Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hey guys,

Check this out when you have a chance.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=415612

Quick Reference of Forum Rules
1) Do Not post pricing you found on-line or at a local dealer UNLESS IN A DEALS THREAD.
2) Do Not ask for, or offer, a receipt so people can price match.
3) Do Not say to "Call John Smith at ..." (you know what I mean)
4) Do Not put down someone else's choice in...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 2990 Old 07-06-2004, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally posted by YahooSerious
Create a screensaver(should be a freeware one out there somewhere) and make it so white fills the whole screen. Then turn off monitor powersave, so its displayed without the monitor turning off. You should see the burn in disappear(its going to take a little while though).

Hi there Yahoo,

Any suggestion on how long to leave the white screensaver on? I set my taskbar to auto-hide, put a white background to my computer, which I've had on all day so far. I don't see a difference, and I'm wondering if it's safe to leave on an all white screensaver over night.

-JR
post #123 of 2990 Old 07-08-2004, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 256
Quote:

Originally posted by markrubin
Sharp offers to replace my burned-in LC30HV2U!

Thanks to Mike53, a rep from Sharp called and said they want to replace my LC30 that I reported here with burn-in

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...42#post3661342

Arrangements have been made to replace it with a new LC30HV4U

Thanks to Mike and Sharp

Kudos to Sharp: they delivered a new LC30HV4U today and took away the burned-in unit

Thanks again to Sharp and Mike53

Please take the high road in every post
Please do not quote or respond to problematic posts: report them to mods to handle
Link to sponsors
good to be back to vBulletin
post #124 of 2990 Old 07-13-2004, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've got a new plasma screen (3 wks old) and I've already detected some very slight burn in. On ESPN HD, they have the side bars that have "HD" written in them during some of their programming. When I'm switching between inputs, I can tell a very faint burn-in of those lines.

Also, there appeared to be a slight burn-in from the channel information guide at the top of the screen although that appears to have gone away now.

At any rate, am I being to burn-in paranoid? Or is this just the way plasma screens are. Its a Hitachi by the way.
post #125 of 2990 Old 07-13-2004, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

You should read the Master Burn-in Thread
post #126 of 2990 Old 07-13-2004, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Glad to help. We want no unhappy customers out there.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
post #127 of 2990 Old 07-13-2004, 12:54 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Originally posted by Mike53
Glad to help. We want no unhappy customers out there.

Man, I wish all companies felt this way. It's funny...I can't even get a guy who works for Denon, and advertises at AVS, to offer advice on the best way to go about getting a Denon DVD player serviced!!

Nice job Mike. SHARP is on my list of customer friendly manufacturers now.

Although, after the way I harrassed you in that thread a few weeks back, I'll bet your saying..."good, I hope you and your player rot".
post #128 of 2990 Old 07-13-2004, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

This thread should be moved to the "master burnin thread", hence the "all questions go here" statement. With that being said you would have hit alot of peoples email accounts for answers concerning this topic.

At any rate, what about 3.5 % , adjust your sets contrast and brightness, that should do it. Go out and get Avia if you don't have it yet and use it.

As an aside I finally witnessed "image retention" on my unit the other night. Had just started up the DVD "Galataca" (very white and burning type in the beginning of the movie) when the youngest came and said he didn't feel well and would I go upstairs with him.

Turned everything off and for ~1.5 secs the beginning of the movie was there...then magically not there.

Burn-in, as stated before, is overly hyped, IMHO.

Dave, Rogo, Mark, time to move this puppy.
post #129 of 2990 Old 07-13-2004, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Done. I feel the power running through me....

I concur highly with the recommendation to get Avia or Digitial Video Essentials (the former is easier to use).

If you have not seen this month's issue of The Perfect Vision, get a copy.

Mark

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #130 of 2990 Old 07-13-2004, 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by rmcgirr83
This thread should be moved to the "master burnin thread", hence the "all questions go here" statement. With that being said you would have hit alot of peoples email accounts for answers concerning this topic.

Oops. I should have figured that the message should go in that folder.

Does anyone have any experience with the ESPN side bars? Thanks.
post #131 of 2990 Old 07-13-2004, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by JuiceRocket
Hi there Yahoo,

Any suggestion on how long to leave the white screensaver on? I set my taskbar to auto-hide, put a white background to my computer, which I've had on all day so far. I don't see a difference, and I'm wondering if it's safe to leave on an all white screensaver over night.

-JR

For what it's worth, I've changed the area of my taskbar, put my computer to show an all white background at all times, and even left the computer on for a 6 hour period with an all white screensaver on.

The burn-in/image retention on my LCD is still apparent, and has not faded or vanished, if anything, it appears it's blurred or something.

-JR
LL
post #132 of 2990 Old 07-13-2004, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by seabay
Oops. I should have figured that the message should go in that folder.

Does anyone have any experience with the ESPN side bars? Thanks.

I know exactly what you're talking about. That's their "new and improver" version. It has not manifested itself on my set, FWIW my panny's contrast and brightness are in the negatives on a scale of -30 to 30. That is for watching regular SDTV, for HDTV my set was professionally calibrated but still the picture setting is -20.

Get Avia/DVE and run it,IMHO, it will do a lot to curb the phenomena that you are experiencing.
post #133 of 2990 Old 07-13-2004, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member

Some movies are that really wide anamorphic 2.8 to 1 or something that would put letterbox on even a 16:9 . What potential for burn in is there, considering that watching 4:3 is discouraged due to burnin on the sides.
post #134 of 2990 Old 07-13-2004, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Ben-Her is 2.76 but no modern films are shot in an ultra wide aspect ratio. 16x9 is 1.78, so any film or program with an aspect ratio greater than 1.78 will be letterbox. Many 1.85 films are open matted to 1.78 and/or many displays overscan so you want see the small black bars. 2.35 is the next most common aspect ratio used.

As for burn in potential, it depends. LCD won't burn in. And a properly calibrated plasma is not likely too.
post #135 of 2990 Old 07-13-2004, 04:09 PM

The Panasonic I just got has an auto mode that slightly elongates the picture for either 4:3 TV at the edges or fills in the top and bottom bars for really wide format DVDs.

There is a slight distortion at the very left and right edges of a TV image that is stretched in this manner but the center of the picture is in a normal ratio as far as I can tell. This mode does not bother me in the least as most of the action is in the middle 36" or so of the screen.

When the auto mode fills in the top and bottom of an ultra wide movie format, there is a slight distortion of that characters appear slightly slimmer. For most films this is not bothersome but I could see where an extreme wide format film such as Ben Hur it could be a distraction as the picture would be stretched from top to bottom to the point that the characters would be un-naturally bean pole like.

Unfortunately I have not figured out yet how to make the top and bottom black bars a lighter color. For the bars that fill out the screen of a 4:3 picture, I have configured the bars to be light gray.
post #136 of 2990 Old 07-13-2004, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckofTahoe
Unfortunately I have not figured out yet how to make the top and bottom black bars a lighter color. For the bars that fill out the screen of a 4:3 picture, I have configured the bars to be light gray.

I've been wondering about this very question. I don't yet have my plasma (I soon hope to own a 42PWD6UY), and so I don't have any experience with its modes of operation. But I've seen posters talking about the grey sidebars for 4:3 material, and have wondered about grey top/bottom bars for greater-than-16:9 material...

I'm now guessing that it may not be possible to get the grey top/bottom bars, because, and correct me if I am wrong, that is actually program material that is encoded on the source, as opposed to absence of signal (for 4:3 material.) As such, the plasma wouldn't be able to tell that it was supposed to make it grey.

Is that right?

- s.west

"That's not what he said, y'ignorant wretch. Your Spanish is worse than your English."
post #137 of 2990 Old 07-13-2004, 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by swest
I've been wondering about this very question. I don't yet have my plasma (I soon hope to own a 42PWD6UY), and so I don't have any experience with its modes of operation. But I've seen posters talking about the grey sidebars for 4:3 material, and have wondered about grey top/bottom bars for greater-than-16:9 material...

I'm now guessing that it may not be possible to get the grey top/bottom bars, because, and correct me if I am wrong, that is actually program material that is encoded on the source, as opposed to absence of signal (for 4:3 material.) As such, the plasma wouldn't be able to tell that it was supposed to make it grey.

Is that right?

- s.west

Yeah, I have not figured out how to convert the top and bottom black bars to white or gray. I am not sure this is because it is part of the signal though.

Actually, in Panasonic auto mode, the Plasma seems to have an uncanny ability to sense the black bars for both 4:3 to the right and left or black bars at the bottom and the top for DVD >16:9 widescreen movies and then perform a combination of either zoom or stretching the image to fill in the void with the active picture area.

The distortion at the very left and right edges in JUST mode for 4:3 signals is very acceptable to me and I have no problem watching TV in this mode. All I have to do is watch out for Channel bugs or nasty black bars that are part of the signal (such as stock market tickers).

The AUTO mode works really well for DVD movies and eliminates the black bars I think through a combination of slightly stretching the image vertically and a mild zoom. On most movies, it is not bothersome though I will continue to seek new solutions to this issue.

One caveat, even in AUTO mode I have observed a very small black bar at the bottom of some DVD pictures. This is only 3-4 pixels wide and can be programmed out using the picture vertical postion adjustment.

Screensavers: I am also using scrolling horizontal white bars every 15 minutes for 1 minute, peak contrast limits and the wobble screensavers. If I am watching a DVD and have eliminated the top and bottom black bars, I suspend the scrolling white bars for the duration of the movie.
post #138 of 2990 Old 07-13-2004, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The AUTO mode works really well for DVD movies and eliminates the black bars I think through a combination of slightly stretching the image vertically and a mild zoom.

???

The AUTO mode isn't available for DVDs.
post #139 of 2990 Old 07-13-2004, 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by BruZZi
???

The AUTO mode isn't available for DVDs.

It is for me BruZZi. I am feeding all of my signals into a Receiver (Kenwood VR 5700). My signals are Sony DVD, Xbox, DIrectTV through a TIVO.

With my VR 5700 selected to DVD, I select Panasonic Auto. If I am currently in FULL mode, it immediately eliminates the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen by expanding/stretching the picture.

It works quite well IMO.
post #140 of 2990 Old 07-13-2004, 04:58 PM

chuck-

using plasma at 6250+ ft elevation?
post #141 of 2990 Old 07-13-2004, 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by jeremys
chuck-

using plasma at 6250+ ft elevation?

So far so good. My unit is actually 6,600 or so. I have heard of problems up here though maybe this were the first 2-3 generations of Fujitsus. I figure if this is a problem it would show up in the first year of warranty and I could send the unit back for repair.

The manual for the Panasonics does not specify an altitude limit. Some other brands do and on the later models the limits are in excess of 9,000'.
post #142 of 2990 Old 07-13-2004, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can't. Unlike the 4:3 black bars that are produced by your DVD player or display, the black bars on a 2.35:1 film are part of the image.
post #143 of 2990 Old 07-13-2004, 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by nm88
You can't. Unlike the 4:3 black bars that are produced by your DVD player or display, the black bars on a 2.35:1 film are part of the image.

There you have it.
post #144 of 2990 Old 07-13-2004, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is for me BruZZi. I am feeding all of my signals into a Receiver (Kenwood VR 5700). My signals are Sony DVD, Xbox, DIrectTV through a TIVO.

With my VR 5700 selected to DVD, I select Panasonic Auto. If I am currently in FULL mode, it immediately eliminates the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen by expanding/stretching the picture.

It works quite well IMO.

That's Interesting.
post #145 of 2990 Old 07-13-2004, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Woodrow
Man, I wish all companies felt this way. It's funny...I can't even get a guy who works for Denon, and advertises at AVS, to offer advice on the best way to go about getting a Denon DVD player serviced!!

Nice job Mike. SHARP is on my list of customer friendly manufacturers now.

Although, after the way I harrassed you in that thread a few weeks back, I'll bet your saying..."good, I hope you and your player rot".

Nah, I don't take anything personally. But I guess I am really an LCD "fanboy".

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
post #146 of 2990 Old 07-13-2004, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 374
There are tons of 2.35:1 movies that leave bars.

You can watch such movies 20% of the time without any concern.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #147 of 2990 Old 07-13-2004, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I echo Rogo's statements. I have a PIO which has a ton of display options to fill the screen, but if you alter your viewing habits, you'll be fine. Furthermore, each letterbox seems to be slightly different. Vary your viewing habit...burn-in is overexxagerated.

Aaron
post #148 of 2990 Old 07-13-2004, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by William
LCD won't burn in.

Off topic, but sadly not true. Check here for more info.

-JR
post #149 of 2990 Old 07-13-2004, 10:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Don't worry about it. Watching one super-wide 2-3 hour movie isn't going to cause permanent burn-in. Just mix it with some full screen viewing.
post #150 of 2990 Old 07-13-2004, 11:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Please people. Back away slowly from your aspect ratio control and stretching modes and leave the original film aspect ratio be, as God (the director) intended. Do that, and no one here needs to be hurt.

Regarding burn-in, I've had the Panny ED plasma for over two years and have enjoyed many, many 2:35:1 films (black letterboxed bars top/bottom).

No burn-in whatsoever.
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page