LCD or Plasma? Plasma or LCD? and why those Black Bars? Discuss it here only Please - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 1448 Old 12-18-2006, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottgriz View Post

One more factor that has me leaning toward the LCD is the power consumption. More than double (nearly triple) on the plasma. Over the life of the TV, the cost differential in the LCD would be paid for.

325w on the 37in Plasma

vs.

126w on the 32in LCD

Now I know there is a size difference here, but nearly 3x the power?
Do some quick calculations and you will find that over the life of the TV, the LCD wins out for price if you take power into consideration. If only Panny had a 37" or 42" LCD.

Depends on size and make. My 50" Pioneer PDP (507XA) uses 345W, a Sony 52" (can't remember the model) LCD uses 315W

And the PDP power draw is directly proportional to the brightness of the movie/images you're watching. The LCD backlighting will be on max all the time (unless in dynamic mode, but who in their right mind uses that ?)

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1448 Old 12-18-2006, 09:06 AM

I to am trying to decide....Plasma or LCD.I love to read while watching TV.Especially sporting events.....so I have to have a light on in the room.With a table light on,someone in the room can see the reflection on the screen.After visiting the local BB and seeing the various TVs.It was very noticable that the Plasmas reflected room lights whereas the LCDs did not.
post #33 of 1448 Old 12-18-2006, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunnoft View Post

I'm on the fence, too. I know my good brother Instantpop just switched over from a large screen LCD to a plasma. I'm loving everything about the plasma except that the burn in risk. I'm looking for a 40-45" TV that will be used about 80% of the time for gaming and about 19% of the time for HD-DVDs and Blu Ray and about 1% for SD satellite. I may opt for an HD Tivo soon, so that figure could change, but this TV will mostly be used for gaming.

I've currently got a 40XBR2 and the PQ is great - except for a clouding/backlight/mura effect that seems to be plaguing these TVs. The result? Clouding in dark areas of the screen (i.e. scenes in space, etc.).

I'm considering the Pioneer PDP-4271HD but I don't know how it might stand up to the large percentage of gaming I'd like to do. Sometimes I get lost in games for over four hours, so that's a consideration.

So, unlike an LCD, would I always have to baby a plasma? Would the amount of gaming and the time spent gaming at a single clip even be an issue beyond the 100 hour break in period for a plasma? Anybody here been using a plasma for gaming with an Xbox 360, PS3 for any real length of time? (Sorry, Instantpop, but I know you're currently in that break in period) I just don't want to wind up with a $2500.00 paperweight and I don't want to have unrealistic expectations for this TV if I buy it.

THANKS!

I have had a 42px50u panny plasma for almost 2 years. It has been used for gaming 90% of the time. And a few times i have even forgoten to turn the tv off over night on a paused screen. I have had some image retention but nothing that is Burned in forever. The IR if any will go away in 5 mins or so watching another source. I played uno a few times when i got the vision camara for close to 5-6 hours in the same room and nothing was retained. I have even played FFXI for 18+ hour binges on the 360 where my hp and mp are always displayed as well as the connection status. Again nothing has stay retained permentley.

I recently bought a 40xbr2 as well that was plauged with the clouding issue so it is going back as any dark scene or anything with shadows you can see it. The tv i have narrowed it down to is the 5070 pioneer or its big brother the eilet.

When i first got it i followed a break in. what i did was put a non letter box dvd on repeat for 4 days straight changing the dvd for a different one each morning. the 5th day i let the tv sit off the entier day. 6th day i messed with the picture settings to get them to look good and i have not had a problem since.

Also anytime i walk away for a few mins or so i just turn the tv off and when i get back just turn it back on. Its a habbit i formed from owning this tv.

Also i watch a lot of WWE programs so the WWE logo is always on the tv and that has never had IR.
post #34 of 1448 Old 12-19-2006, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyre View Post

I have had a 42px50u panny plasma for almost 2 years. It has been used for gaming 90% of the time. And a few times i have even forgoten to turn the tv off over night on a paused screen. I have had some image retention but nothing that is Burned in forever. The IR if any will go away in 5 mins or so watching another source. I played uno a few times when i got the vision camara for close to 5-6 hours in the same room and nothing was retained. I have even played FFXI for 18+ hour binges on the 360 where my hp and mp are always displayed as well as the connection status. Again nothing has stay retained permentley.

I recently bought a 40xbr2 as well that was plauged with the clouding issue so it is going back as any dark scene or anything with shadows you can see it. The tv i have narrowed it down to is the 5070 pioneer or its big brother the eilet.

When i first got it i followed a break in. what i did was put a non letter box dvd on repeat for 4 days straight changing the dvd for a different one each morning. the 5th day i let the tv sit off the entier day. 6th day i messed with the picture settings to get them to look good and i have not had a problem since.

Also anytime i walk away for a few mins or so i just turn the tv off and when i get back just turn it back on. Its a habbit i formed from owning this tv.

Also i watch a lot of WWE programs so the WWE logo is always on the tv and that has never had IR.

well that is definitely good to know. I've read all kinds of info off this site, and I think with proper break-in a plasma will be fine for gaming. I just can't settle for an LCD with less PQ just to avoid burn in... down the line I think I'll get the Panasonic TH-42PX60U and just break it in with a dvd for 4-5 days.

thanks for the info....
post #35 of 1448 Old 12-19-2006, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbigjonstud View Post

well that is definitely good to know. I've read all kinds of info off this site, and I think with proper break-in a plasma will be fine for gaming. I just can't settle for an LCD with less PQ just to avoid burn in... down the line I think I'll get the Panasonic TH-42PX60U and just break it in with a dvd for 4-5 days.

thanks for the info....

Just to add a bit more comfort to your decision, I'm no expert or anything but I do work and Sears and we leave our plasmas running all damn day and none of ours have burn-in, not even the cheapos. We have a few sports fans too so the ESPN logo is steadily in the bottom right corner of the screen.

I was very nervous before making my purchase (I swapped a couple TVs back and forth actually), but I'm so happy I went with the plasma. That's not a knock on LCD's, I'm just a plasma person.

Anyways, before making my final decision, I put one of our 42 inch Panasonics to the test. I left the Chicken Little opening menu on the screen for hours (5+). Obviously it had some image retention, but the set is perfectly fine and there was no damage done. I then ran Hero through twice with the black bars and once again, it had retention that faded quickly.

I'm confident, even as a gamer, that I won't have any issues with my Panasonic plasma and I am extremely happy with the PQ.
post #36 of 1448 Old 12-19-2006, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geemrio View Post

Just to add a bit more comfort to your decision, I'm no expert or anything but I do work and Sears and we leave our plasmas running all damn day and none of ours have burn-in, not even the cheapos. We have a few sports fans too so the ESPN logo is steadily in the bottom right corner of the screen.

I was very nervous before making my purchase (I swapped a couple TVs back and forth actually), but I'm so happy I went with the plasma. That's not a knock on LCD's, I'm just a plasma person.

Anyways, before making my final decision, I put one of our 42 inch Panasonics to the test. I left the Chicken Little opening menu on the screen for hours (5+). Obviously it had some image retention, but the set is perfectly fine and there was no damage done. I then ran Hero through twice with the black bars and once again, it had retention that faded quickly.

I'm confident, even as a gamer, that I won't have any issues with my Panasonic plasma and I am extremely happy with the PQ.

does anybody know if the 42 inch panasonic plasma's have game mode on them? I ask that because I just bought the 40 inch lcd sony kdl-2500 and i'm a little disappointed that the response time is not up to par with what I had in mine,especially when watching basketball and football. Also when playing nba 2k7 there is a lag when I pass the ball.

thanks!
post #37 of 1448 Old 12-19-2006, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniedarko2k6 View Post

does anybody know if the 42 inch panasonic plasma's have game mode on them? I ask that because I just bought the 40 inch lcd sony kdl-2500 and i'm a little disappointed that the response time is not up to par with what I had in mine,especially when watching basketball and football. Also when playing nba 2k7 there is a lag when I pass the ball.

thanks!

There's not a game mode, but for my first 100 hours I did what everyone recommended and turned most everything (except for sharpness) down to 0. Apparently the sets have a break-in period. I have gamed on it though, but within reason during this break-in time. Beyond that I plan to game on it like I would any either TV.

Earlier I played Zelda for an hour or so, which did leave some retention. It disappeard very, very quick. Maybe 5 minutes max and it was so light I had to turn out the lights and put it on an all black background to see it.

As far as response time goes, the plasma's are king. I just traded in my LCD (Sony KDL-40S2010 for the 42 Panasonic because it handles faster motion better and the blacks are so much deeper, which gives it a definite wow factor I couldn't find with the LCD. Because of this, the LCD just couldn't handle Gears like the Plasma can.

Anyways, I definitely think, even as a gamer, the Panasonic plasma is an awesome TV and a sound decision. I don't regret for a minute exchanging for it. I would just be a little bit cautious in that first 100 hour, then don't worry about it much.

I just leave on Discovery HD all day to help pass the time (I would rather not use the break-in DVD), and as soon as I break that milestone, I'll bump up the brightness just slightly (out of the box it's way too bright) and game away.

It's worth noting that I find it better for gaming, HD content (specifically sports) and SD content.

I've said this again and I'll say it again. I'm not knocking LCD technology, but I love my new plasma and just wasn't happy with my Sony LCD. To me, HD content just doesn't get better than what my plasma offers and I'm completely happy with my purchase.
post #38 of 1448 Old 12-19-2006, 06:56 PM

Quote:

There's not a game mode, but for my first 100 hours I did what everyone recommended and turned most everything (except for sharpness) down to 0. Apparently the sets have a break-in period. I have gamed on it though, but within reason during this break-in time. Beyond that I plan to game on it like I would any either TV.

Earlier I played Zelda for an hour or so, which did leave some retention. It disappeard very, very quick. Maybe 5 minutes max and it was so light I had to turn out the lights and put it on an all black background to see it.

As far as response time goes, the plasma's are king. I just traded in my LCD (Sony KDL-40S2010 for the 42 Panasonic because it handles faster motion better and the blacks are so much deeper, which gives it a definite wow factor I couldn't find with the LCD. Because of this, the LCD just couldn't handle Gears like the Plasma can.

Anyways, I definitely think, even as a gamer, the Panasonic plasma is an awesome TV and a sound decision. I don't regret for a minute exchanging for it. I would just be a little bit cautious in that first 100 hour, then don't worry about it much.

I just leave on Discovery HD all day to help pass the time (I would rather not use the break-in DVD), and as soon as I break that milestone, I'll bump up the brightness just slightly (out of the box it's way too bright) and game away.

It's worth noting that I find it better for gaming, HD content (specifically sports) and SD content.

I've said this again and I'll say it again. I'm not knocking LCD technology, but I love my new plasma and just wasn't happy with my Sony LCD. To me, HD content just doesn't get better than what my plasma offers and I'm completely happy with my purchase.

thanks for the reply, I will be definitely be trading in my 40in sony kdl-v2500 for the panasonic plasma. I'm glad to hear that the response time is better on the plasma then the lcd's. By the way which 42in plasma do you have Geemrio?
post #39 of 1448 Old 12-19-2006, 07:25 PM

Quote:

thanks for the reply, I will be definitely be trading in my 40in sony kdl-v2500 for the panasonic plasma. I'm glad to hear that the response time is better on the plasma then the lcd's. By the way which 42in plasma do you have Geemrio?

No problem. I have the Panasonic TH-42PX60U.
post #40 of 1448 Old 12-19-2006, 07:36 PM

Quote:

No problem. I have the Panasonic TH-42PX60U.

I've heard great reviews on that particular Panasonic plasma. I will most definitely buy it because of the fact that the response time is great on sports, movies, and video games?

one more question Geemrio have you ever seen a blur or lag on the Panasonic TH-42PX60U?

thanks!
post #41 of 1448 Old 12-19-2006, 07:50 PM

Quote:

I've heard great reviews on that particular Panasonic plasma. I will most definitely buy it because of the fact that the response time is great on sports, movies, and video games?

one more question Geemrio have you ever seen a blur or lag on the Panasonic TH-42PX60U?

thanks!

Nope, not that I can see anyways. That was one major reason (well, the biggest was the black level) that I took it back. In fast action sports, like football and hockey, I noticed a bit more blur and artifacts in the LCD in comparison to the Plasma.

Basically every technology seems to have its flaws and I would just recommend going with the one that best fits you and just flat out looks the best. After doing tons of research on burn in (outside of AVS, too), it seems that the issue is hardly a real issue anymore beyond the 100 hour break-in. I know the main Nintendo editor at IGN is a huge plasma supporter (has multiple plasmas) and games on them all the time, making multiple blogs bragging about his sets. CNET and other sources say similar things.

I write for a gaming site and the main editor there has been gaming (and believe, me, he is a huge gamer) on his for more than 3 years now.

For me, the main thing the LCD had on the Plasma was the lack of glare. After coming to the realization I really only watch TV and play games at night, I decided it wouldn't be a problem and haven't looked back.

Just a word of advice, don't freak if you see IR, you're going to get it. But you won't notice it if an image is on the screen, so basically you have to have an all black background and you can see the outline. It's also gone in a matter of a few minutes.

In the end, I just couldnt resist the PQ of the Plasma. If, for some odd reason, it does burn in, I'll pretty much swear of the technology altogether. I'm confident that will never happen though, and I am a new found Plasma fan.
post #42 of 1448 Old 12-19-2006, 08:18 PM

Quote:

Nope, not that I can see anyways. That was one major reason (well, the biggest was the black level) that I took it back. In fast action sports, like football and hockey, I noticed a bit more blur and artifacts in the LCD in comparison to the Plasma.

Basically every technology seems to have its flaws and I would just recommend going with the one that best fits you and just flat out looks the best. After doing tons of research on burn in (outside of AVS, too), it seems that the issue is hardly a real issue anymore beyond the 100 hour break-in. I know the main Nintendo editor at IGN is a huge plasma supporter (has multiple plasmas) and games on them all the time, making multiple blogs bragging about his sets. CNET and other sources say similar things.

I write for a gaming site and the main editor there has been gaming (and believe, me, he is a huge gamer) on his for more than 3 years now.

For me, the main thing the LCD had on the Plasma was the lack of glare. After coming to the realization I really only watch TV and play games at night, I decided it wouldn't be a problem and haven't looked back.

Just a word of advice, don't freak if you see IR, you're going to get it. But you won't notice it if an image is on the screen, so basically you have to have an all black background and you can see the outline. It's also gone in a matter of a few minutes.

In the end, I just couldnt resist the PQ of the Plasma. If, for some odd reason, it does burn in, I'll pretty much swear of the technology altogether. I'm confident that will never happen though, and I am a new found Plasma fan.

Thanks Geemrio you made my decision alot easier.
post #43 of 1448 Old 12-19-2006, 08:28 PM

Quote:

Thanks Geemrio you made my decision alot easier.

No problem, glad I could help.

P.S. Check your pm box for a little tip.
post #44 of 1448 Old 12-19-2006, 09:48 PM

I sat on the fence for what felt like an eternity...LCD vs. Plasma vs. DLP like many of the posters on this thread. Since this forum helped me so much with my decision I feel it's my turn to give a little back.

My only concern about plasma was IR and I let it drive me insane prior to purchase. Since we have a 3 year old and my wife doesn't get all wrapped around the axle on the little things in life, I was certain I would someday notice some nasty IR image of Thomas the Train DVD menu in my new TV. While I don't play games on my TV (I'm a PC gamer) and I have only had it a few weeks, I would like to offer a bit of advice that may help some of you.

I am the kind of guy that will research technology purchases looking for that magic morsel that will push me over the edge. Of course that doesn't exist so I typically go without or regret my purchases because of the impending new technology always on the horizon. We have a room that has an entire wall of windows 90 degrees to the TV, an off axis seating problem, and the seating distance is minimum 7ft in this room. A quick look at this list and you can see the need for the best of both LCD and Plasma. In the end we went with Plasma because it was the best combination of performance for the dollar and most attractive picture. I have no regrets in spite of ongoing concerns that I will someday find that Thomas the Train menu IR in my screen. I have come to realize that it just isn't reasonable to expect any new TV purchase to last as long as my last CRT did considering the velocity of innovation with displays. Life is short. Get what looks good to you and enjoy it!
post #45 of 1448 Old 12-20-2006, 04:30 AM

Don't see many questions related to the "black bars" part of this topic, so I'll ask one. I'm not even sure if this qualifies, but I definitely have black bars and am just curious why.

I bought an upconverting dvd player and have it set to HDMI output at 1080i. When I hit info on my new lcd (samsung 37" lcd 1080i), it says the signal is 1080i when playing a dvd or watching dish, but I still see the black bars on top and bottom when watching the dvd. I assumed (probably incorrectly) that the upconverted signal would fill my widescreen lcd. My SD dish signal looks pretty good through the HDMI cable and fills the whole screen. I have the tv set to 16:9 size and there is no zoom available when using the HDMI input, only 16:9 and 4:3.

I guess my question is, when will I ever get to use the entire widescreen picture w/ widescreen DVD's & will HD use the entire screen? We are upgrading to HD cable today. Will true HD channels (abc, tnt, etc) use the entire lcd? I feel kind of cheated in that I never get to use the whole screen unless I am watching SD and then it is kind of distorted (understanably) & not the best picture.
post #46 of 1448 Old 12-20-2006, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by area123 View Post

Don't see many questions related to the "black bars" part of this topic, so I'll ask one. I'm not even sure if this qualifies, but I definitely have black bars and am just curious why.

I bought an upconverting dvd player and have it set to HDMI output at 1080i. When I hit info on my new lcd (samsung 37" lcd 1080i), it says the signal is 1080i when playing a dvd or watching dish, but I still see the black bars on top and bottom when watching the dvd. I assumed (probably incorrectly) that the upconverted signal would fill my widescreen lcd. My SD dish signal looks pretty good through the HDMI cable and fills the whole screen. I have the tv set to 16:9 size and there is no zoom available when using the HDMI input, only 16:9 and 4:3.

I guess my question is, when will I ever get to use the entire widescreen picture w/ widescreen DVD's & will HD use the entire screen? We are upgrading to HD cable today. Will true HD channels (abc, tnt, etc) use the entire lcd? I feel kind of cheated in that I never get to use the whole screen unless I am watching SD and then it is kind of distorted (understanably) & not the best picture.

I'm gonna take a stab at this... Look for a setting on your DVD player for the aspect (or viewing) ratio and set it to 16:9. Also, some movies are actually "wider" than others so even at 16:9 there may still be some smaller black bars along the top and bottom... (how'd I do?)
post #47 of 1448 Old 12-20-2006, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by largtr View Post

I'm gonna take a stab at this... Look for a setting on your DVD player for the aspect (or viewing) ratio and set it to 16:9. Also, some movies are actually "wider" than others so even at 16:9 there may still be some smaller black bars along the top and bottom... (how'd I do?)

Good tip, I'll check it out later when I get home. I didn't see anything on the dvd player settings for picture size, just the resolution that you can set to 480i, 480p,780p or 1080i. It is a new LG upconvert dvd recorder. But it won't hurt to check.
post #48 of 1448 Old 12-20-2006, 08:28 AM

Quote:

It all depends on what aspect ratio the movie you are watching was filmed in. True 16:9 is something like 1.78:1 or 1:85:1. Check the case of the movie you are watching to find out what your flick is at. Some are filmed wider (2:35 to 1) which will put black bars on your screen. Unfortunately, there is no industry standard for aspect ratio on a film. It's whatever the director wants.
post #49 of 1448 Old 12-20-2006, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musky-Hunter View Post

...in spite of ongoing concerns that I will someday find that Thomas the Train menu IR in my screen.

We're on the same boat -though I still haven't got my plasma, but at least I am dead set on the model, the Vizio 50" at Costco.

Image retention is a bit over rated, IMHO. Sure, if you leave CNN on for days on end, whilst your contrast and brightness are at factory settings "full blast", you might get IR.
But just be sensible, dial down the settings and just enjoy your set. I firmly believe that with common sense care, plasmas (and LCDs alike) can easily last 7-10 years -if not more.

Bottom line: just enjoy it!
post #50 of 1448 Old 12-20-2006, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantpop View Post

It all depends on what aspect ratio the movie you are watching was filmed in. True 16:9 is something like 1.78:1 or 1:85:1. Check the case of the movie you are watching to find out what your flick is at. Some are filmed wider (2:35 to 1) which will put black bars on your screen. Unfortunately, there is no industry standard for aspect ratio on a film. It's whatever the director wants.

Ok, that makes sense to me, I'm new to all this. Thanks.

What will most HD broadcasts be? And, is there normally a setting on a tv to stretch or get rid of the black bars while using HDMI?
post #51 of 1448 Old 12-20-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:

What will most HD broadcasts be? And, is there normally a setting on a tv to stretch or get rid of the black bars while using HDMI?

Most HD broadcasts are in a 16:9 format. That's what everything I have watched is in anyway. I have a Pioneer 5070/1 hooked up to a Motorola cable box from Comcast via HDMI and the screen size on my tv sets itself to fill the screen at all times. So HD will always use the display setting of "Full" and SD will always stretch to "Wide." I'm not entirely sure if it's because I'm using an HDMI cable or if the cable box is set a certain way. It just works.
post #52 of 1448 Old 12-20-2006, 11:50 AM

Quote:

What will most HD broadcasts be?

area123, I'm currently waiting for my on-order HD panel to be followed by HD satelite service, but based on my research so far, here's what I've learned:

Genuine HD content will be 16:9 and will fill your display with no black bars (primetime shows on the big networks HD channels, sporting events shot in HD, and lots of Dicovery Channel HD stuff, for instance). Some HD content will be repackaged SD and will not naturally fill your screen. I have even seen shows on an HD channel where there is a 4:3 picture being carried with vertical black bars on the sides, but the titles on the screen, "score tickers", and other stuff overlay the full 16:9 area. The specific example I'm thinking of was a sports interview show I saw on an HD sports channel. I don't know how common this is.

I have a buddy with Starchoice, a Canadian satelite service, and he says his HD movie channels show a mix of formats - some movies are 16:9 and fill the screen, and some are shown in the theatre format with the black bars top and bottom.

john a
post #53 of 1448 Old 12-20-2006, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Depends on size and make. My 50" Pioneer PDP (507XA) uses 345W, a Sony 52" (can't remember the model) LCD uses 315W

No it doesn't, the consumer 52" Sonys draw a max of under 230 watts. - DR
post #54 of 1448 Old 12-20-2006, 04:17 PM

I recently bought a Panasonic THPX60U. I also was concerned with burn in (as I play lots of PC and console games) as well as the lower native resolution. However after bringing the TV home I am quite satisfied with my purchase. I have Analog SD channels ONLY (looking into HD but cant afford it just yet) but still it looks great on this TV. Probably cause its native resolution is fairly low. My guess is that with an LCD that has higher resolution this wont be the case. One thing of note though, I run the analog cable through my VCR (yes VRC, did I mention Analog) then use component (Video, L & R audio) to the TV, this reduces huge amount of snow on the picture as opposed to when I just plug the Analog cable to the TV.

As for gaming, I probably play games 60% of the time on this TV. Both xbox and PC pushed via DVI to HDMI adapter onto the TV. (note only certain PC screen resolutions will work this way, basically anything with 720 or 1080). I have not seen any instances of burn in. Yes TV is brand new so I didnt even break it in for 100 hours or whatever. But I did turn down the brightness and resolutions.

Now I know this TV is sort of stuck in between a normal TV and true HD meaning probably in 5 years time when we live in a 1080P universe then this TV will be old tech. But for now and if that day never comes, I will love and enjoy this tv.

Dont sweat over the details of what might come, we may die next week so enjoy it for now and come 5 years later when new tech is out then buy that too and enjoy.

I will also add, I dont like watching tv in the dark so I do have some interior lights on in the room however it really doesnt detract from the picture and my enjoyment. Just make sure the light is set up to be as out of "line of sight" as possible.

Just wanted to put back to the community that helped me so much in deciding my purchase. If anyone has some pre purchase questions about LCD v Plasma feel free to PM me.

Enjoy
post #55 of 1448 Old 12-20-2006, 05:08 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I'm in window-shopping mode, just saving up (or trying to) and looking for something bigger for my bedroom. I honestly don't have a preference either way, really--I've seen nice LCD sets and nice plasma sets, perhaps a slight percentage edge to the former--but I definitely don't care about 1080p. It's still buzzword-level for me. Probably won't help at a viewing distance of 11' anyway, so 1080i is fine and dandy. I just want something nice (I doubt I'll find anything as razor-sharp as the Toshiba 34HF82 in there now, but I'll settle for close) and a little bigger...something that'll behave nicely with SD material and yet make me go "Damn!" when I fire up the HD DVD player...something I can hook a PS2 or Wii up to in a pinch and have it not suck...

Okay, hell, what I really want is for some yuppie CFO who changes electronics like I change socks to just drop off their cast-off 42" set on my front doorstep. I'm not proud.

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #56 of 1448 Old 12-20-2006, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

One person's desire to 'get rid' of black bars is countered by another's appreciation of the channel for broadcastning the OAR (Original Aspect Ratio) version of something the way it was MEANT to be seen.

OAR or death

Seriously, though - we on AVS don't recommend Bose products because they mess up frequency ranges and mutate sound until it no longer sounds the way it was when recorded. Why, then, should anyone be willing to accept (or even worse - FORCE by switching the modes) anything but the OAR?

I'd say 'just IMHO', but that isn't the case. Don't sweat the black bar stuff. Avoid channels like TNT-HD, unless you enjoy their craptastic glorious stretcho-pano-vision butchered aspect ratio retransmissions with crawling ads all over the place

*ashu*
post #57 of 1448 Old 12-21-2006, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by instantpop View Post

Most HD broadcasts are in a 16:9 format. That's what everything I have watched is in anyway. I have a Pioneer 5070/1 hooked up to a Motorola cable box from Comcast via HDMI and the screen size on my tv sets itself to fill the screen at all times. So HD will always use the display setting of "Full" and SD will always stretch to "Wide." I'm not entirely sure if it's because I'm using an HDMI cable or if the cable box is set a certain way. It just works.

I might have the same Motorola box from CableOne. It is a DTS something I think but I'll look to make sure. It is their only dual tuner HD DVR, only holds 10-20 hours of HD I think.

I am definitely interested in how your box is set up to fill the screen all the time. I would prefer this but my tv has no such setting that I can find. And the box doesn't appear to be that customizable, but I'm still learning.
post #58 of 1448 Old 12-21-2006, 07:22 AM

LCD is the way to go. I have a SHARP Aquos 52" LCD and the picture is great.
Black is black.
Less power.
Play any game with no worries.
Watch any show with no worries.
Can watch in any bright room with no reflections in the screen.
Connect to computer no burn ins.
Longer life.
Easy maintanence.

Need any more reasons why anyone should go with LCD?
post #59 of 1448 Old 12-21-2006, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdrgn View Post

LCD is the way to go. I have a SHARP Aquos 52" LCD and the picture is great.
Black is black.
Less power.
Play any game with no worries.
Watch any show with no worries.
Can watch in any bright room with no reflections in the screen.
Connect to computer no burn ins.
Longer life.
Easy maintanence.

Need any more reasons why anyone should go with LCD?

Nope. I have a plasma and do all those things anyway.
post #60 of 1448 Old 12-21-2006, 08:29 AM

I don´t know LCD or Plasma, to me the lcd´s have more advantages but probably the plasma TV- picture is better ??
My wife wants a tv now, but i wanna have a big one

I am between the "Sony 46v2000" LCD

and the "Philps 50PF9631D" Plasma

the Philps is a little bit more expensive, both are well designed, whats important for my wife and the Philips has the bigger screen what is important to me. But plasmas have many disadvantages. I don´t play games and only watch tv over digital satalite.
Well its a hard decission for the next years and i have no plan

sorry, for my bad english
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page