New Sceptre 42" LCD! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 333 Old 01-04-2006, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just received the new Costco Wallet and there is a promo on a Sceptre 42" LCD. There is no mention of model number or price but it is 1920x1080 with built-in ATSC and HDMI.

There is no mention of this unit on the Sceptre web site.

Any information is welcome...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 333 Old 01-04-2006, 03:40 PM

I posted the same question a few days ago and the thread was closed because I used the "C" word (without even mentioning price or discount, etc.)
post #3 of 333 Old 01-04-2006, 07:18 PM

I addressed a similar issue with one of the moderators and while I feel a little better about it, there is apparently some subjectivity built in to the judgment of those in charge of moderating the site.

I had my first post in a new thread deleted because it was viewed as a thread that was about to talk exclusively about the coupon. I explained that in the context of mentioning the coupon I was only pointing out this new set and where I learned about it, which was directly from the coupon. The coupon from Costco acted solely as the informational pamphlet that alerted me to the new set. For pete's sake, the MSRP or actual price is not even advertised on the site yet, so technichally the coupon isn't even valid (so is it really a coupon?).

I think the rules about such are asinine at best. Part of the analysis of a piece of technology/equipment is their value of which price is a very pertinent component.

At any rate, the actual purpose of my original thread was to solicit anyone's opinions or commentary on this new set. Hopefully someone will have some information about it soon. I've searched all over the internet including the Sceptre website and could find nothing.

It looks like it might fit in my cabinet just by eyeballing the photo of it on the coupon. I'm a bit limited by space. I don't want it any wider than 42". The 37" Sceptre appears to be suffering from some problems and while that is a decent size, it can be on the small side for 10' viewing distance.

:)
post #4 of 333 Old 01-04-2006, 07:27 PM

It is a very nice looking set. I wish I still had the c o u p o n book so I could scan it in and post it! I was impressed with the looks of the set compared to the older Sceptre models which I didn't find appealing at all.
post #5 of 333 Old 01-04-2006, 07:55 PM

Here's the pic from the cou... oops, almost said it. The photo quality isn't all that great.
LL
post #6 of 333 Old 01-04-2006, 08:49 PM

just curious, where does sceptre get it's LCD panels from?
samsung, LG, hyundai, something else?
post #7 of 333 Old 01-05-2006, 10:14 AM

I purchased both versions of the 37" Sceptre, but had to return them since they were so buggy. I gave up and figured I'd wait for an affordable 1920x1080 42" to become available. Well, this is a candidate and Sceptres from Costco (Can I say that?) are typically as affordable as they get. Now we get to play the waiting game until the price is announced.

If the folks at Sceptre are reading this, pleeeeease try to fix/include the following features on this one:
  • No more jittery video through the DVI input.
  • True power-saving mode when an attached computer powers down.
  • Make the backlight keep its previous setting after cycling the monitor's power.
  • A digital audo output for the ATSC tuner would be nice.
post #8 of 333 Old 01-05-2006, 12:08 PM

Here is some very limited info from Sceptre.

To: Jeff Johnson <>
Date: Jan 5, 2006 12:24 PM
Subject: Re: 42" LCD at Costco

Hello,

We are sorry to let you know that we do not have much information regarding on the 42" TV yet.
It is a new model that will be selling in March. I checked with the technician and he told me it will be the same as the 37" specs.
Just that the size is different. Please visit our website at www.sceptre.com . Thanks.

Best Regards,
Customer Service

----- Original Message -----
To: cs(at)sceptre.com
Sent: Thursday, January 05, 2006 11:31 AM
Subject: 42" LCD at Costco

- Hide quoted text -
I am curious about this new model that Costco has advertised. Is this correctly identified as a 42" LCD? When will the specs be annonced.

With CES currently going on, I would have thought an announcement would have been made yesterday. Can we expect something during CES?

Any information would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Jeff Johnson
post #9 of 333 Old 01-05-2006, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YNOS
I purchased both versions of the 37" Sceptre, but had to return them since they were so buggy. I gave up and figured I'd wait for an affordable 1920x1080 42" to become available. Well, this is a candidate and Sceptres from Costco (Can I say that?) are typically as affordable as they get. Now we get to play the waiting game until the price is announced.

If the folks at Sceptre are reading this, pleeeeease try to fix/include the following features on this one:
  • No more jittery video through the DVI input.
  • True power-saving mode when an attached computer powers down.
  • Make the backlight keep its previous setting after cycling the monitor's power.
  • A digital audo output for the ATSC tuner would be nice.
YNOS, how does that saying go "fool me once..." ;) .

I can't believe that I am willfully going down this path again, but I too will likely wait on more specs on the 42" before making a move. I was even resigned to lowering my goals and picking up the Sceptre 32" from Costco and moving that one into another room when/if Sceptre cleaned up the problems on the 37", but the Costco site isn't carrying the 32" model anymore. This also makes me leery of expecting much in the way of improvements to the 37" model (a Ver. 3?). Logic would dictate that they would be spending most of their resources on getting the 42" out.

I also hope that Sceptre is paying attention to the competition in the Westinghouse LVM-42w2 and offering BOTH HDMI and DVI ports instead of simply copying the specs of the 37"
post #10 of 333 Old 01-05-2006, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsev
YNOS, how does that saying go "fool me once..." ;) .

I can't believe that I am willfully going down this path again, but I too will likely wait on more specs on the 42" before making a move. I was even resigned to lowering my goals and picking up the Sceptre 32" from Costco and moving that one into another room when/if Sceptre cleaned up the problems on the 37", but the Costco site isn't carrying the 32" model anymore. This also makes me leery of expecting much in the way of improvements to the 37" model (a Ver. 3?). Logic would dictate that they would be spending most of their resources on getting the 42" out.

I also hope that Sceptre is paying attention to the competition in the Westinghouse LVM-42w2 and offering BOTH HDMI and DVI ports instead of simply copying the specs of the 37"
I agree that ordering another Sceptre would be insane after dealing with all the bugs in the 37" sets they made, but I'm willing to take my chances again only because Costco is so good about taking them back. Since they even refund shipping, the only thing at risk is having to physically haul the thing back to Costco if it's a dud.

Speaking of shipping, I'll bet this set exceeds UPS' weight limit, leaving us with no choice other than the $200+ "white glove" shipping option.
post #11 of 333 Old 01-06-2006, 07:15 PM

Good point about the UPS shipping. I hadn't considered that. If the specs are essentially the same as the 37" and the white glove shipping is a must, forget it. They can keep it. I'm not doing that.

And I hope they are reading this, because I know I'm not the only one. Costco offered extra incentive on the 37" because it wasn't selling. I'm willing to bet one of the reasons was the feedback on forums such as this. Company's pay attention to what is said on the forums, you can bet.

There's a Vizio 42" plasma coming out in March as well. Even with the Sceptre 42" inch price still a mystery, the Vizio 42" plasma is certainly going to be priced better. Since it will be priced less and the 50" set has been getting some rave reviews at CNET and on this site, it may be the one.

I was excited about the Sceptre 42" LCD until I read their customer service response. Sounds like they really don't care. I don't either. Blah blah blah...
post #12 of 333 Old 01-18-2006, 08:42 AM

If anyone cares, the Sceptre site now includes the details for the X42SV-Naga. You can check it out here. Regarding the price, you can take the item number included on the coupon to any Costco "member services" and they can tell you what it is.
post #13 of 333 Old 01-18-2006, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
It looks much improved aesthetically too, the casing is much more streamlined and pleasing to the eye. Thank god it's not silver. now just have to wait for a MSRP...

All black model:

http://www.sceptre.com/Products/LCD/...X42GV-Naga.htm

X42GV-Naga quick specs:

42"
8ms
1920x1080
550 cd/m2
1000:1
post #14 of 333 Old 01-18-2006, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

And since they supposedly have a fix for the 37" jitter problem (amongst other things) via a firmware upgrade, hopefully the 42" unit will not ship with it.

It is also said on the 37" thread that the backlight and black level problems have been fixed. Who knows, by the time the 42" are available, maybe they'll fix most problems. :)

One thing about the 42" that makes me more interested in purchasing it than the 37" is the separate box. If any more firmware updates are necessary (or a part replaced), it'll be a lot easier to send only the box to them. Also, it looks like there's a serial connector on it, which would hint that the firmwares could be updated by the user in the future.

While Sceptre CS rap sheet has been far away from great, they do answer their emails and they are reacheable via phone, which is more that I can say from some other TV makers...

NOTE TO MODERATORS: Would you please, if in the likely case that some n00b posts any information that shouldn't be on this thread, only censor, remove their post and/or ban them from AVSForum (as you see fit) instead of closing every new thread regarding this LCD screen? A lot of us posting are doing our best to abide to the AVS rules and would like to discuss about this LCD unit capabilities. Thank you very much in advance.

-eric
post #15 of 333 Old 01-18-2006, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

has an MSRP been announced for this set yet??

i really like the idea of the outboard media box
post #16 of 333 Old 01-18-2006, 01:58 PM

This set looks very intriguing - I wonder how it will compare with the syntax 42"er.

I got my head on straight, got my booty body ready for the plush funk.
post #17 of 333 Old 01-18-2006, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Funny, I enjoy my 37" Sceptre v1 very much...yes it has it's quirks and oddities, but at the cheap pricepoint it sold, it was still very well worth it.

When this set comes out, there will be bugs also (no one is immune to it), but it seems like a great buy, especially coming from the big C.

Can't wait to trade in mine now! ;)
post #18 of 333 Old 01-18-2006, 08:36 PM

I too am eagerly awaiting this set. My V1 sceptre has its quirks but is still a great set for the price.
post #19 of 333 Old 01-18-2006, 08:48 PM

so what is that box? is that the tuner and the inputs and there would be one cable that connects that to the display?
post #20 of 333 Old 01-18-2006, 09:48 PM

I'm thinking about ordering the Sceptre 42" to replace the Sceptre 37" (version 2) in my family room. I would buy the 42, and when it arrives, send the 37 to Sceptre for the firmware upgrade. When I get the 37 back, it would either go into the bedroom or replace the aging 21" CRT on my desktop computer.

I'm hoping the MSRP will be $3K or less. If it is, I'll probably pick it up from Costco as soon as it's available. If not, I'm going to wait for something else. To be honest, I'm not thrilled with the looks of the Sceptre 42" set, or that it has a separate box, or that the speaker is on the bottom.

Does anybody know what the separate box does? Is it just the tuners? What type of cable connects the box to the TV?
post #21 of 333 Old 01-18-2006, 09:51 PM

After looking at the pictures on the website the box is for the inputs which allows no a/v connections to be made to the back of the display.

Brian_R170 as in SLK?
post #22 of 333 Old 01-18-2006, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjoeyjoey
After looking at the pictures on the website the box is for the inputs which allows no a/v connections to be made to the back of the display.

Brian_R170 as in SLK?

Thanks. I didn't click on the pic to see that it there were more views.

Bummer, since my TV is wall-mounted with the cables inside the wall, I would have to mount the box behind the TV unless it comes with 10ft cables, and I assume the remote controll receiver is in the box, too.

Yes, R170 is for the SLK chassis code.
post #23 of 333 Old 01-19-2006, 07:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 25
Yeah, I don't know about that media box...

"Instead of clustering cables to the back of the TV, this Media Box will accept all Cables connections to the TV. Only 3 main cables will be connected from the Media Box to the TV, thus, creating a clean look at the back of TV."
post #24 of 333 Old 01-19-2006, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

i'm guessing that the three main connections will be 1 video link + 2 speaker links.
since i don't use the display speakers, that'll be down to 1.
post #25 of 333 Old 01-19-2006, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
It would be interesting to know if the box to monitor connection was a standard video interface like DVI. That would allow us to drive the monitor directly from a PC.

I do not see a spec for how long the cable between box and monitor is. This is of interest when choosing furniture to use the TV. Also I did not see whether or not the VESA wall mounts are compatible.

Good looking TV for sure.

Gary

Gary McCoy
The United States Constitution ©1791. All Rights Reserved.

post #26 of 333 Old 01-19-2006, 01:34 PM

The photo on the Sceptre website shows the back of the box. Looks like they are custom cables, although one could be a European connector.
post #27 of 333 Old 01-19-2006, 04:49 PM

There's also only one coax connector on the back of that box. Where's the other one?
post #28 of 333 Old 01-19-2006, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsid05
There's also only one coax connector on the back of that box. Where's the other one?
Yeah, I saw that. I suspect it's a prototype box. I highly doubt one of the tuners is in the TV and the other in the box, and I'm certain it will have 2 tuners.
post #29 of 333 Old 01-20-2006, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
According to those stats, it doesn't have a cable tuner (QAM) or cablecard and there are no Firewire ports either. Those can be downers for alot of people.
post #30 of 333 Old 01-20-2006, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHDTV?
According to those stats, it doesn't have a cable tuner (QAM) or cablecard and there are no Firewire ports either. Those can be downers for alot of people.
That's same as the 37" its based on.
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page