LCD or Plasma? Plasma or LCD? and why those Black Bars? Discuss it here only Please - Page 37 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1081 of 1448 Old 04-26-2010, 07:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an older Denon 2200 DVD player that can switch video output between NTSC and PAL. It is connected via component cables to my Panasonic 58" PX600U plasma display. I tried to play a PAL version of the Genesis 2007 Tour DVD and I switched the video output on the DVD player to PAL but I was not able to get a video display although I did hear audio through my AVR (Denon AVR 2800). I'm no expert on video displays so my question is- is this plasma able to display PAL video format or only NTSC? I always thought that the video conversion depended on the source component player and not the display. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 1448 Old 04-26-2010, 08:16 PM

The last 2 months has been one frustration after another. I am also torn between the LED/Plasma. Each and every time I am certain I know the next tv for me...I get submarined by an issue.

I would love to buy the 54vt25 it would be well within budget and initially it has what have been described as phenomenal colors and black levels (the rise of the blacks however concerns me...if they would just say it wouldn't rise for 4-5 years I would buy it tomorrow)

I also love the LG 9500...but it is not out and so no reviews are available (not that that may not be a good thing since most of the problems I have are because I read reviews LOL)

Finally, the samsung 8000 likely PN version is very appealing with its black filter. But, I don't particularly want to listen to the BUZZZZZZ.

Just a rant, thanks for reading...I don't think I am alone in this frustrating process.
post #1083 of 1448 Old 04-26-2010, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
^ Don't get caught up in the minutia, the perfect display does NOT exist. Just buy what seems the best for you, you will be happy with it.

The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out.
post #1084 of 1448 Old 04-27-2010, 09:34 AM

That is what I am trying to do...get out of the small details and find a screen that I really like. I am now leaning to the Panny VT25 again (if it gives 3 years of very good picture I will really enjoy it). Unless the LG 9500 blows the VT away, I just don't think I can justify the extra $1300 for that model when my vision is not good enough to really tell the difference.

Any thoughts or opinions on my newest revelation?
post #1085 of 1448 Old 04-27-2010, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munga7 View Post

I have an older Denon 2200 DVD player that can switch video output between NTSC and PAL. It is connected via component cables to my Panasonic 58" PX600U plasma display. I tried to play a PAL version of the Genesis 2007 Tour DVD and I switched the video output on the DVD player to PAL but I was not able to get a video display although I did hear audio through my AVR (Denon AVR 2800). I'm no expert on video displays so my question is- is this plasma able to display PAL video format or only NTSC? I always thought that the video conversion depended on the source component player and not the display. Any help would be appreciated.

Munga

Not sure about that. I had always thought that NTSC and PAL were inompatible. There are major differences between the two.

I believe you would have to have a display that could change its refresh rate as well as a PAL decoder. I don't know if anyone makes such a unit. Also not sure if you would need a special power converter since US is 60hz and Europe is 50hz.

David Freeman
post #1086 of 1448 Old 04-28-2010, 04:39 AM

Hi guys. I'm a long-term lurker on the site, but I'm looking to buy a new HDTV and would really appreciate some advice.

For the past two years I have been using a 40" Sony X3000 (equivalent to a US XBR3 I believe), but it has recently developed a fault where there is a one-pixel wide blue line running from the top to the bottom of the screen.

Thanks to the excellent UK consumer laws, you essentially have recourse with the retailer for up to six years when something goes wrong (it's of course more complicated than that, but I won't go into it), so I will likely get a refund or an exchange and get a new TV.

My TV is used mostly for HD gaming (PS3 and 360, although I would like to plug my Wii in via component too) and for Blu-rays (and the occasional upscaled DVD) via my Panasonic BD-80. Ideally I would like a TV that can upscale 480p and 720p really well.

My budget is going to be £1,500 (around $2,250) and I am leaning towards a 50" plasma, which in the absence of 9G Kuros, would be a Panasonic G20, as I have been very impressed by my friend's V10 (reviews I have read suggest the G20 is better). I have no desire for 3D, so a very good 2D plasma or LCD is ideal for me.

Is my leaning towards the Panasonic a good leaning and what would the learned forumites suggest?

I apologise for such a noobish question, but I couldn't think of a better place to ask -- many thanks in advance.
post #1087 of 1448 Old 04-29-2010, 09:52 AM

Liked: 34
LCD or Plasma?? ..Well, I just returned our Samsung LCD and bought a Samsung Plasma.

3wks ago I bought a UN55b7100 (55" LED) at Best Buy (pd. $2100). ..I loved the picture at first but after watching Tudors and Princess of Narnia I was so frustrated by the light coming from the corners and a white-ish cloud at the top of the screen I decided to take it back. ..I had learned here that this was not so much a defect with my unit as much as it was an inherent limitation with side-lit LED tv's. ..So Back it went. ..I now have a Samsung Plasma PN58B860. ..I paid an extra $200 in the exchange. To me, the LED had a ever so slightly sharper image - though I must say it was probably a bit unrealistic looking at times because it was almost too sharp - but the plasma picture is much more even across the screen without ANY flash-lighting or clouding.

The PN58B860 was mfg. in 2/2010 and does not exhibit any of the buzzing I've been hearing about. ..To hear any hum I need to have my ear within 2" of the set and then it's only barely audible. ..No way anyone could find this objectionable so perhaps this issue has been fixed, is intermittent, or will get worse with time (hope not!)

As an aside the PN58B860 seems a bit more solidly constructed than the 55" LED set. ..Though this could be because the glass screen gives it a bit more rigidity.

And both have mediocre speakers - not surprising given the shallow depth of the chasis.. They're fine for watching the news but when we watch any movies, etc.. we play the audio through a 2-ch. amplifier (I'm not a big fan of 5.1+).
post #1088 of 1448 Old 04-29-2010, 11:33 AM

Liked: 11
Chad I'd say the G20 is an excellent choice. I personally own a Samsung plasma and am happy with it but I'm too cheap to spend the extra $800 to get a G20.

Syd, what seems to be coming out from so many Plasma owners is that they look more realistic, less processed, more like a large CRT would look like. That's what I've found when comparing to an LCD, of which I own as well as a plasma.

Yes, the built in speakers completely suck!
As for your 2 channel comment I too love 2 channel audio and always use it for serious music listening and even go so far as switch the front speakers from the surround amp to a good ol 2 channel power amp. But for movies, I quite like surround, with the sub going. For me it adds quite a bit to the movie experience and 2 channel wouldnt be quite as fun for me. Maybe you need to experiment a bit with your surround setup.
post #1089 of 1448 Old 05-02-2010, 12:46 AM

^^ Thanks, that seems like the one I'm going to go for then. Part of me laments that I didn't just cough up the extra and buy a 9G Kuro two years ago, but what's done is done.

All I need to do now is thrash it out with the retailer who I bought my Sony from.
post #1090 of 1448 Old 05-04-2010, 02:34 PM

I am looking to get my first HD TV. I have been using a CRT 36" Toshiba 36A50 that died a couple of days ago. Since then I have been trying to educate myself on Plasma\\LCD technology. I am looking to get something in the 50"~60" size range and my budget is $2500. I just purchased a Sony 460 player with networking and I have a Home Theater setup so I don't need internet access in the HDTV or sound - it will just be used as a display (a quiet one hopefully).

It will be in our family room in a custom built entertainment center. The room is fairly large (30+') and flows into our galley style kitchen and fairly bright with one side comprised of windows with white shutters. There will be no direct sunlight on the screen - but at night, the kitchen light will usually be on (opposite side of the room) and cause some glare on the screen (This is my biggest problem with a glossy screen). It will be used as a regular tv, and for the most part used with SD programming via the satellite for 12~16 hours/day.

With the Sony Blu-Ray, I will be upconverting our existing DVD's, using new Blu-Ray's and watching Internet content via a HDMI 1.3 connection.

The room has a couple of straight on chairs but I also have a love seat on one side (30 degree angle) and a chair on the other side (45 degree angle), so side angle viewing is important. Normal viewing distance will be 10' or more.

In stores, the LCD displays (especially the 240hz LED full backlit) look sharper and brighter than any thing else and one or two seemed to have a very good sideangle view. Of course the Plasmas have excellent side angle viewing, but the picture and black levels didn't seem to be as good as the top end LCD's. Having said that, since I am coming from a 36" CRT, I am sure that I would be perfectly happy with a Plasma.

My criteria are, in this order:

Longevity - we will be putting a lot of hours on it
picture quality
sideangle view - will be viewed from a 10-20 degree angle most of the time
glare - I realize a flat glossy surface will glare less than the rounded CRT but a flat matte surface would glare even less.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. If there are any review sites that are considered "unbiased" or vendor agnostic, please let me know. I am a consumer reports member but they don't generally have reviews of the latest and greatest and their selection is somewhat limited. It seems that the majority of the "experts" here consider the Plasma to have the better pictiure and that is OK. I just wonder if their "longevity" is a critical factor.

Thanks!
post #1091 of 1448 Old 05-04-2010, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_dx View Post

I am looking to get my first HD TV. I have been using a CRT 36" Toshiba 36A50 that died a couple of days ago. Since then I have been trying to educate myself on Plasma\\LCD technology. I am looking to get something in the 50"~60" size range and my budget is $2500. I just purchased a Sony 460 player with networking and I have a Home Theater setup so I don't need internet access in the HDTV or sound - it will just be used as a display (a quiet one hopefully).

If only I had that much to spend when I bought my HDTV.

Quote:

It will be in our family room in a custom built entertainment center. The room is fairly large (30+') and flows into our galley style kitchen and fairly bright with one side comprised of windows with white shutters. There will be no direct sunlight on the screen - but at night, the kitchen light will usually be on (opposite side of the room) and cause some glare on the screen (This is my biggest problem with a glossy screen). It will be used as a regular tv, and for the most part used with SD programming via the satellite for 12~16 hours/day.

Glare is my most hated enemy. Thus I purchased an LCD with a matte screen. Its about a billion times better than a glossy screened CRT!

Most Plasmas have glossy screens though they've made a lot of progress with the anti-glare coatings. Keep that in mind when you go shopping. Also, a lot of LCD manufacturers have started putting glossy screens on their LCD's as well because you get better perceived contrast with a glossy screen, so of course a lot of the current LCD's have glare issues.

Quote:

With the Sony Blu-Ray, I will be upconverting our existing DVD's, using new Blu-Ray's and watching Internet content via a HDMI 1.3 connection.

The room has a couple of straight on chairs but I also have a love seat on one side (30 degree angle) and a chair on the other side (45 degree angle), so side angle viewing is important. Normal viewing distance will be 10' or more.

viewing angles will be best with Plasma. That being said, LCD viewing angles aren't bad either. Don't let the naysayers put the fear of LCD viewing angles into you. View them yourself to see if you have an issue with them. They really have improved a lot over the last few years. I haven't seen an LCD with what I would consider a bad viewing angle in about 2 years (aside from my girlfriends Laptop...THAT has a horrible viewing angle)

Quote:

In stores, the LCD displays (especially the 240hz LED full backlit) look sharper and brighter than any thing else and one or two seemed to have a very good sideangle view. Of course the Plasmas have excellent side angle viewing, but the picture and black levels didn't seem to be as good as the top end LCD's. Having said that, since I am coming from a 36" CRT, I am sure that I would be perfectly happy with a Plasma.

The LCD displays are sharper and brighter than everything else. Thats their big advantage...brightness and clarity. Plasmas actually have better black levels than the vast majority of LCD sets with the possible exception of the best of the LED models (some of which actually match pretty closely with top quality plasma sets for blacks) but with plasma, as you turn the lights on their perceived black level drops, but with LCD its the opposite...when you turn the lights up their black level gets better! Thus under store lights, LCD's will appear to have better blacks than LCD, but that will not hold up once you get them home, and especially during evening viewing if you dim the lights. Local dimming LED sets and Plasma are comparable, but CCFL based LCD sets black levels will appear grey in the dark because of the backlight bleeding through. If you end up with a CCFL backlit LCD model, just make sure to turn your backlight down to a reasonable level which helps with the black levels considerably.

Quote:

shouldn't be an issue. Watching them 8 hours a day either technology will last you well over 10 years. (much closer to 15+ years actually)

Quote:

picture quality

With the amount of money you are prepared to spend, this is also not an issue. Any tv from any of the top manufactuers (Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic, LG etc) will have fantastic picture quality no matter the technology you choose. Even a CCFL based LCD (as opposed to the newer LED based LCD) at $2000+ will blow your socks off with its picture quality. A high priced LED or Plasma will satisfy garunteed.

Quote:

Plasma wins this contest, but at 10-20 degrees, LCD is just fine.

Quote:

glare - I realize a flat glossy surface will glare less than the rounded CRT but a flat matte surface would glare even less.

Matte screen LCD wins this hands down, but unfortunately fewer of those are being produced these days...especially with the upper end models.

Quote:

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. If there are any review sites that are considered "unbiased" or vendor agnostic, please let me know. I am a consumer reports member but they don't generally have reviews of the latest and greatest and their selection is somewhat limited. It seems that the majority of the "experts" here consider the Plasma to have the better pictiure and that is OK. I just wonder if their "longevity" is a critical factor.

Thanks!

C-net is a good site for HDTV reviews. They seem fairly unbiased there and they do eventually review all the top LCD's from most manufacturers. They even occasionally do "Shootouts" between various HDTV models and manufactuers which makes for interesting reading.

GOOD LUCK!

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #1092 of 1448 Old 05-11-2010, 03:57 PM

Thank you for your advice! I took the wife down to the store to get her "buy in" and we came away choosing the LG 55LH90. Outstanding color and picture, very good reviews, and it has everything that I need in a HDTV. It was the highest-end LCD with a matte screen that I could find in my budget. I have looked at the owner's thread and they seemed very pleased with the product overall.

Thanks again!
post #1093 of 1448 Old 05-12-2010, 07:59 AM

Liked: 13
Bought a new Panasonic TC-P54G20 Plasma. Stunning picture quality. Love it! Still waiting for Netflix which is scheduled to become available this Summer.

Everyone gave me crap for wanting the Plasma but I stuck with it. I think the picture quality of this TV is much more realistic looking and better than the LCD and LED's that I have seen, incredible black levels.
gus738 likes this.
post #1094 of 1448 Old 05-12-2010, 08:04 AM

Quote:

picture quality

Thanks!

We just moved into a newly built home that is just like what you are describing. I just bought a Panasonic Plasma TC-P54G20. The picture quality is excellent and the black levels very black. This TV does have a glossy screen, but it also has anti-glare. I have not looked closely to see it there is a lot of reflection, but I have also watched TV in all sorts of lighting situations from daylight, to no lighting, to kitchen lighting and have not noticed any glare. I love this TV!
post #1095 of 1448 Old 05-12-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMopy View Post

For me, the biggest issue with choosing Plasma over LCD is IR, and Burn-In.

This TV would be for the living room, and for the most part, during the week, my roommate will be watching it. He is a big media junkie. Not uncommon for him to watch as much as 4-5 hours straight of media coverage during a single day. For the record, just about every time, he will change the channel during a commercial, and switch back to another media channel. Following this, he will watch Young and the Restless, Local News, and about hour more of media coverage, before heading to work.

For me, this is perhaps the biggest concern. I have heard scrolling ticker can be a possible concern, and while I have people say that Plasma viewer should have variety habits, that is simply not a option.

During the weekend, not uncommon for my roommate to watch many as 2 or 3 movies in-a-row, and super majority of this viewing would be in SD. Also, during the weekend, between everyone in the house, not uncommon for the TV to be on from dawn until midnight, but what is viewed on TV usually differs, depending on who is watching.

For the record, with Plasma, I am fully aware you have to adjust brightness/contrast, and there is break-in period of 100-200 hours, or more, depending on who you ask. My concerned would be once the break-in period passes, how much I would have to worry about IR, and Burn-In?

Other Information to know:

We have using a CRT for the last 7 years, and IR and Burn-In has NEVER been a issue, and our basic viewing habits basically stayed the same during that time, more or less.

From what I have read, this is a problem of the past. I just bought a new Plasma and did not do break-in and immediately watched Breaking Bad with the AMC logo on the screen, no IR, no burn-in. Same when watching the Mariners with FSN logo. Most of the TV I have been watching has a logo, but I have not experienced any IR or burn-in.
post #1096 of 1448 Old 05-12-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by realgone View Post

We just moved into a newly built home that is just like what you are describing. I just bought a Panasonic Plasma TC-P54G20. The picture quality is excellent and the black levels very black. This TV does have a glossy screen, but it also has anti-glare. I have not looked closely to see it there is a lot of reflection, but I have also watched TV in all sorts of lighting situations from daylight, to no lighting, to kitchen lighting and have not noticed any glare. I love this TV!

I strongly considered the TC-P54G20 but the re-review of it on Cnet and looking at recent posts in the Panny G20 owners thread indicated that after about a year, the blacks are starting to lighten. That is why Cnet, which had placed it on their recommended list, changed their stance and now doesn't recommend it for that reason.

Plus, my wife and I really hate glare and even though the G20 has an anti-glare "coating", it still had considerably more glare (in the store) than the matte screen of the LG and Vizio LED LCD's.

I am glad that you love your Panny! I hope I will love my LG as much.
post #1097 of 1448 Old 05-29-2010, 06:19 AM

Looking for new tv. Last tv i bought was in 2005 it was a sony rearprojection lcd. My man cave is just about done downstairs. the tv viewing area is like 15x15 but the bsment continues to be open. the bar area would be off to the left so viewing angle will kinda play a part in this. there is a fullsize window but the sun is blocked in the morning by my deck and by noon its over the house. so not much light will be coming in.

like 2 spend around $2000 @ the most
i would like a tv around 58"
no 3d. do most new tvs have wifi? not a huge importance but would be nice.

so led or plasma? and any recomendations? is there problems w/ the panny blacks?

thanks
post #1098 of 1448 Old 05-29-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher42 View Post

Looking for new tv. Last tv i bought was in 2005 it was a sony rearprojection lcd. My man cave is just about done downstairs. the tv viewing area is like 15x15 but the bsment continues to be open. the bar area would be off to the left so viewing angle will kinda play a part in this. there is a fullsize window but the sun is blocked in the morning by my deck and by noon its over the house. so not much light will be coming in.

like 2 spend around $2000 @ the most
i would like a tv around 58"
no 3d. do most new tvs have wifi? not a huge importance but would be nice.

so led or plasma? and any recomendations? is there problems w/ the panny blacks?

thanks

I recently bought a Panasonic TC-P54G20 Plasma TV and I love it. I think find the picture in HD to be spectacular, standard def, not so much, but I think that is normal.

As far as black problems, I work at a Casino and we have had a Panasonic Plasma TV for at least two years there. It is ran on average from 10AM to 4-6AM (18-20 hours), every day, mostly standard def and the picture still looks great and the black levels look good to me. I am not sure of the model, but I do know that it was purchased at Costco.
gus738 likes this.
post #1099 of 1448 Old 05-29-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:

I strongly considered the TC-P54G20 but the re-review of it on Cnet and looking at recent posts in the Panny G20 owners thread indicated that after about a year, the blacks are starting to lighten. That is why Cnet, which had placed it on their recommended list, changed their stance and now doesn't recommend it for that reason.

Plus, my wife and I really hate glare and even though the G20 has an anti-glare "coating", it still had considerably more glare (in the store) than the matte screen of the LG and Vizio LED LCD's.

I am glad that you love your Panny! I hope I will love my LG as much.

I think you are talking about the last years Plasma TV's. Correct me if I am wrong, but the G-series Plasma's are said to have addressed this issue, and they have not been out a year for someone to complain about rising black levels, they have only been available for like 2 months.

This years Panny's have the new infinite black technology, that many believe came from Panny obtaining the Plasma division of Pioneer (Kuros).

As far as glare, I don't see much on my TV. If it is there when I am watching, it is not enough to notice. I am sitting in my dining room right now looking at the TV in the living room. We have three large windows in this great room area and there is very very little glare.
post #1100 of 1448 Old 05-29-2010, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I hope that means Absolute blacks(zero emission!). Absolute blacks is something that I really waiting for with plasmas. I dont understand what keeping panasonic from producing this "holy grail".
post #1101 of 1448 Old 05-29-2010, 07:01 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Can someone tell me how big the black bars (2.35.1 / 2.39.1 / 2.40.1) are on a 65" inch screen?

Is there some sort of percentage I can use to figure this out. For example, 2.35.1 fulls up the screen 75% and the black bars fill up the last 25%. Which would be 24 inches in height for a 65 inch screen.

I want to build a wooden frame and place this on my wall mount, so I can figure out how close I want to sit to my 65 inch. Thanks

EDIT: I think I found the answer. Height of a 2.35.1 should be around 25.5 inches high. (Not sure about 2.39.1 or 2.40.1 though)
post #1102 of 1448 Old 06-01-2010, 10:36 AM

Liked: 14
Can someone break down the pros and cons of LED LCD vs Plasma? Thanks.
post #1103 of 1448 Old 06-08-2010, 01:16 AM

First time buyer of a flat screen and Im still undecided which I would pick. Have seen both in action and that makes it even harder

Need to read up more in this forums might help
post #1104 of 1448 Old 06-11-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandPixel View Post

Can someone break down the pros and cons of LED LCD vs Plasma? Thanks.

See previous 36 pages

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

It's not a Kuro....it's bigger.
post #1105 of 1448 Old 06-12-2010, 01:40 PM

thought maybe there would be a post or web page somewhere that recaps the real pros and cons of each
post #1106 of 1448 Old 06-14-2010, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Pros & Cons LED (LCD) vs Plasma

LED

pros -

Very bright picture - excellent for environments with lots of light.

Lowest energy consumption

Very good black levels

Capable of extremely accurate picture when adjusted correctly

Extremely detailed picture

cons -

Limited viewing angle - this bothers some people more than others. Piture is normally viewable up to 35-45 degrees off center. However, in my experience with Samsung and Sony LED backlit TV's in home, blacks tend to shift to green or blue when as little as 15-20 degrees off angle which takes away from overall picture accuracy. In my experience, this does not seem to show up as much in retail environments.

Motion - some show visible artifacts during scenes with a great deal of motion. This shows up to my eyes more on film based material sometimes (not always) giving an animated look to faces as if they were computer generated.

Flashlighting. This is mainly a problem on local dimming units where the the number of zones is not great enough to light the screen correctly leading to spotlight type artifacts. This is one that bothers me if my eyes latch on to it. Some people not bothered by it at all.

Cost - currently the most expensive of the competing technologies. Costs are coming down constantly, so this may be a moot point in the coming months.

Plasma

pros

Deep Blacks. Traditionally know for deep blacks. Deeper blacks make the other colors feel more robust. Some of the LED sets can actually produce as deep or deeper blacks than any of the current plasma displays with the possible exception of Panasonics top entries. Panasonic however has had problems with rising (lighter) black levels over the first 2000 hours for the past two to three years. A change in their algorythms for voltage increase for the 2010 models may have corrected this. Still awaiting test data from units with enough hours. Picture still excellent even after the black level rise.

Viewing angle - plasma displays can usually be viewed from almost any angle you can still see the picture without visible deterioration.

Picture - plasma typically has a more film like (softer) picture the LCD. This is a matter of personal preference and the type of viewing you will be doing. LCD has a more intense picture. Of course, using the built in picture controls, you may adjust either picture reasonably close to the other.

Motion - plasma can usually handle any type of motion without problems.

Cost - typically plasma costs less per square inch than LED/LCD sets.

Cons

Reflectivity - plasma screens are subject to light reflections being all glass. Unfortunately, most LED screens are now shiny glass to give deeper blacks, so this could be a toss-up. Both technologies have good to very-good anti-glare coatings. The only way to know how this affects your viewing in your personal environment would be a home test.

Image Retention - although this can be a problem with LCD sets also, plasma can retain an image from a static picture for hours after the picture is removed. Plasma usually has several options to remedy this such as shifting pixels or a scrolling white bar which can erase this. In the last eight years I have owned three plasma sets and three LCD sets and have seen this exactly one time. Did not do anything special to remove it and it went away after about two hours of regular viewig. By the way, image retention can normally only be seen on a black screen and can not be seen on a screen with any content.

Break-in - most plasma manufacturers recommend that you use the device in full screen or zoom mode with no static images or black bars (SD content / 2.35:1 wide screen moves) for the first 100-120 hours. This is to do the initial aging of the phosphors evenly to avoid the permanet lines along the sides where less than full screen content was shown. I have followed this advice for all three of my plasmas and have been fortunate to never have suffered any permanent burn in from less than full screen content.

Summary - there are good to excellent choices available in both categories.

Another option is a traditional LCD using flourescent backlighting. These have less problems with the flashlighting effect of LED based units, as well as a more uniform picture and viewing angle, plus the cost is quite competetive with plasma.

If you are a gamer, motion is always a consideration and most plasma displays handle motion better than LCD. A recent test of several LCD technologies comparing refresh rates revealed that the measure motion handling was nearly identical whether the unit was 60hz, 120hz or 240hz. In blind testing, users could not pick out which set was which based on motion.

As far as deciding, I have a strong prejudice about making decisions based on displays on a retail showroom. The lighting is usually bad and most of the sets are set with Vivid settings which are the least accurate. You can probably make a more informed decision by visiting testing sites such as cNet or Home Theater Magazine or by reading user impressions and concerns here at AVSForum. Remember that the people contributing to this forum are probably pickier and more aware of problems than an average user so attempt to filter some of their concerns with the factors that are important to your buying and viewing decisions.

I have probably left out a number of features pro or con for each, but if so, the error was unintentional. Good luck with your decision and purchasing choice.
gus738 likes this.

David Freeman
post #1107 of 1448 Old 06-14-2010, 01:54 PM

Thanks David.

I have an LG 50PK750 plasma on the way, but I only bought it because I got a really good deal. I was planning to sell it for a lesser expensive model, but it seems I cannot find much of a screen for under $800 or so. Prices really shoot up when you get above 32". There is a 42" LED/LCD from ProScan for $650 that I have been considering, but not sure about off-brand. I like the thin form factor of LED and some plasmas, but it's not a necessity. Someone mentioned input lag on the PK550, but not sure if it is an issue on the PK750. Anyway, just don't like the idea of a reflective screen, which is one reason I don't like plasmas. But maybe it's not so much of a problem.

Just looking for an inexpensive but capable screen. Any thoughts?
post #1108 of 1448 Old 06-15-2010, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Actually the reflective screen is not an issue in my home which has a lot of light but little if any directly on the screen. I like plasma and so far prefer it over any LCD I have sampled in someone's home. As I said above, almost all sets look bad (to my eyes) at Best Buy, Sears and the rest. I have been fortunate to be able to sample quite a few newer units in homes of friends, relatives and co-workers because I have been able to BS them into believing I really know what I am talking about and have been asked to make adjustments to their TV so it will look like mine.

I have seen both the LG 550 and 750 at Sears and they both looked dang good to my eyes with outstanding pricing. My current main TV is a 50" Panasonic V10 series from last year. Even though I have experienced the rising black level issue (blacks becoming dark gray instead of black), the set still has an outstanding picture and I continue to get compliments on it whenever we have company to watch college football and basketball.

Since college sports is at a standstill (except for baseball), I have a lot of time to try and watch about 25 new Blu-Rays that have been given to me for various presents since Christmas.

I hope you enjoy your LG and receive many years of good service.

David Freeman
post #1109 of 1448 Old 06-15-2010, 02:08 PM

Actually I just noticed the 42PJ350 for $550. It is 720p but I think I am fine with that. It is also a very nice looking display from what I can tell. Opinions? How would this compare with the 50PK750?
post #1110 of 1448 Old 06-17-2010, 07:11 PM

okay, so my 50PK750 arrived today (got a really great price). It's still in the box. I was going to sell it (because of cost) and buy a less expensive set. I was settled on the 720p Zenith Z42PJ240 (same as LG 42PJ350) until I went to Sears to look at all the sets. I noticed right away that all of the LCD's looked so much brighter than the plasmas. Why again do we promote plasmas as a competitive alternative to LCD?

I did order another set yesterday, a 1080p LG 42LD450 LCD, again really great price, and much less than I paid for the 50PK750.

Essentially I have 3 choices. 1) Sell them both and buy the Z42PJ240. 2) Sell the 50PK750 and keep the 42LD450. 3) Sell the 42LD450 and keep the 50PK750.

Any input on this? Looking for info on how they would compare to each other. I know there's lots of info out there but it's just helpful to talk about it and get diff perspectives.
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page