Forum Jump: 
 131Likes

post #3871 of 10713 Old 04-01-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 47
It's looking like MSRP for the LG model is closing in on $6k- and I'm sure that will come down by the end of the year.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3872 of 10713 Old 04-01-2012, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
street price of $5k by December!?
post #3873 of 10713 Old 04-02-2012, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus® View Post

It just hit me to ask thiswill OLED panels need a brightness control? Since these panels create black by turning off pixels completely.

Did I answer my own question in my post?
post #3874 of 10713 Old 04-02-2012, 03:09 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

It just hit me to ask thiswill OLED panels need a brightness control? Since these panels create black by turning off pixels completely.

Quote:

Did I answer my own question in my post?

I don't think so. You still need to be able to match the brightness with the ambient light. In a dark room you need less brightness than in a bright room.

If all is well the brightness setting should not affect black levels though, unlike with LCD or Plasma.
post #3875 of 10713 Old 04-02-2012, 03:53 AM

Liked: 11
I can't wait until the price of this technology comes down!!! They say it is cheaper to make than LED and Plasma. I know there will always be a mark up at first with the new technology because of new production costs and research that went into the televisions. I wonder when they will make it affordable to the majority of the public?
post #3876 of 10713 Old 04-02-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I am trying to grind it out with my current TV's until the technology becomes main stream and affordable. I am hoping for a an 80incher in the $5K range. I guessestimate that will take 3 years.. hope my TVs last that long.
post #3877 of 10713 Old 04-02-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback View Post

I am trying to grind it out with my current TV's until the technology becomes main stream and affordable. I am hoping for a an 80incher in the $5K range. I guessestimate that will take 3 years.. hope my TVs last that long.

Leaving aside the question of price, I'm not at all persuaded anyone will introduce an 80 inch within 3 years.

Samsung and LG have both demoed a number of large screen LCDs for years, and both have shipped nothing more than 10s of thousands of even 65s in a single year. Their commitment to bigger sizes appears to really not much exist. And with the OLEDs being limited to 8G glass, 80s seem unlikely.

Further, I doubt Samsung's production method would even be plausible for an 80".

If one is holding out for sizes above the 60" that's common in LCD from both Samsung and LG, one might be waiting quite some time.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #3878 of 10713 Old 04-02-2012, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Leaving aside the question of price, I'm not at all persuaded anyone will introduce an 80 inch within 3 years.

Samsung and LG have both demoed a number of large screen LCDs for years, and both have shipped nothing more than 10s of thousands of even 65s in a single year. Their commitment to bigger sizes appears to really not much exist. And with the OLEDs being limited to 8G glass, 80s seem unlikely.

Further, I doubt Samsung's production method would even be plausible for an 80".

If one is holding out for sizes above the 60" that's common in LCD from both Samsung and LG, one might be waiting quite some time.

You may be right Rogo. I guess I am optimistic that LG or Samsung will be able to get production going. I just cant see paying $5K for 55 inch television when I really want something larger.
post #3879 of 10713 Old 04-02-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HearingImpaired View Post

I can't wait until the price of this technology comes down!!! They say it is cheaper to make than LED and Plasma. I know there will always be a mark up at first with the new technology because of new production costs and research that went into the televisions. I wonder when they will make it affordable to the majority of the public?

If the lg is priced @ 8K that is already much cheaper than I first anticipated....

The price tag on the early philips and fujitsu plasmas would make your wallet cry for mercy
post #3880 of 10713 Old 04-02-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97 View Post

street price of $5k by december!?

Reunite Pangea!
post #3881 of 10713 Old 04-02-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Price level will as always depend on supply versus demand, and supply numbers will also depend on the yield percentage of good panels at the outset. It is highly unlikely that LG will ship enough good panels this year to outstrip demand, and should the demand turn out to be lower, than the meager number of panels they have projected to turn out for all the major international markets, then they will have trouble funding a rapid expansion of production capacity.
post #3882 of 10713 Old 04-03-2012, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I can't recall reading anything about the application of OLED to projectors. If that's plausible, that could be one method to address 80"+ sizes.
post #3883 of 10713 Old 04-03-2012, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post

I can't recall reading anything about the application of OLED to projectors. If that's plausible, that could be one method to address 80"+ sizes.

OLED doesn't especially lend itself to microdisplay (what you'd need for projectors). It's transparency would be a huge negative. You'd need a secondary device for light control.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #3884 of 10713 Old 04-04-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post

You would have to drive the pixels way too hard for them to work in a projector. They would probably burn-in in a few hours. Even CRT projectors burned in fairly fast.

If OLED could be "printed" like some suggest the "projector screen" could actually be a replaceable direct view screen. That is probably way in the future though.
post #3885 of 10713 Old 04-13-2012, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Samsung now saying that details on the 55" OLED television will be coming at IFA in August.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/4527...xury-tv-coming
post #3886 of 10713 Old 04-13-2012, 06:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I love the screen on the vita... its beautiful. Colors are amazing and the contrast makes games look almost 3d, better than any plasma. Only problem is that in a dark room with a completely black screen, I can see blotches. Apparently this is common on all Vitas, some worse than others. Mine isn't horrible, since I rarely play mine in the dark or watch movies it doesn't bother me. However if my tv did this on a all black screen it would drive me nuts. So does OLED tech have an issue with black uniformity or is that a sony thing?
post #3887 of 10713 Old 04-13-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 214
Philips and TPV-tech(which is Taiwan based) plans on showing a OLED prototype at IFA 2012 and OLED TVs for consumer market in 2013
http://www.oled-display.net/philips-...e-at-ifa-2012/
post #3888 of 10713 Old 04-13-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slacker711 View Post

Samsung now saying that details on the 55" OLED television will be coming at IFA in August.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/4527...xury-tv-coming

This would seem to indicate no likely shipment this year, although perhaps Q4.

post #3889 of 10713 Old 04-14-2012, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
IFA. European trade show.

Michael Zoeller, European marketing director of Samsung Televisions.

Nothing to do with any North American schedule, or Korea for that matter.

Means near zero.

Quote:

This would seem to indicate no likely shipment this year, although perhaps Q4.

buytme
post #3890 of 10713 Old 04-14-2012, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B View Post

IFA. European trade show.

Michael Zoeller, European marketing director of Samsung Televisions.

Nothing to do with any North American schedule, or Korea for that matter.

Means near zero.

I know that reading comp isn't your strongest skill, but the linked article refers to introduction of the product there, suggesting it won't be out yet.

If it's not out yet anywhere and is introduced at IFA, it is unlikely to be available anywhere (except perhaps Korea) before the end of the year.

Of course, things don't always happen this way, but generally that's how it works.

Perhaps someone knows of some sooner plan to ship a Samsung OLED, but I don't.

post #3891 of 10713 Old 04-14-2012, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
But I can hear the distant whistle and some occasional steam released.

Reunite Pangea!
post #3892 of 10713 Old 04-14-2012, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

The point is, you DON'T KNOW anything about Samsung's plans. That's zero.

Let me quote.

"At the same time, Zoeller confirmed that more details on the company's anticipated Super OLED TV, introduced at CES 2012, will be coming at IFA 2012. We should have a price then for those eyeing one up for Christmas."

I don't see where it says they are "introducing" it there. hmm. "Having a price then" doesn't mean they won't have it BEFORE then.

How about a few quotes about a Summer Olympic release date?

"According to CNET, Samsung has accelerated their plans for the 55-inch OLED-TV and expects to launch the TV in the UK this spring. That launch window will make it available in time for the 2012 Summer Olympics in London this summer.

Update 11:21:00 Samsung has clarified the CNET story and tells that the launch plans are unchanged."

"Samsung’s monster 55in OLED TV, which debuted at the International Consumer Electronics Show in January, will launch in the UK this spring."

Seriously, I can read stuff on the internet and make guesses about things as well as you do, and for everything YOU wish to guess one way I can guess the opposite.

What exactly is your point in these guesses? You Have NO inside information from either LG or Samsung, you're just an internet reader commentor.

And one that can't even stick to one side or the other at that. And sometimes you just post to say "They might do it, or they might not."
Like how about this one?

"This would seem to indicate no likely shipment this year, although perhaps Q4.
".

You're going to count that as a "I was right all along!" post in the future won't you? LOL

You're a hoot sometimes.

Quote:

I know that reading comp isn't your strongest skill, but the linked article refers to introduction of the product there, suggesting it won't be out yet.

If it's not out yet anywhere and is introduced at IFA, it is unlikely to be available anywhere (except perhaps Korea) before the end of the year.

Of course, things don't always happen this way, but generally that's how it works.

buytme
post #3893 of 10713 Old 04-14-2012, 07:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You're a hoot sometimes.

You're a hoot never.

post #3894 of 10713 Old 04-15-2012, 02:03 AM

Gaming videos using 3x LG 15EL9500, GTX 480 SLI in portrait mode and NVIDIA Surround Vision.

http://www.youtube.com/user/spacejew42/videos
post #3895 of 10713 Old 04-15-2012, 09:42 AM

A few years ago, Sony released a Walkman with an OLED Screen (called the Walkman X series). Thing is, the model is now discontinued.

So with that said, when can we see the return of an OLED walkman?
post #3896 of 10713 Old 04-15-2012, 04:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I hate to quote my own posts, but anyone doubting my reading of the above should read this link below:

http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-ful...gust-13222756/

It makes it more than clear that Samsung's OLED will not be shipping prior to IFA, but instead will be shipping after IFA. And while it still might sneak out in 2012 (I'm honestly not sure), it might well not.

post #3897 of 10713 Old 04-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Yes, we see plenty of sites taking 1 line spoken by Michael Zoeller, European marketing director of Samsung Televisions and running with the "it's not coming out till after IFA".

Still no press release from Samsung saying any of this.

And ANOTHER "it might come out, it might not" from you. PLEASE what's the point in even typing stuff like that?

I predict the earth will end tonight. Or maybe not.

Quote:

I hate to quote my own posts, but anyone doubting my reading of the above should read this link below:

http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-ful...gust-13222756/

It makes it more than clear that Samsung's OLED will not be shipping prior to IFA, but instead will be shipping after IFA. And while it still might sneak out in 2012 (I'm honestly not sure), it might well not.

buytme
post #3898 of 10713 Old 04-15-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Let me get this straight, a 55" LG at Cannes and a 55" Samsung at IFA - now i don't know which to buy
post #3899 of 10713 Old 04-15-2012, 08:01 PM

Well, I was going to get the 64/65 inch tv, I so wanted this year,but I now find myself thinking I may want to wait to see what happens with oled. If I buy the 64/65 incher this year, I will not be able to get another tv for about 3-4 years. So, I either buy the samsung 64 this year, or wait for the oled - next year and hope the price is not too high.
Anyway, what will be the biggest the oled screens will get ?(in 1-2 years). I would not really be interested in a 55 inch , even though I assume the pq would be amazing. Has there ben anymore talk of the 4k x 2k res tv's ? I guess even those tv's (4k x 2k) would't matter much as networks are just getting a handle on 1080p(i). Would there be any way someone could produce a blu ray player that could do 4k x 2k ? And then I guess you would still need a blu ray movie shot in that res for it to work well , right ?

All this new stuff is confusing at times. What would be ones best hope for the availability of a 65 inch oled at a reasonable (under 6k) price be, as in 2 years or will oled command a higher price for a longer time ? Take care guys.

Enjoy, and
god bless

tony

tonyjd40
you can dream of where you will be ten years from now,or
you can work hard today to actually get there
post #3900 of 10713 Old 04-15-2012, 10:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

And ANOTHER "it might come out, it might not" from you. PLEASE what's the point in even typing stuff like that?

The point -- understood by most people without tiny brains -- is that if one is waiting for this particular model, the wait might be long. If one sees the LG for sale (and really wants an OLED soon), they should consider just buying it.

It's information, even if you don't care about it. I suggest your sanity might be better preserved by putting me on your ignore list.

I will never stop commenting on news reports.

Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Oled Tv , Lg , Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page