FAQ & RULES LINKS_ Plasma & Panasonic Plasma FAQ - Read First! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1295 Old 03-22-2005, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally posted by vancouver
he is talking native resolution i.e. 1024x768P. your iscan ultra does not send a native signal. Only the iscan HD or HD+ can send it.

The iScan Ultra is native for my ED set (480p), but I get your point. I didn't think until later that he might be referring only to HD Panasonics, not ALL of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1295 Old 03-22-2005, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyplasma
can someone please help me with setting up the tv so that when I watch tv, i don't get the bars? also what is the best setting? when I watch a dvd, i get the black bar on top and bottom, is that normal? is there a way to change it? how do i change the zoom setting so that I can adjust it? well any help is much appreciate as the manual doesn't explain much.

You are probably watching a movie released at 2.35:1 or greater. Your set is 1.78:1, so any movie over about 1.85:1 will show black bars. You can fill the screen with the Zoom setting, but you won't like the results unless you are fond of very tall, skinny actors.

You can verify the format by checking the aspect ratio which usually is listed on the back of the DVD box.

All this assumes you have your DVD player set to 16:9 and your TV to "Full."
post #183 of 1295 Old 03-22-2005, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by stlblufan
I'm referring to all of the consumer HD models. You can't send the panel its native resolution, e.g., 1024x768, except via the (analog) VGA input on the front panel, which has its own limitations. To what specific panny's have you had success sending native resolution?

which limitations are you refering to? I send native to my plasma via the VGA with no limitations. By the way, a little off topic but I am having a hard time finding a good VGA cable. The reason I think mine may be picking up interference is sometimes I see the odd flickering of black levels. WOuld sticking one of those ferrets on the end of the cable or what ever they are called help? I am wondering becuase they are meant to reduce interference and I have seen some cable with them build on the end.
post #184 of 1295 Old 03-22-2005, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
...WOuld sticking one of those ferrets on the end of the cable or what ever they are called help? I am wondering becuase they are meant to reduce interference and I have seen some cable with them build on the end.

"Ferrite cores." Yes, they are intended to reduce interference, though I don't know about the type you are experiencing. Worth a try, though, because they are a lot cheaper than new cables.

In fact, you may already have some lying around. They were packed with my PD25U and I assume other Panasonics as well (but are one of the things omitted from the 50U). If not, I'm sure they are readily available from Radio Shack or other electronic parts store.
post #185 of 1295 Old 03-22-2005, 09:55 AM

Can anybody spell out the differences between the PX25U models and the upcoming PX50U models? Has anybody seen these for sale yet?
post #186 of 1295 Old 03-22-2005, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mlabrinos
Can anybody spell out the differences between the PX25U models and the upcoming PX50U models? Has anybody seen these for sale yet?

Not out yet. You can keep up with what is known here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1
post #187 of 1295 Old 03-22-2005, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfan424
"Ferrite cores." Yes, they are intended to reduce interference, though I don't know about the type you are experiencing. Worth a try, though, because they are a lot cheaper than new cables.

In fact, you may already have some lying around. They were packed with my PD25U and I assume other Panasonics as well (but are one of the things omitted from the 50U). If not, I'm sure they are readily available from Radio Shack or other electronic parts store.

Yeah I have like 10 of them laying around that came with my plasma. What type of interferences are there? and what would the Ferrite cores help with? Would it be worth sticking more then one on the same cord if I have it?
post #188 of 1295 Old 03-22-2005, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Not out yet. You can keep up with what is known here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0&pagenumber=1

Thanks I saw that. Don't see the difference with PX25U. What's new on the PX50U.
post #189 of 1295 Old 03-22-2005, 01:27 PM

Quote:
WOuld sticking one of those ferrets on the end of the cable or what ever they are called help? I am wondering becuase they are meant to reduce interference and I have seen some cable with them build on the end.

It might and it is something that is required per the manual that came with my commercial 7uy - for specifically any cord coming from a pc (i.e. the vga cord and any audio cords from the pc). I forget which end the ferrite cores were supposed to be installed but putting one on both ends - as some vga cables already have - couldn't hurt (I think).
post #190 of 1295 Old 03-22-2005, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
which limitations are you refering to? I send native to my plasma via the VGA with no limitations. By the way, a little off topic but I am having a hard time finding a good VGA cable. The reason I think mine may be picking up interference is sometimes I see the odd flickering of black levels. WOuld sticking one of those ferrets on the end of the cable or what ever they are called help? I am wondering becuase they are meant to reduce interference and I have seen some cable with them build on the end.

Well there are at least two "limitations" that are immediately apparent, and there may be others of which I am not aware. The first and most obvious, of course, is that it is a front panel connection. The second is that it is an analog connection. I have also heard that the Panasonic panels have some issues with HD sources input via VGA, but because I am using the HDMI input, I have not researched this at all.

FWIW, it finally dawned on me that the reason Panny panels don't accept the native rez is that Panny does not use ALIS technology. Instead, each pixel is a discrete physical unit, which I believe means that they are rectangle. I think that, in turn, means that a standard scaler wouldn't be able to map the pixels properly.
post #191 of 1295 Old 03-22-2005, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by stlblufan
FWIW, it finally dawned on me that the reason Panny panels don't accept the native rez is that Panny does not use ALIS technology. Instead, each pixel is a discrete physical unit, which I believe means that they are rectangle. I think that, in turn, means that a standard scaler wouldn't be able to map the pixels properly.

This is only true of the 42" HD models which have 1024x768 pixels.
post #192 of 1295 Old 03-22-2005, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by mjlee
This is only true of the 42" HD models which have 1024x768 pixels.

True, thanks for the clarification.
post #193 of 1295 Old 03-22-2005, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yeah I have like 10 of them laying around that came with my plasma. What type of interferences are there? and what would the Ferrite cores help with? Would it be worth sticking more then one on the same cord if I have it?

I'm no engineer, but RFI and EFI come to mind (radio frequency interference and electromagnetic [electrical?] frequency interference). They create various kinds of noise that can be seen in the picture, wavy lines, bright flashing dots, etc. I'm sure you've seen them somewhere at sometime or another. The ferrite cores attenuate those, acting much like a filter, I guess.

Usually one per connection is considered enough, generally mounted near the "in" end. I saw two suggested someplace, so that's what I used on my main component connection since Panasonic generously gave me more than I needed otherwise. Probably overkill, but I used one at each end because I used to have quite a bit of EFI with my old TV. I could sometimes "see" my refrigerator or wall furnace running. I have a number of other small motors nearby as well.

I might have left the ferrite cores in the box like most people, but my EE daughter was in town when I set up my plasma and she thought I should install them, so I did. I've had no RFI or EFI problems since, but I don't know whether the ferrite cores had anything to do with that or not.

I'm not sure they will solve your problem, which doesn't sound like noise, but it won't cost you anything other than a few minutes time to give them a try. They are easy to put on, and they won't do any harm. They must have some value or you wouldn't see them on so many computer connections.
post #194 of 1295 Old 03-22-2005, 04:31 PM

Quote:

I have a 50phd7UY, which does not exhibit the changing black levels described in this and other threads. I know this has been repeated a number of times, but to reinforce the issue. Make sure you don't have the Picture Menu set to "Auto". This engaged the C.A.T.S. sensor which automatically senses the ambient light in your room, and changes the brightness of your monitor.

Also, make sure that if you have the "Advanced Settings" turned on you do not have the AGC turned on. This will also automatically adjust the brightness of the dark areas of your picture as different scene's change brightness.

I played with all these settings, and the above two, seemed to be the culprits on the 50uy. Black level change was extremely evident with either turned on. Black level changes disappeared when both were disabled.
post #195 of 1295 Old 03-22-2005, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xandypx
I have a 50phd7UY, which does not exhibit the changing black levels described in this and other threads. I know this has been repeated a number of times, but to reinforce the issue. Make sure you don't have the Picture Menu set to "Auto". This engaged the C.A.T.S. sensor which automatically senses the ambient light in your room, and changes the brightness of your monitor.

Also, make sure that if you have the "Advanced Settings" turned on you do not have the AGC turned on. This will also automatically adjust the brightness of the dark areas of your picture as different scene's change brightness.

I played with all these settings, and the above two, seemed to be the culprits on the 50uy. Black level change was extremely evident with either turned on. Black level changes disappeared when both were disabled.

interesting..where do you find the advanced settings when using VGA input?
post #196 of 1295 Old 03-22-2005, 07:52 PM

Quote:
interesting..where do you find the advanced settings when using VGA input?

On the 50phd7UY, the "Advanced Settings" are located on Page 2 of the "Picture" menu. When you scroll down past the "Sharpness" control, it will take you to the second page of the Picture Controls
post #197 of 1295 Old 03-23-2005, 09:37 AM

hello everyone again, I have yet another question. I hooked up my ps2 with component connection and connected to the tv. Man the quality and graphics are insane. Its so chrisp and sharp. Well I changed the view and set it on 1040i and man is it sharp. I was just wondering if playing PS2 for like 2-3 hours could cause burn in and what not. I know there are a few thread about burn in and I will read them but would like a quick answer. Thanks.
post #198 of 1295 Old 03-28-2005, 12:23 PM

Hi all,

I just installed my TH-42PWD7UY i'm loving it! This forum was instrumental in my purchase decision. I'll send some pics once I have a few more things worked out.

Right now I have the a Sony DVD player hooked up to the plasma. It's not progressive scan/upscaling, but it does have comonent video out. I will be buying the Panny DVD-S97 shortly.

Here are my questions:

Where can I find info on the aspect ratio's? I'm seeing my DVD of LOTR, The Two Towers show the following modes:
Normal(with bars)
Zoom
Full
Just

What do these modes mean, and what are the benefits/drawbacks of each?

On a side note, in a different input setting(nothing connected yet), I see the Panasonic Auto under the aspect ratio. Yet, I don't see this mode under the DVD input. Am I midding something here?

Also, I remember seeing a submit your Plasma settings string a little while ago. I can't seem to find it now. Does anyone have it?

Thanks in advance,

Sky
post #199 of 1295 Old 03-28-2005, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skyjuice
Hi all,

I just installed my TH-42PWD7UY i'm loving it! This forum was instrumental in my purchase decision. I'll send some pics once I have a few more things worked out.

Right now I have the a Sony DVD player hooked up to the plasma. It's not progressive scan/upscaling, but it does have comonent video out. I will be buying the Panny DVD-S97 shortly.

honestly the de-interlacer in your plasma will probably be the same as the one in the Panny DVD-S97. Make sure you dont waste your money on something you already have i.e. a DVD with a de-interlacer (progress scan DVD player) unless you know for a fact the one in the plasma is not as good as the one in the dvd player.
post #200 of 1295 Old 03-28-2005, 01:37 PM

Vancouver,

I'm not sure I follow you.

My current DVD player is 4+ years old. It's definitely not progressive scan. However, it does have component video out.

Are you saying the the S97 will not provide a much better signal than my current setup?

Also, I will be connecting the S97 to the plasma via an HDMI connection.

Thanks,

Sky
post #201 of 1295 Old 03-28-2005, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Vancouver,

I'm not sure I follow you.

My current DVD player is 4+ years old. It's definitely not progressive scan. However, it does have component video out.

Are you saying the the S97 will not provide a much better signal than my current setup?

Also, I will be connecting the S97 to the plasma via an HDMI connection.

Thanks,

Sky

what I meant to say is this. ALL dvds are 480i (interlaced). Either your DVD player or your plasma will de-interlace it (make it progressive). Many people have wasted money on buying progressive dvd players not realizing that many TVs have a de-interlacer already built in. So my recomendation is dont buy the DVD player simply becuase its progressive, because what you are seeing on your plasma right now with your current DVD player is a progressive picture. That is a fact.

Your only benefit that I can see is using the HDMI connection. Bare in mind that HDMI was not made primarily for picture quality, but rather a way to encript HD signals (HDCP). I have yet to hear that HDMI consistantly makes a for a better picture quality then component, but to some it may.

If you want my opinion. Do some research and find a DVD player or external processor that you know is better then the one you already have in your plasma.

follow me?
post #202 of 1295 Old 03-28-2005, 03:36 PM

what I meant to say is this. ALL dvds are 480i (interlaced). Either your DVD player or your plasma will de-interlace it (make it progressive). Many people have wasted money on buying progressive dvd players not realizing that many TVs have a de-interlacer already built in. So my recomendation is dont buy the DVD player simply becuase its progressive, because what you are seeing on your plasma right now with your current DVD player is a progressive picture. That is a fact.

Your only benefit that I can see is using the HDMI connection. Bare in mind that HDMI was not made primarily for picture quality, but rather a way to encript HD signals (HDCP). I have yet to hear that HDMI consistantly makes a for a better picture quality then component, but to some it may.

If you want my opinion. Do some research and find a DVD player or external processor that you know is better then the one you already have in your plasma.

follow me?

Very Very interesting. So how do I find out if the Panny S-97 has a better de-interlacer than my 7UY?

-Sky
post #203 of 1295 Old 03-28-2005, 03:59 PM

i have the 97s connected to a 50in 7UY and can see an improvement in picture quality with the hdmi connection. not sure if it can be attributed to deinterlacing as much as staying in the digital realm throughout, but to my eye, it is there.

there is a tradeoff however. when going 1080i via hdmi to the 7UY you lose the ability to adjust aspect with the plasma display. you're now stuck with the 97s controls for zooming and stretching, which are the weakest features on the 97s and lag considerably behind the 7UY in this regard. it's not a problem if you have a 1.85x1 picture, but if you have 2.35x1, you have to watch with bars (a burn-in concern with repeated viewing) or zoom up and blur the picture.

what i have done is either go with the bars for epic-type films, or switch over to a component connection (remember the 7UYs give you four inputs including the RGB which I use) and adjust aspect there if necessary for comedies, etc.

overall, it's a good problem to have because your step-down in PQ to a component connection is not that great since both of these panasonic products are top-drawer in my opinion.

my suggestion: get the 97s to go with your 7UY and sit back and enjoy a helluva picture whatever buttons you push.
post #204 of 1295 Old 03-28-2005, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The Panasonic DVD-S97 uses the Faroudja FLI-2310 deinterlacer which should be better that the one built-in the "7UY" Models. Haven't seen the S97 so I cannot comment. I have a Panasonic RP-82 (Uses the Faroudja FLI-2200) and PQ is definitively superior compared to the TH-37PWD6UY Display doing the deinterlacing.

The only problem with the FLI-2310 chip is still Macroblocking. The latest firmware from Panasonic did improved the problem though. Check out the DVD Forum for more info.
post #205 of 1295 Old 03-28-2005, 06:09 PM

Quote:

It's not progressive scan/upscaling, but it does have comonent video out. I will be buying the Panny DVD-S97 shortly.

Sky

I would wager that your Sony DVD player is actually progressive scan (480P). The indication being that it has component out video jacks. Up-scaling (720P, 1080i), on the other hand is a completely separate thing.

re the deinterlacing... All tabloid reviews for the Panny 7UY series are in agreement... input a progressive scan signal. The deinterlacer in these monitors are not as good as those in most progressive scan players.
post #206 of 1295 Old 03-28-2005, 06:13 PM

I'm buying the PWD 7UY-37. And I asked on the dvd board whether it would be worth it for me to get the 97 rather than the f87 or the pioneer 578; and I was told no because the plasma was not hd. So... ???? I haven't purchased my dvd player yet; was what I was told accurate??
post #207 of 1295 Old 03-28-2005, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by msboc
I'm buying the PWD 7UY-37. And I asked on the dvd board whether it would be worth it for me to get the 97 rather than the f87 or the pioneer 578; and I was told no because the plasma was not hd. So... ???? I haven't purchased my dvd player yet; was what I was told accurate??

Theorically Yes.
If you use the Player to upconvert to 1080i or 720p, The Panny Display will downconvert those signals back to Its native resolution 480p.

However, the same way if you use the DVD to output 1080i with the HD Displays , the signal will be downconverted to 768p (42"HD & 50").
Well, some people say that 1080i looks great even with the downconversion. So It could be the same on the 37" or 42" ED Displays right ???

Don't have any experience with such Players so I cannot comment.

msboc, the Panny 97 upconverts only via the HDMI input.
So I guess you should save some money and get a regular progressive player.
post #208 of 1295 Old 03-29-2005, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xandypx
I would wager that your Sony DVD player is actually progressive scan (480P). The indication being that it has component out video jacks.

Don't bet too much. My old Sony DVP-S550D has component outputs, but no progressive scan. I gave a Pioneer DVD player as a gift a couple of years ago, and it was the same.

I run my Sony through an iScan Ultra. and the combination works very well with my 42PD25U.
post #209 of 1295 Old 03-29-2005, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

The last piece of advice I will give is to not worry about seeing black bars durring movies. What ever you do to get rid of them will compremise the PQ. I have a 6th gen plasma and have been watching tons of movies with black bars for the last 6 months and have seen no signs of burn in.
post #210 of 1295 Old 03-29-2005, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Don't bet too much. My old Sony DVP-S550D has component outputs, but no progressive scan.

What are the odds of that?

You win!

Andy
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page