Sony Bravia 40"..... why VGA input instead of DVI? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-01-2006, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I recently won a Sony Bravia 40" KDL-V40XBR1 at a company party. I haven't had a chance to hook it up yet but I was taking a look at it and was stoked to see the vga pc input on it. Perfect for HTPC stuff. But then I immediately wondered, why VGA instead of a DVI connector? VGA is pretty much on it's way out in the world of PC's. Am I missing something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-01-2006, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobud
So I recently won a Sony Bravia 40" KDL-V40XBR1 at a company party. I haven't had a chance to hook it up yet but I was taking a look at it and was stoked to see the vga pc input on it. Perfect for HTPC stuff. But then I immediately wondered, why VGA instead of a DVI connector? VGA is pretty much on it's way out in the world of PC's. Am I missing something?
Probably because Sony went for the HDMI/HDCP for the digital hookup on that unit. That replaced the DVI input for copy protection reasons (HDCP), thus you lose the nice computer hookup...

At least you have VGA, some of the other LCDs out there that got rid of the DVI for HDMI also got rid of the PC hookups altogether...

And by the way, that's a nice company event to win a 40" XBR, nice job!!!
post #3 of 12 Old 01-01-2006, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm jealous.

Yes, DVI is on the way out in favor of the easier-to-connect and audio-carrying HDMI. You can use an HDMI to DVI adaptor, though, to input from the DVI output if you want digital quality. The signals are compatible in most cases. However, you may want to explore the XBR thread itself for directions, since some sets have quirks when using HDMI adaptors from computers.

Enjoy your TV! Grumble....

I love HD...and I hated that Anti-Consumer format war.

Now that we can move on... Blu-ray > Digital Downloads!
post #4 of 12 Old 01-01-2006, 09:20 PM
Advanced Member

where do you work?!!

i wanna get a job where i have the chance of winning a friggin $3500 tv lol
post #5 of 12 Old 01-02-2006, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavis21484
Yes, DVI is on the way out in favor of the easier-to-connect and audio-carrying HDMI.
DVI is not on the way out. HDMI is not a replacement for DVI since few current implementations support VESA computer signals beyond the very basic 640x480. HDMI is designed to be an AV interface while DVI is designed for computers. Many televisions will continue to offer both HDMI and DVI for the forseeable future (probably until UDI is ready to go).

To the original poster, the reason they went with VGA over DVI is probably cost.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-02-2006, 11:41 AM

Hi,

I've got the 32" BRAVIA XBR and the VGA connector was one of the many reasons I sprang for it. I too was worried about the quality of the signal but my PC's built-in video card only output VGA. Fortunately, my PC supports 1360x768 so I get 1-to-1 pixel mapping. (I can accept the loss of 6 pixels...) The output is gorgeous.

George
post #7 of 12 Old 01-02-2006, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel
DVI is not on the way out. HDMI is not a replacement for DVI since few current implementations support VESA computer signals beyond the very basic 640x480. HDMI is designed to be an AV interface while DVI is designed for computers. Many televisions will continue to offer both HDMI and DVI for the forseeable future (probably until UDI is ready to go).

To the original poster, the reason they went with VGA over DVI is probably cost.
Sony used to use DVI for their TV sets, but these are not the same DVI input as you would find on a computer monitor, they are actually not compatible. The DVI inputs were used for HD feed from a DVD or HD cable box or HD satellite only. So DVI is no longer being used for all Sony TVs, or Sony receivers or what have you.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-02-2006, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myz350
Sony used to use DVI for their TV sets, but these are not the same DVI input as you would find on a computer monitor, they are actually not compatible. The DVI inputs were used for HD feed from a DVD or HD cable box or HD satellite only. So DVI is no longer being used for all Sony TVs, or Sony receivers or what have you.
While that may very well be true, everything I say still stands. If Sony wants to support PCs input only through VGA, that is certainly their perogative. Meanwhile other LCD manufactures (Sharp notably) support PC input through DVI-I and also have HDMI for AV hookup.
post #9 of 12 Old 01-14-2006, 07:26 AM

Is there any picture quality loss by using VGA instead of DVI on the SONY Bravia XBR series?
post #10 of 12 Old 01-14-2006, 08:53 AM

VGA is analog, DVI is digital. you'll be hard pressed to find a huge difference between the two.
post #11 of 12 Old 01-14-2006, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesxtreme
VGA is analog, DVI is digital. you'll be hard pressed to find a huge difference between the two.
So VGA at 1366 x 768 through a PC will give good picture quality? I thought DVI was just in case you need to be HDCP compliant right? I can't wait to play some nice HDTV sources from my PC on my Bravia.

Thanks again!
post #12 of 12 Old 01-15-2006, 05:47 PM

This is why I got an HP. They have HDMI and DVI with the DVI for computer. If you didn't just win a TV, I would of suggested the 37" HP. My 26" should be in monday for my testing.
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page