post #361 of 10707 Old 01-31-2008, 09:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isochroma View Post

Today while thinking on the subject, I realized that if all the work that has been put into patching PDP and LCD with band-aids to mitigate their inherent defects, had instead been spent on OLED development, we would probably be able to buy 32" or larger OLEDs today..

Let's rephrase...."Today while thinking on the subject, I realized that if all the work that has been put into patching PDP and LCD with band-aids to mitigate their inherent defects, had instead been spent on fixing OLEDs inherent defects, we would probably be able to buy 32" or larger OLEDs today."

Point is that a lot of "band-aid" solutions are being applied to OLED to combat lifetime, mura, differential aging, charge trapping (IR), Burn-in

Your hatred for PDP goes pretty deep. What happened?

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 10707 Old 01-31-2008, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 118
[quote=xrox;12988881

You didn’t even consider OLED-SAH until I pointed it out to you, now you are twisting into an attribute. The main reason SAH is used in OLEDs is to extend lifetime. This comes at the expense of motion blur. Improve lifetime and then you can tune the duty cycle.

Too bad it is limited by the lifetime, and BTW OLED emission is very non uniform and thus leads to severe mura.
[/quote]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Xrox.

I was wondering if you had noticed this recent announcement, and if you think that such an approach will allow them to tune the OLED duty cycle?

Toshiba and Panasonic double OLED lifespan -- exceeds LCDs

[
While we love the low power consumption and ultra-high contrast achieved by OLEDs, there's one thing we hate: OLED's short lifespan. Toshiba and Panasonic are looking to change the game by announcing a new technology today that doubles the life of OLED displays. We're talking a bump from the stated 30,000-hour lifespan of Sony's XEL-1 TV to somewhere beyond that of your typical 50,000-hour LCD panel. Tosh and Panny's trick is to use a new metal membrane inside a prototype 20.8-inch panel to move light more efficiently. Let's see if this new development brings forth Toshiba's timeline for an OLED TV any.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/25/t...-exceeds-lcds/
post #363 of 10707 Old 01-31-2008, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenland View Post

While we love the low power consumption and ultra-high contrast achieved by OLEDs, there's one thing we hate: OLED's short lifespan. Toshiba and Panasonic are looking to change the game by announcing a new technology today that doubles the life of OLED displays. We're talking a bump from the stated 30,000-hour lifespan of Sony's XEL-1 TV to somewhere beyond that of your typical 50,000-hour LCD panel. Tosh and Panny's trick is to use a new metal membrane inside a prototype 20.8-inch panel to move light more efficiently. Let's see if this new development brings forth Toshiba's

Yes I've read a technical paper on this design. They have put a ribbed metal layer on the back of the OLED that scatters light and increases the light extraction efficiency of the pixel. This does not change the intrinsic lifetime of the EL material. What it does is allow them to lower the current density to the pixel and get the same brightness thus increasing lifetime. But they cannot "also" reduce the duty cycle. If they want to keep the same lifetime then yes they can reduce duty cycle.

post #364 of 10707 Old 01-31-2008, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrox View Post

Yes I've read a technical paper on this design. They have put a ribbed metal layer on the back of the OLED that scatters light and increases the light extraction efficiency of the pixel. This does not change the intrinsic lifetime of the EL material. What it does is allow them to lower the current density to the pixel and get the same brightness thus increasing lifetime. But they cannot "also" reduce the duty cycle. If they want to keep the same lifetime then yes they can reduce duty cycle.

Thanks for the insights. At least the increased lifetime aspect, is a step in the right direction.
It is good to see OLED, LCD, and Plasma, continuing to make breakthroughs. Competition is always good.

A monopoly only benefits the monopolists.

The more competition, the better it is for all consumers. Plasmaphobia is a self defeating affliction.
post #365 of 10707 Old 01-31-2008, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
xrox: regarding your last point: all I'm saying is that OLED will be CAPABLE of this, while PDP and LCD are NOT. Whether interpolation is used, or a direct signal providing the true framerate, is another issue altogether. Don't lump them together into some kind of criticism of OLED, because they aren't.

And the one attribute which LCD has both PDP and OLED beat is lifetime. At least for now, LCD is the longest-lived display technology, and may be for the forseeable future. However, there is also a significant chance that OLED emitters will reach much longer lifetimes, even surpassing LCD's cold-cathode and maybe even equalling LED backlights.
post #366 of 10707 Old 01-31-2008, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

"Your hatred for PDP goes pretty deep. What happened?"

xrox: the statement you quote references LCD as well as PDP, so don't be coming to any quick conclusions. I don't hate PDP, I hate flicker, and I can see it on all PDPs. I also hate dithering, and the low aperture ratio that makes PDPs look grainy up close, unlike LCDs.

Aside from its visual attributes, I also dislike its heavy weight, high power consumption, phosphor burn-in, high-voltage short-lived electronics, etc. They are all just more reasons that I will never support the PDP industry with a dollar of my money, and am enjoying watching it die as it is today.

You might think that I watch my display too close, but I'm just within the 30-degree FOV required for the 'immersion effect' (4' from my 32" LCD). Watching PDP from that distance is an annoyance too terrible for mere words, though I could try.

OLED will have a high aperture ratio and resolution, so it can be viewed up close to obtain the full immersion effect, without annoying pixel grain becoming evident, and without the flicker which becomes more visible in proportion to the brightness of the image and the closeness of the viewer.
post #367 of 10707 Old 01-31-2008, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Regarding the recent discussion of LCD and in particular PDP in this thread, I believe that it is important to contrast the fundamentals of PDP, LCD and OLED here to illustrate the areas where OLED's improvements will lead it to future market share.

It is vital to understand the attributes of OLED in comparison to its two competitors because its success in the marketplace is directly related to these differences.

I believe that OLED, if it succeeds, will do so by initially stealing market share from PDP, because it will emulate the positive attributes of PDP and omit the negative. Thus those who would have purchased PDP because of its motion rendering, black levels, or wide viewing angle, will instead buy OLED because of these and will get the additional benefits of light weight, longer life, better reliability, less motion blur, no dithering, higher efficiency, etc.

However, I would measure its true success as the percent marketshare that can be stolen from LCD, which is truly the Asian tiger of the display world.
post #368 of 10707 Old 01-31-2008, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Blah Blah Blah. Who care what you believe about what might happen. That is not reporting on current OLED developments, and resembles more the product of The Psychic Network Hotline, and even they never saw their bankruptcy coming.

You keep throwing in that longer life claim, but that is still one of the biggest problems with the current OLED panels, so for you to jump out and make the claim that it's longer life attributes is going to be one of the big reasons for people to switch from plasmas is patently absurd. You are starting to sound more and more like our resident SED fanatic.
post #369 of 10707 Old 01-31-2008, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Your impoliteness would warrant removal of your account from this forum, if I were an administrator. Thank you luck that I am not.

Regarding lifetime, that is still under development and is improving rapidly. There is no way to predict the future, but why are you insulting me for stating my opinion, which is allowed on this forum? There is every evidence that lifetimes will continue to increase; you are welcome to substantiate your views, but your last post contains not a drop of technical information, just opinion.

Also note, that none of my posts contain insults to other users; you would do well to emulate such behaviour if you plan on staying here much longer. If you don't care what I believe then don't respond; your response indicates you are threatened but doesn't contain anything that would help the forum community, thus it is detrimental.

I created this thread from pure vision, and will continue to maintain it; unlike SED, OLED is a shipping product. Regardless of its future, it will remain a topic covered by my family of technology and market threads.
post #370 of 10707 Old 01-31-2008, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is a prime example of your so called polite, helping the forum community out. They are your exact words, so get of your high horse. You have being on a long standing anti plasma crusade, but now you want to be treated like a purer that Cesar's wife, objective poster.

The following words from you reveal that you are not.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post10890912

Plasma yo outta da house!
Like da common kitchen louse!

Plasma's out without a doubt
the words spill out in racous shout
you may say i'm just a lout
but LCD will live to route
the beastly plasma without a doubt!
post #371 of 10707 Old 01-31-2008, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I like rhymes, but do you see any personal insults in that quote? I don't. Perhaps you should re-read the forum rules:
3. Thou shalt remember that polite queries will elicit polite and helpful responses, likewise, that ranting and raving, bashing, and insults will prompt commensurate responses. Ye shall reap what ye sow. Using the phrase "Blah Blah Blah. Who care what you believe about what might happen." to refer to my opinions is a personal attack; rhymes about technology are not. Differing opinions are allowed on this forum, but not personal attack. Read the rules.

Now how about making your next post about some substantive issue related to the topic of this thread, OLED, which we can actually debate about? That would really help avert the attention of the moderators, who are probably starting to eye this thread.

If you disagree with any of my opinions, bring forward some evidence (do you have any?). We can chat all you like about the issues of OLED, but please leave the personal attacks behind.

While my like for OLED and dislike for PDP and certain aspects of LCD are personal, and my motivation for creating and posting in these threads is also personal, the content of my posts is directed at the technology and my opinions of it, not against other users.

This forum is not a place for people to fight each other, but rather a place where each person can bring out the best of what information they have, and their opinions regarding the thread topic. Thus a big collection of relevant information can be formed, and on-topic debates may generate from them. All to the advancement of general public education, among other results.
post #372 of 10707 Old 01-31-2008, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

So your defense of your crusade against plasma technology is you like rhymes. I will take that as you have no defense for the content of what you said in your rhymes. I saw another one on your hit and run rhymes on a plasma forum thread about the next generation of the Pioneers plasmas. Recall that one, where you said that their ad person should be shot. Who do you think you are fooling with your faux above the fray protestations.
post #373 of 10707 Old 01-31-2008, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't need to 'defend' my 'crusade' because it is not contrary to any rules on the forum. My opinions regarding PDP or any other technology are not a personal attack, and are thus compliant with forum rules (and also my own set of values regarding how I post about stuff like this). I love rhymes, and will not hesitate to express my opinion of various technologies using them. That is my right on this forum, as it is yours also. However you do it, this forum is about discussing technology, both fact and opinion. It is not, however, a place to attack other users for their opinions.

In order to maintain the coherency of this thread I will only be responding to on-topic questions from you and others. If you wish to continue with non-topical discussion, you are welcome to use the private message system to discuss with me; it was created for this purpose, among others.
post #374 of 10707 Old 01-31-2008, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Saint-Gobain and Novaled announce a breakthrough in glass substrates for OLED
11 January 2008

Saint-Gobain and Novaled have demonstrated the feasibility of large area OLEDs, based on a new high-performance metallic anode, with Saint-Gobain Recherche technology and Novaled OLED proprietary developments.

The goal of a two-year research cooperation programme between both partners has been to develop basic technologies for high-performance white OLEDs. Researchers at Saint-Gobain Recherche (SGR) have created a highly conductive transparent electrode “Silverduct™”, bringing up to 10 times better surface conductivity than traditional ITO (Indium Tin Oxide). Thanks to Novaled PIN OLED™ technology for high efficiency OLEDs, samples were successfully manufactured on large area surfaces. SGR and Novaled now see the possibility to produce homogeneous OLED devices up to 100 cm² which will ease the manufacturing of large OLED lighting products.

Traditional ITO coated glass impedes the race to large area OLED, due to its limited ability to carry current over distances longer than a couple of centimetres. Therefore, for large area OLEDs, the ITO layer must be topped with a thick metallic grid to prevent gradient of light emission caused by the sheet resistance of ITO alone (typically 30 Ohm/sq). The new anode Silverduct™ has a sheet resistance of less than 4 Ohm/sq, thus enabling large area OLEDs without additional metal grids. This is an important step especially for transparent and bottom emission OLEDs in which the metal grid is visible. Additionally, by eliminating the metal grid Silverduct™ offers significant potential for reducing manufacturing costs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sony said to be seeking strategic partners to produce and sell OLED panels
23 January 2008

In order to expand the OLED TV market, Sony, which released the world's first OLED TV last year, is looking for strategic partners to cooperate in the production and sales of OLED panels, according to a Chinese-language Commercial Times report.

The report also cited Taiwan-based Topology Research Institute (TRI) as saying shipments of OLED TVs will rise from nearly 4,000 units in 2007 to 3.75 million units in 2012. While Digitimes Research recently estimated that shipments of OLED TVs will grow from 2,000 units in 2007 to 18,000 units in 2008, while further shooting up to 50,000 units in 2009 and 120,000 units in 2010.

During the recently completed CES 2008 show in Las Vegas, Samsung Electronics also showcased two (14.1-and 31-inch) OLED TV models, with the company stating it will begin commercial production of mid- to large-sized OLED TVs around 2010.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OLED-T green OLED emitter offers world class efficiency performance
25 January 2008

OLED-T, a developer and manufacturer of world-class organic light emitting diode (OLED) materials and device structures, today announced a green phosphorescent OLED material with world class efficiency performance.

The new material called E255a has a high colour saturation making it ideal for a broad range of product applications in single colour and full colour displays. The material also has a very high efficiency delivering high brightness at low power making it ideal for mobile product applications with either passive matrix or active matrix driving.

OLED-T has already established a world class materials and technology portfolio in the charge injection, transportation and host areas and the new material expands this line-up into the emitter area. OLED-T is also developing phosphorescent red and fluorescent blue materials in order to offer manufacturers a single source of all the materials required to manufacture an OLED display.

“OLED-T is well positioned to take advantage of the growing market of OLED displays through its portfolio of materials for OLED displays. The new green material exceeds the requirements for consumer applications. These performance results are impressive and a tribute to the research and development team at OLED-T,” said Myrddin Jones, CEO, OLED-T..

“The combination of high efficiency and high colour saturation are very hard to achieve and they firmly position the company as a world-class provider of materials for OLED displays,” added Jones.said Myrddin Jones, CEO, OLED-T.

The University of Hong Kong has manufactured OLED demonstrators using E255a and has reported a device efficiency of 40 cd/A at 1000 cdm-2 with a very saturated green colour coordinate of (0.28, 0.64) which is wider than commercially available LCD products.

OLED is developing into an important market for the display industry as well as the chemical industry. Materials are estimated to make-up 20 per cent of the value of the OLED supply chain.

The worldwide flat panel display market was worth $70 billion in 2006 and is forecast to rise to $100 billion by 2010 according to display industry analysts. OLED is the fastest growing non-LCD display technology and by 2010 it is predicted that the sector will be worth more than $2.5 billion.

E225a will be available for customer sampling from January 2008 and can be deposited onto any desired substrate by vacuum coating methods.
post #375 of 10707 Old 01-31-2008, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't need to 'defend' my 'crusade' because it is not contrary to any rules on the forum. My opinions regarding PDP or any other technology are not a personal attack, and are thus compliant with forum rules (and also my own set of values regarding how I post about stuff like this). I love rhymes, and will not hesitate to express my opinion of various technologies using them. That is my right on this forum, as it is yours also. However you do it, this forum is about discussing technology, both fact and opinion. It is not, however, a place to attack other users for their opinions.

In order to maintain the coherency of this thread I will only be responding to on-topic questions from you and others. If you wish to continue with non-topical discussion, you are welcome to use the private message system to discuss with me; it was created for this purpose, among others.

I have no problem with your OLED thread. In fact, if you look back, I have posted a few articles about it, that I came across. I recently posted the one about Toshiba/Panasonic finding a way to extend the life span of the panels, and I re quoted it today. I want it to mature into something great, but I do not appreciate your agenda that all you want to see it do is kill off plasmas. No one is going to hold a gun to your head and make you buy a plasma. I do not care that you choose to speak in rhyme, so that is a straw man that you have set up. I do object to your perpetual harping on your desire to see an end to plasma. As I said on a post to day, I want LCD, Plasma and OLED to flourish, In fact I started a thread to track if FED nanocarbon tubes might mature into something worthwhile. I want as many different great technologies to be developed as possible, and that will give me far more options to choose from. Just because I will opt for one, does not mean that I should root against the survival and improvement of the other types of displays, which others might prefer. That is my big problem with your anti plasma crusade. Just because it is not for you, you want it destroyed.
post #376 of 10707 Old 02-01-2008, 06:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:

Of course the paper you linked to is Panasonic propaganda; though it does have some interesting information, using it as a reference guide for future market predictions would be unwise.

So you're saying that the founder and president of DisplaySearch is doing Panasonic propaganda disguised as a research paper - for which they normally ask thousands of dollars for people to read?

Quote:

Indeed competition is good, but that's not going to stop me from stating my opinion on PDP technology. I believe that PDP as an economic product is doomed; first by LCD and next by the subject of this thread, OLED. The advantages of OLED are too many, and its potential easily great enough to surpass PDP.

Nobody of us would mind if OLED developed into the next big thing. But it will take a while until OLED will be able to offer screens big enough to be useful for reasonable prices. In the meanwhile Pioneer is constantly improving plasma technology and prices are lowering all the time. So let's wait and see how everything plays out before jumping to conclusions...

Quote:

And if you think 10 Lu/W is efficient, remember that a 100W incandescent (those bulbs that are getting restricted and soon to be banned in some countries due to their gross inefficiency) gets 16 Lu/W, and 4' T8 triphosphor fluorescent 80-90 Lu/W, and metal halide 100+. In other words, PDP is less efficient than the lowliest of illuminants

Which goes to show how much potential for effiecency improvement there might still be in store for plasma!

Quote:

Regarding SAH, it is not a defect but a positive attribute

I was not talking about sample and hold, I was talking about the sample and hold effect. Do you know what it is? Are you aware that SAH creates motion blur? Is motion blur suddenly a positive attribute for you?

Funny enough the best bet to reduce/remove the sample and hold effect is to introduce artificial flickering (like Sony is offering in their latest and greatest home cinema projector). So where again had OLED advantages over plasma?

Quote:

It is possible to pulse the PDP's PWM faster to make the flicker less visible (or even invisible) but running circuits at all three: high voltage, high frequency, and high power, is a guarantee that you'll also get the other three: high cost, short life, high operating temperature.

That's just nonsense, sorry. See xrox posts...

Quote:

- Short life is infeasible because lifetimes are already too short and LCDs last longer;

Sorry? Panasonic's new plasma models are rated 100.000 hours... Of course some electronic part of the display will break long before half life time is reached. Same as with any LCD display or future OLED display. Lifetime has long stopped to be a problem with any good LCD or plasma display.

Quote:

Hotter electronics can't be done because the electronics already run too hot

Sorry? Have you read the DisplaySearch paper I've posted in my previous comment? Seemingly not. As plasmas moves to 10 lm/w power consumption will noticably drop, voltages also and heat, too, even very noticably so. DisplaySearch even mentiones that they expect that heat protection filters will be dropped in newer plasma models because the heat will be noticably lower than with current models.

Quote:

Depending on its design, OLED can be fully held like LCD or flicker at 60 Hz.

For home cinema usage flickering will likely be the way to go, which means there'll be no difference between plasma and OLED in this aspect.

Quote:

Finally, OLED can do something neither LCD nor PDP can: it can run at hundreds or thousands of frames per second, since the emitter has a response time in the microsecond range. This allows a third alternative, rather than the duality of SAH/flicker: using interpolation or a high-speed external signal, it can show flicker-free silky smooth motion.

There's no plan in Hollywood (not even a plan of a plan) to increase frame rates to anything more than max 60Hz - if at all. So forget about high-speed external signals for home cinema use in the next 20 years. Sure, interpolation is technically possible. But if you read through the forums, all current implementations plain right suck.
post #377 of 10707 Old 02-01-2008, 08:51 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:

Right now PDP costs cannot compete with LCD and thus PDP is losing market share.

Isochroma,

Your analysis on PDP's demise is far from reality.

Worldwide PDP shipments surge more than 42% in 4Q07 to record levels

"PDP pricing was better than LCD, with 42-inch HD PDP panels 20% less than comparable LCDs. PDP pricing is also falling faster on quarter than comparable LCD panel sizes."

And the largest PDP manufacturer (36% of the PDP Market) is very profitable.

Matsushita profit up 22 percent, outlook unchanged
post #378 of 10707 Old 02-01-2008, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

3. Thou shalt remember that polite queries will elicit polite and helpful responses, likewise, that ranting and raving, bashing, and insults will prompt commensurate responses. Ye shall reap what ye sow. If you disagree with any of my opinions, bring forward some evidence (do you have any?). We can chat all you like about the issues of OLED, but please leave the personal attacks behind.

Isochroma, I don't think anyone on AVS is not looking forward to OLED HT displays (it is an exciting thought). But as the above forum rule states, if you "rant and rave and bash" technologies in what seems like a troll like manner, you can expect responses like you have gotten. Your technical threads are great resources but your troll like attitude towards other technologies is not helpfull at all, and in many cases is not even accurate.

It really is too bad that you didn't start a Plasma Technology Advancement thread as well as I would have liked that.

post #379 of 10707 Old 02-02-2008, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
madshi...only problem is that you are rude to plasma owners without directly pointing them out.
Not to mention, let me know when OLED makes it to the stores, I can get one that is 'at least' 50", and doesn't cost as much as a car.
Sounds great and I'm extremely hopeful for it....but it is a long ways away from mainstream adoption, no?
post #380 of 10707 Old 02-02-2008, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-A-G-L-E-S View Post

madshi...only problem is that you are rude to plasma owners without directly pointing them out.
Not to mention, let me know when OLED makes it to the stores, I can get one that is 'at least' 50", and doesn't cost as much as a car.
Sounds great and I'm extremely hopeful for it....but it is a long ways away from mainstream adoption, no?

Pardon me, but I do not think it is "Madshi" that is rude to plasma owners. I think you had better re-read his posts. You got the guy totally wrong.
post #381 of 10707 Old 02-06-2008, 02:00 PM

Why is this a argument thread? I just wanna read hard facts about advancements... Can you guys keep it somewhere else?
post #382 of 10707 Old 02-06-2008, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I agree; the discussion should be limited to OLED. Off-topic discussion can be done in other threads or via Private Message.
post #383 of 10707 Old 02-06-2008, 09:28 PM

I'm so excited and I just can't hide it
I'm about to lose control and I think I like it.

MJM3000
post #384 of 10707 Old 02-08-2008, 03:03 PM

What are whites like on OLED compared to LCD? There's nothing better than LCD whites, right?
post #385 of 10707 Old 02-08-2008, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

That will depend on the implementation, but at minimum you can expect something far superior to the feeble whites on PDP, whose market (if it succeeds) OLED will consume first. Here's what we have and what's coming in the near future:

Sony develops little'n'large OLED TV panels
"Its all-white brightness is 200cdm², peaking at more than 600cdm²" Dai Nippon Printing to commercialize OLEDs for sign displays in 2008
"Jointly with a research institute, the Japanese vendor plans to develop technology to extend the lifespan of panels by ten times that of conventional products to 10,000 hours, with a brightness at 1,000 cd/m2, the company said." Previous stories posted in this thread contain more data on individual emitters.
post #386 of 10707 Old 02-08-2008, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I agree; the discussion should be limited to OLED. Off-topic discussion can be done in other threads or via Private Message.

Quote:

That will depend on the implementation, but at minimum you can expect something far superior to the feeble whites on PDP, whose market (if it succeeds) OLED will consume first. Here's what we have and what's coming in the near future:

What a hypocrite you are. You keep on claiming that this this thread should be limited to OLED discussions only, and then you follow up with a post that brings your Plasmaphobia to the thread once more.
post #387 of 10707 Old 02-08-2008, 06:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I'm comparing the brightness characteristic of OLED to PDP, nothing more. Interest has been expressed in the brightness attribute; other than comparison with existing technologies and posting some know values, how else can I help form an image of what it will look like?

Regarding brightness, OLED may or may not be brighter than LCD is now or at the time of its deployment, but will far exceed that of today's PDP and likely tomorrow's too, for some specific technical reasons.

Comparisons between OLED and other technologies are relevant, as I have said before in this thread. The differences between OLED and LCD/PDP are the key to its future success or failure, as they will differentiate it in future markets and provide value to offset its initially higher expected cost. Thus a close examination of these differences will provide much insight into future market prospects.

The personal attacks were the primary target of my previous comments regarding off-topic posts. This is a forum to post both facts and opinions, but not to fight with other users over personal preferences, which are all different. It is not my place to question your display preferences, as your situation is different than mine.

Rather, the technical and financial aspects covered in posts on this thread highlight the bigger world picture, and at the same time inform visitors with timely news as well as providing a space for opinion. Perhaps we can hear your opinion regarding the last poster's brightness question. The more people speak up with topical questions/comments/notes/stories, the better this thread can become.
post #388 of 10707 Old 02-08-2008, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

post #389 of 10707 Old 02-08-2008, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks!

Though I believe OLED will exceed PDP in almost every quality measure, I am concerned about one which PDP may be superior to OLED in: differential RGB ageing, in particular the rapid decline in blue OLED brightness relative to red and green.

PDP's RGB phosphors don't age exactly in sync and neither do CRT's, but they sync far closer than OLED's, thus less color shift is observed over the display's lifetime. The future of OLED emitters is unwritten, but at present differential ageing must be considered a negative relative to PDP, LCD and CRT.
post #390 of 10707 Old 02-08-2008, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sony 27-inch OLED TV Prototype
10 January 2008

[CES 2008] The 11-inch OLED TV is the first commercial OLED TV and it looks great in pictures, but it is simply too small to be really interesting in a home. This 27” OLED TV prototype is much more compelling and I can tell you that the image quality is nothing short of formidable. We are a couple of years from large OLED displays, according to industry insiders and we cannot wait to get our hands on one.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Oled Tv , Lg , Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page