91Likes

post #8461 of 10554 Old 01-29-2014, 09:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinger View Post

IMO a strong indicator that LG is being successful with mass production of OLED TVs will be the announcement of several new models with FLAT screens.

And to think I remember when flat screens were a great selling point ... in CRT days! (Back then, TVs were normally convex for structural integrity of the CRT and no one had any delusions of that curvature improving improving the viewing experience.) I'm interested in seeing if real-world experience of concave screens does anything to improve the viewing experience.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8462 of 10554 Old 01-29-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark12547 View Post

Quote:

IMO a strong indicator that LG is being successful with mass production of OLED TVs will be the announcement of several new models with FLAT screens.

And to think I remember when flat screens were a great selling point ... in CRT days! (Back then, TVs were normally convex for structural integrity of the CRT and no one had any delusions of that curvature improving improving the viewing experience.) I'm interested in seeing if real-world experience of concave screens does anything to improve the viewing experience.

.....Structural integrity was gained with a curve, but it was not the compelling reason.  Getting an beam to emanate from a point source in the back outward to a flat rectangle requires a continuity of positional adjustments.  And the intensity of the beam varies on angle as well.

Positional issues alone though, the first days of the "flat screen" CRTs were a disaster!  They were in deed flat but looked oddly bowed inward in places because of how they didn't quite get the columnation down.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #8463 of 10554 Old 01-29-2014, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 20

It's called bad geometrics.

post #8464 of 10554 Old 01-29-2014, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

BTW, speaking of absurdly stupid.

Has anyone seen a curved TV mounted on a wall yet?  I can't find any images online of such a thing except for the curved TV mounted on curved walls in shows.  Which I find funny in its own way.

What? You missed the fine print where your expected to re-do your viewing room to have a curved wall ?

Via my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk
post #8465 of 10554 Old 01-30-2014, 07:11 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

I just read a comment regarding the real reason many of these sets are curved. So folks will notice them when they walk into a store. Most average shoppers will notice the curve before they notice any PQ improvement. Makes sense.

Back in mid-December i stopped in Video & Audio Center (an old-school higher-end AV store that i hadn't been to in years) and it was like being in flat panel heaven - it's a gorgeous showroom with like 3 dozen TVs. I was wandering around and sure enough that curved TV in the middle caught my eye (it was the LG OLED) then i spotted the curved Samsung OLED (both sitting on credenzas). The salesman (an old pro who i knew many years ago from Ken Crane's) remembered me and we chatted a bit then he asked me what i think about the curve and before i could think about being polite, i blurted out "It looks absolutely ridiculous". He kinda laughed and said that it does get a lot of attention but ultimately the curve is not popular among shoppers.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #8466 of 10554 Old 01-30-2014, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 150
The only thing I can ad to that scenario is that the vast majority of possible buyers will not have their initial experience with "curved" at a high end video store. That same set up in a Best Buy type environment will be much more successful. Once you get past the cost factor, and that will be a big factor, you have the wife factor. Female acceptance of "curved" will go a long long way to its acceptability in the home.
post #8467 of 10554 Old 01-30-2014, 10:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post

Back in mid-December i stopped in Video & Audio Center (an old-school higher-end AV store that i hadn't been to in years) and it was like being in flat panel heaven - it's a gorgeous showroom with like 3 dozen TVs. I was wandering around and sure enough that curved TV in the middle caught my eye (it was the LG OLED) then i spotted the curved Samsung OLED (both sitting on credenzas). The salesman (an old pro who i knew many years ago from Ken Crane's) remembered me and we chatted a bit then he asked me what i think about the curve and before i could think about being polite, i blurted out "It looks absolutely ridiculous". He kinda laughed and said that it does get a lot of attention but ultimately the curve is not popular among shoppers.
Amazing (and nice!) to hear that there are still a few independant, dedicated A/V stores left out there.

As an aside, I did stop in Best Buy's flagship store near their headquarters in Richfirled, MN on Tuesday the 28th and they had the LG's 55" curved OLED on display and running.
I extensively tested the 'off-axis' capabilities of this display while there, and it actually performs quite well in that regard which is a relief for any future decison I may make concerning OLEDs since plasmas are sadly on the way out...now to get these things in bigger (flat) panels and at a (much) better price!

The Insane Pink Care Bear's Home Theater Set Up:

Marantz AV 8801 Processor, Emotiva XPR-5 Amplifier, Panasonic 65" ST30 Plasma, Yamaha BD-S2900 Blu-ray, Yamaha CDC-697 CD Player, Yamaha TT-500U Turntable, w/Signet TK5e, JBL ES100 Fronts, JBL LC2 Center, JBL ES30 Surrounds & 2 JBL ES250P Subwoofers
post #8468 of 10554 Old 01-30-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Norseman View Post

Amazing (and nice!) to hear that there are still a few independant, dedicated A/V stores left out there.

As an aside, I did stop in Best Buy's flagship store near their headquarters in Richfirled, MN on Tuesday the 28th and they had the LG's 55" curved OLED on display and running.
I extensively tested the 'off-axis' capabilities of this display while there, and it actually performs quite well in that regard which is a relief for any future decison I may make concerning OLEDs since plasmas are sadly on the way out...now to get these things in bigger (flat) panels and at a (much) better price!

I'm glad off axis viewing was OK, but I can't imagine watching a curved screen off axis. The far away parts would be OK, but looking along the curve closest to me would drive me nuts.
post #8469 of 10554 Old 01-30-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:

Female acceptance of "curved" will go a long long way to its acceptability in the home.

Well, all I can say is your wife is pretty different from mine. As far as WAF in my home, the TV needs to be as unobtrusive and invisible as possible, and the last thing my wife would want is a curved screen in the living room drawing even more attention to itself...

I would suggest that anyone using a 'TV-cozy' will never bring a curved panel into their home (unless, of course, they have a dedicated HT room. That is a different story...).

-fafrd
post #8470 of 10554 Old 01-30-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I have a dedicated HT room and I would NEVER bring a curved screen into my home. I have seen the curved OLEDs with their distorted image and would NEVER buy one. I wouldn't take one is they gave it to me.
post #8471 of 10554 Old 01-30-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Well, all I can say is your wife is pretty different from mine. As far as WAF in my home, the TV needs to be as unobtrusive and invisible as possible, and the last thing my wife would want is a curved screen in the living room drawing even more attention to itself...

I would suggest that anyone using a 'TV-cozy' will never bring a curved panel into their home (unless, of course, they have a dedicated HT room. That is a different story...).

-fafrd
Ha. My wife is exactly like yours. Actually what I meant was that the wife's unacceptability of curved will insure it's death. Curved = Edsel.
post #8472 of 10554 Old 01-30-2014, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:

Ha. My wife is exactly like yours. Actually what I meant was that the wife's unacceptability of curved will insure it's death. Curved = Edsel.

Got you - so we're perfectly aligned. Perhaps Korean wives get excited about the idea of a curved TV in the home, but I guess that here in the US, getting a curved TV over the minimum WAF threshold is going to prove to be an even greater challenge that getting a larger diagonal panel through the front door biggrin.gif

-fafrd

'what do you mean it's too big????'
post #8473 of 10554 Old 01-30-2014, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

Got you - so we're perfectly aligned. Perhaps Korean wives get excited about the idea of a curved TV in the home, but I guess that here in the US, getting a curved TV over the minimum WAF threshold is going to prove to be an even greater challenge that getting a larger diagonal panel through the front door biggrin.gif

-fafrd

'what do you mean it's too big????'
OMG! That's a pure genius ploy. Take your wife into a store and show her the curved that you really really want (NOT). When she says"over my dead body", you kind of him haw around and look ever so sad and say "well OK i guess but can I at least go a little bit bigger than we had planned"? Somebody please try this ASAP and report back. Now I wish I hadn't just got a 70".
post #8474 of 10554 Old 01-30-2014, 03:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 387
"Large LCD Sales Jump As Wives Come To Realize Anything Is Better Than Having a Hideous Curved TV In Their Living Rooms; Rejuvenated Industry Claims, 'That Was Our Plan All Along, Mu-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha' "

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #8475 of 10554 Old 01-30-2014, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

I'm glad off axis viewing was OK, but I can't imagine watching a curved screen off axis. The far away parts would be OK, but looking along the curve closest to me would drive me nuts.
Yeah, I agree about the curved screen being a problem.
But at least I confirmed that (even despite the curve) I could certainly live with an OLED display in my HT (converted living room!) should they ever come down in price, up in size, and fix the production problems and blue color longevity issues.
The off-axis viewing quality didn't deteriorate at all that I could tell - even when 45 degrees off center.
A nice 75" OLED 4K would be just about perfect...smile.gif
RichB likes this.

The Insane Pink Care Bear's Home Theater Set Up:

Marantz AV 8801 Processor, Emotiva XPR-5 Amplifier, Panasonic 65" ST30 Plasma, Yamaha BD-S2900 Blu-ray, Yamaha CDC-697 CD Player, Yamaha TT-500U Turntable, w/Signet TK5e, JBL ES100 Fronts, JBL LC2 Center, JBL ES30 Surrounds & 2 JBL ES250P Subwoofers
post #8476 of 10554 Old 01-30-2014, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

"Large LCD Sales Jump As Wives Come To Realize Anything Is Better Than Having a Hideous Curved TV In Their Living Rooms; Rejuvenated Industry Claims, 'That Was Our Plan All Along, Mu-Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha' "

My prediction:

By the time they can produce OLEDs are reasonable prices, curved screens will be as prevalent as 3D glasses at BB.
Quote:
Honey, that TV is bent, lets get one that isn't broken tongue.gif

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #8477 of 10554 Old 01-30-2014, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Even if OLED's were flat they are not affordable for many. Let the electronics companies play around a bit. Think of curved Tv's as those concept cars at auto shows, if they were for sale how many would actually be sold. When OLED's are affordable there will be flat ones (and maybe a couple of curved ones).

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #8478 of 10554 Old 01-30-2014, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1002
Well, the difference between the concept cars and the curved OLEDs is the latter are for sale, for better or for worse. wink.gif
post #8479 of 10554 Old 01-31-2014, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 60
Well. even if those curved OLEDs do not sell there was enough media noise that general public is now educated there is something called OLED and it is different from LED tongue.gif.

irkuck
post #8480 of 10554 Old 01-31-2014, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OMG! That's a pure genius ploy. Take your wife into a store and show her the curved that you really really want (NOT). When she says"over my dead body", you kind of him haw around and look ever so sad and say "well OK i guess but can I at least go a little bit bigger than we had planned"? Somebody please try this ASAP and report back. Now I wish I hadn't just got a 70".

Men worry more about how a TV looks when it's on.  Wives worry more about how it looks when it's off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

Beat me to it.

WARNING: You have now entered a no @#$%tard zone. Please gather your anti-vaccine propaganda nonsense and slowly back out the way you came in.
post #8481 of 10554 Old 01-31-2014, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 197
Everything in the universe nowadays favors LCD that sucks--I need to change universes.
Weboh and Chris5028 like this.
post #8482 of 10554 Old 01-31-2014, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

Everything in the universe nowadays favors LCD that sucks--I need to change universes.

Probably.  As I have read your foaming at the mouth tirades over the many months, I've done so on a circa 2006 LCD notebook screen.  If I shift my head to the left or right a single inch, the opposing side darkens.  In fact, the middle is brightest because of the viewing angle alone.  I chuckle inwardly about how well you'd deal with this situation.

post #8483 of 10554 Old 02-01-2014, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

Probably.  As I have read your foaming at the mouth tirades over the many months, I've done so on a circa 2006 LCD notebook screen.  If I shift my head to the left or right a single inch, the opposing side darkens.  In fact, the middle is brightest because of the viewing angle alone.  I chuckle inwardly about how well you'd deal with this situation.

It didn't stop you from making a stupid joke about 60 inch microwaves.

post #8484 of 10554 Old 02-01-2014, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 59
^ The best joke I have seen in weeks on this forum. Better than needing a jock strap with the larger SVS subwoofers.
rogo and tgm1024 like this.
post #8485 of 10554 Old 02-01-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:

^ The best joke I have seen in weeks on this forum. Better than needing a jock strap with the larger SVS subwoofers.

Whatever ... evidently you didn't like the vacuum cleaner joke.

post #8486 of 10554 Old 02-01-2014, 06:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 387
I have to say, I LOL-ed on the microwave joke. As in, actual, audible laughing.
tgm1024 likes this.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #8487 of 10554 Old 02-02-2014, 08:11 AM

^ But I laughed at the vacuum cleaner joke.

post #8488 of 10554 Old 02-02-2014, 08:39 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post

I have a dedicated HT room and I would NEVER bring a curved screen into my home. I have seen the curved OLEDs with their distorted image and would NEVER buy one. I wouldn't take one is they gave it to me.

I couldn't stand the curve when i saw the LG and Sammy, it just looked really stupid and it seemed to make the geometry look a little off (a sort of "Bow Tie" effect) when sitting with my eye level at mid-screen (the top bows upward and bottom bows downward). It's just weird. I even told the salesman there's no way i'd buy a curved TV even at 1/10th the price. The TV makers cannot be serious about this curved crap. At least i hope they're not.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR605, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #8489 of 10554 Old 02-02-2014, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 138
They will be serious about it until they don't sell any or very little.
post #8490 of 10554 Old 02-02-2014, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 166
So much hate towards curve tv's.... I know 99.9% avsforum members hate it but I guess I'm that 00.1%. tongue.gif

I think it's very nice. If I have the money I would buy one. I sit directly in the middle when I watch my tv so a curve screen won't be a problem.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

Tags
Led Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv , Plasma Hdtv , Oled Tv , Lg , Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page