AVS Forum banner

Download Break In DVD (SVCD)

733K views 1K replies 600 participants last post by  Stanton 
#1 ·

DVD-R Version Now Available!

Hey Guys,

You can download the Break In DVD-R and S-VCD Here ! After the site loads click the link to download the zip file or the link to jump to the downloads page.

This file is a zipped up Nero Disc Image (nrg file). Unzipped it is pretty large (~700 Mb) but zipped it was very small (2 MB). This disc image should be burned to a regular CD-R. The disc image is a Super Video CD so your DVD player needs to be able to play SVCD's. It is basically a set of 20 images that are 720p native resolution. The images are full screen colors so that the entire screen is 1 color at a time. The colors go from a white to a dark grey in 5 gradients, white to blue in 5 gradients, white to green in 5 gradients and white to red in five gradients. The images change every 30 seconds and the disc goes for approximately 16 hours (double check that number when you open the image in Nero). I created the disc like this so that the DVD players loop functionality does not have to be relied on. Furthermore there is no menu for this SVCD so there is no fear of a menu coming up and being stuck on the screen.

I have been breaking in my Pioneer PDP-5050HD using this disc and my Pio Elite DV-59AVi DVD player that is set to 720p output over HDMI. I turn down the contrast and brightness to conform with regular breakin levels. Currently I have 202 hours on my plasma in 11 days due to this break in dvd that works flawlessly. I plan on continuing to use the DVD until I hit 1000 hours and then I will just shelf it for the future.

Everyone, please enjoy and feel free to ask any questions.

-Evangelo2

[EDIT-Feb 27, 2006 1:20PM]

I have just updated the link above to point to a geocities page I have to host this file. Please only download once as I don't know the kind of bandwidth geocities gives for free.

Some people have reported that when this file is emailed, hotmail reports it as a possible virus. The only thing I can think of is that the zip file is 2 meg and the unzipped image is ~700 meg due to repeating images. I have scanned the file many times over and over with my up to date Norton Antivirus 2005 and the file is clean. It is a hotmail issue.

Enjoy All,

-Evangelo2

/EDIT]

[EDIT-Feb 27, 2006 5:11PM]

Just re-updated the link with a new site. Geocities gave us the shaft with bandwidth. The site is brand new so it may take some time for the DNS to filter down to you but it is already up here in LI, NY.

Enjoy All,

-Evangelo2

[/EDIT]

[EDIT-Apr 13, 2006 12:27PM]

Thank again zachaller for hosting the file for us in the beginning.

[/EDIT]

[EDIT-May 03, 2006 09:40AM]

The DVD-R Version of the Break In SVCD is now available! There are available downloads in iso format, nrg format and video_ts format! This DVD has been authored in 16:9 mode so please keep that in mind whith your DVD Player Settings.

I have not tested the DVD-R in my DVD Player yet but I will tonight. I have tested it using Power DVD on my computer and everything looked fine.

If you download and use the DVD-R please send me feedback letting me know if it worked for you or not, the DVD player brand and model you are using and the output resolution. I will try to keep a list up of players that have used this succesfully.

Enjoy!

-Evangelo2

[/EDIT]

There are basically two schools of thought, none of which is incorrect...

1 - Low Contrast/Brightness - The main reason to do this is a precaution sao that if anything goes wrong with your DVD player or TV durring unattended running of the breakin dvd or images, you will minimize the risk of doing any damage. Risk is minimized because the brightness and contrast is low. Break in *may* take a little longer when using the disc like this but I feel it is safer and go this route myself, since I prefer to err on the side of caution.

2 - Torch Mode - In torch mode, you are more intensly displaying the images, thus breaking in the plasma MUCH faster. Downside is that if something goes wrong (and of course it shouldn't, but this is an imperfect world and unexcpected things do happen), you have a much higher chance of getting serious burn in (permanent IR) that may not be correctable.

The choice of which way to go is up to the individual. Both mehtods are technically and logically sound, just a different perspective.

Keep in mind, when using my preferred method (very low cotrast and brightness), you should switch to calibrated settings when you want to watch something durring the break in period and avoid black bars as well as high contrast static images that can be on the screen for a long time (e.g. CNN or ESPN tickers...).

-Evangelo2

See less See more
#7 ·
Glad you got it to work Pete! Like I said, I've been using it for almost 2 weeks now without any issues. My plasma is pretty much broken in now that I ahve surpassed the 200 hour mark. I will continue ot use the break in dvd at least until the 500 hour mark then I can shelf it for the next plasma I buy

zachaller is absolutely correct about why the file zips to such a small size.

Now, I just wait for my Salamander Triple 20" to be delvered tomorrow

-Evangelo2

#11 ·
pbturk,

Do you have Nero installed? If so you should be able to select the Disc Image when creating a SVCD from a disc image. I don't know if double clicking it in windows will open it correctly and I think the .nrg file is specifically for Nero. I can try and rip a .iso file this weekend so it is more generic but if this does not zip up as nice as the .nrg file it may be large and hard to download.

-Evangelo2

Captain8bit,

Download the iamge and burn it if your DVD player can play SVCD. You'llg et through the breakin in no time!

-Evangelo2

#12 ·
Evangelo2,

Thanx for the SVCD, just downloaded it.

Take Care,

Richard

#13 ·
-Evangelo2...

Really Enjoyed your Travel Pics !!

Just kidding !!

Thanks for getting this done ! Got it Downloaded & Burned with No problems.

Plan on running it in the morning before I leave for work.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougRuss /forum/post/0

-Evangelo2...

Really Enjoyed your Travel Pics !!

Just kidding !!

Thanks for getting this done ! Got it Downloaded & Burned with No problems.

Plan on running it in the morning before I leave for work.

Scared me there. As long as they are not pics of the GF or I'd be DEAD!

#17 ·
bruce,

I guess it can be used on any widescreen display. I don't know if it is necessary to break in other displays like LCDs...

hammyoni,

I hear you on the electric bill but its football season and with the ammount of TV I watch I would not hit 200 hours until November. Not a option for me

-Evagnelo2

#18 ·
Thanks for this... it works perfectly (on my old TV).

Now... all I need is my new PDP, and I'll be ready to rock!

cheers

shane

#21 ·
Thanks! Cool Idea. My only problem is none of my players do SVCD! I could always just hook a notebook up and run from PC.

Thanks!

John

#24 ·
plasma_cricket,

DId you burn the image using Nero? Is it on a CD-R as a lot of DVD players do not playy +R or RW. It should definitely play on your computer as it is a SVCD. I am playing it on a Pioneer ELite DV-59AVi set to output 720p. I'll try it on ym comp later on today in PowerDVD for you.

Cynder, enjoy. I figure the least I could do for this community that has given me so much knowledge in this area was to share this file

-Evangelo2

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma_cricket /forum/post/0

Evangelo2-

My DVD player plays SVCDs that are burned on -R+r. I used Nero to burn the SVCD. I am not sure whats wrong???

Does it just Reject the disk? Is the counter working.

It does start off with a light colored Blank Screen.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.