Dell 2407 vs Samsung 244T? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 09-08-2006, 05:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've read a few mentions of the Samsung 244T, but none that directly compare it much to the Dell 2407. I'm interested in a 24" LCD with a range of inputs (for use with Macbook, Xbox 360 and HD cable box) and I think one of these is my best option. Anyone want to weigh on one side or another?

Apparently the Dell is 6-bit (as opposed to 8-bit), but I'm honestly not sure why that makes a big difference. If it's minor, then I'll likely opt for it because it's about $150 cheaper.

If anyone owns the Samsung, I'd love to know if the LCD can be raised and lowered or if the stock photos accurately depict the height, which seems absurd but one Amazon reviewer claims it (search Amazon for the 244t black and you'll see it in the first review).

Cheers,
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 09-08-2006, 02:18 PM

I have the Samsung 244T and its adjustable. The first gen of 2407 had some serious banding issues (check google for some pics) but I don't know if they resolved that.
post #3 of 11 Old 09-08-2006, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Cool! Thanks for the important Samsung info...I figured it had to be adjustable, crazy Amazonian reviewer.

If anyone else has thoughts on 6-bit vs 8-bit on the Dell, I'd be eager to hear.

Thanks,
Mike
post #4 of 11 Old 09-08-2006, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Alt
Cool! Thanks for the important Samsung info...I figured it had to be adjustable, crazy Amazonian reviewer.

If anyone else has thoughts on 6-bit vs 8-bit on the Dell, I'd be eager to hear.

Thanks,
Mike
See if you can find out who makes the pannel for Dell. I read an unconfirmed post that the 2407FPW is made from the Samsung LTM240M2 panel. If you can find a way to confirm who actually makes the panel then you might be able to find more specs.

Here is a datasheet for the Samsung LTM240M2, it says "True 8-bit":
http://www.displaytechnology.co.uk/e...240M2-L02.html
Open the PDF data sheet, on page 3 it shows a table with item "Display Colors".
post #5 of 11 Old 09-09-2006, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

The more research I did, the more problems I discovered with the Dell monitor. The forum on Dell's website has many threads of complaints. The Samsung on the other hand has nothing but glowing reviews. Tracked down a silver 244T for $830, I'll report back my findings when things are setup.
post #6 of 11 Old 09-09-2006, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

I believe the 244T has quite a bit of 'input lag.' www.hardforum.com
post #7 of 11 Old 09-16-2006, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
From what I've read the dell 2407 IS 8bit panel, and the only issue I've ever really read about it is the banding issue which I read time and time again has been fixed in the 2 newer versions of it. Well fixed as in worked around , the problem is caused by the deinterlacing chip when dvi is used. But seems to be solved.

i7 4770K/16 gig 2133/GTX 680 840 PRO SSD

Paradigm Studio 100/570/20's/2200 Sub

Onkyo 809 42" LCD/Panny AE4000

post #8 of 11 Old 09-16-2006, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtv00
From what I've read the dell 2407 IS 8bit panel, and the only issue I've ever really read about it is the banding issue which I read time and time again has been fixed in the 2 newer versions of it. Well fixed as in worked around , the problem is caused by the deinterlacing chip when dvi is used. But seems to be solved.
The banding on the A02 is not completely fixed, but it only shows up in very rare cases. The banding is gone in the A03 revision, but the panel name in the service menu has changed so it might use a different panel. I don't think anyone knows for sure.
post #9 of 11 Old 09-17-2006, 01:01 AM

I've tried both of these monitors and can say firsthand - you get what you pay for!

The Dell is an exceptional budget monitor though, given the price of other 24" LCDs on the market it is fairly good for the price. Having said that though, if you are not on a strict budget and spending a few hundred more is not an issue, then go for something better. In fact I just remembered Benq introduced a 24" to the market recently. It is selling locally for $50 more than I paid for the Dell, and although I haven't read any reviews yet I hear it actually does support HDCP unlike the Dell does.

[EDIT]
I just read a bit more of the thread. I had an A02 revision of the Dell and it displayed the banding. From what I heard Chris @ Dell announced the A02 would be the final revision. Recently though people have been claiming to have A03 revisions shipped to them. I found this on WS forums posted by DVL73:

Most important 2407 revision is A01. This revision was responsible for the text blur fix and deactivation of the farouja engine in the desktop mode. In other words, farouja picture enhancing engine was not forced globally (in native or desktop monitor mode) so people didn't noticed the banding anymore.

Other revisions are not offering anything substantially important and even there is indication that A03 includes just few changes in the OSD software. In other words, I would not put too much hope in the subsequent revisions, after the A01 which was the major and important one.

So while A01 claimed to cure the banding issue, I myself and many others seen for themselves it was still there if you looked. I found it to not be much of an issue though, if you are using a Mac then you will probably notice it a bit more, but 95% of the time I never noticed it outside of Gradlin's banding test, only in some specific areas if I really looked for it. Really it was the text on the monitor that killed it for me. It seemed ok at first, but after reading for 20-30 minutes or so your eyes are left feeling strained. I used the monitor for 3 months before I took it back to Costco, and during that time my eyes never did get completely used to it (don't think they possibly could've). So to repeat once again: Unless your on a budget, just avoid the Dell 2407 alltogether.
[/EDIT]

That Samsung 244T is a nice monitor though, but it is a little pricey. There is better monitors coming very soon and Samsung won't be able to command such a premium price for the 244T with ample competition on the market at half the price, so it would most likely be wise just to wait if you really want that one. Go check out the Benq though, I would've got one myself but instead got a LCD TV which is working fine as a PC monitor (actually it is giving a better image than the Dell 2407, and that is a dedicated PC monitor :rolleyes: )

This is an excellent, excellent forum, but you may want to check out http://www.widescreengamingforum.com...30dd5c14f46c4b for a bit more specific computer LCD information. The guys there are all widescreen LCD obsessed, and you can find a plethora of information there right down to the exact specifics of the panels each different LCD uses. There are some real no-nonsense guys there who don't go on what they read or what is told to them by manufacturers, but rather take things apart and do some gritty research to find out the real facts. There is also a world of info on the 244T & 2407 there (and probably the new BenQ now that its out as well).

Good luck with it all ;)
post #10 of 11 Old 11-20-2006, 03:56 AM
Yul

Hi,
there is not much to think about technical aspects of these two monitors. Dell is buying the panels from Samsung. So the only difference is the optical look, and there had Dell definitely done good job. The monitor is really nice looking while Samsungs 244T is not attractive at all.
post #11 of 11 Old 11-20-2006, 05:51 AM

Search for the 2407WFP vs. 244T review on Be Hardware (I'd post the link, but the forum won't let me)

That's the review that did it for me

Pit against each other, ran same tests on each. Long story short, out-of-the-box, the 2407WFP is more accurate, but after calibration, the 244T wins. All banding issues have been resolved in the A03 version (which is what I'm using). 2407WFP does look way cooler. I believe it uses a SAMSUNG panel, but not the same exact one that the 244T uses. Forget all of that for now, though. Just read that review. Some parts may surprise you (I've been wanting a 244T for over a year). Oh, and don't you dare take the 50 extra candelas per meter² into account. First thing you'll be doing when/if you get a 2407WFP is turning down the brightness.
Closed Thread Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page