post #91 of 1162 Old 03-12-2006, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jltv View Post

Monster gives great margins to the dealers. So of course sales reps push them.

To a large degree that is true.
However it is not the entire story.
Just went to the monoprice site and looked at the HDMI cables.
The terminals do not carry the HDMI logo, which should mean that they have not been tested and certified as correct.
Mostly it means that they (monoprice) are not paying for legal licencing (expensive).
Major cable mfgr's CAN NOT (cease and desist orders are a PITA) take the chance of running afoul of these legal issues.
Therefore they have to pay to play.
The purpose of this is two fold.
First: Provides a construction technique and performance baseline for the mfgr. to work from.
Second: Products that have been tested and correctly licenced should give the consumer confidence in their product.
Now all of the above has no effect on rather or not the cable is any good.
Monoprice appears to have a good working cable for not a lot of money,
this does not mean that other cable mfgr's are ripping you off.

Note also: Monoprice has no actual investment in product development, they buy off the China shelve (saving several hunderd thousand allows for a much lower selling price).
All good for the consumer but not a level playing field.
Sorry for the sour grapes.

Brent McCall
Not A Dealer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1162 Old 03-12-2006, 09:10 PM

I'm Sean with Monoprice, Inc. First of all, I'd like to say "Thanks alot for your great support, AVS Forum members." I happened to read this comment and would like to clarify on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent McCall View Post

To a large degree that is true.
However it is not the entire story.
Just went to the monoprice site and looked at the HDMI cables.
The terminals do not carry the HDMI logo, which should mean that they have not been tested and certified as correct.
Mostly it means that they (monoprice) are not paying for legal licencing (expensive).
Major cable mfgr's CAN NOT (cease and desist orders are a PITA) take the chance of running afoul of these legal issues.
Therefore they have to pay to play.
The purpose of this is two fold.
First: Provides a construction technique and performance baseline for the mfgr. to work from.
Second: Products that have been tested and correctly licenced should give the consumer confidence in their product.
Now all of the above has no effect on rather or not the cable is any good.
Monoprice appears to have a good working cable for not a lot of money,
this does not mean that other cable mfgr's are ripping you off.

Our HDMI cables are manufactured from a factory in China who is one of the leading HDMI licensed adaptors. It can be easily verified with HDMI Licensing, L.L.C. Since the prices we've been selling HDMI cables are so lower comparing to the prices other companies are selling, I can understand why Brent has thought our cables are unlicensed products. However, it would have been nicer if he has verified this info before posting his comment on this thread. Brent McCall, he has already explained why you need to buy HDMI licensed products. I thank you for the explanation. Again, all our HDMI products are HDMI licensed.

Quote:

Note also: Monoprice has no actual investment in product development, they buy off the China shelve (saving several hunderd thousand allows for a much lower selling price).
All good for the consumer but not a level playing field.
Sorry for the sour grapes.

We've been cooperating with the manufacturer in China for HDMI products. Monoprice and the manufacturer have spent hundreds thousands on R&D. We are not just buying cables from their shelves but also developing and improving HDMI products with them together. Monoprice and I will do anything to provide the best quality products at lowest prices possible to all Monoprice's supporters!

Should you have any question, please write me an email at sean@monoprice.com. Thanks for giving me a chance to clarify on this legal and quality issue.

Regards,

Sean Lee
Monoprice, Inc.
post #93 of 1162 Old 03-12-2006, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imanoob View Post

Anybody know of a good cheap HDMI cable? I would prefer not to spend $150 on a monster cable when I know a much cheaper one will do the job. Thanks

Very high quality, lightning fast service here:
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/
post #94 of 1162 Old 03-12-2006, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post

not sure where to put this!

when i go HDTV should cablevision update my cables from the street into my house.

id guess the cables are about 15-20 years old.,

YES
Also INSIDE the house. Make sure you have RG-6 and NOT RG-59
post #95 of 1162 Old 03-12-2006, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooNew63 View Post

I just ordered the Pioneer PDP-5060. I was curius the best way to hook it up to my HD cable box. Should I buy HDMI cables or just use component cables? I have heard mixed opinions.

Thanks for any help.

-Moo

Neither--get a CableCard. I have a new 5060 and my cable company is temporarily out of cablecards, so I got the STB for now. It comes with component interconnects. What a pain in the ass juggling remote controls, fishing five-conductor RCA cables and putting up with that stupid STB. Demand a CableCard! It may also be cheaper. My Cable Co charges $8/month for the STB but the Card is a one-time $120 purchase.
post #96 of 1162 Old 03-13-2006, 07:49 PM

I need a 6' hdmi cable to connect cable box to pioneer proelite 930 tv. trying to 'support the sponsors', I looked for same on three of the cable sources listed in the sponser deal. and found prices for what sounds like the same thing for x$, 2x$, and 3x$.

and of course there is the monster one that the sales guy wants to sell me for like 6x$.

so, how does one choose?

skiguy
post #97 of 1162 Old 03-14-2006, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiguy02920 View Post

I need a 6' hdmi cable to connect cable box to pioneer proelite 930 tv. trying to 'support the sponsors', I looked for same on three of the cable sources listed in the sponser deal. and found prices for what sounds like the same thing for x$, 2x$, and 3x$.

and of course there is the monster one that the sales guy wants to sell me for like 6x$.

so, how does one choose?

skiguy

Take a look at the cables and quality. Both monoprice and bluejeans have been mentioned here as high quality and lightning fast service. I prefer the bluejeans cables because they seem to use the highest quality components, but you can't go wrong with either. Super-expensive cables are a waste of money, IMO
post #98 of 1162 Old 03-15-2006, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruZZi View Post

Never heard of it but they look nice.

BruZZi's Panasonic Plasma FAQ -> bruzzi.ws
Lots of info for all Plasmas in general.

i contacted ultralink directly and told them what happened and they were awesome, they replaced the cable with a new one.

i'm not touching the friggin thing this time until i hang the plasma on the wall.

Just say no to cable.
post #99 of 1162 Old 03-15-2006, 04:44 PM

i don't see this in the thread yet, so:

which is better from SA cable box to yamaha receiver: optical or coaxial digital audio?
post #100 of 1162 Old 03-15-2006, 05:55 PM
nyg
AVS Special Member

Are there any inexpensive HDMI switchers? The least expensive I've come across so far is $299!
post #101 of 1162 Old 03-16-2006, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2blu View Post

Are there any inexpensive HDMI switchers? The least expensive I've come across so far is $299!

Google it!
$34 to $137 at monoprice http://www.monoprice.com/products/se...rd=hdmi+switch

$65 (manual) at http://www.bestcableforless.com/sear...-hdmi-switcher
$250 at http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/hdmi-2x1-switch.htm
$228 at http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282
$219 and up at http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_a.../sortby=priceA
post #102 of 1162 Old 03-16-2006, 02:46 PM

Anyone have any experiance with this PureAv Power Conditioner. The PureAV AP10300010? Is it a good one....any info or thoughts greatly appreciated.

post #103 of 1162 Old 03-16-2006, 03:52 PM
nyg
AVS Special Member

I was hoping someone had some recommendations rather than me just taking a gamble on not only a switcher but also on a store I've never heard of. Some of the links look promising though so thank you.
post #104 of 1162 Old 03-16-2006, 06:40 PM

Hello there,
I could use some advice from you experts.
I brought a Panny TH-50-PM50U from Costco and feed component from the HD cable box to it. It works in this mode.
The problem is when I attempt to feed DVI to a HDMI from my media PC.
The Panny's HDMI port works when I use feed it fom the DVI output of the HD cable box.
The Panny does not display the PC's desktop even when I adjust the NVidia GE 6800 video to 800x600 using the same DVI to HDMI cable from Monoprice.
What am I doing wrong?
post #105 of 1162 Old 03-16-2006, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2blu View Post

I was hoping someone had some recommendations rather than me just taking a gamble on not only a switcher but also on a store I've never heard of. Some of the links look promising though so thank you.

Everyone here seems to like monoprice, and they have a couple of models. Good luck
post #106 of 1162 Old 03-16-2006, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hornet View Post

Anyone have any experiance with this PureAv Power Conditioner. The PureAV AP10300010? Is it a good one....any info or thoughts greatly appreciated.

I don't have any experience with it, but it's Belkin and they are reputable. My credibility may be poor because I use a Monster conditioner, but I picked up their HTS3500MkII for $185, then got a $50 rebate, so the price was good and the unit seems solid. Comes with a fried-equipment warranty, and it looks cool
post #107 of 1162 Old 03-17-2006, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Met View Post

i don't see this in the thread yet, so:

which is better from SA cable box to yamaha receiver: optical or coaxial digital audio?

There is no difference in sound quality, at least not in my setup. I have used both since my old DVD player had coaxial only and my new Oppo has both. There is no chance of electrical interference with the optical (and very little chance with coaxial), if that is a tie breaker for you. Optical is probably better for very long runs.
post #108 of 1162 Old 03-17-2006, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 View Post

Very unlikely they are about to replace cables at that end unless they are shown to be faulty. The important cable is from the wall to your components and making sure your electrical is able to run Clean without interference and at the same time protects your investment, I use a Belkin PureAV PF40 line conditioner and it works great and got it with big time discount at Ecost once in the shopping cart.

I am considering the purchase of a Belkin PF40 or PF30 for my home theatre. The PF40 that you bought has a more advanced line conditioner. In your experience, does a good line/power conditioner make any difference in the PQ of your plasma display? I have never seen a review that does A/B testing. Since you can get comparable surge protection at a fraction of the price, I wanted to hear from a real owner of a high quality unit rather than the "jibber jabber" from a salesman.
post #109 of 1162 Old 03-17-2006, 04:36 PM

I just bought a "DVI to HDMI" cable for my cable STB. I had it connected with component cables before, well now the picture looks grey. It just looks so odd. It looks WAY better with the component cables. Why is there a difference? The blacks and colors just look so pale on the HDMI cable.
post #110 of 1162 Old 03-17-2006, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
It would be helpful if you mention the TV model number and the cable box manufacturer.
post #111 of 1162 Old 03-17-2006, 07:23 PM

sigh... thank you for letting me know why I was not getting any responses...

Well, I have a Samsung LNR26in model and with a Motorola STB from comcast.
post #112 of 1162 Old 03-17-2006, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Heya guys!

So I was thinkering with photoshop, and I ended up in doing a little sketch of my living room wall, where the plasma will be located: of course, the wall is much bigger, and not so cramped like the picture you see here...

but anyway, I was wondering what would be best in my situation as far as cable management goes! I'd like to hide the cables inside the wall, and for that I will need 15ft cables, because the cabinet is a bit far from the plasma!

...and what about the power cable from the NEC to the wall outlet? What can I do? Is there a long extension I can buy so I can connect the NEC to my Monster HT3500 MKII?

I would like to have suggestions on this!

Thank you!
Emanuele
post #113 of 1162 Old 03-17-2006, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derko View Post

I just bought a "DVI to HDMI" cable for my cable STB. I had it connected with component cables before, well now the picture looks grey. It just looks so odd. It looks WAY better with the component cables. Why is there a difference? The blacks and colors just look so pale on the HDMI cable.

Just a silly thought here, but have you calibrated your HDMI input? Most sets store the calibration values (brightness, contrast, etc) separately for each input.
post #114 of 1162 Old 03-17-2006, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysam View Post

Just a silly thought here, but have you calibrated your HDMI input? Most sets store the calibration values (brightness, contrast, etc) separately for each input.

There are always differences when you switch from one input to another, even with the same equipment. Calibrate the system before comparing PQ.
post #115 of 1162 Old 03-18-2006, 06:31 AM

In my area it is against code to run an extension cord through a wall, so just don't tell anyone. Pick up an 8' grounded extension cord. hook the extension cord to your plasma cord and shrink wrap the connection.
post #116 of 1162 Old 03-18-2006, 06:46 AM
Advanced Member

Thank you Big Ryan...

....downstairs on the 6th floor, we have a room for cocktails, which has a Panny plasma on the wall and all the cables are inside!Same thig for the gym room: 2 panny plasmas with all the cable inside the wall!

So I guess I can do a bit of cable fishing myself in my apartment!

I'm wondering if I should just put a cable raceway from the NEC to the low cabinet and then just run the cables horizontally near the wall.

anyone else on this?
post #117 of 1162 Old 03-18-2006, 02:31 PM

Yes, I have calibrated for the HDMI input. It was actually the very first thing that I did. I also have calibrated my set with AVIA. Prior to using the HDMI. My DVD player does not accept HDMI though... so I can not calibrate for the HDMI specifically...
post #118 of 1162 Old 03-18-2006, 07:36 PM

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

has anyone purchased these cables...tv is coming this week (panny 42" phd8uk) and the premuim cables are out of stock. I was just wondering if I will have any picture clarity loss. Thanks in advance.
post #119 of 1162 Old 03-19-2006, 03:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kparker View Post

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

has anyone purchased these cables...tv is coming this week (panny 42" phd8uk) and the premuim cables are out of stock. I was just wondering if I will have any picture clarity loss. Thanks in advance.

i haven't but you have to wonder what such a cheap looking cable is and isn't going to do for you.

have a look at this one, it cost me a lot more than the cable your looking at but i think it's well worth it.

i bought one for my 50" phd8uk.

Ultralink RCA Component To XGA

Just say no to cable.
post #120 of 1162 Old 03-19-2006, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joetoronto View Post

i haven't but you have to wonder what such a cheap looking cable is and isn't going to do for you.

have a look at this one, it cost me a lot more than the cable your looking at but i think it's well worth it.

i bought one for my 50" phd8uk.

Ultralink RCA Component To XGA

That cable does look top notch...just wondering if I ned yo psend $114.95 on a cable.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page