Costco/BB/CC/Sears/Dell et al Master Thread: NO PRICING /NO COUPONS - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #181 of 3647 Old 01-26-2006, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I plan on buying the 42" Vizio Plasma that goes on sale on 3/20. I'm going to take the day off from work to get it early since I've been waiting two years to make this purchase.

My question, do you guys think it's necessary to get to the costco extra early? Like before if opens early? From your past experiences, will people be lining up two to three hours early just to get one? I seriously have no idea.

How many units to the Costcos get when a new product is introduced? Can I expect that they'll get at least 15 tvs?

Thanks,
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3647 Old 01-26-2006, 09:17 AM

First off, I thank all to have posted on this forum. Ive been like a sponge soaking all the knowledge and research that all of you have done. Its much appreciated.

I just went to Costco to get a membership just to buy a Plasma (hopefully their Panasonic model) but I was surprised to see that they dont open up til 10am?! Wow thats late.

I hear that plasmas shouldnt be laid down flat or else it will ruin the display? If thats the case, I wont be able to use my hatchback vehicle to bring it home. ?Does Costco offer shipping if I were to go into the store to make a purchase?
post #183 of 3647 Old 01-26-2006, 09:31 AM

djithm

Just wanted to comment on you buying membership just for a Plasma. When I went to my costco to buy my plasma they took all my info and went to the back for a few minutes. When he came back I asked him why so long in the back. They stated they had problems in the past from people abusing membership. He told me they would of not sold me the TV the same day I purchased membership. But I was ok because I had picked up my membership 2 weeks early. So make sure you get your membership first and not try to purchase the same day becaause you might be regected.
post #184 of 3647 Old 01-26-2006, 09:54 AM

I would think twice about ever buying expensive merchandise from BB. I originally purchased a Toshiba 42HP95 in November and have endured honestly the worst customer service experience I have ever experienced.

I am now on my second unit after the first was returned due to being defective. While not horrible, my experience with BB service was not exactly pleasant either. Despite promising in home service within 24-48 hours of request, it took 5-6 days to receive an in home service visit. After returning the first unit, I began having problems with my second unit and it took almost 2.5 weeks to receive a service visit. "Coincidentally" enough, the service visit took place exactly on the last day that I was able to return the unit (Jan 24th). After being told the unit was defective, I called the store from which the plasma was purchased, explained the situation and told them that because I had already taken half the day off work to be home for the service visit, I had to go to work and did not have time to bring the plasma back to the store to return it that day. Given the situation, the store manager approved me to being it in the next day (yesterday, 1/25). When I brought it back, despite the fact that the manager "approved" my return, they told me that because I was one day late on my return, my only option was an exchange or store credit.

Since this is my second HP95 that had to be returned b/c it was defective, I am obviously a bit gunshy to pull the trigger on another one or any other brand. I would just prefer to get my money back and wait for a bit before pulling trigger again or perhaps get something available at Costco so I dont have to worry about this kind of stuff. Anyone know the heirarchy of BB stores or with whom I need to speak above the store manager to get this taken care of?
post #185 of 3647 Old 01-26-2006, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docg View Post

djithm

Just wanted to comment on you buying membership just for a Plasma. When I went to my costco to buy my plasma they took all my info and went to the back for a few minutes. When he came back I asked him why so long in the back. They stated they had problems in the past from people abusing membership. He told me they would of not sold me the TV the same day I purchased membership. But I was ok because I had picked up my membership 2 weeks early. So make sure you get your membership first and not try to purchase the same day becaause you might be regected.

Ahh, thanks for that bit of info! I was planning to join Costco (regardless of plasma purchase) since they were alot closer to me than Sam's club. Its just that my first purchase was going to be a plasma tv. I will inquire today if I can purchase or not after getting the membership. Thanks again!
post #186 of 3647 Old 01-26-2006, 11:18 AM

New member here.

I went ahead and bought the Philips 7220 at Costco after looking at several. I went to CC, and checked out the ambilight Philips (same screen specs) along side a Pany, Pioneer, Zenith (LG), and the LG. The pq wasn't quite what the others had, (although in some respects I liked it better) but I decided when it was hanging on my wall instead of along side the others that after adjusting it to my preferences, it would be just fine. Costco's return policy was also a large factor in the decision process. I figured what with the coupon deal, and not having to get an extended warranty I saved at least a grand plus, and for that I was willing to deal with the pq. I also looked at the Visio, but I just didn't like the look of it, and thought it wouldn't fit in well hanging in my family room.

I went Tues afternoon to look when they had three, the wife and I went after dinner and they were sold out. Today I got up and went right when they opened for regular customers. The got 9 in today, and they had sold 4 while I was standing there (the other Costco here in Tucson sold all 9 of theirs during the business cust hours). One other thing, they also offered to upgrade my membership from gold to executive. I paid 29 bucks prorated, and they'll send me a check later for 2% off along with 2% off all my pruchases.

I'm happy.
post #187 of 3647 Old 01-26-2006, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
My Local Costco in Edison NJ has a couple pallets of the Phillips, but no more pioneer or panasonics.
post #188 of 3647 Old 01-26-2006, 02:00 PM

Just got back from my local Costco in Concord, CA. Got my membership today (woohoo) but I was disappointed to not find any 50" Panny (TH-50PM50U) at the store. They had a few of the Phillips plasmas that are on special. While I was looking at all the plasmas, there were probably about 10-20 people that stood there at least momentarily salivating at the Phillips deal.
post #189 of 3647 Old 01-26-2006, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djithm View Post

Just got back from my local Costco in Concord, CA. Got my membership today (woohoo) but I was disappointed to not find any 50" Panny (TH-50PM50U) at the store. They had a few of the Phillips plasmas that are on special. While I was looking at all the plasmas, there were probably about 10-20 people that stood there at least momentarily salivating at the Phillips deal.

They told me the panny was an online product only. Mine has been sitting in my ofifice for several days now while i'm working out of town. I sure hope i get home soon so i can enjoy it. Too bad i cant trust my wife to set it all up for me.
post #190 of 3647 Old 01-26-2006, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPinAZ View Post

Will Costco help me load the set into my car? I've been to some places that are so afraid of lawsuits that once you buy it you're on your own. I'll be by myself when I buy it.

Yes, they will help you load your plasma into your car/truck with one big caveat.

They will not load it flat - they follow the warnings on the box and will only load it in an upright position.

I talked to a red-vest guy (manager/supervisor) at Costco and he explicitly told me that they will only load them upright, and that if they suspect that a set was transported flst, they will not accept it as a return.
post #191 of 3647 Old 01-26-2006, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

Why the nazi control over Costco/BB/CC/Sears talk here? It really is often very pertinent to other individual threads and really makes natural discussion difficult in many cases. I just don't see the point, especially since no price/coupon talk was allowed already?

Westinghouse 42w2 1.00 | TiVo HD 1TB | Sony DVP-NS70H | Panasonic SA-XR55 | Paradigm Monitor 9 & CC-350 v1 | Harmony 676 | Vista MCE HTPC
post #192 of 3647 Old 01-27-2006, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swank View Post

What I'm wondering about is this: can Costco change their return policy after you have already made the purchase and have the new policy affect your existing purchase? For example, you buy a set and 8 months later they change the return policy to mirror their policy on computers. (6 month return policy, if I recall) Since you purchased your set 8 months earlier, you can no longer return your set and are left without the old Costco guarantee acting as your extended warranty.

Anyone?

Don't worry, Costco will never change its return policy on anything else in the store. At least that was the work from the CEO's mouth. When they instituted the computer change they did not make it retroactive, only on new computers purchased.
post #193 of 3647 Old 01-27-2006, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikea28 View Post

Why the nazi control over Costco/BB/CC/Sears talk here? It really is often very pertinent to other individual threads and really makes natural discussion difficult in many cases. I just don't see the point, especially since no price/coupon talk was allowed already?

I've wondered about this before.
post #194 of 3647 Old 01-27-2006, 06:46 AM

Even if they did change it, I doubt they would change it without any kind of warning. Maybe something like "as of xx date this will be our new return policy." So I would think you would have time to return your item in that time if you are that concerned about it.
post #195 of 3647 Old 01-27-2006, 07:17 AM

Now, Sharp 37" (LC-37D6U) available on Costco website.
Has anybody seen this in the store?
post #196 of 3647 Old 01-27-2006, 07:40 AM

I have so enjoyed reading this thread and finding this site. I wish I had found it before I bought my Philips 7220 at Costco last week.

For what it's worth, I am a complete audio-video dummy who only barely figured out how to turn the tv on. I have really enjoyed this tv and the picture and sound is excellent. At the Costco where we purchased this set, it had a great picture and is what sold us. So there is a lot of truth in how it's connected at the store. There was one other set that looked great; however, it wasn't HD.

Also, what's this about a Costco coupon for the 7220, is that for the 42" or the bigger one?

Edited to say: I forgot to say that the first one we got from Costco was the floor model. They weren't expecting anymore until 1/23/06 and we wanted to have it set up by the weekend, so we took the floor model. They helped us load it. We got it home and a day later, the set would just mute itself. We called Costco and they said just bring it back. In our rush, we didn't realize we had forgotten the receipt until we got back to Costco. No problem. They had another tv brought up to us and loaded it. It took all of 7 minutes. Costco is a great place!
post #197 of 3647 Old 01-27-2006, 09:58 AM

Just heard from a friend that my local Costco now is display a NEW 43" Pioneer. Not sure of model number or features. Anyone have any info on this? I will stop by later after work and at least get a model number. It is $100 more than the 42" Pioneer right next to it.
post #198 of 3647 Old 01-27-2006, 01:46 PM

A bit more info regarding Philips 7220.
Just read through my owner's manual. In it, it mentioned that the factory setting for this unit is set for displaying this set in a room filled with fluorescent light, in bright room conditions such as in a showroom floor. It further mentioned that owners will likely use this set in a much darker room the likes of most living room etc. . and would likely need to re-adjust the picture setting to fit one's need in relation to his/her room lighting condition.

I'd have agreed with this statement and perhaps its also why many shoppers noted that this unit looked washed out when viewing it in the showroom.

I did not noticed this statement regarding Philips purpose and the reasons why they have pre-set this T.V. to such high brightness setting when I decided to adjust my T.V. the very first night I powered it up and found it too bright and a bit washed out.
I noted then, that the factory setting regarding brightness is set at a very hight "83". I had to turn it down to near "50" and the pq and it's darkness then became very very impressive.

I do not know how proficient the store personnel are in setting up various T.Vs that's they had to constantly set up and replace. I suspect they do not have that much time to play with each T.V. and its controls and to figure out how to adjust each individual aspect of each T.V. So, I suspect many shore folks may have left the T.V. to it's factory setting. In this case, the factory setting, I think, is set with brightness being way too high, hence the washed out appearnce. This is too bad for shoppers wanting to compare this T.V to others. I hope Philips will reconsider recalibrating their factory setting...
post #199 of 3647 Old 01-27-2006, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpp1426 View Post

Now, Sharp 37" (LC-37D6U) available on Costco website.
Has anybody seen this in the store?

wow - big price difference between that and the Sceptre 37. I'd like to see someone do a side-by-side compare. I'm pretty happy with my Sceptre right now, I wonder what all that extra $$ gets you in the Sharp.
post #200 of 3647 Old 01-27-2006, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post

Just heard from a friend that my local Costco now is display a NEW 43" Pioneer. Not sure of model number or features. Anyone have any info on this? I will stop by later after work and at least get a model number. It is $100 more than the 42" Pioneer right next to it.

any chance someone could check this out & post the new model number ? ... I would but I live close to 2hrs away from the closest Costco to me
post #201 of 3647 Old 01-27-2006, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 308wl View Post

So, I suspect many shore folks may have left the T.V. to it's factory setting. In this case, the factory setting, I think, is set with brightness being way too high, hence the washed out appearnce. This is too bad for shoppers wanting to compare this T.V to others. I hope Philips will reconsider recalibrating their factory setting...

Almost every TV comes from the factory in "torch mode" with the contrast jacked up. This is done to make the sets stand out in a sea of other displays, and catch peoples eyes.

I'll take that one step even further - I'm convinced that managers in places like Best Buy and Circuit City nicely calibrate the displays they are trying to push, and leave the settings way off on the displays that don't make them much money. Then Joe six-pack walks by and thinks "Wow look how much better this TV looks than that one", never knowing that 2 minutes of calibration would have saved him hundreds of $$ and left him with a better display.

However I doubt this happens at Costco, their pricing model doesn't really work that way.
post #202 of 3647 Old 01-27-2006, 03:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chri View Post

Almost every TV comes from the factory in "torch mode" with the contrast jacked up. This is done to make the sets stand out in a sea of other displays, and catch peoples eyes.

I'll take that one step even further - I'm convinced that managers in places like Best Buy and Circuit City nicely calibrate the displays they are trying to push, and leave the settings way off on the displays that don't make them much money. Then Joe six-pack walks by and thinks "Wow look how much better this TV looks than that one", never knowing that 2 minutes of calibration would have saved him hundreds of $$ and left him with a better display.

However I doubt this happens at Costco, their pricing model doesn't really work that way.

I've worked in the AV business for almost 14 years. You'd be amazed at the number of sets I've set up correctly (or as close as my naked eye can set up) or convergences I've performed at BB, CC, and others. It amazes me how poorly most are set up right out of the box.

Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
post #203 of 3647 Old 01-27-2006, 03:54 PM

The Pioneer 43" model had no boxes under it and I could not see a model numbr on the back. It was a very basic shell and not the glossy mirror look of the 4214 model. The sign also said HDTV monitor and had VGA and serial ports on the bacl. Might not be new but a left over from sometime before. It was not hooked up and no boxes around.
post #204 of 3647 Old 01-27-2006, 03:54 PM

I am ready to purchase a plasma tv (42 or 50) and have decided to purchase from CostCo. Based on what I have seen in the store the last month and this thread; it appears like several plasma models are being phased out, and unknown models are coming in soon. Also based on this thread, it appears like a number of new plasma models will be coming out this spring. I know technology is always changing, and prices are typically going down; it is worth waiting a couple of months for new (better) models to hit CostCo? I can wait a few months, but I do not want to wait more than that. At the top of my list right now is the Pioneer 42, but I can't find any reviews on the PDP4214. Also considering the Dell. The current CostCo deal on the Phillips 50 is interesting, but I am not impressed with the picture quality. Recommendations?
post #205 of 3647 Old 01-27-2006, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatasNJ View Post

The Pioneer 43" model had no boxes under it and I could not see a model numbr on the back. It was a very basic shell and not the glossy mirror look of the 4214 model. The sign also said HDTV monitor and had VGA and serial ports on the bacl. Might not be new but a left over from sometime before. It was not hooked up and no boxes around.

If it's a 43" Pioneer, matte (non-glossy) black, monitor (no tuners), with detachable speakers, on a plain black, non-swivel stand, it very well may be an older left over PDP-4312.
post #206 of 3647 Old 01-28-2006, 01:01 AM

Man, you guys are keeping me in suspense. I wish I knew what Pio model you are talking about. Went to the local costco tonight and I didnt see any other pio besides the 4214. Suspense is killing me. I hope they show up before I buy the 4214 next week. Also, just my observation...the Philipps 50" 7220 had the worst pic of the plasmas on display, sorry to say.

cheezz

After having witnessed the mugging of a snail by a fellow snail, the investigating officer asked the DMP-BD30 what happened to which the BD player replied "I don't remember...it happened so fast."
post #207 of 3647 Old 01-28-2006, 05:31 AM

I called Costco about their return policy and asked that specific question, which was "if I buy a plasma TV today with a one year warranty, and 5 years from now, it burns out, can I return it for a full refund" and they said yes, and would also refund the shipping. Also, they said there was no time limit. Then I asked "If your policy changes in the future, would I be bound by the policy in force when I made the purchase, or by the new policy". They said I would be bound by the new policy, but they said their return policy was established when they were created and there was no indication it would ever change. They said they had to change it with computers because people were returning computers just to keep up with the new technology, and they made the adjustment to limiting computer returns to 6 months, but no other changes were expected. Hope this helps.
post #208 of 3647 Old 01-28-2006, 07:30 AM

Does Costco pricematch other internet etailers? I have asked them twice via email, no response. Store asst mgr didn't know when I asked her. Prob too good to be true...
post #209 of 3647 Old 01-28-2006, 08:31 AM

Other than Vizio or Maxent, brands specifically made to sell at Costco and other discount stores, Costco does not generally carry --- and maybe never --- the latest models of big name brands. The exception is when a big brand model --- say, the Sharp 45" LCD that came out last year --- doesn't do well in regular or online stores, and Costco might get hold of it in the third or fourth quarter of its life-span. Otherwise, the big brand models are those that are about to be phased out.

Are there exceptions? Maybe, but neither online nor in the store have I seen any the last few months, the period in which I started to look for an HDTV.

That doesn't mean you can't get a good deal on a name-brand like Panasonic or even Sony, but it depends on whether you decide that the newer model isn't much more than a series of limited cosmetic changes.

Those of you waiting for the arrival of awesome-new sets are, I fear, likely to be disappointed --- a case of Waiting for Godot, at any rate until next November, December, or January.

Michael
post #210 of 3647 Old 01-28-2006, 11:36 AM

I purchased this from Costco. I stopped working in 2 weeks. And Philips refused to help repair. Left me at the mercy at the local center (to whom they sent the wrong part). After 3 weeks of talking to the rude people at Philips customer service, I am reutning it.
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page