Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 210 Old 10-19-2005, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
R11 -

You know what is ridiculous about that link you provided? The name Bravia, itself.

BRAVIA - Best Resolution Audio Visual Integrated Architecture

That is a flat out lie. What about the Westy 37" ???????

Talk about hype !! The name itself, BRAVIA, is a lie.
It does not get much worse than that.

I checked out the Sharp reds vs. Bravia. Can't tell the difference, IMO.
Sharp colors have been great, without the wide CCFL.

Again the Sony looks good. But let's cut the hype already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 210 Old 10-19-2005, 04:16 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_1080p
R11 -

You know what is ridiculous about that link you provided? The name Bravia, itself.

BRAVIA - Best Resolution Audio Visual Integrated Architecture

That is a flat out lie. What about the Westy 37" ???????

Talk about hype !! The name itself, BRAVIA, is a lie.
It does not get much worse than that.

I checked out the Sharp reds vs. Bravia. Can't tell the difference, IMO.
Sharp colors have been great, without the wide CCFL.

Again the Sony looks good. But let's cut the hype already.
What is ridiculous is getting upset about a simple marketing name ;). Marketing is hype by definition man. What do you expect?

You asked why there could be any difference between the XBR and the Sammy and I pointed out a couple reasons. Whether or not they make a difference to your eyes is for you to decide. BTW, the MSRP is actually higher on the Sammy 409, although I believe the street prices are essentially the same...

ron
post #93 of 210 Old 10-19-2005, 06:15 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross
Have you ever played with the Sony VX2000/VX2001 mini DV cameras? Simply the best in the business. Have you ever played with the Sony HDV HC1 or the FX1? Simply the best in the business. It's just silly to condemn almost everything Sony. Oh, and if you go to some of the websites that test digital still cameras, many of the Sonys get extremely high marks.

But everyone is entitled to their opinion.
I never went as far to say that sony is all bad, I do know they make some fantastic products, that HC1 & FX1 are very well respected cameras.

After seeing the experience my sister had with the still S1 or W1 cant remember the exact product code, I would never by a still camera for myself. Luckily she was able to swap it over for a much better Olympus which cost a bit less.
post #94 of 210 Old 10-19-2005, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Cornstalk
To be honest, I stay away from Sony because they are business partners with Michael Jackson. :eek:
What a stupid post ! what has this to do with PQ.

jhl
post #95 of 210 Old 10-19-2005, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11
You are comparing a limited, one-time closeout priced 37" from Costco, to the full boat MSRP price of a 40". That's not even a valid comparison. And Cnet? Are you serious?

ron
Well from reading other threads I can see this is very sensitive to others. I know it was a great deal but my intentions weren't to cause buyers remorse. Maybe make others a little jealous. Hey most posts including mine are bias. By the way if cnet reviews aren't credible then who? Do you believe we can get any unbias reviews here? Do you believe I would say oh I made a huge mistake buying the Sharp. Face it if this was basketball and the game was getting a little rough you'd say give me my ball I'm going home.

These are just my opinions.
post #96 of 210 Old 10-19-2005, 10:22 PM

[quote=ball I'm going home.[/QUOTE]

Good riddance, go home and stay there.
post #97 of 210 Old 10-20-2005, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy11
Good riddance, go home and stay there.
Dude,
Where did all this anger come from?

post #98 of 210 Old 10-20-2005, 06:55 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess I'll chime in here. I own many Sony products now, as well as in the past. I'm no hater. I have a 42" GW LCD in my bedroom, a CRT VVega tube in my kids game room, and a camera. They are all fine products. I would not hesitate to buy the new Ruby FP either. Sony is really clicking on the display side with their SXRD especially. That being said, the new FP XBR is a different story. With the current street pricing, there's no way in hell that the XBR should sell for $700+ than the comparative sized Aquos. At best the sets are equals as far as PQ goes. I'm having a hard time finding ANY LCD with the wealth of connections that my Aquos D5U has. DVI for PC, HDMI, 2 components, ATSC/QAM & NTSC Tuners, DUAL Firewire, etc. I had a look at the panels side by side yesterday & PQ is about a push. The Sharp destroys it with connectivity options, no question. It is a good set, just lay off the Kool Aid.

"I promise I'll never die." - Gary Johnston
post #99 of 210 Old 10-20-2005, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

I didn't know theres so much passion here. I had nothing but Sony products till about 6 months ago. But I guess my passion wasn't at the level of others. Hey I have had only good things to say about the Bravia. I loved my sony system but I choose to look at value over the name. Its a nice set. But when I touted the strengths of the Sharp the attacks come out. I know that I'm guilty of making others upset but my lord theres people up here that won't let you say what you want. And I'll defend your right to say what you want even if I disagree with you.

post #100 of 210 Old 10-20-2005, 07:29 AM

I've been owning Sony products for awhile now (as i'm sure a lot have)...

From Aiwa Cassette/Minidisc (which used to be sony)
To the first Minidisc player
to TVs
Computers
Cameras
Camcorders

My general consensus is that Sony has GREAT packaging & marketing. A lot of their products look high-tech and feel high-quality. For that reason alone i probably made a lot of purchases. That does not mean I don't buy from other manufacturers (love Panny DVD players) Of course there are better products out there.

Panny mini-systems are really nice (japanese imported)
and now my Sharp TV. I always try to buy the BEST picture/Value I can.

That said, the XBR is really nice but way overpriced... you can say what you want about the PQ but it's just not worth THAT much premium. That's a 37.5% increase over the Sharp AND comparable models like Philips/Panasonic/ even Samsung aren't that expensive.

I read an article once about how Sony continues to slip in their innovation of new products. Sony used to rule the roost with XBR tvs, trinitron, walkman... now? There are Sharp Lcds (mind you Sony came to the market late), Ipod (wheres the walkman now? Lots of new mp3 players from Sony) Sony should realize that they can't command the really high premium on products as they could in the past. Samsung has really caught up to Sony... how many of you have already begun to buy/at least consider Samsung?

Samsung already has Sony in it's target sights and always have innovated with cheaper and better quality products. How many have Samsung LCD PC monitors? I'm sure quite a few do.

The only thing Sony has really (recently) hit the nail with was the PS2. I love the ps2 :p
post #101 of 210 Old 10-20-2005, 11:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 510
In general I don't like Samsung products. They never seem to have a quality look or feel to them and I find better quality displays from a picture standpoint from other manufacturers (Panasonic, Pioneer, Fujitsu and Sony). With that said, I do feel that Sony was sleeping for the first several years of the U.S. HD rollout. But, beware, the sleeping giant has awakened. If you doubt that, look at the SXRDs and Qualias.

Some may feel the Bravia line is overpriced, but few will deny its quality.
post #102 of 210 Old 10-20-2005, 05:27 PM

After years of thinking about it, months of talking about it, and weeks of studying it, I am finally installing a complete home A/V entertainment system. The holes have been cut into the wall, and tomorrow the ceiling speakers go in and toys get hooked up. I have choosen all the components except for the TV. I was going to get the 45" Sharp Aquos, but after finding this forum and specifically this thread, the 40" Sony Bravia is now being seriously considered.

The display will be a LCD. I have a very bright living room, leave the TV on often throughout the day (so power consumption and burn in are issues), and am installing it on the wall (so weight is an issue). The living area is small and the average viewing distance will be 11" , so a 45" is the biggest screen I want to get.

Considering the better PC input (I plan on using it occaisonally as a PC monitor, although you never know how these new toys will get used until they have been used for a few months.), the better PQ quality (seems to be the consensus of most on this thread) and the savings, I am leaning toward the Sony, despite it being 5" smaller.

OPINIONS REQUESTED: Are there other features on the Sharp that would make it worth the extra $$$$? I can afford it, if justified. Am I missing anything? One way or the other, I buy and hook up tomorrow so waiting for the Sharp price decrease or the Sony 46" are not options.

TIA to the experts on this thread.
post #103 of 210 Old 10-20-2005, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

The Sharp panel is 1920X1080 where the Sony is 1366X768. That kinda makes it an unfair comparison. However, why not consider a 37" in lieu of a 40"? Pricing is better and you can judge the rest for yourself.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
post #104 of 210 Old 10-20-2005, 06:04 PM

The 45" Sharps are simply stunning. As much as I'm no an LCD fan, they were the first LCD that actually made my jaw drop.

And as someone said they are true 1920x1080i.
post #105 of 210 Old 10-20-2005, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Since you can afford it, go for MORE size. For a living room, 50" would be better at 11', but for LCD other than projection 45" is as good as it gets for now at reasonable prices.

Don't err on the side of TOO SMALL.
post #106 of 210 Old 10-21-2005, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband
Dude,
Where did all this anger come from?
Ain't that the truth? It's just television, not something really important, like Mac vs PC!

:)
post #107 of 210 Old 10-21-2005, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvernon
Ain't that the truth? It's just television, not something really important, like Mac vs PC!

:)
Linux rules! :)
post #108 of 210 Old 10-21-2005, 06:49 AM

I fiddled around with a Bravia tonight at work, hooked up a Samsung HD747, but realised there is no damned HDMI or DVI connectors on the Bravias. GRRR!
Who's smart idea was it to exclude HDMI/DvI?

Got it all going anyway, picture quality was good, but nothing breathtaking or brilliant that'd make me cream my pants and want one over a plasma.

In comparion I did some fiddling with the Philips 42PF9966 tweaked it a bit, fiddled with the ambilight settings more, and I was impressed.
post #109 of 210 Old 10-21-2005, 06:56 AM

I'm fairly sure there is a HDMI on it.

Quick question. I know we can't post pricing (man do I hate that) but could you tell me if the 45" is in the same ballpark as the 40" Sony. I was surprised to see the Sony go up $100 this week at BB and ABC Warehouse. I am considering this set, I just wish Costco carried it. They do have the 32" Sony.
post #110 of 210 Old 10-21-2005, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeisgood217
After years of thinking about it, months of talking about it, and weeks of studying it, I am finally installing a complete home A/V entertainment system. The holes have been cut into the wall, and tomorrow the ceiling speakers go in and toys get hooked up. I have choosen all the components except for the TV. I was going to get the 45" Sharp Aquos, but after finding this forum and specifically this thread, the 40" Sony Bravia is now being seriously considered.

The display will be a LCD.

OPINIONS REQUESTED: Are there other features on the Sharp that would make it worth the extra $$$$? I can afford it, if justified. Am I missing anything? One way or the other, I buy and hook up tomorrow so waiting for the Sharp price decrease or the Sony 46" are not options.
______

Check both sets (Sharp & Sony) being considered for the inputs you want, especially if PC connectivity is important. Apparently the very latest Sharp 37" models deleted DVI in to meet a price point (but the 45" ones still have it.) The earlier 37" Sharps still have DVI. Does the Sony have DVI? Do you need a analog PC input connection?

I wish both manufacturers offer more HD inputs to allow for future expansion without having to add external switching. Not sure about the inputs on the Sony, but believe either set would meet your needs. I own a 37" Sharp, and my Neighbor just bought the 40" Sony Bravia. Both look great in a home environment.
post #111 of 210 Old 10-21-2005, 07:38 AM

One of my considerations was that the 40" Bravia cost significantly less than the 45" Aquos. My comments on what I could get each at were deleted by the moderator, but the Bravia was about 30% cheaper (I hope that won't get deleted!). All else being equal I would spend the extra money on the Aquos, but with so many raving about the quality of the Sony Bravia, and the cost savings (almost enough to pay for most of my other AVS components) I am getting the Sony. Posts on other threads say that the Aquos MSRP is supposed to come down a lot after November 1st. If you can wait until then, the Aquos might be a better buy.

Hope this helps. I am a newbie but have spent a lot of time deciding between the two and am happy to pass on the experience.
post #112 of 210 Old 10-21-2005, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoviDave
I'm fairly sure there is a HDMI on it.

Quick question. I know we can't post pricing (man do I hate that) but could you tell me if the 45" is in the same ballpark as the 40" Sony. I was surprised to see the Sony go up $100 this week at BB and ABC Warehouse. I am considering this set, I just wish Costco carried it. They do have the 32" Sony.
The Bravia I was mucking around with tonight had 2 components, s-video, composite and RGB but did not have HDMI. It was a 32" im almost certain. Just check tomorrow, but I do know that it had NO HDMI, and when I flicked through the input selections there was no HDMI option.

I too thought they had HDMI unless its the larger models only.
post #113 of 210 Old 10-21-2005, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwmjt
The Bravia I was mucking around with tonight had 2 components, s-video, composite and RGB but did not have HDMI. It was a 32" im almost certain. Just check tomorrow, but I do know that it had NO HDMI, and when I flicked through the input selections there was no HDMI option.

I too thought they had HDMI unless its the larger models only.
All the Bravias have HDMI, it does not show on the input selections unless you label it so... When flipping through the TV/Video even the PC input is not labeled and only shows up as Video 7.

I checked the regular Bravia/XBR/and Costco model. They should all have it.

FYi if youre looking in the back HDMI plugs are usually recessed underneath a Panel and flush with the wall. I spent awhile looking for mine on the philips and sharp and sony panel i had.
post #114 of 210 Old 10-21-2005, 02:35 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcband
Well from reading other threads I can see this is very sensitive to others. I know it was a great deal but my intentions weren't to cause buyers remorse. Maybe make others a little jealous. Hey most posts including mine are bias. By the way if cnet reviews aren't credible then who? Do you believe we can get any unbias reviews here? Do you believe I would say oh I made a huge mistake buying the Sharp. Face it if this was basketball and the game was getting a little rough you'd say give me my ball I'm going home.
Hey cbander, don't get me wrong, I happen to think Sharp makes great LCD TV's. And you definitely got a outstanding deal on the 37" at Costco too. It was just that you were arguing that Sharp was the better "value" (which they may be, depending on exactly what one values) and then offered up your purchase (which was definitely not regular pricing) as an example. I actually considered picking one of those Costco 37's up but ultimately decided I would rather have a faster panel even if it cost me more. As far as taking the ball home, naw, it that were the case I wouldn't have even posted. I actually like a good debate :D.

ron
post #115 of 210 Old 10-21-2005, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

There's a lot of cool features on the Sony that no-one seems to be mentioning or paying much attention to.

1). Component input on the side, totalling 3 total component inputs
2). Light sensor - nothing huge, but a cute touch
3). 7 total HD inputs - 3x Component, 1x HDMI, 1x PC, 1x CableCard 1x ATSC Tuner
4). USB Input
5). Sound improvements

In my store and our ordering region, the 40" XBR Bravia's are beyond backorder. In my particular small Best Buy, we've got a "waiting list" of over 15 customers waiting for this particular set, and we've only got 97 coming to our warehouse, which pretty much the whole entire state draws from. The sets are popular, in high demand, and hard to get for those timid about online purchases.

Regardless if it's the set you chose to buy, it's an excellent television, and a lot of people seem to agree.

I myself own a 32HL95, and I love every bit of it. I could see a $500 difference between it and the V32XBR1, but I wasn't willing to spend it.

My non-commissioned .02.
post #116 of 210 Old 10-21-2005, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesxtreme
All the Bravias have HDMI, it does not show on the input selections unless you label it so... When flipping through the TV/Video even the PC input is not labeled and only shows up as Video 7.

I checked the regular Bravia/XBR/and Costco model. They should all have it.

FYi if youre looking in the back HDMI plugs are usually recessed underneath a Panel and flush with the wall. I spent awhile looking for mine on the philips and sharp and sony panel i had.
Im about to head to work and I will take another look, and I will photograph is necessary if I can't find it.

Either that or im totally blind :P
post #117 of 210 Old 10-21-2005, 04:50 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_006
There's a lot of cool features on the Sony that no-one seems to be mentioning or paying much attention to.
I've been looking to pick up an LCD to replace the old 20" tube TV I've got up in my exercise room for some time now. I bought a 36" XBR tube set five years ago and for the first year before I got a HD receiver and surround setup for it, I used the internal audio amp. It has a feature called steady sound that I really liked and got used to. It levels the volume between shows and commercials and it does it very well. They have the same thing on the XBR Bravias and for an application like my exercise room it would be great. I usually have the volume up pretty loud in there so I can hear the dialog over the equipment, fans, heavy breathing etc, and then commercials come on and all the sudden it's just blasting. Having to constantly grab the remote to drop the volume down for commercials and then back up again after they're over while running/working out is a big PITA. The steady sound would just be perfect for that. Now I'm way too picky about image quality, even for an exercise room TV, to buy a particular set just for a feature like that if the PQ is not up to par. But it definitely could be a serious swing factor given approx equal PQ though...

ron
post #118 of 210 Old 10-22-2005, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwmjt
I fiddled around with a Bravia tonight at work, hooked up a Samsung HD747, but realised there is no damned HDMI or DVI connectors on the Bravias. GRRR!
Who's smart idea was it to exclude HDMI/DvI?

Got it all going anyway, picture quality was good, but nothing breathtaking or brilliant that'd make me cream my pants and want one over a plasma.

In comparion I did some fiddling with the Philips 42PF9966 tweaked it a bit, fiddled with the ambilight settings more, and I was impressed.
There is VGA instead of DVI & there is HDMI. If one reads through the posts one can recognise that you have serious objectivity problems. Your views are not balanced whatsoever. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but stop spreading disinformation. It doesn't help anyone in this forum.
post #119 of 210 Old 10-22-2005, 11:11 AM

cmwmjt,

If you the Sony you are fiddling with is a KDL-V32XBR1 (or 40) then you got the right set. The V means it is worth looking at. Replace the V with an S, and then you don't get Wega Engine processor, and it is not worth buying--unless there is a new one that I don't know about. The HDMI port is at the back and says HDMI right on it. ;-)

--Pizpot
pizpot@shaw.ca
post #120 of 210 Old 10-22-2005, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Checked out the 40" Bravia XBR tonight.
Tweeked backlight, other controls, compared with a new 37" Sharp and Samsung 40".

Result: Sony was comparable to Sharp, did not "blow it away".
Off axis - Sony and new Sharp did very well on null input - black off axis.
Samsung was awash with backlight off axis.
Philips off axis was terrible - bright pale bluish glow from backlight.

Sony and Sharp did equally well with reds.
Sony styling is terrible, also it's a fatso (depth).
Connections are in the back center, where you do not want them - wall mount is there.
Sony backlight adjustment helps - should be on all LCD TV's.

Now put this panel in a floating glass design at 46" - then its a home run.
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page