It's Official: Wife hates Glossy Bezels - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 56 Old 12-18-2006, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Finally got the wife into BB and simply asked her to look at the various sets and comment on anything she likes and what things she doesn't. Didn't mention anything to her beforehand due to her high impressionability factor.

First negative thing right away was the high gloss bezels we all know and (mostly) love. Seems she is not interested in daytime art. Prefers the look of sets like the Pannys or matte black bezels found on some others. Also, she really doesn't like the high reflectivity of some panels glass like the Sammys and of course Pios to a lesser degree, especially off angle. Seems most of the glossy, reflective bezel sets make this even more pronounced to her eyes.

Of course she says that her take on these things should not preclude me (the majority viewer...make that pants wearer ) from getting what I want. She says she can see getting a 50" HD to replace our 42" ED and I immediately tell her I'm not interested in 50" anymore...want to wait a good bit and go bigger still...up to 60" and 1080P perhaps when it comes in that size.

Would have gone for the 6070 with future price drops but now...who knows?
I have to admit...not only did I know she would not like the high gloss...I've kinda been on the fence about it myself. I see hot spots on the bezel from almost any lighting source right on the picture edge which seems very distracting.

Anyone feel the same? Are we making too much out of it and it really isn't that noticeable during normal viewing with average room lighting?

Have all that you want ... just want what you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old 12-18-2006, 09:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeBar View Post

Anyone feel the same?

Yup - same at my house. Glossy bezels and reflective screens are out. We've just ordered a Sony KDL-46V2500 with a matte bezel (but it does have a little bit of non-shiny silver coloured trim, though).

john a
post #3 of 56 Old 12-19-2006, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks John.

I see a ton of LCDs with matte bezels. Probably get the wife a 32" for upstairs craft room. She doesn't want too big a set in that small room. Plasma makers need to incorporate different looks into their designs. I guess they figure with a big reflective panel sitting in front of you...what's a little more reflection in the bezel? I don't mind the glass reflectivity myself. After years of CRT it's no biggie. Our Main viewing room is not wide so when lighting is controlled there is no problem. Our ED has a fairly diffuse non-glare outer glass anyway.

But I still can't figure out why having a mirror finish bezel is a good thing other than wall decor. Seems entirely impractical for the real purpose of the set.

post #4 of 56 Old 12-19-2006, 06:51 AM

Quote:

Anyone feel the same? Are we making too much out of it and it really isn't that noticeable during normal viewing with average room lighting?

Bezel...what bezel? (or course the glass is quite reflective, but when there's source material being presented it's less noticeable)

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong; but time and chance happens to them all.
post #5 of 56 Old 12-19-2006, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Paint the bezel with flat black if you MUST have a non-glossy surround to your picture. But don't tube the 6070 just because . . .

I have a 5070, and the bezel is the last thing I see when it is displaying a gorgeously life-like picture. And the 6070 is even better IMHO.

my .01 (worth half as much)
post #6 of 56 Old 12-19-2006, 07:25 AM

When my better half and I were shopping, we both agreed we really did not like the look of the silver bezels. If the silver hadn't bothered us, we may have bought a Panny. We both liked the piano black, except for on one of the Samsungs, which when viewed from an angle you could see it was wavy (I don't see how a company can let something like that go to the market).

I did have a little concern that the gloss black would be distracting, but it didn't bother us in the store, so we decided to go for it and got the Pio 5070. So far it hasn't been a bit distracting. I don't notice the bezel at all when watching. It just seems to disappear when there is content on the screen.
post #7 of 56 Old 12-19-2006, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
My wife I preferred the gloss black bezel. Much more of an elegant look and less distracting picture wise. But concerning the glass, I found the Samsung glass much less reflective than the Panisonic.

Jon
post #8 of 56 Old 12-19-2006, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Finally got the wife into BB and simply asked her to look at the various sets and comment on anything she likes and what things she doesn't. Didn't mention anything to her beforehand due to her high impressionability factor.

First negative thing right away was the high gloss bezels we all know and (mostly) love. Seems she is not interested in daytime art. Prefers the look of sets like the Pannys or matte black bezels found on some others. Also, she really doesn't like the high reflectivity of some panels glass like the Sammys and of course Pios to a lesser degree, especially off angle. Seems most of the glossy, reflective bezel sets make this even more pronounced to her eyes.

Of course she says that her take on these things should not preclude me (the majority viewer...make that pants wearer ) from getting what I want. She says she can see getting a 50" HD to replace our 42" ED and I immediately tell her I'm not interested in 50" anymore...want to wait a good bit and go bigger still...up to 60" and 1080P perhaps when it comes in that size.

I have to admit...not only did I know she would not like the high gloss...I've kinda been on the fence about it myself. I see hot spots on the bezel from almost any lighting source right on the picture edge which seems very distracting.

No wories mate. Just get a Pioneer 507cmx w/KeyDigital card, their commercial display. It has a dark matte surround that looks great. But the real kikker is that it has PQ equal to or better than the Elite at a price a bit less than the 5070!!!!

Call Chris at Cleveland Plasma a forum sponsor listed at the bottom of the forum. That is how I discovered this treasure.

Cheers,

Gary
post #9 of 56 Old 12-19-2006, 12:27 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:

Now there's a smart woman with obvious taste. Shiny black plastic = CHEAP & TACKY LOOKING

YMMV...

ron
post #10 of 56 Old 12-19-2006, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

Now there's a smart woman with obvious taste. Shiny black plastic = CHEAP & TACKY LOOKING

YMMV...

ron

I picked up the panny 600u, partly for this reason over the Pio, and because the 60u is much better looking than the 60u.
post #11 of 56 Old 12-19-2006, 03:55 PM

Why don't you get a 65" 1080p 9UK?

It's not much more than the Pio 6070 and it seems to satisfy all your needs.
post #12 of 56 Old 12-19-2006, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Time to get a new wife
post #13 of 56 Old 12-19-2006, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 154
If she's paying for the TV fine but if not it's none of her business. Is your money really your wifes decision power? Not in my House. A survey was done on this forum back in the summer and I believe the results were overwhelming over 80% I believe) in favor of BLACK! The Panny outdated silver was last!

Though my wife made my life Hell on an SXRD I bought as she hated the form factor of RPTV and I gave in but she got no votes on the bezel. BTW I had a piano black Sharp 45" and I had no reflections and at night the bezel disappeared as the brightness of the display is all you could see not the bezel. I gave in and bought a far more costly TV but I draw the line at picking the bezel B.S. since she isn't spending any of her money on my toys. She wants to buy she can pick though.

Samsung 65F8000, 60D8000, 40HU6350, Panasonic 50E60 LCD's
post #14 of 56 Old 12-19-2006, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Philips and Samsung flat-panels have black bezels, but Samsung's is shinier.
post #15 of 56 Old 12-20-2006, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sony View Post

Why don't you get a 65" 1080p 9UK?

It's not much more than the Pio 6070 and it seems to satisfy all your needs.

Actually a great suggestion, as well as the one from itigap...

But the reason we don't go with a commercial panel is we both enjoy having a full TV and we don't wall mount, at least not in our present location. She likes the convenience of casually watching TV on our present set without the HT (it has great sound). That's why I run both CC and DVR to the same set...and will do so with any future sets. It comes in very handy when the local Comcast screws the pooch with some regularity. There are times I get things on the card that are missing from the box and vice versa. Other times the box gets locked up and won't respond to the remote until it wants to...getting better though.

Westa ---

I always have say over these matters...but I want her to enjoy it too...like other things in life...if you get my drift. If a man hasn't learned this after 30 years of marriage he's never going to...

Besides, I have some reservations as well. I know why people like the look...I just think it works better when wall mounted...as would any reflective, mirror-like surface...rather than sitting lower on a credenza. To my eye it's just meant to look like eye candy when the set is off. The question isn't simply one of Black vs. Silver though. I like matte black and just wished we saw it more with Plasma instead of LCD.

Whoady ---

I am strongly considering the 58PX600U...but really like the processing and feature set of the Pios.

I will say it is amazing how many pics are posted with very little reflection showing on the Pio, Samsung, etc. bezel and yet I it hits me every time I see them at the stores no matter the lighting environment.

post #16 of 56 Old 12-20-2006, 07:46 AM

It's not only the wives that hate glossy black, many of my coworkers and I also hate it too. Personnaly I hate anything that is shinny like shiny chrome furniture legs. They have a kinda cheap look. I definitely would not by a TV with glossy black bezel.
post #17 of 56 Old 12-21-2006, 05:07 AM
Advanced Member

My wife hated the Samsung bezel. She was a bit nervous about the 5070 bezel in the store. But she trusted me. The first thing she said when it was in the house: it's not nearly as shiny here as it seemed in the store. Sh

Moral: It's not only PQ that is effected by the bright harsh store lighting.
post #18 of 56 Old 12-21-2006, 05:17 AM

I love the Pioneer bezel. I like the Samsung, too. They're both preferable to the Panasonic's silver space suit.
post #19 of 56 Old 12-21-2006, 06:28 AM
TNG
AVS Special Member

Bought a Sharp LCD with a shiny black high gloss bezel. Was kinda worried about reflections at the start, but now it is like there may as well be no bezel at all, I never notice it anymore.

You don't buy a set like this for the bezel, you buy it for the PQ. Although we all want it to look nice when it is hanging on the wall turned off, what really counts is the picture. Or did I completely miss the whole point of this section of AVS?
post #20 of 56 Old 12-21-2006, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Of course PQ is king with me too. The only sets I would consider would be tops in PQ. But some have highly reflective bezels and some don't. Most people I know rarely watch TV (as opposed to DVD viewing) in a dark cave. Even at night there may be a light on. I worry I will be seeing stupid mirror reflections on the bezel of the great picture I'm watching which would be distracting to say the least. The mind can be trained or habitualized to overlook a good many things...hot spots right on the edge of a great picture is not one I would like tackle.

As an aside, how many great paintings have you ever seen framed in reflective material? How many paintings of any kind? I guess the art museums of the world all missed the trick here.

post #21 of 56 Old 12-21-2006, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

My wife never allows tv/movie viewing in a dark room. There's always a minimum of 3 100 W ceiling cans going. I never notice refelction on the bezel, but I can get pretty immersed in what is going on the screen, even with SD.
post #22 of 56 Old 12-21-2006, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoady4Shoady View Post

I picked up the panny 600u, partly for this reason over the Pio, and because the 60u is much better looking than the 60u.

There's something we can all agree on
post #23 of 56 Old 12-21-2006, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by remotecontrolled View Post

I love the Pioneer bezel. I like the Samsung, too. They're both preferable to the Panasonic's silver space suit.

Yeah, agree with you there - I don't like the silver or fat bezels - went with the Sharp Aquos, wife didn't care one way or the other, as long as we got something to replace our dying (blinking) 32" CRT - although she probably would have preferred something a little smaller, but I didn't give her that option (and now its in place, she likes it a lot)
post #24 of 56 Old 12-21-2006, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
NEC's have flat black bezels....ohhh and Great PQ Too!

Long Live The Gorn!
post #25 of 56 Old 12-21-2006, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvader View Post

NEC's have flat black bezels....ohhh and Great PQ Too!

But they build monitors, right? And you have to outfit them a la carte like the Panny commercials? Maybe not...but I really like the complete TV. Much simpler to run at the cost of less tweakability. Love NEC look though....but expensive.

post #26 of 56 Old 12-21-2006, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Nope the 50XR5 has everything I need...2HDMI, 2 Component, etc....Unbelievably configurable..They don't have tuners..or built in speakers..(can add on)... but I have a cable box and AVR for that... NEC makes both Consumer and Commercial...Its just the NEC are not sold in Major B&Ms...

http://www.necvisualsystems.com/cms/.../NEC100519.pdf

I absolutely love mine...still rarely see a better performing Panel...

There are new 60XR6s... and yes they are a bit pricely...

Long Live The Gorn!
post #27 of 56 Old 12-21-2006, 03:05 PM

Is it me or does the title of this thread sound like a line from "A Clockwork Orange"? It's me? Ok.

Then you're trapped in your lovely nest, and the things you used to own, now they own you.
~Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club
post #28 of 56 Old 12-21-2006, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

I'm right there with you. I'm trying to replace the old CRT rear projector in my living room (her room for TV viewing, mine's in the home theater) and she has nixed every TV with a shiny bezel (mostly Samsung). She's not crazy about the refletive glass on plasmas either (neither am I).

Robert Clark
post #29 of 56 Old 12-21-2006, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by remotecontrolled View Post

Panasonic buys their bezels from Mattel
post #30 of 56 Old 12-21-2006, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by omeletpants View Post

Panasonic buys their bezels from Mattel

I didn't know that. Gosh looks like Mattel has gotten cheaper.

Cheers,

Gary
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page