Vizio 50" or 47" vs. RPTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-31-2006, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I keep going back and forth between a Vizio 50" plasma, or the new 47" 1080p LCD, and the Samsung HL-S5088w DLP. Before I drop 2 large on a new set, I thought I'd ask here if the Vizio is worth it. I've looked thru the threads, and have done my due dilligence, but I don't see enthusiastic pro's or con's for the vizios, which is why I've posted here, in this forum.

We'll mostly be watching OTA HD/SD + DishHD. Gaming isn't allowed in the living room, so that's not a consideration. Viewing distance is 9'-11'. Sound will go thru the 5.1 surround system already wired.

The only other consideration is a 4 year old and a 10 mo old who will share the room, and might damage the screen. So more childproofing might actually be a little bit more of a consideration than PQ. (not content, fingerprints, and thrown objects is what I'm conserned about)

-Joel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-01-2007, 11:13 AM

The 50" Plasma is actually very nice. In the price range, it's hard to beat. I've had mine for about a month now, and it's great.

as far as putting children in the same room as the TV, you're on your own

Seriously though, if you wallmount the TV (LCD or Plasma) that should take care of most of the fingerprint issues. By the time the kids are able to reach the TV you should be able to teach them not to touch it. Throwing things at the TV is only and education point. Unless you want to lock it behind bulletproof glass, I think you'll just have to keep an eye on the lil' ones. Oh, and make sure to get the new upgraded strap for your Wii remote

-Jeff
post #3 of 7 Old 01-01-2007, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input.

I was told by someone else that plasma is better if you've got kids b/c the screen is glass, and therefore stronger. Which has made me lean plasma's way.

I'm glad to hear the voice of a happy Vizio owner.

-Joel
post #4 of 7 Old 01-01-2007, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJoel View Post

Thanks for the input.

I was told by someone else that plasma is better if you've got kids b/c the screen is glass, and therefore stronger. Which has made me lean plasma's way.

I'm glad to hear the voice of a happy Vizio owner.

-Joel

Happy with my 46" LCD from Vizio, went with LCD over 50" plasma cuz I'd read that LCD is less prone to damage than plasma.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-01-2007, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Hrm. Mayhaps I'll wait a bit for the 47" LCD 1080p vizio that's just beginning to hit stores.

I don't have a costco anywhere near me, but there have been 47" sightings there.

I don't think I've heard of anyone unhappy with a Vizio, which has been my main concern.

-Joel
post #6 of 7 Old 01-02-2007, 07:36 AM

I'd say any concerns over image retention (IR/ghosting/etc) are a bit exagerated, specially with the newer panels (like the 50" Vizio you mentioned). Just have common sense and use the built in screen washer utility every week (or whenever you see IR) and you'd be fine.

My vote is for the 50" plasma; if you can, wait til the 1080p sets come along and the price might drop some.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-02-2007, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

My pick of the 47" LCD over the 50" plasma wasn't image retention, or ghosting, it was mainly the fact that it's the only Vizio w/1080p. And I know I'd hate myself for not gettting 1080p, reguardless of if I'd be able to perceive a difference, I know me well enough to know I'd *know* the difference. That's why the sammy DLP was my other top choice. B/c it is 1080p.

-Joel
Reply Flat Panels General and OLED Technology

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page