Forum Jump: 

post #3091 of 3243 Old 06-15-2006, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RojasTKD
Good luck. I hope there are available in you area. I couldn't find any available in S. florida stores (I was willing to make a drive to pic one up). I had to order online.

Maybe you'll have better luck in you area. Let us know.

Enjoy...
AR
I bought and picked mine up on Saturday at the Best Buy in Kendall on 88st and 125 Ave at the very discounted price. RojasTKD PM me your location. [EDIT]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3092 of 3243 Old 06-15-2006, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by contaygious
i can't take it anymore im going to bb to get the 42...i'll give it a shot for a week and see if i get the lockup problem if not ima keep it!
I've had mine for a week and its locked up twice. Not a huge deal. What happens is when I go to turn it on, it just doesn't respond. I unplug it and plug it back in and then it works. It hasn't locked up when its on. Only when its off for a while and I try to turn it back on.
post #3093 of 3243 Old 06-15-2006, 12:52 PM

Also, all you 42 owners in SoCal, speak up! We need to collect a group to possibly get our firmware updated and such as well :-)
post #3094 of 3243 Old 06-15-2006, 01:30 PM

Anyone have a bright green line (sometimes white or black) running vertical along the edge.. about 2 pixels wide? This is on a DTV HD Tivo (10-250?) source.
post #3095 of 3243 Old 06-15-2006, 01:54 PM

I'm in Socal as well, San Diego to be exact and would be intereted in the firmware update as well. I should be getting my W42 on the 28th of this month.
post #3096 of 3243 Old 06-15-2006, 02:09 PM

dayumit well scratch that they sold the last one yesterday :(

they are slated to be sold until the end of 2007 at best buy though so they should get some more in....i think will wait a few weeks at least now...
post #3097 of 3243 Old 06-15-2006, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

How is it possible that when I go online now and try and have it delivered it says no dates available for delivery but when I go to local pickup it shows 1 store that has it in stock?
My car is to small to get it home wonder if I can buy it in store then have it delivered?
post #3098 of 3243 Old 06-15-2006, 02:36 PM

you can buy it in store and have it delivered. but they wont deliver it from another store... which is retarded cuz there is only 1 of these in the whole bay area and they wont ship it to me unless i drive all the way to friggin san carlos grrrrrrrrrrrr
post #3099 of 3243 Old 06-15-2006, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manekineko
I managed to get the free 15" TV by calling up Best Buy and complaining to them about the fact that they lied to me on the day of. They told me that the promotion was an old promotion and they were in the process of taking it down. The next day it was all over their webpage. They placed an order for a free in store pickup for me of the 15". First time I've ever gotten good customer service from Best Buy! Hope this helps someone else get one too.

For anyone else who got/is getting one of these 15" Konka TV's, it's advertised as EDTV, but has no component/VGA/DVI/HDMI input. I'm really confused about this, also posted this here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=konka
Anyone have any ideas if this is just straight up false advertising of its specs?
Do you have a reference number that I can forward to best buy "research team"? they are not honoring my deal. Thanks
post #3100 of 3243 Old 06-15-2006, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapa55
Do you have a reference number that I can forward to best buy "research team"? they are not honoring my deal. Thanks
I got turned down twice. I even mentioned somone else and they ignored it. I think we might have to give up on this one dood....
post #3101 of 3243 Old 06-15-2006, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cola8d8
Anyone have a bright green line (sometimes white or black) running vertical along the edge.. about 2 pixels wide? This is on a DTV HD Tivo (10-250?) source.
Any channel? I've noticed on some shows (some CBS, some NBC) when I get a thin line of yellow on the left side of screen. Other channels are fine. Once during "My name is Earl", the line appeared and disappeared a few times, going to and coming back from commercials, I'm guessing a source issue.
post #3102 of 3243 Old 06-15-2006, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoglog
I got turned down twice. I even mentioned somone else and they ignored it. I think we might have to give up on this one dood....
what's really getting me mad is that I placed an order on that day and they shipped it out. Now I guess I'm "responsible" for the shipping cost. It sucks. But I guess we win some, lose some.

I guess i'll move on. I hope the tv is still worth it with. I just don't like getting a "deal" when someone else has gotten a better one. Good job to those who got a better deal though.

Lets get back to the tv itself. Does anyone have it hooked up to a pc with a hdtv tuner? is the OTA HD channels perfectly clear like it should? does the video card in the pc matter?

I'm waiting to collect a few more bucks before I order a new HTPC so I want to know exactly what I should order to make it optimal for this "monitor"

thanks
post #3103 of 3243 Old 06-15-2006, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yunlin12
Any channel? I've noticed on some shows (some CBS, some NBC) when I get a thin line of yellow on the left side of screen. Other channels are fine. Once during "My name is Earl", the line appeared and disappeared a few times, going to and coming back from commercials, I'm guessing a source issue.
I am seeing the yellow lines that you are talking about, those lines are not annoying, but the blinking bar on the top is. I am trying to take it out without putting the TV in Fill mode
post #3104 of 3243 Old 06-15-2006, 03:41 PM

Check out my problem here, I wanna solve this without Fill Mode.

http://nirav.sunrisescrew.com/VIDEO_005.mov
post #3105 of 3243 Old 06-15-2006, 03:45 PM

"Also, all you 42 owners in SoCal, speak up! We need to collect a group to possibly get our firmware updated and such as well :-)"

I'm one - in Pasadena!
post #3106 of 3243 Old 06-15-2006, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 25
What you are seeing is produced by your source and on top is the Closed Caption datastream. This is normal as the set is in the mode to show you EVERYTHING - edge to edge. In HD mode (which does not have this information this way as it is a DIGITAL stream), you see picture edge-to-edge - however, in NTSC mode you will see other information.

"Read Less, More TV." - Dr. Gregory House

"That which can not be questioned, can not be trusted." - Me

The Metropolis Home Theater

Blue Smoke Entertainment Systems - Affiliated
post #3107 of 3243 Old 06-15-2006, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Gah! Best Buy won't have my TV in until tommorow at the best!

Oh well, I guess Christmas waits another day.
post #3108 of 3243 Old 06-15-2006, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudawg
Also, all you 42 owners in SoCal, speak up! We need to collect a group to possibly get our firmware updated and such as well :-)
Don't you think that s a wrong solution ?
Everybody does'nt leave in SoCal and can't arrange for PeterS to come to their house.
Of course I too would like to meet PeterS and have him update my TV and calibrate it. But that's not possible.

Westinghouse is supposed (and I hope that s what they are working on) to provide a solution for everybody. A solution that doesn't need to move the TV from where it stands.

JF
post #3109 of 3243 Old 06-15-2006, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfaudio
Don't you think that s a wrong solution ?
Everybody does'nt leave in SoCal and can't arrange for PeterS to come to their house.
Of course I too would like to meet PeterS and have him update my TV and calibrate it. But that's not possible.

Westinghouse is supposed (and I hope that s what they are working on) to provide a solution for everybody. A solution that doesn't need to move the TV from where it stands.

JF
In the other thread, PeterS has stated that he thinks he can get somebody to do calibrations and FW upgrades in areas of the country that have 4+ parties interested. I think he has suggested this to expedite the FW upgrade process since westinghouse is taking their sweet time...
post #3110 of 3243 Old 06-15-2006, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
what is the agreement to have everything done, update calib etc. is peterS talking about charging for this service? or is it gratis, and we cover travelling expenses?
post #3111 of 3243 Old 06-15-2006, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

ATTN:

ALL SOCAL (Southern California Owners)
I am compiling a list of people in Socal that would be interested in Peter's Services which I will then forward to him.

Currently we're looking at the options of him sending the equipment to somone in CA who is already experienced in calibration to go around calibrating and updating the firmware

OR

We can sponsor his trip.

For now I think we should compile a list and see how much interest there is. Currently I have 4 people including myself who are interested.

Just msg me with your general locale (city)
post #3112 of 3243 Old 06-15-2006, 05:13 PM

I don't know why PeterS is trying to make money off of the avsforum users by offering his calibration services/firmware upgrade excuse when Westinghouse should be doing the FIRMWARE UPGRADE for FREE! They westinghouse put out a product that is defective and they have a responsibility to provide a fix for the problem and not be trying to get calibrators to do the firmware upgarde while selling us there calibration services. One thing has nothing to do with the other. PeterS you want to pawn your calibration service FINE but don't try to pawn the firmware upgrade to us here. Westinghouse should be doing the upgrade for FREE! They put out a defective product and should be responsible to fix the product. Not PeterS. PeterS stick with your calibration service and not your Firmware upgrade service. You have no business doing the firmware upgrade when westinghouse should be doing it asap.
post #3113 of 3243 Old 06-15-2006, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

You very obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Professional calibration is not something that's done by the manufacturer. It's a service usually provided by certified technicians, i.e. - ISF. PeterS has done nothing but help everyone on this forum. He didn't need to go through the trouble of telling us that the new models are coming with updated firmware. You should do some research before babbling on about things you don't know.
post #3114 of 3243 Old 06-15-2006, 05:22 PM

post #3115 of 3243 Old 06-15-2006, 05:43 PM

Folks: please end the group calibration discussion. Non sponsored/unsolicited Powerbuys, group buys, are not allowed at AVS.

I traced the discussion back to its source in the Westy update thread and have edited that thread as well.

If you are missing a post it has been deleted due to group buy discussion.

Thanks all
post #3116 of 3243 Old 06-15-2006, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sabin
When sending SD via 480i or upconverted to 1080i, I see an intermittent vertical line down the center of the screen (reddish/green) depending on the scene. This line and when I see it is very difficult to explain. I know it's linked to sending these sets SD in interlaced mode. When I send SD upconverted to 480p or 720p, I don't see the line at all. Does anyone observe this line at times on SD (sending SD at 480i or 1080i)? Most of the time this line is very subtle when I see it. Many might not notice this it's so subtle and rarely visible. I guess I'm a little obssessive and a perfectionist though. I know it's not a defect of my set or the 42w2, since I've seen it on the other sets. This might be an issue of a 1080p display upconverting SD from interlaced vs. progressive.
I also see this line when viewing 480i from my crappy Toshiba HD Directv receiver. I thought it was the receiver. I have this monitor for a week now and every single day I experienced atleast one lockup. All of them are the same, no buttons function when the monitor is ON. Never have any incident where I cannot turn ON the set. These lockups is getting very anoying everyday. Hope I can stand it and not returning the set before 30 days past.
post #3117 of 3243 Old 06-15-2006, 06:54 PM

I have been happily using my West 42 as a monitor for my home theater pc on DVI.

I decided to buy an HDMI cable and a DVI to HDMI converter from Monoprice.

Once I plugged the new HDMI into the Westy I noticed that there was lots of strange "snow" floating around the screen. The "snow" looks like a bunch of shiny dots dancing around.

When I plugged the DVI back in the set worked perfectly.

Any ideas out there on what might be happening?
post #3118 of 3243 Old 06-15-2006, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Do any 42w2 owners have input or thoughts on the questions I asked above re: HDMI sync problems (slow sync when changing channels of different resolutions), picture quality of 720p being converted to 1080i vs. viewing 720p natively and the vertical line down the center of the screen when sending SD (in interlaced mode: 480i or 1080i)? Please reference my post above. Your thoughts are appreciated. Overall, the 42w2 is an awesome set, not to mention great price.

Thanks,
Andrew

Andrew Sabin
post #3119 of 3243 Old 06-15-2006, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Sabin
Do any 42w2 owners have input or thoughts on the questions I asked above re: HDMI sync problems (slow sync when changing channels of different resolutions), picture quality of 720p being converted to 1080i vs. viewing 720p natively and the vertical line down the center of the screen when sending SD (in interlaced mode: 480i or 1080i)? Please reference my post above. Your thoughts are appreciated. Overall, the 42w2 is an awesome set, not to mention great price.
I also noticed this. It cleared MOSTLY by changing my SA8300 Settings to:
Set: Picture Format Fixed

from the prior HDMI:Auto setting.

The input from the cable box had more trouble switching than the Westy, IMHO.
post #3120 of 3243 Old 06-15-2006, 07:59 PM

well, my old tv in the livng room just died and we are in the market for a lcd tv, i saw the tv at bestbuy and i noticed it was last weeks deal. I read the reviews on this tv and been studying up and this tv seems perfect for us.
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page