How to get rid of ghosting? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-13-2005, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anybody knows if there is anything to do against ghosting? I have a Philips 32" LCD and this is a big issue for me. Maybe tweaking the picture, with a new firmware, or do I have to learn to live with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-13-2005, 02:20 PM

Buy a TV with a faster response time.

What is the response time of your current TV?

You really shouldn't see any ghosting if your response time is 12ms or below, even with gaming.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-13-2005, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milo_rules

You really shouldn't see any ghosting if your response time is 12ms or below, even with gaming.
Sorry to say this, but tv's like the 40 inch sony xbr lcd that state a response time of 8ms still shows smearing / ghosting with games and high action scenes, at least my eyes could see it... this is just another reason to consider plasma... no such issues with plasma.
post #4 of 13 Old 12-13-2005, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

It may not be the panel, it may be your source. Some channels do it, others don't.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-13-2005, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad0wz
Sorry to say this, but tv's like the 40 inch sony xbr lcd that state a response time of 8ms still shows smearing / ghosting with games and high action scenes, at least my eyes could see it... this is just another reason to consider plasma... no such issues with plasma.
Wow that's crazy; I have hardly any ghosting at all on my Dell 2005FPW, and the response time is listed as 16ms.

If you know what to look for, you can see a *bit* of ghosting if you move the mouse VERY quickly, but it's not noticeable 99% of the time.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-14-2005, 05:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Milo_rules,

the response time of my set is 18ms (typical). I don't know what typical means but that's how it's stated in the specs. I'm going to try to get it to service and see if I can get them to change whtat ever they need to change to get the 8ms of the other models Philips has.

Does anybody knows if the response time is a hardware or software issue?
post #7 of 13 Old 12-14-2005, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Response time is a basic characteristic of the panel. The only way to change it is to buy a new TV.

Gary

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #8 of 13 Old 12-14-2005, 09:48 AM

Quote:
If you know what to look for, you can see a *bit* of ghosting if you move the mouse VERY quickly, but it's not noticeable 99% of the time.
Agreed
post #9 of 13 Old 12-14-2005, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

There should be a universal parameter to measure time response because my LCD has 18ms and I can see a lot of it, but I have also seen it in a Sony Bravia with a theoretical 8ms response time. Or is there another factor that can cause it?

I also don't understand why when I watch DVD's it is hard to see some ghosting and with regular SD cable is there all the time, and when I watch the same signal with my old CRT is completely gone so I wouldn't say it's the signal itself.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-14-2005, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
The response times are only comparable within a single brand, and that assumes all panels are measured alike.

However since the measurement is not standardized, you can't really compare the spec across brands. One panel may displayless ghosting than another even if the specs lead you the other way.

Gary

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #11 of 13 Old 12-15-2005, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patonzon
There should be a universal parameter to measure time response because my LCD has 18ms and I can see a lot of it, but I have also seen it in a Sony Bravia with a theoretical 8ms response time. Or is there another factor that can cause it?

I also don't understand why when I watch DVD's it is hard to see some ghosting and with regular SD cable is there all the time, and when I watch the same signal with my old CRT is completely gone so I wouldn't say it's the signal itself.
The ghosting may not be response time related at all. While the today's fast LCD is still not as fast as CRT, you should just see some motion bluring.

I have a theory. If the ghosting can be seen only from SD cable, it could be the noise reduction causing the ghosting. That would explain why you don't have ghosting with progressive-scan materials (the noise reduction only works with interlaced signal). Try turning the noise reduction off!
post #12 of 13 Old 12-15-2005, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Supasso,

I hope you are right, I will try turning the noise reduction off tonight. Tell you tomorrow if it worked.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-19-2005, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Supasso,

I tried what you recommended (turning the DNR off) and found another problem with my LCD ... I can't turn the DNR off. I go in to the menu select DNR, select off, go out of the menu and when I go back in DNR is on once again. I'm definitely going to get it to service.
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page