MASTER BURN-IN/BREAK-IN THREAD: ALL POSTS HERE ONLY! - Page 100 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #2971 of 2990 Old 10-08-2007, 05:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello can somebody quickly give me specific break-in settings for a Panasonic TH-50PZ700U? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 2990 Old 10-15-2007, 06:24 PM

Hey guys, Ive been reading about burn-in for quite some time now and there's something i don't get:
Burn-in is basically uneven phosphor wear, right? So lets say i watch an static image for 60 straight hours ( just to say any hipotetical number), now that seems like a lot of time and would make most plasma owners cry just to think about it (I know I would); but when you think about it, 60 hours out of the 60000 hrs of the panels lifespan its practically nothing! its less than .1% of the total time, so would this cause burn-in? and if so, why?? i mean, if the panels life was only a thousand hours it would make more sense to me that such amount of time would have a bigger effect on the wear of the TV... but 60 hours out of 60,000??
I dont know if im making any sense or if im missing something, but I thought it doesnt hurt to ask!
post #2973 of 2990 Old 10-16-2007, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpg21 View Post

Hey guys, Ive been reading about burn-in for quite some time now and there's something i don't get:
Burn-in is basically uneven phosphor wear, right? So lets say i watch an static image for 60 straight hours ( just to say any hipotetical number), now that seems like a lot of time and would make most plasma owners cry just to think about it (I know I would); but when you think about it, 60 hours out of the 60000 hrs of the panels lifespan its practically nothing! its less than .1% of the total time, so would this cause burn-in? and if so, why?? i mean, if the panels life was only a thousand hours it would make more sense to me that such amount of time would have a bigger effect on the wear of the TV... but 60 hours out of 60,000??
I dont know if im making any sense or if im missing something, but I thought it doesnt hurt to ask!

You are absolutely correct. For example, if you have a static image on for 60 hours of the first 100 hours of life on the TV, then yes the static image will be retained since it is 60% of the total usage. But as you panel continues to age assuming that you don't display that same static image, the phosphor wear will even out and the image retention will likely be gone. Once you get to 1000 or 2000 hours, that static image accounts for only 3-6% of the total usage which is well below the 15% maximum specified by the panasonic white paper.
post #2974 of 2990 Old 10-19-2007, 07:03 AM

Guys, first off, thanks to everyone on this site for helping decide what kind of tv to get, what brand is best, and how to maximize the picture in my purchase. This thread along with others has been EXTREMELY helpful.

I decided to go w the Pioneer 5010FD and just had it installed yesterday. Overnight I decided to run the break-in DVD that can be found on this site w D-Nice's settings. For those who are unfamiliar with it, the dvd consists of nothing more than one color being displayed on the tv, w the colors changing every 30-60 seconds. First color is white, 30 seconds later it goes to off-white, etc, and yes, it takes up the entire screen. Of course, I woke up this morning to find the screen lit up bright green and the dvd player frozen. It had been frozen there for 6 hours. Pretty happy about that.

Me being very much uneducated as to burn-in, I was panicking, but I turned the tv to discovery HD and the picture seemed to be just fine. I let it run on that for about an hour this a.m. before turning the whole thing off before leaving for the day. Two questions -

1) what, if any, damage have I done in the long run to my TV? Will it favor any colors now?

2) If I lose my mind and decide to run the dvd again on the same malfunctioning DVD player and the same result happens, do I risk burn-in? From the brief skimming of these posts it seems burn-in is caused by uneven wear on the tv, but w the frozen screen here, there is no-unevenness about it... so is there a burn-in risk associated with this?

thanks in advance for any posters help here. I've gone from enjoying my TV to being paranoid about breaking it in overnight!
post #2975 of 2990 Old 10-19-2007, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tace13 View Post

Guys, first off, thanks to everyone on this site for helping decide what kind of tv to get, what brand is best, and how to maximize the picture in my purchase. This thread along with others has been EXTREMELY helpful.

I decided to go w the Pioneer 5010FD and just had it installed yesterday. Overnight I decided to run the break-in DVD that can be found on this site w D-Nice's settings. For those who are unfamiliar with it, the dvd consists of nothing more than one color being displayed on the tv, w the colors changing every 30-60 seconds. First color is white, 30 seconds later it goes to off-white, etc, and yes, it takes up the entire screen. Of course, I woke up this morning to find the screen lit up bright green and the dvd player frozen. It had been frozen there for 6 hours. Pretty happy about that.

Me being very much uneducated as to burn-in, I was panicking, but I turned the tv to discovery HD and the picture seemed to be just fine. I let it run on that for about an hour this a.m. before turning the whole thing off before leaving for the day. Two questions -

1) what, if any, damage have I done in the long run to my TV? Will it favor any colors now?

2) If I lose my mind and decide to run the dvd again on the same malfunctioning DVD player and the same result happens, do I risk burn-in? From the brief skimming of these posts it seems burn-in is caused by uneven wear on the tv, but w the frozen screen here, there is no-unevenness about it... so is there a burn-in risk associated with this?

thanks in advance for any posters help here. I've gone from enjoying my TV to being paranoid about breaking it in overnight!

well, at least the red was accross the whole screen... so all pixels were "stressed" uniformly... Probably not a big deal...
post #2976 of 2990 Old 10-19-2007, 09:41 AM

Tace13

Don't think ther'll be any damage. Too short a time. But really, there's no need of such methods of breaking plasmas nowadays. Just watch your TV in full-screen mode for a time being, say, 200 hours. Don't torture your fine TV (and yourself) - enjoy it.
post #2977 of 2990 Old 10-27-2007, 07:42 PM

I'm brand new to the forum and have been reading it for the past several hours. I am awaiting the delivery of my 4264 and I was wondering if instead of purchasing or downloading one of these "burn-in cd's" - would it be possible to have the set tuned to the Discovery Channel 24/7 until it reaches approximately 200 hours - would this prevent burn-in or have no effect?
Thanks!
Ron
post #2978 of 2990 Old 10-27-2007, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpg21 View Post

Burn-in and Image retention are two very different causes that look similar in appearance. Image retention in Plasma displays is due to residual charge in cells that have been on for extended periods. To eliminate image retention you need to white-wash the screen for several hours (full white screen).

Burn-in is uneven wear of the phosphor and is considered physical damage to the phosphor material and in general cannot ever be repaired. Also, with newer plasma displays burn-in takes much longer than 60 hours.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
post #2979 of 2990 Old 10-31-2007, 09:09 AM

I just brought home a Panasonic TH42PC77U to hang on my back patio just above the white intercom unit in the picture. The manual does not mention "break in"
LL
post #2980 of 2990 Old 11-01-2007, 10:43 PM

OK guys/gals Im new here so please be kind.

I recently got my hands on a 50-inch Dell Plasma TV (Model W5001C) from my brother in-law. He had used it to display security camera video feeds and it has some horrible "burn-in" ( I will post photos when I get home). It was running 10-12 hrs a day five days a week for about 7 months straight. I have been searching the web for anything to try to fix the "burn in" or at least make it less noticable. I have tried leaving it on a "snowy" channel for several hours (8 to be exact) which helped some and I have tried Jscreenfix with no results at all. In the tvs setup menu there is a "Plasma Conditioning" option that displays a white screen but that had no effect as well.

Is there anything at all that I can do now? Should I try leaving the "snowy" channel on longer or am I completly SOL?
post #2981 of 2990 Old 11-08-2007, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xIGuNDoCIx View Post

OK guys/gals Im new here so please be kind.

I recently got my hands on a 50-inch Dell Plasma TV (Model W5001C) from my brother in-law. He had used it to display security camera video feeds and it has some horrible "burn-in" ( I will post photos when I get home). It was running 10-12 hrs a day five days a week for about 7 months straight. I have been searching the web for anything to try to fix the "burn in" or at least make it less noticable. I have tried leaving it on a "snowy" channel for several hours (8 to be exact) which helped some and I have tried Jscreenfix with no results at all. In the tvs setup menu there is a "Plasma Conditioning" option that displays a white screen but that had no effect as well.

Is there anything at all that I can do now? Should I try leaving the "snowy" channel on longer or am I completly SOL?

It's worth a shot. If nothing else it will make a great outdoor set for bbq's.

Only watches movies on celluloid in the DOP's personal home theater.
post #2982 of 2990 Old 11-15-2007, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Samsung has done some research on Plasma image ghosting in order to find the true cause. They have found the following:

Image Retention: Caused by residual wall charge left in a cell after discharge. The residual charge increases the discharge probability of the cell and reduces the discharge delay time resulting in a brighter luminance than normal. Image retention can be removed by short periods of white wash or normal program viewing. In other words it is easily removed.

Image Sticking: Caused by excessive sputtering of MgO onto the phosphor material and cell wall during excessive sustained discharge. It is usually characterized as having a slightly brighter ghost image on a dark screen and a slightly darker ghost image on a bright screen. This is a semi-permanent phenomenon. However, it has been found that a white wash of 100hours can completely resolve the image stick.

Burn-In As we all know is uneven-phosphor aging and is permanent. It is also the most difficult to achieve and therefore the most unlikely scenario.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
post #2983 of 2990 Old 11-27-2007, 02:46 PM

Can someone post pictures of a burned in (or with major IR) plasma screen? Everyone worries about it, but I never see any hard evidence.
post #2984 of 2990 Old 11-27-2007, 07:22 PM

Hello newbie help please.
i tried to add to earlier post but no response.

I have had a pdp 4270 for about a year and a half.
Just got a toshiba A2 (walmart deal!!) hooked it up and watched the planet earth hddvd.

For the first time i noticed vertical lines especially in scenes where there is a confluent whitish background - like snow/ice. The middle of the screen seems yellowish and lateral portions bilaterally a little brighter.

Never saw this before but when i played around, the vertical bars seem to be corresponding to my COX CABLE CHANNEL GUIDE.
I am the main tv person in the house and the unit never stays on the channel guide for more than a few seconds.
Ive left it on for several hours (discoveryHD) with no fading of these lines.

Can anyone help please! Im planning a couple of flat panels for a new home and am getting a little skiddish if this burn in/ir is a problem.

DO i use a white wash? where do i find that. or try the burn in dvd.

I have seen similar posts but no real suggestions for this.
Please help im freaked out!!!

thanks in advance.
post #2985 of 2990 Old 11-27-2007, 07:35 PM

Hey guys lots of posts. New 5054 owner here. I have a few questions. Can I play any Xbox 360 games during the first 100 hours of use? Today I was breaking in the set and muted the screen, after an hour I noticed that the "mute" icon was on the screen, I unmuted it and can see some image retention where the mute icon was. I am running the scrolling screensaver now to further break in the set and hopefully remove the square where the mute button was (its very faint, only noticeable when looking for it).

Tomorrow I am supposed to have a buddy come over and play some 360 games but I am worried that it will result in more image retention/burn in. Should I hold off on 360 games until 100 hours of break in? Also did I damage the screen with the mute button or will the image fade?

Thanks for your help, I searched the forums for answers but these threads are huge!
post #2986 of 2990 Old 11-28-2007, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcactus View Post

Hey guys lots of posts. New 5054 owner here. I have a few questions. Can I play any Xbox 360 games during the first 100 hours of use? Today I was breaking in the set and muted the screen, after an hour I noticed that the "mute" icon was on the screen, I unmuted it and can see some image retention where the mute icon was. I am running the scrolling screensaver now to further break in the set and hopefully remove the square where the mute button was (its very faint, only noticeable when looking for it).

Tomorrow I am supposed to have a buddy come over and play some 360 games but I am worried that it will result in more image retention/burn in. Should I hold off on 360 games until 100 hours of break in? Also did I damage the screen with the mute button or will the image fade?

Thanks for your help, I searched the forums for answers but these threads are huge!

It would be safer yes.... I know I did... 100hours goes fast if you leave the TV on all night.../day with break-in dvd... I did 200+ to be safe.. Now I play my games without fretting it..

www.samsungplasmatvfaq.com for more info....
post #2987 of 2990 Old 11-29-2007, 04:00 PM

i've had a panny th50px75 for about 100 hours and didn't run the break-in dvd. Now, if I run it a few times for a few hours every now and then, will it help to even the phosphor aging from 4:3 and non-zoomed watching on the TV. Or is it going to make matter worse? Screen uniformity looks perfect to me, but I don't wanna take any risk since my family has a hard time pressing on the button to switch aspect ratios on the TV.

Bottom line, is it good to run the break-in dvd after the first 100 hours up to the next 200 hours?
post #2988 of 2990 Old 12-03-2007, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 320
Bump

still need a volunteer to start new thread

PM me [please]

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
post #2989 of 2990 Old 12-08-2007, 02:31 PM

Could someone please give me a link or just list the recommended BREAK-IN settings for my new 42" PX75U plasma?? I can't find them anywhere.

Thanks!
post #2990 of 2990 Old 12-08-2007, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 320
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=949107

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page