 1285 Old 08-11-2007, 01:52 PM

Thanks Evangelo2 for making this available to everyone. I'm a new 50' Panny and I came to the forums asking advice about gaming in it. Someone in that thread pointed me to this DVD and thread. I have read all 19 pages of it and I must say I feel much more informed and at peace about IR.

For those who may ask, I have the 50PX75U and my current break-in settings are -10 contrast, -10 brightness, everything else at 0. So far I have logged in 58 hours without any problems.
post #565 of 1285 Old 08-11-2007, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

How does everyone know how many hours that their TV has been on?

Panasonic 42PX75U Plasma
PS3 60 GB
Xbox 360 Elite
Toshiba HD-A2
Pioneer VSX-1018
Polk Audio RM6750
post #566 of 1285 Old 08-12-2007, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick0716 View Post

How does everyone know how many hours that their TV has been on?

Well I created a simple spread sheet in excel that calculates the hours. I simply log the times when turn it on and off and the sheet does the calculations for me and gives me the total for the day as well as a grand total.

But I'm just anal like that and since I'm currently unemployed and have lots of time in my hands I created that. All you really need is to count the hours of each day and keep track of them until you reach your goal.
post #567 of 1285 Old 08-13-2007, 02:37 AM

Or watch in the service menu of your TV. Bit simpler.
post #568 of 1285 Old 08-13-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albinoraptor View Post

Or watch in the service menu of your TV. Bit simpler.

True, but from what I've been reading here, if you don't know what you're doing in the SM you can permanently screw up your TV, not to mention void the warranty when you access it.
post #569 of 1285 Old 08-13-2007, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Just approximate it. It doesnt have to be exact.
If you run the disc for around 10 hours a day and watch another 2 hours a day of your shows/movies, just remember how many days and multiply by 12. Easy enough if you dont feel comfortable in the service menu.
-Evangelo2
post #570 of 1285 Old 08-13-2007, 08:36 PM

Okay so I got my new Samsung 4254 today and didn't see this thread until watching TV and playing some games but I have a couple questions.

Not sure what settings the TV should be on when using it but here is what I did:

Turned off dynamic and put on Standard
Gamma: -2
Brightness: 30
Contrast: 40
Energy Saving Mode: High

Is this okay? Should they be turned higher or lower? Any other settings I should pay attention to while using this break in CD? I was going to let it run overnight but wanted to be sure of this stuff before I do.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Pioneer , Pioneer Elite

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page