New Sceptre 42" LCD! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #91 of 333 Old 02-10-2006, 12:23 PM
Member
 
Nenu_nene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 68
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sledge1234
I see no mention of the media box!

Store may have posted new picture today. I see there is insert with media box. But there is no metioned of it in product description.
Display itself is all black. Am I missing something?
NN
Nenu_nene is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 333 Old 02-10-2006, 12:26 PM
Member
 
goveeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yeap, I just saw the store has updated their picture with the one exactly like munufacture's. This time it includes the media box too.

Anyway, here is the response I got from the manufacture:

"Dear Customer,

C***co's is a preliminary picture. Our website's is the real picture.

Best Regards,
Sceptre Technical Support Group
"
goveeman is offline  
post #93 of 333 Old 02-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Member
 
pospower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 194
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Man I hope Sceptre reads this forum and I believe they do. I personally had every intention on buying this TV at the price I read earlier. Which was $300 less than the current MSRP. However at the current price listed there is no way I'm trading in my Sharp 37 for the 42 Sceptre I was one who bought the 37 Sceptre and sent it back for the Sharp. I love my Sharp. I was willing to give this one a good try after reading that the bugs have been worked out with the 37 hoping the 42 would be mostly bug free but again that was at the lower price. to pay more for this TV to take a chance is not in the plans. Again I hope that Sceptre is Reading this. LOWER THE PRICE and you'll sell a lot more...

I hope this post doesn't violate any rules I tried to be vague about the price.

Jay
pospower is offline  
post #94 of 333 Old 02-10-2006, 12:36 PM
Member
 
goveeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by YNOS
The store's site now includes a photo of the media box. Damn, I was hoping Sceptre figured out a way to get rid of that thing.

I now see what pikoo said about both model numbers being listed on the store's site. Maybe there will be a choice of colors.
I don't think that we have a choice of colors or a choice between the SV or GV. I think whoever prepared the description of this TV from "the store", he/she "copied and pasted" from the wrong model of SV. In fact, they tend to sale the GV model only. Personally, I think the model number at the bottom of the page is the correct one.

If someone can confirm this with Costco rep.

Govee
goveeman is offline  
post #95 of 333 Old 02-10-2006, 05:47 PM
Member
 
Brian_R170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looks like the Sceptre website is correct this time. I would also bet that "the store that shall not be named" will indeed be selling the all-black GV model. I think it looks much better than the two-tone and I imagine the folks that get paid to choose products for "the store that shall not be named" think the same.

I'm also disappointed about the MSRP being $300 higher than the previous rumor. Still, the introductory offer is a steal when you look at the price of other 40 to 42-inch LCD TVs, even the 1366x768 models.

I think I'll sit this one out unless the price drops significantly, and I get to see photo of the back of the display, and somebody measures the exact length of the cables...
Brian_R170 is offline  
post #96 of 333 Old 02-10-2006, 07:33 PM
Senior Member
 
joeyjoeyjoey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 406
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The un-named store just changed the photo of the lcd. it now has the silver line at the bottom and they now display the media box.

edit: D'oh thats what i get for only following the thread via email.. looks like thats been mentioned before :P
joeyjoeyjoey is offline  
post #97 of 333 Old 02-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Member
 
guho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
could anyone who knows compare the (expected) picture quality of this sceptre 42" vs. the Westinghouse 42" 1080p Lcd?
guho is online now  
post #98 of 333 Old 02-11-2006, 01:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
xradman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 3,017
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Problem is, with shipping taking 20 days or more from the date of order, you won't be able to make use of any c**p*n by the time someone actually has a unit to post anything about it. I am taking a chance and ordering it as soon as I can.

Addicted to shiny round discs with HD content

My Home Theater
My Movie Collection
BDP-83 EAP (second group)
xradman is offline  
post #99 of 333 Old 02-11-2006, 07:49 AM
Member
 
Brian_R170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Not necessarily. They allow you to place orders 4 days before the official start date. With the 37", a few people living in Souther California had the set well before the 1-week introductory offer was over. There were reviews and photos in time for people that were unsure to get some more info before letting the offer go.

Of course, the 37" set was shipped UPS and not White Glove, and some of the folks who ordered near the end of the introductory offer didn't actually receive their sets for 2 months. So, your plan of ordering as soon as you can is the smartest thing to do as long as there is a store nearby and don't mind returning the set if there's an issue.
Brian_R170 is offline  
post #100 of 333 Old 02-11-2006, 09:52 AM
Senior Member
 
mixtapem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Brew City
Posts: 350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
where are u guys seeing this on "our favorite website" cuz im not seeing it i dont a have membership yet tho ...and are they accepting preorders yet?

Samsung UN55F7100
PS3 60GB
Blu-ray : 86
Xbox 360

mixtapem is offline  
post #101 of 333 Old 02-11-2006, 11:07 AM
Member
 
Brian_R170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just search for "Sceptre." You'll find it listed as a preview.
Brian_R170 is offline  
post #102 of 333 Old 02-11-2006, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
stranx44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pospower
Man I hope Sceptre reads this forum and I believe they do. I personally had every intention on buying this TV at the price I read earlier. Which was $300 less than the current MSRP. However at the current price listed there is no way I'm trading in my Sharp 37 for the 42 Sceptre I was one who bought the 37 Sceptre and sent it back for the Sharp. I love my Sharp. I was willing to give this one a good try after reading that the bugs have been worked out with the 37 hoping the 42 would be mostly bug free but again that was at the lower price. to pay more for this TV to take a chance is not in the plans. Again I hope that Sceptre is Reading this. LOWER THE PRICE and you'll sell a lot more...

I hope this post doesn't violate any rules I tried to be vague about the price.

Jay
Sorry but I must interject...if the price stands as it is now, it still seems a fabulous deal! A 42" 1080p display with full ATSC tuner is hardly anything not to get excited about. The closest thing available out today is the Westy 42" unit, which does not include the ATSC tuner, and most likely uses the exact same panel (I would assume CMO since AUO doesn't make one in that size). Anyhow, your choice is yours and I assume you've done the appropriate research for your application. I am still very happy with my 37" Sceptre (using it now as I type) and await arrival of it's 42" brother to play with also.
stranx44 is offline  
post #103 of 333 Old 02-12-2006, 04:56 AM
Senior Member
 
egandt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 287
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From what I Understand the 37" model does not include descreit code for remotes?, does it however allow one to choose the input directly?, what other remote limitations are present in the 37" model?

Thanks,
ERIC

Current HTPC (of the moment):
i7 2600K (at 4.6GHZ),8GB RAM
ATI 5770 (stock) and ATI 5570 Video cards (stock)
128GB Gskill SSD and 3WARE 9650SE RAID6 (5.8TB)
DVD and Blu-Ray Burners x2


ERIC
egandt is offline  
post #104 of 333 Old 02-12-2006, 03:43 PM
Newbie
 
Drat Pons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been comparing the X37SV and the X42GV and noticed a couple of differences. Does anyone have any idea as to whether the non-square pixels and slightly less brightness will affect the new unit negatively? I particularly wonder about the non-square pixels when used as a computer monitor.

The X37SV pixel pitch is .4275 H and .4275 V and brightness of 600 cd/m2.
The X42GV pixel pitch is .1615 H and .4845 V and brightness of 550 cd/m2.

Drat
Drat Pons is offline  
post #105 of 333 Old 02-12-2006, 03:49 PM
Member
 
guho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Probably a mistake. .4275 * 42/37 is .4853 so .4845 is right. No way .1615 H. Has square pixels.
guho is online now  
post #106 of 333 Old 02-12-2006, 05:13 PM
Newbie
 
pgadget's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm thinking about the Sceptre 42 inch. Also considering the new 45 inch progressive scan Sharp lcd. Also maybe the 40 inch JVC progressive scan. Both of these will have ATSC tuners. I saw the JVC in my local Frys yesterday. Both of these have / will have two hdmi inputs compared to the Sceptre's 1. Plus the software will likely be less buggy. On the other hand, from this forum, looks like Sceptre have fixed some of the problems: 60 Hz progressive scan and hanging D* HD TV TiVos when used with HDMI. The Sceptre is likely to be good value. I also really want a TV colored black. The JVC is totally black. The sharp will initially be "Titanium" ( What is Titanium? Dirty grey? ) Don't know what color the Sceptre will be from the unmentionable warehouse store yet...


Quote:
Originally Posted by stranx44
Sorry but I must interject...if the price stands as it is now, it still seems a fabulous deal! A 42" 1080p display with full ATSC tuner is hardly anything not to get excited about. The closest thing available out today is the Westy 42" unit, which does not include the ATSC tuner, and most likely uses the exact same panel (I would assume CMO since AUO doesn't make one in that size). Anyhow, your choice is yours and I assume you've done the appropriate research for your application. I am still very happy with my 37" Sceptre (using it now as I type) and await arrival of it's 42" brother to play with also.
pgadget is offline  
post #107 of 333 Old 02-12-2006, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,932
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drat Pons
I've been comparing the X37SV and the X42GV and noticed a couple of differences. Does anyone have any idea as to whether the non-square pixels and slightly less brightness will affect the new unit negatively? I particularly wonder about the non-square pixels when used as a computer monitor.

The X37SV pixel pitch is .4275 H and .4275 V and brightness of 600 cd/m2.
The X42GV pixel pitch is .1615 H and .4845 V and brightness of 550 cd/m2.

Drat
I welcome the drop in brightness. The 37inch, even at the lowest lamp setting, still made black too bright, and was fine for a computer monitor, even in a brightly lit room.


nathan_h is offline  
post #108 of 333 Old 02-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Member
 
Brian_R170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drat Pons
I've been comparing the X37SV and the X42GV and noticed a couple of differences. Does anyone have any idea as to whether the non-square pixels and slightly less brightness will affect the new unit negatively? I particularly wonder about the non-square pixels when used as a computer monitor.

The X37SV pixel pitch is .4275 H and .4275 V and brightness of 600 cd/m2.
The X42GV pixel pitch is .1615 H and .4845 V and brightness of 550 cd/m2.

Drat
The TV is 16x9 an it has 1920x1080 pixels. Either it's a misprint and they are actually .4845x.4845, or the TV will have the worst vertical screen-door-effect you've ever seen.
Brian_R170 is offline  
post #109 of 333 Old 02-14-2006, 04:07 PM
Advanced Member
 
pikoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Now, what does it mean? "worst vertical screen-door-effect"???

--------------------------------------------------------------
From: Sceptre Technologies Technical Support
Date: Feb 14, 2006 3:05 PM

Dear Customer,

The values are correct.

Best Regards,
Sceptre Technical Support Group


> In your web-page it is showing the Pixel Pitch as:
>
> Pixel Pitch (mm): 0.1615(H) X 0.4845(V) for X42GV-Naga
>
> Is it the right value? In 37SV, it was:
>
> Pixel Pitch (mm): 0.4275 X 0.4275
pikoo is offline  
post #110 of 333 Old 02-14-2006, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,932
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 81
It means they are counting subpixels horizontally, and pixels, vertically. 3 sub pixels=1 pixel.


nathan_h is offline  
post #111 of 333 Old 02-14-2006, 04:36 PM
Member
 
Brian_R170's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If the pixels were only .1615 wide, then you'd see black lines that are twice as wide as the pixels between each column of pixels.

I think the specs for the 37" and 42" sets are not comparing apples to apples. The spec for the 42" is measuring sub-pixels (R,G, and B). Note that .1615 x 3 = .4845
Brian_R170 is offline  
post #112 of 333 Old 02-14-2006, 05:26 PM
Advanced Member
 
stranx44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 704
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unless someone else knows of a different 42" 1920x1080p Taiwan based panel source besides CMO, this should be the spec of the panel used both on the Westy and Sceptre:

Model V420H1
Technology VAextreme
Resolution 1920 x 1080
Pixel Pitch(mm) 0.4845 x 0.4845
Active Area(mm) 930.24 x 523.26
Outline(mm) 983 x 576 x 53
Luminance(nits) 600
View Angle (U/D/R/L) 88/88/88/88(CR>20)
Contrast Ratio 1000:1
Support Color 8 bit, 16.7M
Color Saturation (NTSC) 75%
Response Time(ms) 8 (Gray to Gray)
Weight (g) 12000
Power Consumption(W) 180
# of Lamps CCFLx24
Electrical Interface 2-ch LVDS
stranx44 is offline  
post #113 of 333 Old 02-14-2006, 07:50 PM
Newbie
 
Drat Pons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_R170
If the pixels were only .1615 wide, then you'd see black lines that are twice as wide as the pixels between each column of pixels.

I think the specs for the 37" and 42" sets are not comparing apples to apples. The spec for the 42" is measuring sub-pixels (R,G, and B). Note that .1615 x 3 = .4845
Now that's interesting --- seems I've learned something... Guess I've never seen specs posted like that. Is there a reason to quote them like that and is there a reason to split it out horizontally and not vertically? And, can you always assume that a pixel pitch can be divided into 3 equal portions for RGB both horizontally and vertically?

Regards,
Drat
Drat Pons is offline  
post #114 of 333 Old 02-15-2006, 12:44 AM
Newbie
 
cec8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Went to talk to C--tco today. A very few select stores will carry the Sceptre 42 (none in San diego). You can check with your local store and they can tell you if they are getting any. Otherwise you have to order online. (See C--tco web site). 2k Promo final pri----ce (no coupon is really needed). The shipping will be around 150-200 and take upto 20days. good thing the guy told me is that if you don't like it, you can return it to your local store and they will also refund the shipping. Sounds like a no brainer to try it out with out risk, other than luging 80lbs around. I asked the TV area worker their and he said he didnt like Septre, thought they were no good. May since they don't carry them in the store he only sees the 37 inch that were returned. Plus, he hadnt seen the 42 inch (no one has). Just wish there was a review from someone who has seen the 42 live. Any quotes about it from 2006 CES?
I was considering the Maxent or Pioneer 42 plasmas but think I wiat for the sceptre...
cec8 is offline  
post #115 of 333 Old 02-15-2006, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,932
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Does anyone know what the stock/product number is?


nathan_h is offline  
post #116 of 333 Old 02-15-2006, 09:13 PM
Member
 
hazard0us's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hazard0us is offline  
post #117 of 333 Old 02-15-2006, 09:32 PM
Member
 
hazard0us's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
BTW the 42" set is spec'd to have a "subwoofer" under its "audio" section. That has to be one of the most twisted uses of the word "subwoofer" I've seen in the CE business so far.

Given my experience with my 37" set, these units don't even have "woofers" in them, never mind anything that would play frequencies below. They're tweeters-only. Typical "Sceptre-Speak." (but I still love 'em)
hazard0us is offline  
post #118 of 333 Old 02-16-2006, 09:14 AM
Member
 
YNOS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oregon
Posts: 146
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cec8
Went to talk to C--tco today. A very few select stores will carry the Sceptre 42 (none in San diego). You can check with your local store and they can tell you if they are getting any. Otherwise you have to order online. (See C--tco web site). 2k Promo final pri----ce (no coupon is really needed). The shipping will be around 150-200 and take upto 20days. good thing the guy told me is that if you don't like it, you can return it to your local store and they will also refund the shipping. Sounds like a no brainer to try it out with out risk, other than luging 80lbs around. I asked the TV area worker their and he said he didnt like Septre, thought they were no good. May since they don't carry them in the store he only sees the 37 inch that were returned. Plus, he hadnt seen the 42 inch (no one has). Just wish there was a review from someone who has seen the 42 live. Any quotes about it from 2006 CES?
I was considering the Maxent or Pioneer 42 plasmas but think I wiat for the sceptre...
I was at my local warehouse yesterday, so I asked a lady at member services if any stores in my area will be carrying the 42" Sceptre. She quickly pulled it up on her computer and said the warehouses aren't even set up to carry the set and it will be sold online only.
YNOS is offline  
post #119 of 333 Old 02-16-2006, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
ericjut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: WA
Posts: 1,774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazard0us
BTW the 42" set is spec'd to have a "subwoofer" under its "audio" section. That has to be one of the most twisted uses of the word "subwoofer" I've seen in the CE business so far.

Given my experience with my 37" set, these units don't even have "woofers" in them, never mind anything that would play frequencies below. They're tweeters-only. Typical "Sceptre-Speak." (but I still love 'em)
I think what they meant was that it had an un-amplified subwoofer output that you can connect to your external subwoofer. That's what the 37" has and I'm pretty sure they didn't deviate from that for the 42".
ericjut is offline  
post #120 of 333 Old 02-16-2006, 10:41 AM
Member
 
meant2live's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
can anyone confirm if there will be a "special" exhibit in some stores?

Im not too keen on the white glove shipping.. but it'll be an excellent deal if I can go pick it up in the store.
meant2live is offline  
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off