Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 333 Old 02-27-2006, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomous
It means they are not going to disclose how their discaler works. This way, if it works out great, no one will be copying them.
I think this is what you meant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 333 Old 02-27-2006, 07:59 PM

Quote:
It means they are going to disclose how their discaler works. This way, if it works out great, no one will be copying them.
OK! SO in the end this set will actually have a scaler correct?

Samsung PN63A650
X-BOX 360
Onkyo TX NR1000S
Aperion Audio 7.1 Setup:
533-PT's, 522D-VAC, 522D Bookshelves, 522D-SS Dipole/Bipole, Intimus S-12 Subwoofer
post #183 of 333 Old 02-27-2006, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 81
It must. The question is whether the scaler is good, and whether the de-interlacer is good. (The deinterlacer is what I am most curious about.)
post #184 of 333 Old 02-27-2006, 11:18 PM

Hey guys, i'm brand new here and i've learned i'm not as tech savvy as I thought.
I understand that some tv's require a pc, but I have trouble distinguishing which ones.

Would this LCD operate for 1080p HDTV viewing w/HD D* receiver? or is a pc required?

It seems the best affordable lcd's require a pc. I don't plan to put my desktop pc in my bedroom. If this 42" sceptre works only with a pc, is there another 1080res lcd I should consider that doesn't need a pc?

What will I need to look for next time, to find a plug n play tv.
Thanks in advance.
post #185 of 333 Old 02-28-2006, 05:29 AM

It's a plug and play tV. I don't know of any LCD Televisions that actually require a PC. Although a lot of the discussion does involve HTPC - probably because LCDs are the one technology that richly supports using the TV with a PC.
post #186 of 333 Old 02-28-2006, 08:19 PM

There is an updated and clearer pic of the box on septres website....you can access it here:

http://www.sceptre.com/products/LCD/...x42gv-Naga.htm

Samsung PN63A650
X-BOX 360
Onkyo TX NR1000S
Aperion Audio 7.1 Setup:
533-PT's, 522D-VAC, 522D Bookshelves, 522D-SS Dipole/Bipole, Intimus S-12 Subwoofer
post #187 of 333 Old 02-28-2006, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Instead of clustering cables to the back of the TV, this Media Box will accept all Cables connections from all different sources,
such as DVD player, speakers, Cable Box, Antenna, to the TV. Only 3 main cables will be connected from the Media Box to the TV,
thus, creating a clean look at the back of TV.
Man Sceptre are a bunch of llamas. I would rather run the wires in the wall and just have the panel on the wall instead of a panel plus a media box. Who looks at the back of the tv and go "Woah thats a clean look at the back of TV"

So if one buys this tv they now have to buy a media center/entertainment furniture to house this thing.
post #188 of 333 Old 02-28-2006, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
I dont mind since this is going into the bedroom. The media box actually makes it easier for me to get my HTPC and stuff hooked up easier. I guess for you guys who will be using this as your main viewing set, they really did screw the pooch on this design. Im sure there was a reason why they went this route.
post #189 of 333 Old 02-28-2006, 09:00 PM

Venomous: yeah for me i like to run every wire in the wall then for those input not in use (VGA, S-video, composite) I run it to a wall plate.

On the bright side at least its 8' for the cable instead of the 6' posted before. But while I wont get it because of the media box I have to say for the price it aint that bad.
post #190 of 333 Old 02-28-2006, 09:26 PM

Quote:
I dont mind since this is going into the bedroom. The media box actually makes it easier for me to get my HTPC and stuff hooked up easier. I guess for you guys who will be using this as your main viewing set, they really did screw the pooch on this design. Im sure there was a reason why they went this route.
I can think of Sceptre soon will be selling new media box with more input options like two HDMI, two atsc tuners and etc. It may be good for consumer too to upgrade with new technologies and new protocols (hdcp with 1080p) as and when available in less expensive way. Only drawback is that you have to stick with sceptre (a good marketing game as well). Does any one know or estimate what will be the media box cost?

NN
post #191 of 333 Old 02-28-2006, 09:27 PM

I've been a long time follower on this thread and haven't commented yet, but to me this set looks Awesome! I know there are a few "issues" including the above media box issue, and other small things.

And although this tv isn't out and it could have problems, this TV should be unbelievable. Unless I'm completely wrong, and correct me if I'm misunderstanding this, but it builds upon the famous 37" Sceptre with, obviously, 42", bigger and it's black and has a much better look and actually is less wide than the 37". It's a 42" 1080P TV for $2000 and has a perfect return policy! It's $800 less than Westinghouse 42" coming out, seems like it would be an awesome fit for the xbox360/ps3. This tv should be awesome. Right?
post #192 of 333 Old 02-28-2006, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I bailed out on the Westinghouse. Seems a lot of problems with the 37" model and by the looks of it, they just carried over the same electronics to the 42" without fixed previous problems. If i can get the same panel tv for less, im going to do it.. This is why this is such a good deal, including the return policy.
post #193 of 333 Old 02-28-2006, 09:38 PM

[quote=menexxus]There is an updated and clearer pic of the box on septres website....you can access it here:

I could not make out any buttons on panel or media box from picture. I wonder if we are depending on remote for every thing? May be they are hidden...

NN
post #194 of 333 Old 02-28-2006, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

BY the way. There are conrols on the TV. You can see the small buttons on the side view photo.
post #195 of 333 Old 03-01-2006, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryboy
...but it builds upon the famous 37" Sceptre Right?
I wasn't sure whether you mean to type infamous there or not as the 37" certainly has its share of issues.

I am very mixed about the media box and its custom cable scheme. There had to have been a simpler, more elegant, non-proprietary approach for connecting the box to the panel (wait, there is, it's called DVI/HDMI which is what Sharp used).

Although I can't quite tell which media box jacks are used with the "Custom Signal Cable", it appears that at least one is of the humongous, larger than a DB25 shell size, the second appears to connect to the InfraRed port as expected, the third is unclear (Signal Connector, Invertor Connector, maybe both and the cable pic isn't accurate?)

And good luck to those who suggest that a local shop could replicate a longer version of the cable for less than $50. I really can't see that happening.
post #196 of 333 Old 03-01-2006, 07:45 AM

Where do I get the (Optional) VGA to Component Cable that is stated in the specs?
post #197 of 333 Old 03-01-2006, 08:47 AM

I noticed on the new, improved picture, they actually state that the proprietary cable between the set and the media box is 8 feet in length. That should satisfy the person earlier that thought it was only 2 meters (approx. 6 ft.).
post #198 of 333 Old 03-01-2006, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjoeyjoey
Man Sceptre are a bunch of llamas. I would rather run the wires in the wall and just have the panel on the wall instead of a panel plus a media box. Who looks at the back of the tv and go "Woah thats a clean look at the back of TV"

So if one buys this tv they now have to buy a media center/entertainment furniture to house this thing.
Now that the media box details are available, I have to agree that the concept is nuts! If it were designed like the 37" version, a total of two cables would be connected to the back of the set in my situation: The (thin) HDMI cable from my PC's DVI output and the power cable. With the 42" version, I'll have those connections going to the box, which I still don't know where I'll put, and from the box is that weird cable with 3 rather large connectors running to the display. I doubt those cables run AC power so it's likely the set will also have it's own power cord. Leave it to a marketing guy to imply that provides a "clean look."

The media box keeps the set thin, which is nice is you're going to hang it on a wall, but if you want to hide the cables between the box and the set, you'll need to cut two pretty large holes in your wall in order to get those connectors to pass through.

With that said, I have to admit, you can't beat the price. With some luck, it will have a beautiful picture and maybe I'll figure out a nice way to hide that goofy media box.
post #199 of 333 Old 03-01-2006, 10:02 AM

YNOS: Yeah the price is good for what it can do based on other lcd on the market today. But the media box is a deal breaker for me.

My current pdp hangs on the wall with all the connections made to it and the ones that I dont use are on a wall plate behind the sub I dont find myself wondering if the back of the TV looks clean... llamas.

So based on this I wont be replacing my current set with this since I dont want media furniture.

Current setup
post #200 of 333 Old 03-01-2006, 11:38 AM

Nice setup. I can see how the media box would make a mess of things for you. It also looks like your kid is in Sesame Street paradise.
post #201 of 333 Old 03-01-2006, 12:43 PM

I'd be willing to bet that the inver plug is used to power the set.
post #202 of 333 Old 03-01-2006, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
guess I am the only one who thinks the media box is kind of cool and like it. one of the big marks against this tv for me is the lack of digital audio output :mad: I like my dolby digital from OTA
post #203 of 333 Old 03-01-2006, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laronson
I noticed on the new, improved picture, they actually state that the proprietary cable between the set and the media box is 8 feet in length. That should satisfy the person earlier that thought it was only 2 meters (approx. 6 ft.).
The reason that the person earlier thought that it was that length is because Sceptre Tech support replied to him that it was ~ 2 meters in length.

And guess what, check the web site again and the length has changed and is now 7', no longer 8'!

We seem to go through this every time with Sceptre - as I posted almost two months ago. They post info on their website, we discuss a particular spec or attribute (usually within the context of "that can't be right") and in no time, that spec. magically gets updated on their website with the correct information.

Jeez, guys, if you're going to be paying this much attention to your Sceptre threads on this forum, why don't you save us all a boatload of headaches and actually have someone from your tech support group participate and reply to questions here.
post #204 of 333 Old 03-01-2006, 01:39 PM

lmao. man sceptre is just too funny!!!

Quote:
* Product(s) specifications subject to change without notice.
They are sure using the stuffings out of that line :)

I wonder if this is panel is still vaporware then as you would think these things would be all boxed up and ready to ship.
post #205 of 333 Old 03-01-2006, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 81
The media box is a big selling point for me, too. Much easier to deal with issues, and I can hide the box easily. Trying to run component (for DVHS), plus composite (game), plus s video (TIVO and game), plus HDMI (cable tv), plus VGA (computer) throught the wall was going to KILL me.

So the media box is going to save me.

Plus, given the history of Sceptre's 37inch v2, I really like the idea that I can send in the box rather than the whole TV if I have issues.
post #206 of 333 Old 03-01-2006, 02:08 PM

Do you guys think that sitting 7' to 8' on a bed is a good viewing distance for this TV?

Samsung PN63A650
X-BOX 360
Onkyo TX NR1000S
Aperion Audio 7.1 Setup:
post #207 of 333 Old 03-01-2006, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjoeyjoey

But you got to admit, the side view looks awesome. I have never seen a flat panel this THIN and this is important for me because I want to make the display as flush against the wall as possible.

The media box is a good idea IMHO since I can put it out of the way and next to my HTPC in a cabinet which is just another piece of furniture in my living room.
post #208 of 333 Old 03-01-2006, 04:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 26
Ah, unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to afford this+ a new stand, so I'll be going with a cheaper 720p DLP. OH well...

XBOX Live: Wagmman
PSN: Wagg
BFBC2: Wagman
Steam: Wag

My Second Life character looks and acts exactly like me except he can fly.
post #209 of 333 Old 03-01-2006, 06:23 PM

Im curious as to how exactly one would go about calibrating this TV? Via the media box or the actual panel? I mean would a technician have equiptment to make use of these cables without needing the media box?

Samsung PN63A650
X-BOX 360
Onkyo TX NR1000S
Aperion Audio 7.1 Setup:
post #210 of 333 Old 03-01-2006, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

The media box is for connections and most likely a power supply for the TV itself. I would guess that the calibrations are inside the set... Think of the media box as a break out box for a soundcard. Its strictly connections.
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page